Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Air is lava! posted:

So did the developers pretty much drop that Evan guy? He was in episode 1. And sitting in the bus at the end of episode 3. That's all we ever see of him.
I sort of liked that guy, since he reminds me of someone.

I don't think he got dropped, he's just another mostly unimportant side dude like Stella or Luke. I'm pretty sure I saw him in Episode 4 in the background at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Death to Mr. Jefferson

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Just bought the game a couple of days ago and played through it, after having watched an LP (of everything but ep 4), it ends up feeling a lot more linear when it's the "second time" through because you end up seeing some of the "seams" in the game design (what choice matters and what doesn't, how much fluff/filler there is etc).

Especially episode 4 didn't seem to have much choice of importance despite being the longest(?) episode so far, except the sequence with Frank and the usual sprinkling of "does this person show up here, y/n" thing (which rank more as pay-off to choices in earlier episodes). I enjoy the story enough for that to not bother me overly much, but it felt pretty noticeable here (unlike the earlier Kate/David stuff).
Maybe it's because this is the second last episode and they kinda have to get the plot moving towards the conclusion and you don't really have much influence over how the main plot turns out.

Man, these sort of games always leaves me feeling like there's some missed potential to really have some good replayability.

e: The time alternative "branch" jump could have been used way better as far as player choice and impact goes, even if it didn't necessarily have to impact the main plot.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jul 30, 2015

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Sup Guys

Really, can't use timg in a spoiler tag?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Life is Strange, like TWD, is one of those games that can be replayed, but in my opinion is better off being played through once. It's not designed to be like a Mass Effect / Alpha Protocol where your decisions can lead into wildly branching storylines and game states. The major story beats are always going to be the same. Instead, the importance and weight of your choices is placed on the different ways characters react to you and how that affects the narrative. For example, Kate being alive/dead completely changes the vibe of subsequent episodes, even if it doesn't lead to a huge diversion in the plot. The intent isn't that you'll just reload the story again and again, but that it feels like your own unique story that's different in some permutation from every other player. One thing Life is Strange does really well is that you actually have to pay attention to your prior decisions. It's not like in Mass Effect where you can assassinate a dude in cold blood one moment and rescue a kitten in the next. The major confrontations with Kate, Frank, and Victoria all rely on understanding what the character wants, as well as making prior decisions that do not make resolution impossible.

The final episode also hasn't been released yet, and so we still don't know the extent to which our choices will affect the endstate.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 30, 2015

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I agree, despite the CYOA genre there's only really enough "alternative content" to maintain the illusion of choice for one playthrough and it's not really there to give crazy amount of entirely different outcomes. The difference in budget for these games compared to the more AAA mainstream titles rules that out and I wasn't quitegoing for that sort of thing in my critique.
Even when talking about "major choices" I'd be fine if was just more tiny butteryfly things sprinkled in from choices you make (especially if that jump had lots of leak-over effects in the "main branch" depending on your choices, don't think I noticed anything though?). Things like how certain relationships are, hell, even how people dress, graffiti changing or buildings look; small touches can be as effective as "weird weather thing", without impacting the main plot at all. I felt there was some of that missing that lent to the episode feeling more linear than it had to be, without doubling the budget for the games so to speak (could certainly use less money spent on puzzle/"finding the right items" padding). Like you are only along for the ride during a bunch of segments.
When you start to involve all these time powers you really can afford to be going a little more crazy with your world's... "flexibility" compared to the more mundane CYOA choices.

And yes, I can see how certain choices in this episode (and previously) could have a relatively big impact in ep 5 still. Especially when it comes to Frank and David.

Hope they go for a Life is Strange 2 (even if it's without any of these characters), I just want more of the good poo poo and these sort of games got all sort of potential to explore all kinds of settings and stories.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah, they've said that's what they might well do. A spiritual sequel with different characters. Given how well this has sold, I fully expect them to follow up with something similar.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Life is Strange, like TWD, is one of those games that can be replayed, but in my opinion is better off being played through once.

I agree, but still, e I'd love to do a evil-Max murderathon playthrough where I try and knock off as many characters as possible.

If you let Chloe become a murderer of men and dogs how does she react afterwards?

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I agree, but still, e I'd love to do a evil-Max murderathon playthrough where I try and knock off as many characters as possible.

If you let Chloe become a murderer of men and dogs how does she react afterwards?

She's all hosed up

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I enjoyed warren beating up nathan

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

I enjoyed warren beating up nathan

same

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

1. Stop Warren.
2. Do Nothing.
3. [GO APE]

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

How long has the game been teasing going to the movies? I don't think it's going to happen now :(

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

You are the movie now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Warren invites you to the movies next week, so it was never going to happen in this timeframe, unless in some glorious happy ending epilogue.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I have time travel powers man

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Watching this on repeat since I saw it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Can't wait for the sequel Life is Stranger!

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I'm personally waiting on the pre-sequel Life is Gay.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Hey speaking of Alpha Protocol, Obsidian should totallt get in on this booming adventure/CYOA market and make some kickstarter/budgety title.

"What can change the nature of a High School Girl?"
"A fiery whore? No, wait that's not right- Oh I got it, the answer is Time Travel!"

Well I guess the writing would be slightly different without Avellone anymore.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
IDK why people on SA love to watch LPs for story games and then be all 'man its not as fun when i play it myself now'. No poo poo

drat why isnt it as engrossing to read this book after listening to the audiotape?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Codependent Poster posted:

Can't wait for the sequel Life is Stranger!
A crossover with Oddworld and Nocturne.

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.
End of episode 4 spoilers:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Viva Miriya posted:

I'm hoping that's the actual sequel too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Viva Miriya posted:

Max finds a polaroid of herself with a Sleater-Kinney CD and is given the option to permanently reverse her sexuality.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Dontnod's next game is a vampire rpg.

Life is Undeath, starring Doe the Vampire.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Don't know if I can handle another round of American teen dialogue written by adult Frenchmen again.

What with their hella teen 'tudes and all, brah

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Roman Reigns posted:

Don't know if I can handle another round of American teen dialogue written by adult Frenchmen again.

What with their hella teen 'tudes and all, brah

As a non-American it doesn't seem all that unrealistic, except maybe things like "eggy weggs"; I'm actually warming up to that in light of all the insane poo poo surrounding Max. She says that line twenty minutes after euthanizing a parallel universe version of her best friend - whose condition she's indirectly responsible for - so Eggy Weggs all you want, kiddo, you sure as hell earned it.

edit: sorry, forgot spoilers

seravid fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 30, 2015

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

My Max is a vegetarian.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dude, spoilers there :ohdear:.

You know you're having a bad day when you get your best friend killed twice.

On another note; How do you get Frank killed?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You know you're having a bad day when you get your best friend killed twice.

On another note; How do you get Frank killed?

All you have to do is gently caress up your interrogation of him. If Chloe's got a gun, he dies.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

seravid posted:

As a non-American it doesn't seem all that unrealistic, except maybe things like "eggy weggs"; I'm actually warming up to that in light of all the insane poo poo surrounding Max. She says that line twenty minutes after euthanizing a parallel universe version of her best friend - whose condition she's indirectly responsible for - so Eggy Weggs all you want, kiddo, you sure as hell earned it.

I just assumed that was a Clockwork Orange reference and she'd be having some lomticks of toast with it.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

seravid posted:

people say eggy weggs all the time in the US hth

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I just wanted to jump in to confess that this game has made me cry more than every other videogame in the history of videogames, combined. An hour into this episode, after the you know what decision, with Amanda Palmer playing on the soundtrack? I was blubbering like a giant retarded baby, tears, snot, the whole nine yards. This loving game man.

Doesn't help that I couldn't save Kate at the end of episode 2 either. I'd done all I could to be nice to her, and be there for her, but still she jumped. Even though the game is still hitting the same story beats without her, it's a huge change in the narrative that for me beats out any of the branching in Telltale games.

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good
Mentally ill or not, I'm glad Warren beat up Nathan, and hell, I'd gladly let him beat up Nathan again, whether he's on his meds or not. #teambeatupnathan #whocaresabouthismentalstate

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good
I hope the game culminates in a heart breaking scene where Nathan is crying on the floor, talking of how his parents never loved him and no one was there for him, how Jefferson strung him along and used him, that he suffers from pstd and a whole bunch of other disorders, that his psychiatrist doesn't understand him and his meds don't work etc. And the game gives you the option to let Warren brutally stone cold stunner him and then pile drive him through a table and he dies. That would be the perfect ending imo.

Machinegunboyo fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 30, 2015

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Sakurazuka posted:

I just assumed that was a Clockwork Orange reference and she'd be having some lomticks of toast with it.

Welp, guess it's been too many years since I've last read the book/watched the movie; I didn't remember that at all.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oops. Fixed, but the jerks who quoted me will have to do the same.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Machinegunboyo posted:

I hope the game culminates in a heart breaking scene where Warren is crying on the floor, talking of how his parents never loved him and no one was there for him, how Jefferson strung him along and used him, that he suffers from pstd and a whole bunch of other disorders, that his psychiatrist doesn't understand him and his meds don't work etc. And the game gives you the option to let Warren brutally stone cold stunner him and then pile drive him through a table and he dies. That would be the perfect ending imo.

:agreed:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think its gonna end with it all going even further sideways until using that photo from the start of Episode One to unfuck the entire week with a speedy STOP HIM HE'S A SERIAL KILLER!" in class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

Machinegunboyo posted:

I hope the game culminates in a heart breaking scene where Warren is crying on the floor, talking of how his parents never loved him and no one was there for him, how Jefferson strung him along and used him, that he suffers from pstd and a whole bunch of other disorders, that his psychiatrist doesn't understand him and his meds don't work etc. And the game gives you the option to let Warren brutally stone cold stunner him and then pile drive him through a table and he dies. That would be the perfect ending imo.

Kind of a paradox, but still awesome.

• Locked thread