Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

Also, yeah, it's cancelled, not just ending. Yaitanes wanted it to go for 5 seasons afaik.

So uh... I guess the Cinemax-having-actual-good-poo poo experiment was a failure?

Banshee was Cinemax's highest-rated show and was getting nigh-universal critical praise for its third season, which is like nectar to premium channels. Part of the reason why Cinemax asked them to make some cuts is because they're expanding their lineup and that costs money. If the production is saying "That's all the story we have," I believe them.

EDIT: ESPECIALLY when, like V-Day said, the last season ended on an Empire Strikes Back moment that completely blew up the initial premise of the show. This isn't Person of Interest where the ratings sagged and they're being forced into an endgame; we're clearly going into the third act.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Vanderdeath posted:

They still have The Knick, which is like a masterclass on editing and cinematography.

Shame about everything else.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
So between Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and Banshee the lesson I've taken from all this is that if your premium cable show does really well then your channel is going to play hardball with your budget so they can use that money to make new shows at the expense of the show actually getting them ratings in the first place.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

So between Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and Banshee the lesson I've taken from all this is that if your premium cable show does really well then your channel is going to play hardball with your budget so they can use that money to make new shows at the expense of the show actually getting them ratings in the first place.

The biggest example is the first season of The Walking Dead, which was setting ratings records for AMC and instead of giving them as much money as the needed they nickel and dimed the production even going so far as to keep the tax break the show was supposed to get for filming in Georgia.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

The knick is the best airing show.

Halt and Catch Fire is still dumb as hell, it seemed better for a bit but it isn't good.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fooz posted:

Halt and Catch Fire is still dumb as hell, it seemed better for a bit but it isn't good.

I love it, it's a billion times better than S1.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't know why they keep pretending Joe is going to California. Really fake drama.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I like HCF but goddamn am I so sick of Cameron. She was getting better in the first half of this season but now she's right back to being insufferable. I just want the show to be about Donna, Joe and the Boz wheelin' and dealin' while Gordon drives himself crazy making the first Pentium processor or something.

edit: I watched Ferris Bueller for the first time ever a couple of nights ago and just got the origin of Cameron's name. I hope they bring it up in the show.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 30, 2015

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Boz is the good part.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vanderdeath posted:

I like HCF but goddamn am I so sick of Cameron. She was getting better in the first half of this season but now she's right back to being insufferable. I just want the show to be about Donna, Joe and the Boz wheelin' and dealin' while Gordon drives himself crazy making the first Pentium processor or something.

edit: I watched Ferris Bueller for the first time ever a couple of nights ago and just got the origin of Cameron's name. I hope they bring it up in the show.

Wasn't she named for James Cameron, since they envisioned her as "one of those kickass ladies in a tank top" that he likes to put in his films? I coulda sworn I read that somewhere.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The last five minutes of tonight's Mr. Robot is probably one of the best television scenes I've seen all year.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was such a loving downer.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Spoil it please. I quit after the pilot.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

muscles like this? posted:

The biggest example is the first season of The Walking Dead, which was setting ratings records for AMC and instead of giving them as much money as the needed they nickel and dimed the production even going so far as to keep the tax break the show was supposed to get for filming in Georgia.

Toxxupation posted:

actually it was both and neither

Matt Weiner wanted a pay raise from Lionsgate for Mad Men that was essentially double what he was being paid

Lionsgate went to AMC and pointed out that Weiner was threatening to quit and they (the studio producing Mad Men) didn't want to pay him more

AMC looked at MM and saw its ratings (which had been and always were low) and decided against giving him a pay raise

Lionsgate then investigated whether or not they could change showrunners, they apparently called Aaron Sorkin (former showrunner of The West Wing and currently not doing anything after writing The Social Network) and he literally laughed them off the phone, which is saying something because he's the most self-centered and egotistical showrunner in the business, and even he wanted nothing to do with taking over for Weiner

so lionsgate was forced to work out a deal with AMC wherein they gave him the pay raise they searched for

AMC then cut the budget for TWD Season 2, which they were wholly producing so they could do that, which is why TWD Season 2 is set on the farm for almost all of its run...because they had literally no budget because all the money that was there went to Weiner's pay raise

At around this time Gilligan was spinning up Breaking Bad Season 5, which he wanted to be 16 episodes over 13 as was traditional because he had a longer story to tell

Sony, the studio producing BB, went to AMC, which at this point was desperately cash-strapped after forking over for Weiner's demands and budgets TWD S2

So AMC responded they wanted a shorter final season (figuring that the ratings for BB had always been so-so and they already paid a shitload of cash out-of-pocket for their "prestige" cable drama that got low ratings), 6-8 episodes

Sony threw a shitfit and started courting other cable channels- apparently HBO was genuinely interested in the pickup, and AMC was placed over a barrel by Gilligan threatening to quit if he didn't get the episode order he wanted and Sony ready to play super, duper hardball

To make the finances make sense and because casts are paid on a per-season basis, AMC struck a deal: 16 episodes, split over two 8 episode "half seasons" (so the cast wouldn't get a pay raise), which would split the production costs over two fiscal years

everyone walked away happy

gilligan has said on record that he couldn't have broken 16 scripts in the time allotted if he didn't have the break, which is helped by the pushback for Better Call Saul literally being because scripts weren't ready in time for a fall 2014 premiere like AMC had planned, but who knows, it could've been just gilligan being nice and covering for AMC, especially when considering he had executed 13-script seasons in the three seasons before season 5

the irony, of course, is that ultimately it was a combination of both poo poo budgeting and gilligan needing the extra time to think the conclusion through properly, but all the tea leaves point to more the former than the latter

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Mu Zeta posted:

Spoil it please. I quit after the pilot.

Big spoilers for Mr. Robot, sorry for the CIA doc: Elliot's drug dealer/next door neighbor, Shayla, became his girlfriend but her supplier, a Dominican gangster named Fernando Vera, is extremely possessive and unpredictable. Vera drugged and raped Shayla which spurred Elliot to take action and turn in evidence on Vera which, in turn, cut off his own supply and caused him to go into horrible withdrawals.

While locked up, Vera puts together that the only person who could've had the skill to find the evidence on him that quickly is Elliot. Long story short, the evidence was so easily gotten because of Vera's brother. His brother was aiming to get Vera killed so that he could take over the operation himself. So, Vera's brother and another gang member picks Elliot and Shayla up and tell Elliot to break Vera out or else. Vera's brother obviously wants the plan to fail but Elliot pulls out a Hail Mary trojan with the help of FSociety and causes the power to fail in the jail. Vera escapes and meets up with Elliot, his brother and another gang member outside of the jail. The other gang member shoots Vera's brother dead on the spot and signals for another car to pick him and Vera up. Elliot asks him where Shayla is and Vera tosses him some car keys and tells him that Shayla was with them all along. As Vera and the gang speed off, Elliot opens the trunk and finds the body of Shayla, who was likely killed immediately after they were captured.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

None of that sounds good.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Oh Snapple! posted:

None of that sounds good.

It's a lot better than my lovely summary makes it out to be.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
There's no real point in summarizing it; it was all in the execution.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DivisionPost posted:

EDIT: ESPECIALLY when, like V-Day said, the last season ended on an Empire Strikes Back moment that completely blew up the initial premise of the show. This isn't Person of Interest where the ratings sagged and they're being forced into an endgame; we're clearly going into the third act.

Oh, is that show about the crime solving Facebook ending then? It's had like 10 seasons - isn't that enough?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Vanderdeath posted:

It's a lot better than my lovely summary makes it out to be.

HorseRenoir posted:

There's no real point in summarizing it; it was all in the execution.

Yeah, I'll admit the execution could make it. Reading it in a summary, though, it's just a collection of narrative directions that make me roll my eyes.

Unrelated, I keep giving Hannibal Burress's show chances because gently caress it, it's late, but it continues to just be aggressively unfunny.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Review with Forrest MacNeil starts season 2 tonight.

Nathan For You starts up again on October 15.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The last couple of episode of Extant have been outstanding. Adding Jeffrey Dean Morgan to the cast was a stroke of genius.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Rocksicles posted:

The last couple of episode of Extant have been outstanding. Adding Jeffrey Dean Morgan to the cast was a stroke of genius.

Really? Dang, I watched the whole boring first season hoping it would get really good at some point, then I missed the premiere of this season and took it as an excuse to bail. Figures it would get good after I finally gave up.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Molly is kicking rear end and taking names! Jeffrey Dean Morgan is playing a no fucks given alcoholic cop, it's great.

Molly's kid is the world's greatest actor.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Rocksicles posted:

Molly's kid is the world's greatest actor.

That's the kid from Looper, right ?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah. he's a badman.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't like to get all male gazey but Jesus Christ Sherilynn Fenn as Audrey Horne.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They signed a 3-year deal for a new show on Amazon

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Because they hadn't run the same gimmick into the ground over the last 15 years, lets keep it going on another network.

I haven't seen Richard 'The Hamster' Hammond with facial hair before, it looks loving terrible.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Because they hadn't run the same gimmick into the ground over the last 15 years, lets keep it going on another network.

I haven't seen Richard 'The Hamster' Hammond with facial hair before, it looks loving terrible.

Uh am I wrong but wasn't Top Gear immensely popular even up to the end?

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Goons give it a hard time because "it's too obviously scripted" but it still had a huge audience all across the world all the way to the end. Record breaking big audiences iirc

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

Huh, thought it was going to be Netflix. Would have preferred that a lot to be honest.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

This time they skip the middleman and just use the cars to run down minorities.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mrking posted:

Goons give it a hard time because "it's too obviously scripted" but it still had a huge audience all across the world all the way to the end. Record breaking big audiences iirc

Graaah Amazon are idiots!!!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Aphrodite posted:

This time they skip the middleman and just use the cars to run down minorities.

And now it's time to put a star in our unreasonably priced car running through a Moroccan bazaar.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Let's make Amazon deliveries (in the actual Amazon) using a Bugatti Veyron

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 30, 2015

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Amazon are clever but between this and Allen they've pretty much guaranteed I will never pay for Prime. Stop giving shows to awful shitheads, Amazon!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

who are they?

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

England's version of The Three Stooges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L