Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jacquismo
Dec 1, 2003
~~HEY GUYS I'M ON THE RHINOCEROS I MEAN INTERNET~~
I've only gotten through Left so far, but this is what I had originally hoped Ghosts was going to be like. My favorite part so far is the alternate cut of Pilgrimage. Getting rid of those stupid horns and having a colder, more electronic sound is a vast improvement. I typically skip over that track, but I love this version.

I badly want to buy a tangible copy of this, but I'm as likely to see that as a Tension tour DVD at this point. Trent, why won't you take my money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I wonder if this really is the 10 year old CD-R. There's no glitchy production all over it like you'd expect considering his latest output - instead a lot of it is heavier distortion on the drums and different guitar patches. Amazing seed0 never let this one out.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm finally listening to this thing all the way through (on Where Is Everybody? right now). I didn't know how much I needed this in my life until I heard it. This is so loving awesome. I want to listen to this every single goddamn day from now on. I can see so many use cases for this - like this would be great to put on while I'm at work or while driving. I was playing some Batman Arkham Knight earlier while listening to Left and it ruled for that.

I really want to buy a FLAC/WAV copy of this. I hope this isn't something that Trent just throws up on Apple Music and never releases in any other capacity, but knowing him, it probably will be :smith:

e: Jesus Christ, Appendage :circlefap:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 4, 2015

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
It's interesting to be able to finally hear what the original version of Ten Miles High probably sounded like. It's like an intentional attempt at slightly tongue-in-cheek buttrock, or something.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Periodiko posted:

It's interesting to be able to finally hear what the original version of Ten Miles High probably sounded like. It's like an intentional attempt at slightly tongue-in-cheek buttrock, or something.
It's got a cock rock feel with those thrusting "huuuh" sounds.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Man, this is incredible.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Can someone do a screen grab of the artworks from both instrumental playlists from an iPad retina's lock screen? I'm hoping they'll be higher quality than what I've been able to find elsewhere. The ones from the iPhone come to 676x676.

Sefiros
Mar 16, 2006

go radish go

Jacquismo posted:

My favorite part so far is the alternate cut of Pilgrimage.

Is it just me or is this song not actually in the playlist Trent posted?

I found it by searching for it, but as far as I can tell it isn't actually in the Fragile (Instrumental) playlist.

Odd.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Athletic Footjob posted:

Can someone do a screen grab of the artworks from both instrumental playlists from an iPad retina's lock screen? I'm hoping they'll be higher quality than what I've been able to find elsewhere. The ones from the iPhone come to 676x676.

From my iPad Air's screen:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Someone should put red robe Trent into that waterfall

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
The With Teeth instrumentals are well worth it too. All The Love In The World is actually much better without the vocals in my opinion, and most of these songs are interesting enough that it doesn't feel like the vocals are missing. It totally changes the feel of the album and it's really interesting. If you dig hearing things you never noticed then it's definitely worth a bash.

I'm one of those weirdos who really likes With Teeth though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

nomapple posted:

The With Teeth instrumentals are well worth it too.

Wait WHAT?

drat I need to get on this...

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

Sir Lemming posted:

Wait WHAT?

Might be this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fanmQFHZ0zk

The instrumentals are really good, I like The Great Below even more now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ytisomauq posted:

Might be this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fanmQFHZ0zk

The instrumentals are really good, I like The Great Below even more now.
Shiiiiiiiit, I liked The Fragile Instrumental so much that I'm gonna have to listen to this whole thing tomorrow at work. After the former, I'm excited to hear this one.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

Wait WHAT?

Yeah he's done a playlist of those in apple music as well! Excited to see what more stuff we get but I don't want to keep the apple subscription because Spotify is much nicer to use in my opinion.

Gonna dig into The Fragile stuff later today I think.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
He's had TDS instrumentals on that remix site for years.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

He's also posted a video of he and Atticus doing some recording for Gone Girl. Not sure if it's been posted anywhere else, but I hadn't seen it before.

Quote-Unquote posted:

more edit: Apple music asks me to choose my favourite genres and decades, I choose 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s blues, jazz, rock and alternative and it comes up with a page asking to pick my favourite artists out of Whitney Houston, Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys and Limp Bizkit. Great stuff.
I dunno if you ended up figuring it out, but it does mention you can dismiss artists by holding their bubbles (you can also go back and redo that if you didn't). Also the suggestions get much, much better as you tell it artists and songs you like, so heart stuff.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 12, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

sleepwalkers posted:

I dunno if you ended up figuring it out, but it does mention you can dismiss artists by holding their bubbles (you can also go back and redo that if you didn't). Also the suggestions get much, much better as you tell it artists and songs you like, so heart stuff.

I mainly use playlists for just my favorite songs by individual artists, broken up by artist. So I'll have like a "Nine Inch Nails" playlist that's all my favorite stuff by them. I have these for dozens of bands. So I went through and just mass favorited all of them, and now my suggestions are basically spot on.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Big Black Delta is launching a new album pretty soon

quote:

The song 'It's OK' was inspired by a series of difficult events that occurred during the year after Jon completed his tour on BBDLP1, the last Big Black Delta record. This included losing his father to a stroke, finding that all of his gear was stolen, and losing one of his best friends to cancer. Since going public with some of this news, Bates has been inundated with incredible kindness and thoughtful support from friends, musicians, fans and strangers alike. This song is a thank you. A gesture of gratitude to everyone who has been kind — and to the universe itself.
Big Black Delta's forthcoming album 'Tragame Tierra' is due out in January 2016, you can pre-order now via Pledge Music, alongside limited edition and exclusive merchandise:

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/bigblackdelta
http://soundcloud.com/big-black-delta/its-ok

Cool considering the last time I heard anything about him, he had all his equipment stolen.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 14, 2015

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

Big Black Delta is launching a new album pretty soon

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/bigblackdelta
http://soundcloud.com/big-black-delta/its-ok

Cool considering the last time I heard anything about him, he had all his equipment stolen.

Hell yeah I've been waiting for this news

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Yeah, that first LP was fab. Happy to hear he's back on track.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Ha, I'm way behind and had no idea about the stuff on Connect. I really like these, even the with teeth tracks.

Jacquismo posted:

I've only gotten through Left so far, but this is what I had originally hoped Ghosts was going to be like. My favorite part so far is the alternate cut of Pilgrimage. Getting rid of those stupid horns and having a colder, more electronic sound is a vast improvement.

Awww, Ghosts had its moments. But I definitely agree about Pilgrimage. It fits better on the album in this version, honestly.

Use Less
Jun 14, 2007
Non-Consumerist
Yesterday's news, and potential "hearsay", but...

http://www.spin.com/2015/07/trent-reznor-david-fincher-fight-club-rock-opera/

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
i'm having trouble picturing how that would work in that format. the dust brothers' soundtrack worked so well and was great for the atmosphere - anonymous, gritty hip hop. i can't imagine the types of songs they would use that would work both as musical theater and the right mood for fight club

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Dust brothers are not "gritty" hip hop FYI break beats with a trip hop veneer but really far too fast to be trip hop

This is the coolest rumor I've heard so I'm gonna assume it's true

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

T-Rez still lookin' for that EGOT.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Yeah I dunno about that description of Dust Bros but I like the Fight Club soundtrack a lot. I think Reznor's take could still be interesting, though.

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
yeah, bad description but i'm curious how that sound influences this project, if at all. hard for me to distance "rock opera" and camp. anyone other than trent and I would be less optimistic

i've always wondered what radioheads score would have been like (originally considered to do the soundtrack)

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Wait, Radiohead? I'd never heard that. What a strange choice.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The diversity of his output lately has been pretty amazing. Dude has clearly shaken off whatever haunted his earlier career and he's infinitely better for it.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

ascalapha odorata posted:

Wait, Radiohead? I'd never heard that. What a strange choice.

Kid A era Radiohead might have worked pretty well, but OK computer was the most recent release when fight club came out so yeah, strange.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

il_cornuto posted:

Kid A era Radiohead might have worked pretty well, but OK computer was the most recent release when fight club came out so yeah, strange.

I wouldn't expect a film soundtrack to necessarily sound like any of their albums. Johnny Greenwood has been composing orchestral pieces, including film scores, for some years now and it sounds nothing at all like Radiohead. While Fight Club of course came out before any of his soundtracks, he'd likely been developing his style as a composer for quite some time before that and I imagine that if Radiohead were commissioned for a film soundtrack they would probably rely pretty heavily on his skills in that area.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jul 21, 2015

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Fitter, Happier really fits well thematically for Fight Club actually, along with a lot of the existential angst of OK Computer in general. Wouldn't have fit musically, but thematically it makes sense.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Earwicker posted:

I wouldn't expect a film soundtrack to necessarily sound like any of their albums. Johnny Greenwood has been composing orchestral pieces, including film scores, for some years now and it sounds nothing at all like Radiohead. While Fight Club of course came out before any of his soundtracks, he'd likely been developing his style as a composer for quite some time before that and I imagine that if Radiohead were commissioned for a film soundtrack they would probably rely pretty heavily on his skills in that area.

Wasn't Fight Club something like a decade before There Will Be Blood though? I'm not sure how developed they would have been then.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

spamman posted:

Wasn't Fight Club something like a decade before There Will Be Blood though? I'm not sure how developed they would have been then.

yeah but he did some smaller projects in the early 2000's, and I kind of doubt he pulled those out of nowhere, he'd clearly been developing his style for a while

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Finally got to listen to the Fragile instrumental rough cut. I love how the album in this form seems to gradually take on a more demented feeling, right around "The Mark Has Been Made". Really more due to the presence of the B-sides than the instrumentalness itself, I suppose.

Edit to avoid doubleposting:
Listening to the With Teeth instrumentals, I'm struck by the fact that "Love Is Not Enough" mostly has programmed drums, even though it's probably the song that would've benefited most from a more live sound. Even though on most of the other tracks, I'm longing for the exact opposite.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 27, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've had With Teeth Instrumental bookmarked for weeks but I'm just now getting around to listening to it. This is really loving dope. A good work soundtrack.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
HEALTH has an album coming out August 7th. Death Magic.

http://www.npr.org/2015/07/29/425893138/first-listen-health-death-magic

Also holy gently caress it's been six years since Get Color released.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 30, 2015

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Call Me Charlie posted:

HEALTH has an album coming out August 7th. Death Magic.

http://www.npr.org/2015/07/29/425893138/first-listen-health-death-magic

Also holy gently caress it's been six years since Get Color released.

I have no idea how these guys don't have more exposure, I feel like I'm the only one freaking out here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pirate Jet posted:

I have no idea how these guys don't have more exposure, I feel like I'm the only one freaking out here.
Their soundtrack to Max Payne 3 was what really turned me on to them. That thing was out of this loving world. And the couple singles they've put out from this new record so far sound rad as hell, so I'm looking forward to hearing the whole thing. Which I will probably do today since I just realized that's a full album stream link you posted, CMC :v: