Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Hulk Krogan posted:

I didn't pre order or get the season pass, so I didn't play the Harley Quinn DLC. I dunno - it was fun and I really appreciated playing as a different character and the more Arkham Asylum vibe that they went for, but I finished it in like half an hour. Kind of disappointing.

That said, I would kill for some challenge maps. I've finished NG+ on hard, gotten all the riddler trophies, and 3 starred all the AR challenges but I want more mook punching and Batmobiling in my life.

I believe he means the Harley Quinn DLC from City, cause the preorder one for this game was 20 minutes of hot garbage.

If you didn't get the audiologs from the owner of the amusement park in the Batgirl DLC go back and do them. It's a neat little extra that made me feel like I actually got my money's worth on top of the story and collectibles that I knew were there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Does the difficulty in NG+ carry over to AR challenges? I'm asking because I'm about to wrap up the last of Riddler in NG and I weirdly have like a third of the challenges not even unlocked, and some of those unlocks are going to be difficult with all the "set piece" battles being over.

Also, am I the only person who just vaults over any charging people? The controls for the tackle counter seemed so finicky that I just stopped using it entirely right at the beginning of the game.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

prussian advisor posted:

Also, am I the only person who just vaults over any charging people? The controls for the tackle counter seemed so finicky that I just stopped using it entirely right at the beginning of the game.

I play with a controller, so it's a simple tap of the left trigger.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

prussian advisor posted:

Does the difficulty in NG+ carry over to AR challenges? I'm asking because I'm about to wrap up the last of Riddler in NG and I weirdly have like a third of the challenges not even unlocked, and some of those unlocks are going to be difficult with all the "set piece" battles being over.

You still get the counter indicators so I don't think so.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

prussian advisor posted:

The tackle counter is literally just 'throw batarang."

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

prussian advisor posted:

I just smack the Q button as soon as I see it flash and they fall down go boom.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
People seem to confuse enemies who tackle you and enemies who grab you from behind.

Not sure why, considering one has red counter marks and the other blue. It's actually probably better to let the blue ones grab you because that's a free like what 3 combo hits?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It took me an incredibly long time to figure out how to counter charges the right way. I wish they'd let you know about the mechanic with something other than a small message on the screen that's visible for a fraction of a second while I'm trying to look at other things.

Grabbing from behind does seem pointless. You have all the time in the world to mash punch and get out of it. Even the first time it happened and I had no idea what was going on I escaped. Come to think of it, what does happen if you somehow lose motor control in your fingers and don't escape?

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 29, 2015

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Sindai posted:

Grabbing from behind does seem pointless. You have all the time in the world to mash punch and get out of it. Even the first time it happened and I had no idea what was going on I escaped. Come to think of it, what does happen if you somehow lose motor control in your fingers and don't escape?

I think that you take damage over time, depending on how long you remain grappled.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

CuwiKhons posted:

I struggled with this until I actually got frustrated and went to inspect the window. A small physics object (looked like rubble) was caught on the ledge and nudging it with Batman made it fall off. The box had apparently been getting caught on it because once it was out of the way, it went straight out the window.

Nope, still can't do this. The glass seems completely clear.

I can't get it to move from its starting position like at all. Apparently I was meant to use it to destroy the sentries, but it wouldn't move so I ended up going around and disabling then by entering back in, thinking I'd missed being promoted to enter that way in the first place.

Might have to cross my fingers it's not hosed in NG+, which I'll play when it's patched.

I guess the ultimate Riddler challenge was just pouring a trophy in a really heavy box. Thanks for locking me out of the ending with something so dumb, Rocksteady.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

PoshAlligator posted:

I can't get it to move from its starting position like at all. Apparently I was meant to use it to destroy the sentries, but it wouldn't move so I ended up going around and disabling then by entering back in, thinking I'd missed being promoted to enter that way in the first place.

Might have to cross my fingers it's not hosed in NG+, which I'll play when it's patched.

I guess the ultimate Riddler challenge was just pouring a trophy in a really heavy box. Thanks for locking me out of the ending with something so dumb, Rocksteady.
To be clear, you're talking about the last one in this video, at 20:00 in?
https://youtu.be/sgKeO0iORaw

You've definitely opened the grate-door in front of it?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

redbackground posted:

To be clear, you're talking about the last one in this video, at 20:00 in?
https://youtu.be/sgKeO0iORaw

You've definitely opened the grate-door in front of it?

Yep. Won't budge from that room at all. Maybe it didn't register the door opening properly.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

PoshAlligator posted:

Yep. Won't budge from that room at all. Maybe it didn't register the door opening properly.

Can you re-close and open it again?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ugh, I just noticed Pyg's minions are all "Terrified" when looked at with Detective Vision. They're fully aware of what's going on around them. :smith:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno what Rocksteady spent all that delay time working on, but it sure as hell wasn't polish. Had a realization about a mechanic that might make things easier, but I doubt it.

It doesn't matter where you're looking when you grapple, because Batman grapples to the nearest/lowest object.

I finally got the Rescue the Fire Chief predator mission. There's a spot in the back of the area you can grapple up to, it's around where you can enter a vent and slide to under the floor. They can't climb up there or shoot you, so I was just cheesing it. But I kept getting shot. Why? Because Batman wouldn't grapple to that spot. I would aim the camera at it and hit RB and Batman would grapple to a girder that was both off-screen and directly behind him. If I wiggled the camera around, it would eventually realize I was, in fact, looking at a viable grapple point and then it would let me go there. I needed to make quick escapes and it wanted me to sit and stare awhile. That's real dumb!

Speaking of dumb firefighter-related things, how about that wall you have to winch down to reach that one on Founders (I think it was there, anyway). I had to look that up because my first thought when I ask 'how do I get to this group of enemies that are below me?' is not 'turn into a tank and aim at a nondescript chunk of wall.'

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

PoshAlligator posted:

Apparently the key to getting that one to work is to mash the screenshot key while you have the airship tilted. Seriously. I had to.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I'm running around beating the snot out of Riddler informants, and all of a sudden one of the goons in the gang turns into Joker. I totally missed that the first time around. These loving games...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Hexenritter posted:

Apparently the key to getting that one to work is to mash the screenshot key while you have the airship tilted. Seriously. I had to.

This makes it sound like the problem is something in the refresh rate or other rendering process interacting with how the physics engine handles the box(I've seen this thing happen occasionally in other games, though usually related to things like awareness meters in stealth).

Adjusting your graphics settings might actually fix it.

poptart_fairy posted:

Ugh, I just noticed Pyg's minions are all "Terrified" when looked at with Detective Vision. They're fully aware of what's going on around them. :smith:

Rocksteady is really good at these small touches- it's one reason why I like them so much.

edit: have folks tried checking the game code to see if there are more date-related easter eggs?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 30, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hexenritter posted:

I just saw another person rec'ing this on some other forum to someone else for a totally different puzzle problem they were having because that was the only way they could get it working correctly. I had no idea this was a thing.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So the hot new rumor now is that the motherfucking Predator will be a DLC mission down the line.

I'm 90% sure is utter bullshit but how cool would be to reenact the Batman VS Predator comicbook? :allears:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So the hot new rumor now is that the motherfucking Predator will be a DLC mission down the line.

I'm 90% sure is utter bullshit but how cool would be to reenact the Batman VS Predator comicbook? :allears:

It's going to be incredible, I'm really hype- they're saying it's at least 3 separate fights between the Batcar and the PredaTank.

...Predmobile? Predarangs?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Where'd you hear this? All I could find was a GameFAQs thread of "wouldn't it be cool if."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Why even have Black Mask as DLC? How can they humiliate him any further?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Oh boy there's nothing I love more than hamfistedly shoving characters together for no reason

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It would suck since we can't have unmasked Batman hunt down a wounded predator with a goddamned baseball bat. :(

theflyingorc posted:

Oh boy there's nothing I love more than hamfistedly shoving characters together for no reason

Batman vs. Predator (the first one) is actually kind of an exception to that, but only because it's literally Predator 2 with Batman instead of Danny Glover. Its loving sweet.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

PoshAlligator posted:

You can cheese it by restarting before you die if things go badly. With that said I got an end of game bug and had to start again anyway, but I think they fixed it.

It's a nice excuse to play the game again I suppose.

The worst part for me was the Firefly fight, because I couldn't get the timing on the counters right without the indicators, and it was usually instant death if you missed one. I probably slammed the power button half a dozen times on that fight.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Pirate Jet posted:

Where'd you hear this? All I could find was a GameFAQs thread of "wouldn't it be cool if."

Supposed WB insider on 4chan

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Discendo Vox posted:

This makes it sound like the problem is something in the refresh rate or other rendering process interacting with how the physics engine handles the box(I've seen this thing happen occasionally in other games, though usually related to things like awareness meters in stealth).

Adjusting your graphics settings might actually fix it.

Yeah, the brief slowdown when you take the screenshot causes the physics engine to hiccup and dislodges the box. Interesting suggestion about changing the settings. If I run into it again I'll try setting everything to low.

redbackground posted:

I just saw another person rec'ing this on some other forum to someone else for a totally different puzzle problem they were having because that was the only way they could get it working correctly. I had no idea this was a thing.

The fact that it is a thing at all makes me :psyduck:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

theflyingorc posted:

Reasons for believing this:

I have met human beings outside of internet forums

You are just the worst.

Mogomra posted:

I'm running around beating the snot out of Riddler informants, and all of a sudden one of the goons in the gang turns into Joker. I totally missed that the first time around. These loving games...

The amount of "Was that Joker?" in this game starts off as kinda neat, but it starts to really ramp into cool as poo poo the further you get.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

SonicRulez posted:

You are just the worst.
What about challenge rooms do you think appeals to the average player? They're arcade-scored single-mistake-ruins-your-run modes completely separate from the main game, selected from the main menu rather than in-world.

It's a niche mode in a mass market game, outside of the hardcore completionists in places like this thread it's really obviously not going to be a critical feature for most players.

Edit: and I'm not denigrating them as a feature, I personally like them

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
"niche mode in a mass market game" sounds a lot more like Call of Duty Zombies. "arcade-scored single-mistake-ruins-your-run" also sounds a lot more like how the challenge maps are currently set up. The wave-by-wave approach gave you the leniency to make a mistake here and there. poo poo, maybe Batmobile challenges would even be more palatable if they did a wave-by-wave approach. Or if they did a real survival mode instead of making every one "one hit and you're gone lol"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

What about challenge rooms do you think appeals to the average player?

... You do know that in the wake of mobile games arcade-style score-attacks haven proven to be incredibly popular as timewasters, right? Like I've straight-up talked to developers who say that 'challenge room' style things (be they horde modes, bonus modes like Resident Evil Mercenaries or whatever) are high up on their list of requested features.

I mean a huge chunk of the best-selling games of all time are score attack or designed to be replayed repeatedly. There is a reason Tetris is still one of the best-selling games of all time.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 30, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

theflyingorc posted:

What about challenge rooms do you think appeals to the average player?
They're a good quickplay mode. If I want to press buttons to be Batman, it's quicker doing it there than in the story.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

ImpAtom posted:

... You do know that in the wake of mobile games arcade-style score-attacks haven proven to be incredibly popular as timewasters, right? Like I've straight-up talked to developers who say that 'challenge room' style things (be they horde modes, bonus modes like Resident Evil Mercenaries or whatever) are high up on their list of requested features.

I mean a huge chunk of the best-selling games of all time are score attack or designed to be replayed repeatedly. There is a reason Tetris is still one of the best-selling games of all time.

That makes sense, especially for a game like Batman where a huge chunk of the appeal is how good the combat is. Why wouldn't you want to be able to just drop into a room and beat the poo poo out of waves of enemies without having to fly around the city looking for people to beat up?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

SonicRulez posted:

You are just the worst.

Now now, Chibisoma has already posted on this page.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

CuwiKhons posted:

That makes sense, especially for a game like Batman where a huge chunk of the appeal is how good the combat is. Why wouldn't you want to be able to just drop into a room and beat the poo poo out of waves of enemies without having to fly around the city looking for people to beat up?

Even better, I can beat people up and then have arbitrary numbers attached to judge and validate me.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
In what world are the challenge maps niche? They're just the same things you do in the regular game with a scoring incentive.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

challenge maps were a huge part of replay value in AC, especially because of the 3 additional characters. saying they're worthless and "no one wants them" is stupid as poo poo, lots of people have said they want them back in. it's a tremendous waste to have so much improvement in combat/predator departments and then only able to use it through another playthrough. it's just one more thing that was torn out so they could sell you a lovely half-assed version of for DLC.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

SonicRulez posted:

The amount of "Was that Joker?" in this game starts off as kinda neat, but it starts to really ramp into cool as poo poo the further you get.
That loving one where he mimics the Man-bat jumpscare when you grapple onto a roof made me hate him more than anything else in any of the games.

Also the first time I noticed someone just chilling on a tower in the distance and flew over to find it was him was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

OK, gently caress. How the hell do I take down the Brute with electric fists (in the blimp after City of Fear?)

• Locked thread