Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

unwantedplatypus posted:

Now I'm just wondering what expert hardmode will be like, I hope I'm prepared.

Green Slimes with 200+ HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

The Gorp posted:

Apart from going completely insane on a quest for vampire knives, any other tips for soloing the final boss?

First off, you don't have to get the vampire knives for the moon lord, he has a debuff that negates the lifelink from them, which considering they don't do a whole lot of damage makes them one of the worst weapons for the moon lord even if that debuff isn't on 100% of the time. They help wonders with the other bosses, but they mostly just hinder you with the moon lord. Second off, movement? Overrated. I managed to make an "arena" that means I don't have to move an inch while still letting me fight the moon lord.

Let me present the Beard:

It's kind of a crude version of an arena someone else in the thread used. My first version just had the dirt, the heart lantern and the campfire, I had my first moon lord kill with the sharpening station and the minion altar but I had to hop down my hellevator to stay alive during the second phase. The honey, when combined with some accessories and the solar armor while using the 200 HP potions, almost completely negates the need for moving.

So the main idea is the side walls stop some (like one or two) of the attacks from the hands and that dirt bit in the center stops the laser from the middle eye. The reason it's not a closed box is to make it easier to let yo-yos out, though I've read that those can go through 1 block walls, so whatever, I've not actually seen that happen and the way I constructed the thing might interfere with that ability. The real things keeping you alive are the regen items. The wiki says the campfire doesn't work during the moon lord fight, but I still get the buff listed, so maybe that only applies to the expert mode fight?

The accessories I use are a cross necklace, a celestial stone, a yo-yo bag, a charm of myths, and a worm scarf, all warding. I get away with not using my ankh shied by grappling onto the dirt. The weapons used should be an Eye of Cthulu yo-yo (this gets upgraded to a Terrarian once you kill moon lord and one drops), a Solar Eruption, and a Stardust Dragon (note that the dragon hitting things prevents the solar eruption from hitting them, because reasons). You will need the beetle armor, I haven't tried the defensive version, so I guess just use the offensive version. You're gonna need buffs to survive, I generally use the endurance potion, the ironskin potion, the lifeforce potion, the regen potion, the summoning potion, the rage potion, the wrath potion, a pumpkin pie and an ichor flask, as well as the minion altar and sharpening station buffs. Once you have the Solar Armor you can choose not to use the buffs.

There's some places I could improve the design, like the side walls are a bit too high, I could install some heart statues, and the middle part can be lowered a bit to prevent more of the True Eye of Cthulu eye lasers in the second phase. I've only died once since I got the solar armor, the second phase is where poo poo gets dangerous because of the eyes flying around, there's some attacks they do that hurt a lot and things can depend on them just doing the weaker attacks. As a note, you would think that the expert golem drop would help a lot because you don't move, but if you attack or get hit it stops the regen, so it pretty much does nothing.

So yeah, that's my stupid lazy moon lord strategy. I have the thing above my spawn so I can just cell phone right to it after killing the pillars.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Just make a teleporter to your nurse and get an instant full heal whenever you want.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Gobblecoque posted:

Just make a teleporter to your nurse and get an instant full heal whenever you want.

doesn't the moon lord teleports on top of you now if you move more than x blocks away from him

also you can bet on red disabling the Nurse during the moon lord event in an upcoming patch so git gud now while you still can

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Janice quivers in fear, unresponsive to your bleeding heart requests.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Excelzior posted:

doesn't the moon lord teleports on top of you now if you move more than x blocks away from him

also you can bet on red disabling the Nurse during the moon lord event in an upcoming patch so git gud now while you still can

He does, but it uses his spawn-in animation that takes a couple seconds. If you're quick with your mouse it's plenty of time to teleport to the nurse, click a heal, and teleport back.

You're right about the future patch though.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
You don't have to make the nurse's room on the other side of the world you know.

Also I don't care if any changes are made to make moon lord an even dumber boss fight. I already beat him once and then save edited enough stuff to make the drill mount and I couldn't even begin to care about the other useless stuff he drops.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I have now beaten moon lord twice
First time got star wrath and second time got meowmere. With stardust armor + dragon + meowmere + no potion buffs, I got three fishron kills and soloed frost moon to wave ten before dying. Not bad, but all they dropped was the drat tree hook.
Gonna put the game down for a month because I have made my goal (kill the moon lord) and at this point I'm farming instead of actively experimenting and having fun, like I cannot bring myself to perform against the moon lord in a fight where I'm actively dodging and stuff
Oh well, fun while it lasted.

Note the secret this time:
If you are fighting from a box, make the box SMALL

bigger than this and his hands will come in all the time, and the idea isn't just to block attacks but to keep all three eyes constantly within reach of a solar eruption.
I tried with a bigger box 4 times.
heart lanterns + star lanterns seem to work during the fight, so do heart statues, not sure about the honey but oh well, the spear trap goes right over his heart but probably not needed. the heart statue was a big help.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Network Pesci posted:

Absolutely. I don't know for sure about the pillars because I haven't beaten them yet, but I was searching fruitlessly for probes all through an Eclipse and less than a minute after it ended I found one.

Yep, as soon as the pillars were gone I went back and UFOs popped up almost instantly. :toot:

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Is there anyway I can stop the butthole skeleton merchant from spawning when I'm afk farming mimics?

No monsters will come near him :(

As it stands I have to drop down and drill out the floor under him and drop him in the lava, which was funny the first ten times but it's lost its sheen

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
So i've spent a week now in Hard mode and its amazing how quickly you go from being fragile to amazing in such a short time. Found a 50 dmg yoyo in hell and on the way back up found the skeleton merchant and promptly bought up the items for a Yoyo bag. That coupled with orichalcum armour is making light work of most enemies so far. That said I seem to have corruption creeping up on both sides of my base awfully quickly.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
So which slot(s) control the paintjob on the stardust guardian?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Asciana posted:

So i've spent a week now in Hard mode and its amazing how quickly you go from being fragile to amazing in such a short time. Found a 50 dmg yoyo in hell and on the way back up found the skeleton merchant and promptly bought up the items for a Yoyo bag. That coupled with orichalcum armour is making light work of most enemies so far. That said I seem to have corruption creeping up on both sides of my base awfully quickly.

Run out and dig up all the dirt and stick three blocks of something down far down the line. I've got a Hallow biome to the right of my base and I just stuck three Granite blocks down to stop it reaching the rest of my base.

I just had a thought that might make Expert Mode more appealing. You know all those nerfs they gave for the OP weapons and combos like Vampire Knives and the Spectre set? What if they removed those while you were playing Expert Mode?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Tanith posted:

So which slot(s) control the paintjob on the stardust guardian?

Just the pet slot, I think. Phase dye looks pretty cool.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

RareAcumen posted:

I just had a thought that might make Expert Mode more appealing. You know all those nerfs they gave for the OP weapons and combos like Vampire Knives and the Spectre set? What if they removed those while you were playing Expert Mode?

That doesn't sound very appealing to me.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009
So now that our multiplayer server is dying down I thought I'd upload a bunch of the highlights.

When we first got into the game we immediately started building a monstrosity near the spawn. People kept tacking towers onto it.

At some point one of our players got frustrated and buit a megabase and a massive hellavator, and we all kind of started expanding below it.
Underneath the base you can see the teleporter network - every room is themed to the area it teleports to. Also there's my ugly meteor apartment, and a giant art gallery. The fishing NPC also gets his own hut.

Two of us built a gaudy cloud mansion adjacent the base.

A UFO hidden on the edge of the map.

Mushroom biome and NPC panic room.

Hospital/spawn area

My friend built a scavenger hunt into the game using signs and other clues - one of the stopoff points was the "lifeboat"

Another was this cute little rocket

Super attractive bubblegum hallowed building.

Boss/moon arena

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Internet Kraken posted:

I actually managed to finish building something for once.

Housing hotel for all my NPCs where I gave them themed rooms as compensation for being shoved into boxes. They can freely visit every floor though since I figured out a stair layout that actually works. Of course as soon as I put in those balconies I discovered that they sometimes hurl themselves over the side for kicks but I'm too tired to fix that. This took forever to complete because I'm indecisive and slow.

I guess now I should finally get around to killing plantera.

I'm thinking of borrowing that stair design for my own base. Still trying to figure out how to get everyone to freely go up and down the stairs, though.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I'm playing with a friend of mine and I'm having terrible (what I assume are) latency issues. My game will lag out for up to and over 30 seconds and then catch up all at once. I'll break blocks but no items will drop until I "catch up" with my friend, who is hosting. Granted we're on opposite sides of the Atlantic but this is a bit beyond the pale. Is this a know issue with the game or do you think it's a problem with my connection?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I'm having a problem where my roommate can't connect to my Terraria server on his laptop, but my buddy who lives a few blocks away can connect just fine. My roommate and I are running the GOG.com version, and the other guy is running the Steam version. I don't know.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Last time I played the mechanical bosses were a large wall for me. There were not a lot of tools to manage them and it just felt unfun

now there's so much junk you just find which makes these bosses a whole lot less of a pain in the neck. Plantera, Golem, Martian Invasion all handled on the first try mostly through the power of yoyos

I'm just wondering which beetle set to make because making the turtle armor in the first place was a pain in the neck, took forever to find turtle shells

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I actually really liked the plantera throw hammer that locks onto enemies. It got me to moon Lord.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Dr Snofeld posted:

I'm playing with a friend of mine and I'm having terrible (what I assume are) latency issues. My game will lag out for up to and over 30 seconds and then catch up all at once. I'll break blocks but no items will drop until I "catch up" with my friend, who is hosting. Granted we're on opposite sides of the Atlantic but this is a bit beyond the pale. Is this a know issue with the game or do you think it's a problem with my connection?

This happens a lot with transatlantic servers if either the hosts or your own connection is bad. My advice: get a rocket launcher, load it up with 3996 Rocket IV's and embrace the lag.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Holyshoot posted:

I actually really liked the plantera throw hammer that locks onto enemies. It got me to moon Lord.

You mean the Possessed Hatchet? That drops from the Golem but yeah it's really good for when you get it

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

Network Pesci posted:

I'm having a problem where my roommate can't connect to my Terraria server on his laptop, but my buddy who lives a few blocks away can connect just fine. My roommate and I are running the GOG.com version, and the other guy is running the Steam version. I don't know.

Probably a dumb question, but your roommate is using the local IP right?

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Dr Snofeld posted:

I'm having the same problem with a friend who I normally have no difficulties with. Goons?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

IntelligibleChoir posted:

Probably a dumb question, but your roommate is using the local IP right?

Hey, maybe to you that's a dumb question, but it was the solution to my problem. Thanks! He said he was connecting to my IP, it didn't even occur to me he was looking at the external IP but that's exactly what was going on. Working fine now.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

I just made a mine track rocket-ride , farming for crimson key became too much.
Moon lord seems surprisingly easy compared to something like Duke Fishron.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I'm starting to really like expert mode. Every time I get my rear end kicked I just come back with better tactics/gear. First hardmode goblin invasion I died tens of times to the goblin summoners, winning through a battle of attrition. Second hardmode goblin invasion and I had wings. Managed to kill three summoners in a series of cool aerial duels.

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010
Normal hard mode Twins: I have full hallowed armor using a mega shark with crystal bullets. Accessories are ranger emblem, frostspark boots, wings, balloon in a bottle, and obsidian shield. Fighting in a platform arena with a few scattered campfires and using regen potion and iron skin potion. I keep getting wrecked when the fire breathing eye transforms. Is there anything else I can do to make this fight easier?

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
What I did was kept running between my base and the desert to my left. Everytime he breathed fire, I just kept far from him then ran back to base, dropping to my nurse to heal to full then repeat.

Also, my buddy and I defeated Moonlord several times yesterday, I'll post my cool platform later. I got some serious gripes about the purple pillar from the Lunar event. It's way too hard compared to the others. How do you guys deal with it?

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
The bee mount is loving rad pre wings, nice!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It's a shame the space dragon is worthless for Moon Lord since you'd have to be suicidally close for it to go after him. Beat Moon Lord a couple times in multiplayer but I think I might just have to make a vortex beater and ranged gear to be able to kill him more easily/often.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's a shame the space dragon is worthless for Moon Lord since you'd have to be suicidally close for it to go after him. Beat Moon Lord a couple times in multiplayer but I think I might just have to make a vortex beater and ranged gear to be able to kill him more easily/often.

I beg to differ :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knmyQrOpHog

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Roshambo posted:

Normal hard mode Twins: I have full hallowed armor using a mega shark with crystal bullets. Accessories are ranger emblem, frostspark boots, wings, balloon in a bottle, and obsidian shield. Fighting in a platform arena with a few scattered campfires and using regen potion and iron skin potion. I keep getting wrecked when the fire breathing eye transforms. Is there anything else I can do to make this fight easier?

Someone else suggested it and it worked pretty well for me - make a long asphalt runway, it'll let you kite the twins back and forth and easily dodge their bullshit while you fill em full of lead. Other solutions to make you move fast horizontally can work also, the asphalt runway is just dead simple to execute with (and way faster than you need tbh, at least with the lightning boots)

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

A couple heart statues and wings to fly up and down should be enough for non-expert Twins. Focus on the fire-spitting one first, flying around and away from them when it's using his flamethrower attack. Once that one's down the laser one is super easy.

I think they're even succeptible to the Ichor debuff unlike the destroyer?

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
After beating Plantera and taking some of the pressure off of crimson spread, I've spent some time revamping my fortress:

The stair design in the central shaft is based off another build I saw here, with a waterfall added to the middle for effect. I also added a bigger laboratory made out of meteorite brick(ideal for the mechanic, goblin, and cyborg), and a Flying Dutchman replica on a dock to the right(seemed like appropriate housing for the pirate and steampunker). The Truffle's house is not shown here, but it's down below in the hellevator, in the middle of a mushroom farm.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011
So I've been experimenting with an idea for a base sunk into a lake, and during the construction of said base, i have discovered the most annoying creature in all of Terraria: the duck.

I do believe that the next world i make, i'm going to create a gigantic liquid duplicator and flood the entire world with lava so as to kill all the ducks.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I actually killed the twins on normal mode in mythril gear with some hallowed-level weaponry, and what enabled it for me is there was a little tunnel I could run through and it turns out - despite going through walls - if there's a solid wall in between you and him, spazmatism won't shoot fire at you. So every time he was spraying fire I'd run in circles through that area so he'd constantly be blocked and worthless while hitting him with a yoyo.

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013

Hey, I just wanted to thank you for this (and the rest of the advice you gave in the post). I made my own, and with a teleporter to the nurse it's perfect for farming Expert Moon Lord. Especially after you get the Star Wrath!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
so whats the trick to events like halloween and frost moon other than "cheese it with vamp knives and spectre armor"

is it even feasible to do with plantera gear and an arena that lets you move around?