Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Serious question, is this actually possible? I know people have different tolerances and everything, but...

I figured Warren was lying, like "I swear I only had one beer officer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Varam posted:

Yeah, except that's not what actually happens at all :confused:

I guess that I misinterpreted the end of that scene. Still hosed up though.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Zerilan posted:

Yeah, I don't think David deserved to be let off the hook on that so I sided with Chloe, but I really hope I at least get some change to encourage them to try working poo poo out instead of just kicking out David together. Considering just how hosed up we're finding out that poo poo is around Blackwell, it's a lot easier to understand David's paranoia.

Hell, regarding David's surveillance Is it really any worse than all the snooping and manipulation Max ends up doing with her powers?

Davids story is pretty depressing once you get deeper into the game, the chat on the 2nd day kinda eased my initial opinion on him. Winded up siding with him when it came to the decision. Guy knows something bad is going on and can't really trust in anyone with the prescotts running everything. Hes just one lone guy trying to get some hard evidence while trying to sure others don't get roped into the mess. Guess he sorta takes it upon himself since he was a former soldier and probably dealt with some poo poo.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

The heavily worn "How to readjust to life after service" book in his garage softened me to David, but poo poo, man, you don't hit your children, no matter how much of a pain in the rear end they're being. I only sided with him because I thought kicking him out of the house completely wasn't the sort of poo poo Chloe and her mom needed to be dealing with at the moment.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Anyone else notice the bottle gag in the party? There are three bottles you can look at that prompt max to say "Ugh, no more bottles."

Nice to see they have a sense of humour about the fit that people hate the bottle finding section.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Caros posted:

Anyone else notice the bottle gag in the party? There are three bottles you can look at that prompt max to say "Ugh, no more bottles."

Nice to see they have a sense of humour about the fit that people hate the bottle finding section.

I watched a friend play through the game, and the freaking bottle section (along with a couple other, smaller things) were nearly enough to make her swear the whole thing off altogether. poo poo was bad.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

It's made worse by the fact that she doesn't even shoot all the loving bottles :argh:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

VagueRant posted:

I also kinda like Warren. I'm a little wary of him because he's a little clingy and stalkerish, but if he just chilled a bit, he'd be a pretty cool guy. I also liked that he recognised how the beating was a little hosed up - but then he was talking about being "alpha" afterwards and it was like "ew god no."
(And let's be honest, all the poo poo he's done is not nearly as bad as the bullshit I've rewound Chloe out of.)

My bigger issue is trying to figure out if Max the character is more interested in him or...lesbianism.
Serious question, is this actually possible? I know people have different tolerances and everything, but...

I took the "alpha" line as a bit of grim humor at the situation. I doubt he actually thinks that. And yeah, alcohol tolerances vary per person, even to that degree, but him having his drink spiked/lying about how many drinks he's had seems more likely.

:stare: I'm glad I had Max stop Warren right away. That was brutal.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 30, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I refused to side with David, because he not only hit Chloe (and that didn't fly with me from both the standpoint of "that's abuse" and from the standpoint he's the stepfather and barely has the right to even speak to Chloe, let alone hit her), but the surveillance thing. The latter would've been fine if he had told Joyce and Chloe about it, but he kept it a secret, and that wasn't gonna fly with me. Even still it was a little sad when he left with his suitcase in the episode. He just kind of looks sadly the the pictures on the wall and basically says "thanks for destroying my family"

So how does the David thing play out if you sided with him?

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I refused to side with David, because he not only hit Chloe (and that didn't fly with me from both the standpoint of "that's abuse" and from the standpoint he's the stepfather and barely has the right to even speak to Chloe, let alone hit her), but the surveillance thing. The latter would've been fine if he had told Joyce and Chloe about it, but he kept it a secret, and that wasn't gonna fly with me. Even still it was a little sad when he left with his suitcase in the episode. He just kind of looks sadly the the pictures on the wall and basically says "thanks for destroying my family"

Chloe acts like a spoiled child like usual, David and Joyce thanks you, and this episode He thanks you again and warns you that bad stuff is going down around Arcadia Bay and "I have to be a hardass here and tell you and Chloe to stay out of this" and that there are "dark places" in the town that they need to avoid, there's also a funny little bit where he insults Jefferson "I'm allowed to say that since I'm off work and it's behind his back, like how Chloe calls me Step-Douche" then you have to distract him if you want to get his keys to open the locker

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Macaluso posted:

what the guy above said and the fact that he was also tailing jefferson proves that he is a lot more knowledgeable than you might think at first and he has right to be extremely paranoid and want to set up cameras all over the school. not to mention the fact that hes obviously dealing with PTSD... he still manages to be pretty friendly and entertaining(making self deprecating jokes, as well as saying dumb poo poo like the man cave) when he converses with max though and really doesnt give off the same vibes he does in the first episode.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

pog boyfriend posted:

and really doesnt give off the same vibes he does in the first episode.

Well, it's pretty obvious why he acts that way in episode 1when you look at things from his perspective. Chloe's "friends" that he's met up to this point have all been horrible negative influences on her (except maybe Rachel, but he doesn't seem to have known her THAT well.) He didn't know who Max was at all.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

VagueRant posted:

I also kinda like Warren. I'm a little wary of him because he's a little clingy and stalkerish, but if he just chilled a bit, he'd be a pretty cool guy. I also liked that he recognised how the beating was a little hosed up - but then he was talking about being "alpha" afterwards and it was like "ew god no."
(And let's be honest, all the poo poo he's done is not nearly as bad as the bullshit I've rewound Chloe out of.)

My bigger issue is trying to figure out if Max the character is more interested in him or...lesbianism.

One of my friends is a tiny skinny as hell thing, and on medication and disabled. One beer gets her pretty drunk, she does not drink hardly ever or if she does it's like Light Light cider or something.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Macaluso posted:

How would that be fine? There's no good reason to have cameras inside the house, unless you don't trust the people you live with; your own family in this case.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

David's problem is the framing of the first parts of the game seem to be setting him up to be a villain, or at least a minor antagonist. In actuality, he's a relatively benign, if paranoid and controlling, stepfather with an unruly stepdaughter who resents him for minor slights. He's not in the right for hitting Chloe or the surveillance cameras in their rooms, but he's definitely not malicious. We just don't get to see the redeeming qualities in him until after we have the ability to condemn him totally.

Granted, this could all change and David could be literally Satan in Episode 5.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

seravid posted:

How would that be fine? There's no good reason to have cameras inside the house, unless you don't trust the people you live with; your own family in this case.

There isn't, but it's a lot easier to forgive that kind of thing if he actually has permission to do it. I suppose the better wording of it would've been to say "I" would've been fine with it in game if he wasn't hiding it, not that it would've been fine in general

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Malpais Legate posted:

David's problem is the framing of the first parts of the game seem to be setting him up to be a villain, or at least a minor antagonist. In actuality, he's a relatively benign, if paranoid and controlling, stepfather with an unruly stepdaughter who resents him for minor slights. He's not in the right for hitting Chloe or the surveillance cameras in their rooms, but he's definitely not malicious. We just don't get to see the redeeming qualities in him until after we have the ability to condemn him totally.

The fact that all the characters you could have been mean to are conceivably the only ones who could figure out Max's location and rescue her seems like it's going to lead somewhere.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

One thing I appreciate in LiS is that in the first episode all of the antagonistic characters seem to be one-dimensional Bad People. The abusive stepfather, the rich bully and the popular bitch. The only one which gets a bit more depth is Victoria in the paint spilling aftermath. As the series has gone on, each of them has got more and more depth added to them. David is on to the horrible poo poo going on in Arcadia, and is overzealous in his desire to protect his new family. Nathan is legitimately mentally ill and his horribleness is the result of a combination of lack of treatment, horrible parental pressure and Jefferson who to quote his letter "set all this up and shared [his] vast wisdom". Victoria honestly believes that this is the only way to really push her photography out there, by walking over the backs of her fellow students.. The only outright villains that seem to exist are Mr. Jefferson and Sean Prescott.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Macaluso posted:

There isn't, but it's a lot easier to forgive that kind of thing if he actually has permission to do it. I suppose the better wording of it would've been to say "I" would've been fine with it in game if he wasn't hiding it, not that it would've been fine in general

Alright, but I just don't see it as an over-protective thing; how can cameras inside the house protect anyone? They're hidden so they don't work as a dissuasion tool and an alarm system, a moat or a minefield would be much more effective at keeping intruders out and/or giving you warning and time to defend yourself.
The only reason I can see for all those cameras is that they're specifically targeted at Chloe (we have no reason to believe David distrusts Joyce) : he was recording her every move, waiting until she messed up (stealing money or one of his guns, bringing drugs into the house) so he could spring a gotcha tape on her. That's a terrible idea and would only antagonize her further, of course, but if he didn't realize this then he truly isn't fit to be a husband and father and kicking him out is absolutely the right choice.

It doesn't have to be permanent, he can always try to come back after dealing with his issues. That unfinished letter is a good sign.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

seravid posted:

Alright, but I just don't see it as an over-protective thing; how can cameras inside the house protect anyone? They're hidden so they don't work as a dissuasion tool and an alarm system, a moat or a minefield would be much more effective at keeping intruders out and/or giving you warning and time to defend yourself.
The only reason I can see for all those cameras is that they're specifically targeted at Chloe (we have no reason to believe David distrusts Joyce) : he was recording her every move, waiting until she messed up (stealing money or one of his guns, bringing drugs into the house) so he could spring a gotcha tape on her. That's a terrible idea and would only antagonize her further, of course, but if he didn't realize this then he truly isn't fit to be a husband and father and kicking him out is absolutely the right choice.

It doesn't have to be permanent, he can always try to come back after dealing with his issues. That unfinished letter is a good sign.

Honestly he can't really protective anyone if he gets onto the bad side of whatever is happening. Worst case scenario is that he gets the attention of the prescotts and they do something with his family? Then maybe he'd have some evidence to work with sadly, possibly bargining with evidence for safety of his family?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

seravid posted:

Yeah, the letter makes me hope that they'll be able to talk things out seriously and get back together.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

So did anyone else here tapped the rewind button furiously after the slow reveal that Chloe was shot in the head? And then go oh gently caress and punched their own leg when Mr. Jefferson revealed himself? It has been a while since a game got me engaged like that. I'm still processing what happened and what could possibly happen in the next episode.

We've come a long way from the start of the game with Max listening to some indie music and strolling down the school hallway.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Roman Reigns posted:

We've come a long way from the start of the game with Max listening to some indie music and strolling down the school hallway.

Really looking forward to doing a full replay once the last ep is being released to be able to experience that tonal shift all at once, although I'll probably still stick with most of my past decisions. Really only one choice that I'm kind of wavering back and forth on.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Daniel's shirt was the highlight of this episode.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Zerilan posted:

Really looking forward to doing a full replay once the last ep is being released to be able to experience that tonal shift all at once, although I'll probably still stick with most of my past decisions. Really only one choice that I'm kind of wavering back and forth on.

Same here, I think my save is going to be hosed from choosing Belgian waffles..

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Never say no to delicious, fluffy eggy weggs

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

You're only hosed if you picked Amanda Palmer.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My Max is a vegetarian.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Bacon and Eggs is the bad choice because after the happy ending it'll cut to an older Max dying of high cholesterol

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Roman Reigns posted:

I will say I absolutely love the intro and thought it was a great way to introduce the characters and setting. That's not to say it had to stay that way. :unsmigghh:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

My Max is a vegetarian.

She really knows how to toss a salad, eh?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

monster on a stick posted:

You're only hosed if you picked Amanda Palmer.

You take that back right now you heinous monster.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
This tone really seems to have shifted hard with this episode, but not in a forced way. Geez I remember when I was thinking the whole thing was about awkward teenage coming of age or something with Chloe was back in episode one.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

This tone really seems to have shifted hard with this episode, but not in a forced way. Geez I remember when I was thinking the whole thing was about awkward teenage coming of age or something with Chloe was back in episode one.

It's exactly the same kind of tone shift that this.... uh, type of TV show tends to have. They nailed it perfectly

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I also think Warren was drugged at the party , the same way Kate was - we know Jefferson controls them

Malpais Legate posted:

Oh wow, I forgot about that. I remember thinking that Joyce overreacted and David seemed to genuinely love and care for Joyce and Chloe, but putting a camera in his teenager stepdaughters room is pretty hosed up.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I'm not sure any of the cameras were in the bedrooms. I could be wrong.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Re: Cameras, they make a point of showing they're pretty much everywhere - including the main bedroom - but we don't see Chloe's room; no camera there for sure as that would cross a line for no good reason. Still a very hosed up thing to do, as discussed previously.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Okay, finished Episode 4.

I... just... What?! WHAT?! :suspense: ...WHAT?!

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Okay, finished Episode 4.

I... just... What?! WHAT?! :suspense: ...WHAT?!

SHE'S DEAD. SHE'S DEAD. THEY'RE BOTH DEAD.

Somebody hold me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So did the developers pretty much drop that Evan guy? He was in episode 1. And sitting in the bus at the end of episode 3. That's all we ever see of him.
I sort of liked that guy, since he reminds me of someone.

• Locked thread