Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

I had to check, but you're correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Kurtofan posted:

it's a joke.

I thought jokes were supposed to be funny.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Sappo569 posted:

Again it's pretty morbid to think of, but as the above poster said, do these serial killers ever run into each other?

My psych 101 prof at university was a total dork, his specialty was dark personalities or some poo poo. His intro course to psychology was 50% obscure serial killer trivia probably more appropriate for an advanced class because he was the kind of professor who can't think about anything outside his field.

Anyway there was a particular crime that contained the fingerprints of two quasi-notorious serial killers. It was briefly assumed the two were actually partners though no other evidence from any of the other crime scenes supported this theory. When the first killer was caught he claimed he did the act alone - this revelation stymied investigators until the second killer was caught at a later time and he got to tell his side of the story.

What actually happened was that two killers were indepedently stalking the same person at the same time. One swoops in for the kill mere hours before the other planned to. The first leaves the scene. The 2nd shows up late, finds an already killed body (take this opportunity to imagine him yelling gently caress at the misfortune) and so all he can do is poke around a bit before leaving. For years he didn't know what the hell happened there, whether he repressed the memory of the kill or if he dreamed up the whole thing.

I'd give you names of the parties involved but the names I did recall produced no hits for a story like this.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Well then why haven't you already seen it?

Sorry though about the tags. I wouldn't recommend watching it. Probably one of the most disturbing movies I have ever seen.

It has been sitting on my desk for months and I'm waiting for a suitable night to watch it, after my fiance has gone to sleep.

Also, this thread is dedicated to the disturbing. Sounds like it should be mandatory viewing.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

hard counter posted:

My psych 101 prof at university was a total dork, his specialty was dark personalities or some poo poo. His intro course to psychology was 50% obscure serial killer trivia probably more appropriate for an advanced class because he was the kind of professor who can't think about anything outside his field.

Anyway there was a particular crime that contained the fingerprints of two quasi-notorious serial killers. It was briefly assumed the two were actually partners though no other evidence from any of the other crime scenes supported this theory. When the first killer was caught he claimed he did the act alone - this revelation stymied investigators until the second killer was caught at a later time and he got to tell his side of the story.

What actually happened was that two killers were indepedently stalking the same person at the same time. One swoops in for the kill mere hours before the other planned to. The first leaves the scene. The 2nd shows up late, finds an already killed body (take this opportunity to imagine him yelling gently caress at the misfortune) and so all he can do is poke around a bit before leaving. For years he didn't know what the hell happened there, whether he repressed the memory of the kill or if he dreamed up the whole thing.

I'd give you names of the parties involved but the names I did recall produced no hits for a story like this.

It sounds like one of the late season episodes of Dexter, when they were REALLY reaching for a story line

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Sappo569 posted:

It sounds like one of the late season episodes of Dexter, when they were REALLY reaching for a story line

I think there's an alternate phrase for situations like these.

Fact is sometimes much, much lamer than fiction.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

RNG posted:

Stolen from the China.jpg thread, a history of the Milwaukee protocol, the only post-exposure, non-vaccine treatment for rabies, which involves a medically induced coma until your brain stops trying to kill you: http://www.wired.com/2012/07/ff_rabies/

But what makes it unnerving (again) is that it might not work at all, and you're still more or less hosed if you're bit by a rabid animal.

Pretty sure if you're bitten by a rabid animal, you're pretty much fine. You get some vaccines after the fact and it is killed off.

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/exposure/

The scary and untreatable part sets in when you first start noticing symptoms. Then you're hooped.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Chichevache posted:

Define "most vicious"

Raping, torturing, and strangling literally hundreds of young children.

Here in the US most famous serial killers targeted adults or teens. There are exceptions (Albert Fish), but they're in the minority. Also, few killers in any country managed to match Colombia's huge body count.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

FourLeaf posted:

Here in the US most famous serial killers targeted adults or teens. There are exceptions (Albert Fish), but they're in the minority. Also, few killers in any country managed to match Colombia's huge body count.

Because it is children they're more vicious? Children aren't even people yet.:geno:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Vic Boss posted:

Pretty sure if you're bitten by a rabid animal, you're pretty much fine. You get some vaccines after the fact and it is killed off.

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/exposure/

The scary and untreatable part sets in when you first start noticing symptoms. Then you're hooped.

Rabies really fucks you up because it attacks using your nerves as a freeway to your brain. Since it can bypass the blood-brain barrier effortlessly, once it reaches the brain your immune cells have no method of entry and can't attack the virus, leaving you essentially guaranteed to die. That's why it's so important to get the vaccine immediately after a bite, because once neurological symptoms show up, that means it's in your brain and you can't do poo poo about it.

Incidentally that's why the Milwaukee Protocol was developed; it was hoped that artificially inducing a coma would shut neurological activity down in a (semi) controlled manner, allowing the virus to run its course without the usual brain dysfunction leading to death. Another theory is that terminal rabies might be successfully treated by artificially opening the blood-brain barrier to allow for the permeability of immune cells into the brain, but as far as I know, nothing has been tested on that front.

3 has a new favorite as of 01:33 on Jul 29, 2015

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

FourLeaf posted:

Yeah I forget if it was Colombia or Ecuador but this one guy raped and murdered literally 300+ little girls----showed police a giant pit full of bodies in the jungle. Scary part is, I forget if it was via corrupt officials or he just escaped, but he never saw the inside of a jail cell. Guy's still out there somewhere.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Astrofig posted:

Yeah I forget if it was Colombia or Ecuador but this one guy raped and murdered literally 300+ little girls----showed police a giant pit full of bodies in the jungle. Scary part is, I forget if it was via corrupt officials or he just escaped, but he never saw the inside of a jail cell. Guy's still out there somewhere.

He was a Colombian who operated across multiple countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_L%C3%B3pez_%28serial_killer%29

Just because he confessed to hundreds doesn't mean he actually did them, btw. Lots of killers claim to have high body counts after they're caught.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Astrofig posted:

That guy (Pedro Lopez) was born in Colombia and killed there but also murdered in Ecuador and Peru. He did spend time in prison and later a mental asylum but was released around 1998 and has been free ever since.

There's another Colombian killer who likely murdered even more children but I think he's still in prison to this day.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Quite a few pages back there was talk about the men in black installing one-off arcade machines in the Portand, Oregon area in the 80's that were then taken down almost immediately and never heard from again.

Ernest Cline just published another novel (Armada) that deals with exactly this. Except it's rather dumb.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TotalLossBrain posted:

It's a horrible, 23-year old French independent movie. Sorry

It was cool and good, sorry.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

That drat Satyr posted:

I can't post a link right yet because I'm on my phone, but does anyone remember all those bodies they found a while back in the sand dunes / on the beach up around Long Island? I remember at the time they released very little details except that the bodies were all in various states of decomp, and they implied it could be the long-time dumping spot of possibly more than one serial killer.

Has there been anything else about that? Anyone know?

http://nypost.com/2015/01/03/4-years-17-victims-later-police-cant-catch-the-gilgo-beach-killer/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Island_serial_killer

This one took place about 5 minutes from my house:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/nyregion/more-human-remains-are-found-on-long-island.html?_r=0

RCarr has a new favorite as of 03:54 on Jul 29, 2015

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
17 in 4 years sounds like a ton.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

Ernest Cline just published another novel (Armada) that deals with exactly this. Except it's rather dumb.

Agreed. Ernest Cline is to books what 'The Big Bang Theory' is to televison.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Frostwerks posted:

17 in 4 years sounds like a ton.

Just over one, if you estimate an average weight of 135 per.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

That drat Satyr posted:

I can't post a link right yet because I'm on my phone, but does anyone remember all those bodies they found a while back in the sand dunes / on the beach up around Long Island? I remember at the time they released very little details except that the bobdies were all in various states of decomp, and they implied it could be the long-time dumping spot of possibly more than one serial killer.

Has there been anything else about that? Anyone know?

The initial find was at Gilgo Beach and subsequent finds were along the same road. Newsday decided to call him the Long Island Serial Killer but I find more people will know what you're talking about if you say the Gilgo Beach Killer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Island_serial_killer

The area off Ocean Parkway the bodies were eventually discovered on is largely dense thorn bushes, which is why nobody noticed dumped bodies for so long. If it was saw grass or reeds or phragmites a real neatnik might try to pick up the trash (garbage bag, burlap) but no one wants to get all torn up for that. The search dogs HATED it and had to be bribed to keep working.

Trash like that is also relatively common to see, burlap is used in landscaping and sometimes sand bags and people "lose" trash bags to wind or laziness all the time. I try to take a shopping bag with me if I go walking on the shore to pick up some of the stray trash.

Unfortunately the case is pretty stagnant. There are tentative links to remains found elsewhere including a dismembered woman found in Manorville and some legs that washed up on Fire Island in 1996, but no real breaks and if there was anything left to find along Ocean Parkway it was almost certainly washed away in Hurricane Sandy.

If you followed it at the time you probably remember the name Shannan Gilbert. She was a sex worker who disappeared under mysterious circumstances in Oak Beach, she had seen a client there but around 5 AM she called 911 terrified for her life saying someone was after her. She banged on someone's door asking for help but continued running, that was the last time she was seen alive. Her remains were finally found in a marsh near Oak Beach, police are saying her death is unconnected to the other murders but it seems pretty up in the air.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/09/18/noted-coroner-michael-baden-to-request-independent-autopsy-on-remains-shannan/

I feel bad for her family, but also I'm glad they were so persistent about finding her. It also gave closure to the families of some of the other victims who had been missing for so long.

I'm minutes from Manorville and go there just about every day. :v: This fucker's still out there somewhere.

last edit: I honestly don't expect this to be solved, at least not by Suffolk County PD. They're pretty goddamn incompetent and I can easily see them writing this off because most of the victims were sex workers and/or non-white.

pienipple has a new favorite as of 06:43 on Jul 29, 2015

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Crow Jane posted:

A serial killer convention, cleverly renamed to "Cereal Convention", is a plot point in Sandman. As much as I liked the series, that was pretty groan-worthy.

I always liked the way Sandman dealt with the killers at that convention.

Spoilers for an awesome comic everyone should read.

He basically relieved all the killers of their illusions that they were masters of their own destiny/ubermench who were better than everyone else, and made them see themselves for the pathetic losers that they really are.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

The Grim Sleeper https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grim_Sleeper got away with killing prostitutes for like 20 years. He was only caught because of a combination of DNA techniques improving and having a petty criminal son(Lonnie Franklin himself was not in the database).

He got his nickname because people thought he had stopped killing for a period of about 14 years, but really most experts think he was just using his job as a garbage truck driver to dump the bodies in the landfill. So there's an indeterminate number of women who were wiped from existence(quite literally, its like they never existed) because nobody gave a poo poo to look for them or even know they were missing.

Speaking of the Grim Sleeper, they found 110 photos of women in his house. Some are confirmed victims, some are people he just had sex with, and 42 can't be identified. Some appear to be unconscious inside his car. Or already dead. The photos span 40 years. They're very unsettling:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/19/grim-sleeper-lapd-facebook-photos_n_1987864.html

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Quite a few pages back there was talk about the men in black installing one-off arcade machines in the Portand, Oregon area in the 80's that were then taken down almost immediately and never heard from again.

Polybius

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I was recently reminded of the Georgetown Cuddler, a Hispanic man who would just walk into unlocked dorms and lie next to (or, if the girl was sleeping on a couch or other narrow space, on top of) students. The nickname got a lot of flack because it kinda downplayed the seriousness of the whole thing, but nothing else ever caught on. They never caught the guy either. Another interesting thing is that he always (as far as I know) left as soon as he was asked to.

I will admit that they have a point about the nickname, because when I first heard it years ago I definitely laughed.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Everyone watch "Tales of the Grim Sleeper", Nick Broomfield's most recent documentary - it's fantastic

I knew nothing of the case before I saw it, so I was kind of expecting something different. If you can go into it with no knowledge of the case - do it!

fistful of hammers
Nov 11, 2011
I just learned about this November, 2000 murder in quaint Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio.

quote:

A man who confessed to shooting and scalping his wife's lover was convicted Thursday of aggravated murder and sentenced to life in prison. Testimony in the trial of Fredrick Nelson revealed that he took the scalp of Mark “Marko” Burton as a trophy after shooting him repeatedly.

Mr. Nelson had told police he was getting revenge for the end of his marriage when he shot Mr. Burton on Aug. 5 at Crocker's Restaurant & Bar, where Mr. Burton was chef. “This is not something I wanted to do. I had to do it, and it was great,” Mr. Nelson told Cuyahoga Falls police Detective David Cooper in a tape played Wednesday for jurors. Mr. Nelson said he shot Mr. Burton several times but avoided his face.

“I wanted him to see me scalp him. I wanted him to see my eyes, so he knew,” he said. Mr. Nelson, 42, and the father of three, will not be eligible for parole for at least 20 years. According to trial testimony, Mr. Burton and Christine Nelson had been involved for more than eight months. On the day Mr. Burton was killed, Mrs. Nelson told her husband their marriage was over.

After smoking marijuana and drinking vodka and orange juice on top of taking prescribed antidepressants, Mr. Nelson bought a shotgun, a box of shells and a hunting knife, he told police. Police said Mr. Nelson attacked Mr. Burton, 42, behind the restaurant's bar, shooting him in the chest, groin and penis before using the knife to scalp him.

Mr. Nelson said the first shot knocked Mr. Burton to the floor. After firing again, Mr. Nelson said, he laughed as Mr. Burton begged for his life. “I grabbed him by the hair, pulled his hair up with the other hand, swish, and I took his scalp,” he said on the tape.

Source

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The spirit of john joel glanton is the spirit of america.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Amphigory posted:

Everyone watch "Tales of the Grim Sleeper", Nick Broomfield's most recent documentary - it's fantastic

I knew nothing of the case before I saw it, so I was kind of expecting something different. If you can go into it with no knowledge of the case - do it!
Just watched this, was pretty good although it lacked catharsis and didn't really have much of a buildup as such. Maybe they could've waited a bit longer for the court case to proceed to a verdict before making the documentary about the Grim Sleeper. But having said that - I found it way more compelling as a documentary about the people who've fallen between the cracks of society in South LA and I'd say it's worth watching for that alone.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Whoever mentioned the Jeffrey Lash case (guy w/ 1200 guns and tons of cash), thank you. I've been reading the websluths thread and that story just gets wierder and wierder.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Dr. Benway posted:

Whoever mentioned the Jeffrey Lash case (guy w/ 1200 guns and tons of cash), thank you. I've been reading the websluths thread and that story just gets wierder and wierder.

So... could you actually post what gets even more weird?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Guys, forget the serial killers, the most horrific criminal ever has been found.

quote:

Of all the things that thieves could have taken from inside the home of former President Warren G. Harding yesterday morning, they picked the one that hurt the most.

No one could put a dollar value on the leather and gold dog collar — the only item stolen in an overnight break-in — that once belonged to Harding’s beloved Airedale terrier, Laddie Boy.

But Sherry Hall, site manager of the historic Harding Home and Museum in Marion, called it priceless, though she wasn’t talking about monetary wealth.

“I don’t think there is a single item in this collection that matters more or is more important or special to the thousands of schoolchildren who pass through this home each year,” said Hall, who has overseen the Ohio Historical Site for going on 13 years. “It’s a real connection to history for them: They see that collar and learn about Laddie Boy and say, ‘Look. I have a dog, too. I’m just like the president.’  ”

Just before 8 a.m. yesterday, the groundskeeper arrived at the Harding Home, 380 Mount Vernon Ave., to find a ladder propped up to the second story, a window ajar and a pry bar close by.

When Hall arrived, she found a jewelry box belonging to Harding’s wife, Florence Kling Harding, broken and lying near the front door. Then she found one of the rooms in disarray. The collar, which had been sitting on a chest behind the ropes that keep guided visitors at bay, was missing.

Police quickly distributed photos of the heirloom, hoping that if a thief tried to pawn it or sell it, it would be quickly reported.

By last night, nothing had surfaced, and there had been no arrests.

Marion Police Lt. Mark Beaschler said the thief likely knew what he wanted.

“I would say whoever stole it had been in there before, knew what it was and where it was and went in to get that and only that,” Beaschler said.

The dog collar, made from Alaskan gold nuggets, was fashioned especially for Laddie Boy. The dog’s name is written in raised letters on the center, and a heart on the side bears the words From Alaska’s golden heart . Another heart reads, Fairbanks July 16 1923 .

Harding was the country’s 29th president, and Laddie Boy was something of a celebrity himself. He even had his own chair at the White House for cabinet meetings.

Anyone with information on the break-in is asked to call 740-387-2525 or the TIPS line at 740-375-TIPS (8477).

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/06/13/thief-takes-harding-keepsake.html

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Dr. Benway posted:

Link?

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Apologies. I have been and will be away from my computer until Mon. Here's the websluths thread :

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?285967-CA-Jeffrey-Alan-Lash-Police-Discover-1200-Guns-in-Dead-Man-s-Home-July-2015

I'll try to do a quick write up if people can't catch up on Mon.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Nckdictator posted:

Guys, forget the serial killers, the most horrific criminal ever has been found.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/06/13/thief-takes-harding-keepsake.html

They can have it back when we get to rename Denali. :colbert:

Arclyte
Apr 21, 2002

Dr. Benway posted:

Apologies. I have been and will be away from my computer until Mon. Here's the websluths thread :

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?285967-CA-Jeffrey-Alan-Lash-Police-Discover-1200-Guns-in-Dead-Man-s-Home-July-2015

I made it through three pages, what a terrible forum that is. There are a handful of posts that are reporting news articles about the case, ok good. But the other 80% are people jumping to wild conclusions and one user in particular might be a legit paranoid schizophrenic.

What is that giant box under every single post listing people who thanked the user for the post? What a godawful design :psypop:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dr. Benway posted:

Hahahahaha. This site is gold.

quote:

Did you read my original post? I lay out all the facts, with links to back it up. After I sum it all up I include my own theory on what it means. You may has surmised from my nickname that I'm a ufologist (I'm sure you got that, since you're on a web sleuth site). My theory involves the alien hybrid angle and the connection being Dr. Belt's expertise on Di Vinci. Read my original post for details.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

That ufology person threw the thread sideways for a page or two.

I'm very much in the camp of eccentric, rich, paranoid coupled w/ poor phrasing by initial police and media reports, but there are still some questions to be answered.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
It's been a while since we talked about aviation accidents, hasn't it? And also, since a few pages ago we were talking about conspiracy theories, why not have something related to both.

I present to you... The tale of I-TIGI.

The facts

I-TIGI was an airplane, a Douglas DC-9 to be exact, which was involved in... something, more than thirty years ago. What that "something" is, precisely, isn't clear to this day, but the clues are pointing towards a specific answer. For now, let's see what happened.

It was just past eight PM on June 27th, 1980, when I-TIGI took off from Bologna, bound for Palermo on flight IH870. Departure was almost two hours behind schedule, because I-TIGI was late arriving in Bologna from its previous flight; despite that, the trip was expected to be uneventful, with landing in Palermo Punta Raisi airport at about a quarter past nine PM.

The plane's course took her almost due south, passing over Rome before flying over the Thyrrenian Sea, near the islands of Ponza and Ustica, before reaching Palermo.

There wasn't a lot of activity in the area that night; officially no other aircraft was near I-TIGI during her approach into Palermo. Unofficially... Well, we'll see next time.

A little before 9 PM the flight crew called Roma Ciampino, who were responsible for ATC in the area at the time, to define the final details for arrival into Palermo. (I've explained some terminology in square brackets in the following.)

quote:

IH870: "Rome, good evening. This is IH870."
Rome: "Good evening IH870, go ahead."
IH870: "We're 115 miles to Papa-Alpha... Papa-Romeo-Sierra [waypoint], sorry. Mantaining 250 [25000 feet flight level]."
Rome: "Roger, IH870. Can you give an estimate [time of arrival] to Raisi?"
IH870: "Yes, we estimate Raisi for one-three [thirteen minutes past the hour, i.e. 9.13 PM]."
Roma: "870 roger. Authorized to Raisi VOR. No delay expected, call back for descent."
IH870: "No delay expected to Raisi, will call back for descent, 870."
Roma: "Correct."

This was the last voice communication received from I-TIGI. Fifteen seconds before 9 PM, the plane's transponder signal disappeared off radar screens, though this went unnoticed. Then, at 9.04 PM, Rome called the flight crew again to authorize them to begin their descent into Palermo, but received no answer. After trying several times to contact flight IH870, Rome asked two nearby Air Malta aircraft to also try and contact I-TIGI, but they too received no answer.

The expected landing time came and went, with no plane in sight.

It was as if I-TIGI had suddenly vanished into thin air.

At 9.55 PM the plane is officially declared missing, and a search and rescue operation gets underway. Early the next morning, debris and (sadly) dead bodies are spotted floating in the sea: I-TIGI, with 77 passengers and 4 crew members aboard, had crashed.

At first it seemed like an ordinary, though tragic, aviation accident. But then things started to get weird.

Next time: things start to get weird.

Mikl has a new favorite as of 21:07 on Aug 1, 2015

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Yesssssss, mysterious plane crashes are back. My favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

pookel posted:

Yesssssss, mysterious plane crashes are back. My favorite.

:agreed: these posts are fantastic looks at something creepy we don't usually follow.