Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Allyn posted:

You could probably just take enough Sunni provinces that when they rise up and occupy one province, accepting their demands is available, and will convert you. You start with, what, 9? Taking 10 shouldn't be impossible. (Hopefully it's not based on development -- I'm actually not sure...)

I believe it actually is based on development, though I'm not 100% sure. I think that's what DDRJake said during his Jewish Ethiopia run, so I'll just blame him if I completely misremembered and this is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They just need to occupy more than half your provinces. Even if they're not sunni as long as they're adjacent to the ones that are you dont have to worry about praying for them to move overseas.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

That could be easy to pull off with the new fort mechanics - make sure there are no forts in your Sunni provinces.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
So I've got the basics of trade down thanks to the excellent responses I got here. However, I now have a new problem.

I'm making buttloads of money. I have colonized most of the Caribbean and formed Portuguese Carabais, Portuguese Brazil, and New Portugal (Florida + the Gulf Coast). I have 28 light ships, mostly protecting my Caribbean trade route.

I'm deeply in debt because my Carabais colony is being an rear end in a top hat and is now disloyal. I beefed up my army to bring down their disloyalty, but it's sitting at 56% and they aren't giving me colonial cash and I'm bankrupting myself to intimidate them into loyalty. What do I do now? I don't have a big enough transport fleet to get troops onto the large amount of tiny islands that make up the nation. Should I decrease their tariffs? Something else?

Edit: How many light ships should I have protecting trade? I don't want too many or not enough.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

You can get bigger, or just let them revolt and kick their rear end when it happens. There are also options like trading prestige for -10 liberty desire on the vassal page. Have you had your diplomat improve relations?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HonorableTB posted:

So I've got the basics of trade down thanks to the excellent responses I got here. However, I now have a new problem.

I'm making buttloads of money. I have colonized most of the Caribbean and formed Portuguese Carabais, Portuguese Brazil, and New Portugal (Florida + the Gulf Coast). I have 28 light ships, mostly protecting my Caribbean trade route.

I'm deeply in debt because my Carabais colony is being an rear end in a top hat and is now disloyal. I beefed up my army to bring down their disloyalty, but it's sitting at 56% and they aren't giving me colonial cash and I'm bankrupting myself to intimidate them into loyalty. What do I do now? I don't have a big enough transport fleet to get troops onto the large amount of tiny islands that make up the nation. Should I decrease their tariffs? Something else?

Edit: How many light ships should I have protecting trade? I don't want too many or not enough.

What is their tariff rate at? Really there's very little reason to set it above zero, because the amount of money they give you is pretty inconsequential. All of the actual gain comes from the trade value and power they generate for you.

It's not a question of how many light ships you should have, it's about how much trade power you need in the nodes you compete in. Light ships are so cheap that until you're talking about hundreds of them, you might as well just build more.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

Why do you care if they're disloyal? You lose a tiny bit of income from them and they won't help in wars, but it's not like the Carabais AI was ever going to be super effective helping you out with wars anywhere not on their doorstep. Like yeah, it'd be nice if they were loyal, but it doesn't seem like a big deal. The only real downside is that the enemy AI won't calculate their forces when deciding to attack you or not.

Make sure you improve relations, send them a gift, etc: relations have a direct impact on vassal loyalty. But don't go bankrupting yourself to appease Carabais with their couple ducats/month tariffs and their 10 force limit - it's just not worth it.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Larry Parrish posted:

I've never seen AI Knights do so good, let alone that Theodoro or Hungary.

When you turn off lucky nations, this is what happens.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Jackson Taus posted:

Why do you care if they're disloyal? You lose a tiny bit of income from them and they won't help in wars, but it's not like the Carabais AI was ever going to be super effective helping you out with wars anywhere not on their doorstep. Like yeah, it'd be nice if they were loyal, but it doesn't seem like a big deal. The only real downside is that the enemy AI won't calculate their forces when deciding to attack you or not.

Make sure you improve relations, send them a gift, etc: relations have a direct impact on vassal loyalty. But don't go bankrupting yourself to appease Carabais with their couple ducats/month tariffs and their 10 force limit - it's just not worth it.

A 10 force limit is something I wish they had. They have an 18 stack army right now :v:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I sort of think tariff income should be increased or be tied to the trade power you get to make it more of an interesting choice. I never increase tariffs. Why bother with the annoyance when the income gained is so small?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

A 10 force limit is something I wish they had. They have an 18 stack army right now :v:

Yeah but still they probably can't move more than a fraction of that around.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

PittTheElder posted:

It's not a question of how many light ships you should have, it's about how much trade power you need in the nodes you compete in. Light ships are so cheap that until you're talking about hundreds of them, you might as well just build more.

Yeah, as a colonial power especially you'll just get tons of them. I build them in blocks of 20 and send them to any node that looks vaguely threatened. In contested end nodes and so on usually you'll just want to conquer the place instead, but for the most part trade ships pay for themselves.

you can be more precise by going to the trade node view though:

fifth column shows the trade power from ships. that + provinces x modifier = trade power, which is shown relative to the other people in the node at the pie chart at the top. Sometimes a handful of trade ships can dramatically increase your trade power somewhere (as a European in Asia especially you can often completely drown out the nodes), or sometimes they'll do hardly anything. It depends on how developed the node is and how many people are vying for it.

The trade system in this game is actually really well explained, just take a bit of time to go over all the buttons in the trade mapmode and trade screen and stuff.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ZombieLenin posted:

It's in Ironman

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Larry Parrish posted:

It's in Ironman
Hail Satan, then.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Larry Parrish posted:

It's in Ironman

You can run iron man with lucky nations off. You won't get chievos though.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Sorry to continue with the stream of annoying small questions but sometimes google doesn't really enlighten much.

So I am doing ok I think having gotten used to the interface and have a burgeoning colonial nation in the Americas and Caribbean. Should I be using light ships to patrol their areas at all to increase trade? Or should I be "selling" them light ships? Does it matter much. I kind of get that I get x% of colonial nations' income via tariffs, just wondering if there is a way to maximize my return with some aging Barques.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

MikeC posted:

Sorry to continue with the stream of annoying small questions but sometimes google doesn't really enlighten much.

So I am doing ok I think having gotten used to the interface and have a burgeoning colonial nation in the Americas and Caribbean. Should I be using light ships to patrol their areas at all to increase trade? Or should I be "selling" them light ships? Does it matter much. I kind of get that I get x% of colonial nations' income via tariffs, just wondering if there is a way to maximize my return with some aging Barques.

You can sell ships????

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Baronjutter posted:

You can sell ships????

Its one of the diplomacy options

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

MikeC posted:

Colonial nations give you half their trade power. This is where most of your colonial income will come from, since colonies are usually low-ish basetax and your tariff rate isn't high anyhow. The general idea is that you want to steer the trade back towards your home node. If you're Spain/Portugal, you can steer from Caribbean/Mexico/Brazil to Sevilla, but not from Chesapeake Bay or whatever the northern-most North American trade node is.

So use the Barques to protect trade on your behalf, and you'll bring in even more trade from the colonies.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MikeC posted:

Dont apologize for asking small questions - the game's tutorials are not the greatest and it can be a steep climb at times, especially w/r/t trade.

Patrolling a trade node with light ships will not "increase trade" in a direct sense. Patrolling a node increases your personal (not your vassals or anyone elses) power in that node; if you are patrolling in, say, the Caribbean but do not have a merchant there tasked with "transferring trade power" (or whatever it is that is NOT collecting, because 98% of the time you only want to collect in your home node) you will have more trade power there but you will not be doing anything with it. If multiple people are drawing (transferring) from the Caribbean and you are therefore competing to forward more value to your home node in Seville, having Light Ships there will increase your power which increases the amount of money in your home node, which increases how much $$$ you make.

edit: also you can dock those old barques in a port you own and pay to upgrade them, which is more time efficient (and therefore cost efficient) than selling them for a pittance and rebuilding the newer variety.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 30, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah I have like 500 hours in this game but still ask a question every other page. This game just has an absolute crazy amount of different systems, and sometimes you just don't interact with one unless you're a certain nation/religion/region. Like I know gently caress all about the intricacies of merchant republics because I haven't played as one in like two years. It just happens with this game.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Thanks for the responses everyone :allears:

I didn't even know you can upgrade ships. Thats awesome

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

I just learned the hard way not to colonize Taiwan as Japan. I don't have any beef with you, Ming and Korea. I just wanted to peacefully colonize the South Pacific!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Inside Outside posted:

I [,Japan] don't have any beef with you, Ming and Korea.

You're doing it wrong.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
OK I think I'm burned out on playing in the Persia-India region, I just finished my 4th game there in 3 weeks. Pretty fun though I'm slightly tired on vassal feeding; it's by far the quickest way to dominate north India or the Persia region thanks to Punjab / Afghanistan / Persia cores, and then there's usually some random state you can vassal and refeed all its cores back to. The Persia game was probably the most enjoyable since it ramped up into me vs. the OE pretty early and I gave up once I'd forced them out of Anatolia because it was no longer possible to lose. Also having 30% morale so early from religion + piety + NIs was sick. The other games got dull fairly fast since there was no real incentive to piss off anyone important and nobody would form a coalition against me due to being scared. Forming Mughals as Delhi is something I'd been thinking about for ages and it definitely worked exactly how I had planned.

I do still kind of want to do a playthrough starting in the southern part of India but when the only choices are minors or Bahamids / Vijayanagar it cuts down on your options a bit.

E: I may have convinced myself to try another Tabarestan playthrough since I hosed up on some minor stuff early on and definitely could have done better.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 30, 2015

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
For light ships you don't want them in nodes you already dominate (due to diminishing returns) and nodes where other nations are pulling the trade in the direction that benefits you already.

For example, the Brazil trade node only leads to the Ivory Coast node and the AI nations will be pulling that trade to the Ivory Coast for you anyways.

However, the Ivory Coast trade node can go to your trade node (Sevilla) or the Caribbean trade node or the English Channel trade node. This means you're competing for where the trade goes with multiple other nations. Obviously you want the trade to flow to your node (Sevilla) so you would send your light ships and merchant there to ensure that you're getting a good chunk of that trade and not England.

Same with the Caribbean, that trade can go to France or North America. France will be trying to direct trade their way so you want to dominate that node so you can direct trade to your node. In the early stages North American colonies won't have much trade influence but once they get bigger you will have to compete with them so keep that in mind as well.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Yeah it's important to check out the total trade power in a node compared to its value to see if it's that worth fighting over. If a place is worth like 10 golds but there's only maybe 200 worth of trade power combined, then you're going to have a good chance making an impact with your light ships. If there's already a million powers fighting over the node, your light ships will just be a drop in the bucket and not have much of an impact.

That said, the tool-tip about the protect trade mission seems always wrong and short of doing a bunch of math it's best to just sort of go with your gut and experiment when it comes to trade. Play around and see what nodes and what ship amounts give you the best income.

QUESTION
I have a massive empire consisting of Italy, France, and Spain. I finally got enough of Italy to form Italy, and I'd like to to get the cultural union because most of my italian cultures are suffering under the 15% same-culture group penalty (wiz, make it so the tool-tip that shows culture percentages actually tells you the percent for cultural union cultures). Anyways, is there any way to change an existing game's Italy decision to only get the cultural union but not change government or ideas?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 30, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Comment out line 86 in .\decisions\ItalianNation.txt:

code:
effect = {
   change_tag = ITA
   if = {
      limit = {
         is_part_of_hre = yes
         is_elector = no
         is_emperor = no
      }
      emperor = {
         add_opinion = {
            who = root
            modifier = opinion_left_empire
         }
      }
      set_in_empire = no
      emperor = {
         country_event = { id = hre_event.5 }
      }
   }
   if = {
      limit = {
         NOT = { government_rank = 2 }
      }
      set_government_rank = 2
   }
   italian_region = {
      limit = {
         NOT = { owned_by = ROOT }
      }
      add_claim = ITA
   }
   add_prestige = 25
   ITA = {
      set_capital = 118
   }
   if = {
      limit = {
         government = republic
      }
      change_government = despotic_monarchy
   }
   swap_free_idea_group = yes		#keep progress              <------------- This one.
}
ai_will_do = {
   factor = 1
   modifier = {
      factor = 0
      government = republic
   }
}

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
And the 6 lines above that one for staying as a republic

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
I started an Ayutthaya campaign to grab "The White Elephant" and "Land of the Eastern Jade". Are there other achievements to obviously pick up with those ones? Also how much time do I have to get to Central America? I'm assuming I want to go East through the Pacific and that I want Exploration first, but do I have time to pick up stuff in Asia or do I need to immediately start island hopping as fast as I can?

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Jackson Taus posted:

I started an Ayutthaya campaign to grab "The White Elephant" and "Land of the Eastern Jade". Are there other achievements to obviously pick up with those ones? Also how much time do I have to get to Central America? I'm assuming I want to go East through the Pacific and that I want Exploration first, but do I have time to pick up stuff in Asia or do I need to immediately start island hopping as fast as I can?

No Pirates in My Caribbean, if you don't already have it. Maybe That's a Silk Road if you can beat up the big powers in Asia and spend the troops on it. No idea on the strategy but afaik westernising out of lovely Chinese tech ASAP is a good idea. If you pick up Expansion for some reason you'll have good CBs on all your neighbours, too.

For the Switzerlake achievement, must you never own any ports, or just no ports at the time you own 99 provinces?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Gitro posted:

No Pirates in My Caribbean, if you don't already have it. Maybe That's a Silk Road if you can beat up the big powers in Asia and spend the troops on it. No idea on the strategy but afaik westernising out of lovely Chinese tech ASAP is a good idea. If you pick up Expansion for some reason you'll have good CBs on all your neighbours, too.

For the Switzerlake achievement, must you never own any ports, or just no ports at the time you own 99 provinces?

I have seen people get the achievement by releasing all coastal provinces as a vassal and breaking ties so unless something has changed you will be fine picking a port here or there.

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015
How did you deal with Ming when going for White Elephant? I've tried that run a couple times and it ends about 3 game days after I'm powerful enough to get rivaled.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

ZombieLenin posted:

Hate to beat a dead horse but lucky nations does not prevent super powers from collapsing, it just makes the game more annoying.

Gitro posted:

The achievement triggers as soon as you get rid of your last coastal province and have the 99 provinces cored. Vassal provinces don't count.

They should add an achievement called Snake, have a continuous land connection from the Atlantic to the Sea of Taiwan but less than X provinces, however few are needed for this to really be a snake and not a blob.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Tahirovic posted:

Hate to beat a dead horse but lucky nations does not prevent super powers from collapsing, it just makes the game more annoying.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Lucky nations makes the nations that have it much sturdier and likely to stick around on the map / be successful in wars they fight. I understand if fighting them and their super generals and high manpower is annoying, but they absolutely do stick around more and have much more of an impact. +1 to all MPs, reduced revolt risk, lower interest, more advisors, faster manpower recovery, less AE - it's all in there and it makes a big difference.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Is a good idea set for Muscovy Administrative (coring costs) -> Influence (AE curbing) -> Religious -> Expansion -> Economic -> 2 military? It seems to be too light on military so I'm guessing expansion could be cut out.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

TTBF posted:

Is a good idea set for Muscovy Administrative (coring costs) -> Influence (AE curbing) -> Religious -> Expansion -> Economic -> 2 military? It seems to be too light on military so I'm guessing expansion could be cut out.

Expansion is a godsend as Muscovy, If you get it with Quantity you get one of the best policies in the game (+1 colonist +10 settlers/year) As for military ideas, defensive would probably be the best 1st idea and after that Offensive, Quantity, or Quality are all amazing and two groups along with Muscovy's amazing national ideas is plenty (at least as far as your first 4-6 idea groups go)

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Yeah, after thinking about it most of the territory I'm going to be taking after the game start isn't going to be very expensive to core, at least until I get Admin Efficiency. So I'm probably going to knock Administrative out of that list.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

TTBF posted:

Honestly I'd say no. Lithuania is way stronger this patch, meaning that after Novgorod, you'll go east first, and those provinces are cheap to core anyway. The AE doesn't matter, because nobody will coalition you due to your size. Just go Religious first, pick up that sweet CB, conquer the Hordes, and then go west. Religious, Military group, Diplomatic group, then maybe Admin if you want it. Expansion is OK, but with Religious you'll have a CB on everyone already, and I usually just pick up trade as my first diplo idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Honestly I'd say no. Lithuania is way stronger this patch, meaning that after Novgorod, you'll go east first, and those provinces are cheap to core anyway. The AE doesn't matter, because nobody will coalition you due to your size. Just go Religious first, pick up that sweet CB, conquer the Hordes, and then go west. Religious, Military group, Diplomatic group, then maybe Admin if you want it. Expansion is OK, but with Religious you'll have a CB on everyone already, and I usually just pick up trade as my first diplo idea.

Yeah, it seems like a lot has changed since my last Muscovy game and I'm having a hard time tossing out the information that no longer matters. I've done the math and the amount of administrative points I need for the objectives I've set (novgorod, religious track to 3, golden horde, religious track to 4, kazakh) can be gained in about 40 years. Including time to wage war and the occasional stability hit, that's not an unreasonable amount of time.

• Locked thread