Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Yeah I thought about it once but all that manufactured spend stuff seemed like it had so many ways to go terribly wrong.

Same. I've looked into it some and I can't find a risk/reward level I'm comfortable. That said, even my skimming made it abundantly clear that money orders are playing with fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Personally I just lived with my parents for a few more years and mooched off of them so I could work full time and not have to pay rent. I threw gobs of money at them and paid off all my student loans by the time I was 25.

Sure living with your parents sucks but I'm glad I have the opportunity to do that. It also helps that I went to a cheaper school and my parents paid for half my tuition. If they didn't help with tuition I would've only taken an extra year to pay the rest off though.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

nickutz posted:

The only people I know who left our school with a ton of debt were the ones who borrowed more to live in the nicest dorms on campus, then the most expensive off campus student housing. Add in some loans to study abroad and that's how you make a reasonable state school education expensive. I lived in dumps and had a part time job so student loans weren't paying for me to get shitfaced.

This jogged my memory: I know someone who said she racked up ~17k in debt for a year of study abroad in the UK. IIRC it was an exchange (so she was only paying her low in-state tuition for school) but she would do stuff like fly to Italy for the weekend to go shopping on the regular. I know Ryanair is a thing, but still.

I have a hard time calling it 100% BWM because I did a lot of study abroad and it made a huge difference in my post-university life, but uh... there are better-with-money ways to go about it.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Yeah I thought about it once but all that manufactured spend stuff seemed like it had so many ways to go terribly wrong.

I am doing manufactured spend by putting my grad school tuition on credit cards (and paying it off the same week out of savings) since my uni doesn't charge anything to pay by card :getin:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I am doing manufactured spend by putting my grad school tuition on credit cards (and paying it off the same week out of savings) since my uni doesn't charge anything to pay by card :getin:

That's not manufactured spend, that's just being smart about your largest expense. Now convincing your friends to let you pay for them and then they cut you a check...woo baby. That's some MS that will take you around the world first class (or leave you holding the bag for a five figure balance).

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

pig slut lisa posted:

That's not manufactured spend, that's just being smart about your largest expense. Now convincing your friends to let you pay for them and then they cut you a check...woo baby. That's some MS that will take you around the world first class (or leave you holding the bag for a five figure balance).

or get you hit with a tax bill if/when someone figures out that you are acting as a payment processor for profit

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

asur posted:

On what basis do you consider education, I'm assuming higher education based on the context, a right?

It's a cultural thing I think. My country (Poland, for reference) has a very long history of promoting higher education, and has had plenty of foreign regimes prosecute the intelligentsia. It's also in a poor economic state as a result of being in the Soviet sphere of influence for so many years, and investing widely in education is seen as the only way to catch up the West. Historically, education has always been seen as a way of being mentally independent of the occupiers, if not in any other way.

Until a few years ago there wasn't even a level equivalent to a Bachelor's. Culturally, if you have a Bachelor's, you're still considered to be half-done with your studies. Master's level is considered to be the baseline.

Mind you, not everyone is capable of attaining higher education, what I mean by it being a right is that everyone should have no problem with it unless they have performed very, very poorly in High School. There is competition for seats in the most prestigious universities, but it's purely based on academic achievement. Those universities however have zero incentive to keep under-performing students, and are more than happy to dump them, since those students are not a direct source of income.

Scholarships work quite differently. They are not seen as meant to cover tuition costs. There are basically two types of scholarships and grants: social ones, which are meant to help poor families with living costs, and achievement ones, which are meant to be a tangible financial reward for good academic performance.

There's also something called "requested degrees". Those are based on the foreseen needs of the economy in the near future versus enrolment statistics. If a degree is seen by the government (often through requests by businesses) as being valuable in the near future and lacking student interest, those are called requested degrees. If you study a requested degree, you get paid quite a decent chunk of money (about 2/3 of minimum wage for full time work, tax-free).

There are plenty of flaws, and the bureaucracy at universities is ridiculous. But the fact that it didn't cost me anything but effort is a pretty good plus. The other major problem is that there is very little utilisation of this advanced level of education in the economy. People get quite bitter about having spent many, many years studying something and then ending up in a job they could have performed just as well with a high-school level education, except for the impossibility of getting hired unless you have a Masters'.

What really pisses me off is there's plenty of stupid people, usually students from well-off families, who maintain that education should not be free as "too many people have degrees", and that "people get degrees because they feel they should, not because they want to". Usually pointing to the US as a model of educational excellence.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

quote:

Question: Should I buy a car for $25,000 on a $32,000 annual salary?
https://www.yahoo.com/autos/question-of-the-day-should-i-buy-a-25000-car-if-125260361952.html

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

What really pisses me off is there's plenty of stupid people, usually students from well-off families, who maintain that education should not be free as "too many people have degrees", and that "people get degrees because they feel they should, not because they want to". Usually pointing to the US as a model of educational excellence.

So when nearly everyone has a degree, you have to compete in the job market on your own skills and merits rather than rely on a document that says you sat through 4 years of extra schooling? :monocle:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

I bet you wish you had that advice a couple years ago.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Uncle Jam posted:

I bet you wish you had that advice a couple years ago.

e: The situations are pretty different, but regarding my car loan - if I had the advice and followed it? Yes, that would be great. The next car we buy will be in cash, since it's going to be a long time before we can get a financing deal that will be better than that.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 29, 2015

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
P sure you had a thread at that point and everyone was telling you to not buy a new car.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

P sure you had a thread at that point and everyone was telling you to not buy a new car.

I'm specifically talking about the car we bought about 6 months before the thread. That car loan was horrible. It had a cascading effect on our finances that includes our current car. But hey lesson learned. As of yesterday we're $1,800 closer to having it paid off as you likely know, so we've just gotta take the lumps for awhile longer.

Beyond financials I just wish we'd gotten a cooler car if we were going to go into the debt we did for it. I'd feel a little better about it driving a WRX around or something.

I'm not going to post further about myself for this derail though.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
WRXs are lovely cars, you aren't missing anything.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

WRXs are lovely cars, you aren't missing anything.

My 2006 with some work done to it was great. It wasn't a track car sure, but it was by far the most fun daily driver I've had. I can't speak for the newer ones.

e: and it was paid off!

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 29, 2015

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tell me if this is BMW or not.

My wife graduated in December (education degree) and hopefully will have her first year teaching job in the fall. Her student loan payments started this month and she's currently unemployed - should we get her on income based repayment before she starts working?

Are there negative consequences (besides longer payoff and more interest) to getting IBR?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Knyteguy posted:

I'm specifically talking about the car we bought about 6 months before the thread. That car loan was horrible. It had a cascading effect on our finances that includes our current car. But hey lesson learned. As of yesterday we're $1,800 closer to having it paid off as you likely know, so we've just gotta take the lumps for awhile longer.

Beyond financials I just wish we'd gotten a cooler car if we were going to go into the debt we did for it. I'd feel a little better about it driving a WRX around or something.

I'm not going to post further about myself for this derail though.

20 minutes later

Knyteguy posted:

My 2006 with some work done to it was great. It wasn't a track car sure, but it was by far the most fun daily driver I've had. I can't speak for the newer ones.

e: and it was paid off!

nthing the "no posting about yourself" thread rule suggestion.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Weatherman posted:

20 minutes later

Would that apply when everything KG has posted is BWM but he didn't realise it.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Weatherman posted:

20 minutes later

Those were clearly different derails mr super detective. One was straight up car chat, while the other original derail was car finance chat.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Man screw you guys. I usually post pretty decent articles in here.

Devian666 posted:

Would that apply when everything KG has posted is BWM but he didn't realise it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555678&pagenumber=158&perpage=40#post434924227 :smugdog:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Knyteguy posted:

Those were clearly different derails mr super detective. One was straight up car chat, while the other original derail was car finance chat.

boy howdy ya sure got me there tex

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

The Mandingo posted:

Tell me if this is BMW or not.

My wife graduated in December (education degree) and hopefully will have her first year teaching job in the fall. Her student loan payments started this month and she's currently unemployed - should we get her on income based repayment before she starts working?

Are there negative consequences (besides longer payoff and more interest) to getting IBR?

She should definitely apply for IBR as soon as possible. If she's a teacher, look into the federal loan forgiveness program - certain professions (such as teaching) are eligible for loan forgiveness after 10 years of payments. If her debt exceeds 10 years worth of low IBR payments and her teaching job is eligible, it would make the higher interest and slow payoff matter much, much less.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Those are some sweet phones on offer.

Just remember to replace the lead acid battery every couple of years.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Devian666 posted:

Those are some sweet phones on offer.

Just remember to replace the lead acid battery every couple of years.

I have to use a Windows phone that looks like an upgrade to me it probably has more apps

To attempt to get this back on track:
Family can't make it on $105,000/yr

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 30, 2015

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Knyteguy posted:

To attempt to get this back on track:
Family can't make it on $105,000/yr

This is pretty depressing, I know a couple that's exactly like this :smith:

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

Mocking Bird posted:

She should definitely apply for IBR as soon as possible. If she's a teacher, look into the federal loan forgiveness program - certain professions (such as teaching) are eligible for loan forgiveness after 10 years of payments. If her debt exceeds 10 years worth of low IBR payments and her teaching job is eligible, it would make the higher interest and slow payoff matter much, much less.

For jobs that aren't eligible for that program, but you still get in on IBR, after 25 years the debt is forgiven too. However the amount left on the loan after the 25 years is taxed as income, IIRC. That isn't the case for the federal loan forgiveness program.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Mocking Bird posted:

Even better would be the teacher loan forgiveness for 5 years of service you get up to 17,500 forgiven with no tax penalties. https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/teacher

And then I'm pretty sure you can also apply for the 10 year forgiveness if you haven't paid them off before then.

Armacham fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 30, 2015

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
She has looked into the teacher loan forgiveness program, and she would be able to get around $10,000 of the $17,500 available if she could get into a qualifying school. Is the federal forgiveness program available with the teacher loan forgiveness program?

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
"5 Reasons I Lost $9,000 On An iPhone Game": http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-1762-5-reasons-i-lost-249000-iphone-game.html Yeesh.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

The Mandingo posted:

She has looked into the teacher loan forgiveness program, and she would be able to get around $10,000 of the $17,500 available if she could get into a qualifying school. Is the federal forgiveness program available with the teacher loan forgiveness program?

Actually I just did some quick checking and the 10 years would start after the five years of the teacher loan forgiveness grant, so if the balances are very high it may be worth it to just go straight for the 10 year.

Armacham fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 30, 2015

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I played that game for a while and admittedly spent probably around $2,000 over the course of a year in my worst BWM offense in my life. I was very careful to take advantage of any and every opportunity for free gold or to min/max my way around real spending but I still wasted way too much money on a lovely addictive game that took advantage of my depressed state at that time.

That said, I played with the top guys in my kingdom and the amount of real money they spent was staggering, thousands of dollars a day.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
MY KINGDOM

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

cowofwar posted:

That said, I played with the top guys in my kingdom and the amount of real money they spent was staggering, thousands of dollars a day.

Is this hyperbole or are there literally people who spend $2,000+ per day on a phone game

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I refuse to believe it. It can't be true.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Goddam, I went into the wrong industry.

You don't even have to have to exploit people in the third world to maximize your profit.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

pig slut lisa posted:

Is this hyperbole or are there literally people who spend $2,000+ per day on a phone game
I'm not exaggerating. The term to describe these players is "whales". They represent a minuscule number of the player base but are the major sources of revenue for the games.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/how-free-to-play-game-developers-keep-their-high-rollers-hooked

In my realm or whatever there were two players vying for top player. Some guy in China and then some other dude. The Chinese guy played on multiple servers and at one point got wiped out and built back up entirely in one night which would have cost at least $10,000.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Were these people wealthy enough to afford those kinds of expenditures or were you literally watching someone ruin their life over an iPhone game?

My wife spent over $100 on the Family Feud game. Fast money indeed. :(

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

cowofwar posted:

I'm not exaggerating. The term to describe these players is "whales". They represent a minuscule number of the player base but are the major sources of revenue for the games.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/how-free-to-play-game-developers-keep-their-high-rollers-hooked

In my realm or whatever there were two players vying for top player. Some guy in China and then some other dude. The Chinese guy played on multiple servers and at one point got wiped out and built back up entirely in one night which would have cost at least $10,000.

Oh my god. Oh my god.

I can fathom why someone might spend 2x their annual income on a flashy car. I get why someone might overbuy a giant house in an excellent school district that they can't afford. I can empathize with someone who can't grasp the importance of saving for retirement and prefers to keep cash in the mattress, and then spend it all on consumer goods. But this is beyond my comprehension in a way that's frightening.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

pig slut lisa posted:

Oh my god. Oh my god.

I can fathom why someone might spend 2x their annual income on a flashy car. I get why someone might overbuy a giant house in an excellent school district that they can't afford. I can empathize with someone who can't grasp the importance of saving for retirement and prefers to keep cash in the mattress, and then spend it all on consumer goods. But this is beyond my comprehension in a way that's frightening.

It's all about psychology; basically creating a virtual Skinner box and linking it to a relatively unobtrusive way for the player to keep feeding it money. For some people the motivation to win may be intrinsic, but if you throw in the "prestige" of leaderboards (or even just reputation in an informal gaming community) you've now got the carrot dangling at the end of the reward treadmill for those with a more extrinsic reward orientation. People in large part live in their own heads, while succeeding at a F2P game may seem stupid and trivial to most people, it can become wholly consuming once it's in front of you.

I don't play many video games, but as someone who studied psychology as an undergrad I find a lot of aspects of game design pretty darn fascinating :allears:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

pig slut lisa posted:

Oh my god. Oh my god.

There was a pretty article years ago about whales in free to play games and the extent they go nuts. One guy had a finacial job that got paid a great amount of money and how no expenses. So he got into Clash of Clans and was spending hundreds of dollars weekly, also he had multiple ipads to play other people's accounts on while they were doing things like sleeping.

The games are really good skinner boxes, and do a fantastic job of dangling that next thing right in front of someone. Most people will ignore it, a few will maybe throw a dollar or two, even less will spend more, but the whales will spend more then everyone else combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
A coworker worked for a mobile game company and he told me that their record was ~38k USD from one guy in one night, in a battle against another guy who dropped a comparable amount. Guy who spent more won, apparently, but it went on for hours. Some kind of online puzzle battling game with serious pay-to-win.

I probably rank as a whale in one game I play but that only represents a pretty insignificant amount of my income.

• Locked thread