Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
If anyone's looking for any extra incentive to read the original Suicide Squad, CBR just put up a huge freaking love letter to the series. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

redbackground posted:

If anyone's looking for any extra incentive to read the original Suicide Squad, CBR just put up a huge freaking love letter to the series. :allears:

Now if DC could just release the whole thing in trade form instead of just the first story arc (twice!).

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Oh I had a Green Lantern related question also, what are the storylines between Green Lantern Blackest Night and the new 52 relaunch, which I was told just continues the previous storylines.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The trades are w brightest day: Gl, War of the Lanterns, reboot, gl: sinestro, gl: revenge of the black hand, then those trades in that sale you bought.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Just to be clear, Brightest day green lantern is different from the deadman story? I wasn't a big fan of that one.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kurtofan posted:

Just to be clear, Brightest day green lantern is different from the deadman story? I wasn't a big fan of that one.

It's a tie end but it doesn't have much to do with that story.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 24, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wanna post the last page of Bombshells #1.

Okay, bye.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 28, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is the JSA a thing in New 52?

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Kurtofan posted:

Is the JSA a thing in New 52?

Only on Earth-2 and I don't think they've ever been called the JSA...also they're nothing like the original JSA...so no.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There still hasn't been a New 52 Doctor Midnight, has there? Hopefully he shows up Earth 2: Society.

And his N52 reimagining lets him rotate his head 180 degrees with no explanation.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
So I read Cyborg #1. My question... Vic mentions three times he almost died. The first was the Apokaliptian (Apokaliptic?) invasion, the second was the Grid taking over his bionics and separating from his body. What was the third? When did he upgrade from the post-Forever Evil armor?

Also, I liked his C-gear symbol. DC should've kept it if he's going to be pushed as one of the icons.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dario the Wop posted:

So I read Cyborg #1. My question... Vic mentions three times he almost died. The first was the Apokaliptian (Apokaliptic?) invasion, the second was the Grid taking over his bionics and separating from his body. What was the third? When did he upgrade from the post-Forever Evil armor?

Also, I liked his C-gear symbol. DC should've kept it if he's going to be pushed as one of the icons.

The sneak peek for the series http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/dc-sneak-peek-cyborg-dc-comics-2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

There's too much terrible to go into detail with on this but holy poo poo, more arms getting cut off.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Madkal posted:

It took me a minute to get the HALFASS joke. I also loved the end-of-life care bear. drat the book can be dark and hilarious at the same time.

I'm dumb, could you explain that first bit? :c

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Teenage Fansub posted:

I wanna post the last page of Bombshells #1.

Okay, bye.

Well I like the look of Waller much better then I do in Suicide Squad. She actually has some bulk on her.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Didn't they introduce some subplot in that terrible Suicide Squad comic that Waller started breaking her diet?

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Thank you! I am willing to see this series through the first arc, despite the now-standard DC trope of arms being severed.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Dario the Wop posted:

Thank you! I am willing to see this series through the first arc, despite the now-standard DC trope of arms being severed.

Between DC's comics and Marvel's films (phase two, at least), there must be a subliminal prosthetic arms ad somewhere.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well I like the look of Waller much better then I do in Suicide Squad. She actually has some bulk on her.

With Viola Davis playing her in the movie I wouldn't be surprised if we get a more curvy and less skinny 25-year-old supermodel version of her sooner or later. Still not the Amanda Waller of old, but at least a bit more like her.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Decius posted:

With Viola Davis playing her in the movie I wouldn't be surprised if we get a more curvy and less skinny 25-year-old supermodel version of her sooner or later. Still not the Amanda Waller of old, but at least a bit more like her.

She's still a supermodel on TV.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

She's also a terrible character on Arrow who will probably be phased out anyway thanks to the movie similar to Deadshot.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well, Viola Davis is a beautiful woman, but she's also very blatantly not a beautiful woman by the conventional standards of society. She herself has talked about this, and the shows and movies she's appeared in has addressed it directly. I think that dichotomy a great fit for Waller; frankly the best casting decision in the DCCU to date.

e: ...okay, rereading this post, it sounds a little like I'm saying "She'll be a great Waller 'cuz she's ugly!!" which is not quite what I was going for. :sweatdrop:

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 29, 2015

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I've never read a Green Lantern comic in my life but I've decided to try jumping in with the two post-Convergence series, Lost Army and the regular GL book. Is there anything specific I need to know or should I pretty much be able to pick it up? I'd like to go back and read some of the old New 52 stuff and the well-known Johns GL run eventually, but that probably won't happen for a while, so I was hoping they weren't vital.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The biggest thing to get clued up on is Krona in Lost Army http://www.comicvine.com/krona/4005-27246/ to see why him just hanging out like, "Hey guys I'm just a scientist guy, how's it going?" is a big thing.

I haven't been reading Venditti's GL recently, but I think the new status quos are starting all in medias res where you're supposed to be in the cold.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 30, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I know I asked about the rogues before, but what are good flash stories in general? New 52 or before.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kurtofan posted:

I know I asked about the rogues before, but what are good flash stories in general? New 52 or before.

Waids run and Geoff John Wally run. The start of 52 was also really good and stop after the author change.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrianWilly posted:

Well, Viola Davis is a beautiful woman, but she's also very blatantly not a beautiful woman by the conventional standards of society. She herself has talked about this, and the shows and movies she's appeared in has addressed it directly. I think that dichotomy a great fit for Waller; frankly the best casting decision in the DCCU to date.

e: ...okay, rereading this post, it sounds a little like I'm saying "She'll be a great Waller 'cuz she's ugly!!" which is not quite what I was going for. :sweatdrop:

I would stab each and every one of you for a single kiss on the cheek from Viola Davis.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Anyone else underwhelmed by this weeks Superman? I also think they're kinda using him going nova a bit too much just to have him be more vulnerable as an easy out to write stories where he can't solve his problems with him being "Superman". I feel like the Action Comics storyline would work just as fine if he still had his normal power set. Jeans and t-shirt for the win though.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I kinda have to agree. GLY's run has been a bit lacking and the Super Flare spamming is silly. Action Comics is by far the best story in this Truth event.

It's a good thing it reasonably stands on its own.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jiro posted:

Anyone else underwhelmed by this weeks Superman? I also think they're kinda using him going nova a bit too much just to have him be more vulnerable as an easy out to write stories where he can't solve his problems with him being "Superman". I feel like the Action Comics storyline would work just as fine if he still had his normal power set. Jeans and t-shirt for the win though.

The nova seemed to be part one of their plan. They showed a dude going up to him and doing something to him and causing the power loss.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Batgirl Annual was a series of pitch-perfect crossovers, goddamn what a great setpiece for DC's new potential.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Space Fish posted:

Batgirl Annual was a series of pitch-perfect crossovers, goddamn what a great setpiece for DC's new potential.

It was awesome.
I hope Bengal gets a regular book.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Space Fish posted:

I found the writing incredibly mediocre. Helena, Dick and Steph were horribly out of character and for supposedly a single storyline, the whole thing was very disjointed. Art was pretty but nothing more.

The Lobo annual on the other hand was pretty drat good, it showed both Lobo and Sinestro doing wha they do best and set a pretty interesting setup for the two books' next arc.

Jiro posted:

Yeah, it felt like they only wanted a Superman depowered and exposed but they didn't gave a lot of thought at the why of those changes.

Oh and if anyone's intrested, I've kept doing the Red Hood reviews. Is pretty fun.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I found the writing incredibly mediocre. Helena, Dick and Steph were horribly out of character and for supposedly a single storyline, the whole thing was very disjointed. Art was pretty but nothing more.

The Lobo annual on the other hand was pretty drat good, it showed both Lobo and Sinestro doing wha they do best and set a pretty interesting setup for the two books' next arc.

Yeah, it felt like they only wanted a Superman depowered and exposed but they didn't gave a lot of thought at the why of those changes.

Oh and if anyone's intrested, I've kept doing the Red Hood reviews. Is pretty fun.

I don't know about Steph because I haven't been reading Catwoman, but I agree that Grayson and Helena seemed... off. I like the concept of doing a big story where Batgirl kinda hops around teaming up with all the various heroes in Gotham since there are so many books set there (hell, I like the idea of any character doing that, like I said, it's a great concept) but the execution was a little sloppy. I mean the transition from Batwoman to Gotham Academy was literally "Oh poo poo the villain broke out of her cuffs off panel while we were listening to exposition and no one noticed, better go to the next crossover".

Fuckstick Electric
Nov 25, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Is there a reason for the obsession with Waller being overweight? Coming from someone on neither side of the fence it seems odd to pigeon-hole a character who, as I understand it, is almost sociopathic and pursuant to her ideologies which I'd assume also meant being as physically fit as possible. But then again I really don't have the history with the character so I'm genuinely curious.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fuckstick Electric posted:

Is there a reason for the obsession with Waller being overweight? Coming from someone on neither side of the fence it seems odd to pigeon-hole a character who, as I understand it, is almost sociopathic and pursuant to her ideologies which I'd assume also meant being as physically fit as possible. But then again I really don't have the history with the character so I'm genuinely curious.

There are no fat black ladies in comics, she is one.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah it makes her rather unique in a world where visually most characters look similar or the same as each other.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

so I'm genuinely curious.

Spend a buck and find out https://www.comixology.com/Suicide-Squad-1987-1992-1/digital-comic/31707?ref=c2VyaWVzL3ZpZXcvZGVza3RvcC9ncmlkTGlzdC9Jc3N1ZXM

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Sexying up the one lady in comics who never needed it seems desperate and lame. It was great they had someone so different but effective, and then they literally threw it away when nobody asked for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

She was a short, chunky black single mother who had the clout to command a team of super-villains and out-maneuver Batman when he tried to shut her down. All these things made her incredibly unique and it was a fascinating character to unpack. I haven't read much of the character in n52 but I think I read she's not a single mother any more, so she's even less unique. You've got her pegged sort of wrong, I wouldn't say she's sociopathic. She's certainly driven. I doubt she considers herself a 'good' person, she does have ethics. She's just willing to sacrifice her own ethical code to do what she thinks is going to benefit her country more.

Also being fat wasn't a huge part of her character which was incredibly rare in comics. She was just fat, that's how she looked. They didn't feel the need to draw her scarfing Ho-Hos every issue. It's a refreshing take on the shadowy government operative cliche. In a world where even like Professor X is drawn with biceps and washboard abs it was nice to see a character drawn more like a real desk jockey.

e: AND she did all that without falling into the 'sassy thick black lady' cliche. Goddamn Ostrander was the man.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 30, 2015

• Locked thread