Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
The way I think of the difference is that you want washes to pool, but you don't want glazes to pool.

Edit:

So when putting a wash on the brush, you want it quite full, but a glaze you want it to be wet but not loaded.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Miniatures Painting - Smooth, Black Rimming (Kinda Meh)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I like to use graffiti ink for my rims. One coat, no muss no fuss, no paint to get worn off.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Ah ok I wasn't clear - I meant glaze medium and paint over zenthal primed figures - all via can and paintbrush rather than airbrush.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Ok so I finally finished my first real effort at painting a miniature since I was a kid. Feedback welcome.

I like how it turned out but would really appreciate any suggestions on what to improve for my next fig. Thanks!

(Sorry for the lovely cell phone pic- I'm even worse at taking pictures than I am at painting) :)

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

That looks really good! The color choices are really nice, the color balance keeps everything focused, and your brushwork is nice and clean. My only minor bits of advice would be to go a bit farther with your highlights, and complete the base. Other than that, good job A+ keep painting.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Anyone know where I could find good anime decals for models - specifically Jojo? I'm thinking about a 1"x2" area at most.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Ok so I finally finished my first real effort at painting a miniature since I was a kid. Feedback welcome.

I like how it turned out but would really appreciate any suggestions on what to improve for my next fig. Thanks!

(Sorry for the lovely cell phone pic- I'm even worse at taking pictures than I am at painting) :)

Out of curiosity, what miniature is that? I kinda like the look of it.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Pierzak posted:

Motherfucker! And here I thought it was done by hand with a really good knowledge of light reflections. :argh: Are the Black/Heavy Metal paints actually metallic, or just NMM shades called that? Hard to tell in the photos.

Black and Heavy Metal are two metallic paints from Scalecolor's line. They're roughly equivalent to VMA Black and a tone slightly lighter than Gun.

Also, I painted Kornak Gazarot today in about a six and a half hour straight dash. Forgot to drybrush his base at the end, but he's pretty much done in these kind of lovely cellphone pictures.

Really happy with how the NMM on the sword blade turned out, and painting a white-haired dude with basically chalky white skin presented some challenges that I solved with careful application of browns and greys. No real cheats here, just blew through painting up my relatively simple morat scheme and didn't gently caress around too much beyond dirtying and scratching up his armor here and there. A lot of careful highlighting and blending, and some experimentation using pure white for a lot of highlights (which the black armor certainly lends itself to, although it works basically everywhere else, too). The metal part of the gun and the gold bits (his hair decorations and sword hilt) are TMM again, everything else is non.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Cool guy. I want to reiterate. Or just say (if I didn't before), your basing idea is really awesome and sets off your colorscheme perfectly. I bet the eventual group shot will be spectacular.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Attestant posted:

Out of curiosity, what miniature is that? I kinda like the look of it.

Satheras by Reaper. Googling this guy, I had a wave of pride hit me as I think my paint job is as good as most of the google image results. :unsmith:

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010
:hb: Oath cross post: :hb:

The formed-up shot:

The behind shot:

Two milling about shots (trying to figure out the best way to photograph things):

Closeup on the banner skelle:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Black rims can look nice, but when black is a predominant color on the model then it looks like the base is somehow related to the character.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Do any of you know where I can buy Marx's Cars of the Future? They look perfect for a project I want to work on.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Before I say what I did here, what do you think of this effect?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

signalnoise posted:

Before I say what I did here, what do you think of this effect?

Blue foam or 3-D printed?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Badly shaken transparent white spraypaint

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

signalnoise posted:

Badly shaken transparent white spraypaint

Welp. Think you should strip the primer off and try again, because it looks bad with that texture on it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

Welp. Think you should strip the primer off and try again, because it looks bad with that texture on it.

I think I can play it off as snow (if I do it to everything)

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Are you from a tropical region?

Snow only looks like that under very specific cases for about 5 minutes. It then either melts or piles up.

As a former Mainer, I would not appreciate your misrepresentation of my state's greatest natural resource.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Are you from a tropical region?

Snow only looks like that under very specific cases for about 5 minutes. It then either melts or piles up.

As a former Mainer, I would not appreciate your misrepresentation of my state's greatest natural resource.

I am from Atlanta, so sort of

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Oh christ. So you think those department store displays in december are real?

What sort of stuff do you have down there. Say, don't you have some kind of fluffy plant that covers everything within 100 miles in lint for a month when it blooms?

Say it's that.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah but that poo poo is yellow man

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

My current snow recipe is realistic water mixed with snow flock.

My current ice is done with a very liberal amount of kroma crackle.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It will look fine as long as you throw down a heavy glaze and then panel wash/streaking grime the poo poo out of it. Then it will basically look like a shipping container which has been salt weathered (as in by real salty sea water, not the minis technique).

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Nah I'm gonna repaint it anyway. This was a tester. What I'm actually trying to do is find out if I can use this stuff as a post-color zenithal. I'm gonna shake it up good next time and see if I can get a smooth layer on.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I'm starting a Skaven themed 40k army. I'll be using a Grey Seer as a Librarian.

I was satisfied with it until I took a picture and saw it in richer detail. It's decent but I can definitely see some parts of it I need to improve.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I feel like he needs to look more "40k" since a scrawny little rat in a robe isn't gonna pass as a T4 3+ model.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

SRM posted:

I feel like he needs to look more "40k" since a scrawny little rat in a robe isn't gonna pass as a T4 3+ model.

He gets those stats from magic. :colbert:

Unfortuanately I haven't found a rat model that looks like a Psyker, but also as tough as a space marine.

I will be using this guy from Mantic as the datasmith woth the Kastellan robots. He'll be my next model to paint.

Master Twig fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 30, 2015

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Master Twig posted:

I was satisfied with it until I took a picture and saw it in richer detail. It's decent but I can definitely see some parts of it I need to improve.

Camera flash is probably throwing you off a lot here. A blown up photo with a really harsh flash will show you every layer of paint and every imperfection that you would otherwise be literally unable to see with the naked eye, even when really scrutinizing it. It's a good guideline for improving yeah, but don't let it get you down either. You can tell there's some good detail work and highlights there and it's just the photo quality being unfair to it.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I kind of want to do a digital camo scheme on some near-future sci fi vehicles I'm painting; something like this.

My issue is A: The vehicles are 6mm and B: I can't even paint straight lines let alone pixel boxes. Is there any trick I could use to generate a similar effect or is the advice just going to have to be paint-based "get good"?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

spectralent posted:

I kind of want to do a digital camo scheme on some near-future sci fi vehicles I'm painting; something like this.

My issue is A: The vehicles are 6mm and B: I can't even paint straight lines let alone pixel boxes. Is there any trick I could use to generate a similar effect or is the advice just going to have to be paint-based "get good"?

For miniatures of vehicles that small, I would use some kind of rubber block that's a square to stamp on to the surface.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

spectralent posted:

There are places who sell digicam stencils but that's really only for Airbrush usage so I don't know how much use you'll get out of those with brushes.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

spectralent posted:

Star Man posted:

For miniatures of vehicles that small, I would use some kind of rubber block that's a square to stamp on to the surface.

get a textured sponge and cut it at an angle so that you get saw-tooth shapes.

I'm not sure if it will be fine enough for you to see the pattern on 6mm, but it's a possibility along these lines.

There's definitely stamps that would have that shape, but I'm not sure they'd work great with paint and on uneven surfaces.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

spectralent posted:

You know the little hard foam squares that come in blister packs for miniatures? They make great stamps for patterns like that on a small scale.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Dirt Worshipper posted:

You know the little hard foam squares that come in blister packs for miniatures? They make great stamps for patterns like that on a small scale.

I'm aware of these but the foam is usually soft and squishy. Unless "hard foam" is just a term of art that doesn't preclude it being fairly pliable.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

There's definitely stamps that would have that shape, but I'm not sure they'd work great with paint and on uneven surfaces.

I've made cuts from rubber blocks for printmaking projects and used acrylic paint with them before, so I believe that it's doable. I just don't know how easy it would be on something like a 6mm tank, but it was the best conclusion I could think of on the spot.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

spectralent posted:

Is there any trick I could use to generate a similar effect
Yes. The trick is "get a 2-3 size brush, cut the tip flat" :v:

No, seriously. gently caress painting tiny pixel camo otherwise.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I finally got my Basius2 pads today and jumped right in to trying to make my first two bases tonight. It was a mixed result, I think. It was my first time trying to use green stuff to any meaningful degree and man, that stuff got all over my xacto knife and thumbnails, which I guess I'll get better at with time. It's a bit humid in Chicago tonight too, so I don't know if that's anything to do with it. I also had a tough time getting the base off the mold; I wet down the area I was aiming for pretty prodigiously but that doesn't really seem to be enough. What's a better option for that? There's also a little bit of green discoloration on the mold from the GS and I'm hoping that can be removed safely somehow/prevented in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

rantmo posted:

I finally got my Basius2 pads today and jumped right in to trying to make my first two bases tonight. It was a mixed result, I think. It was my first time trying to use green stuff to any meaningful degree and man, that stuff got all over my xacto knife and thumbnails, which I guess I'll get better at with time. It's a bit humid in Chicago tonight too, so I don't know if that's anything to do with it. I also had a tough time getting the base off the mold; I wet down the area I was aiming for pretty prodigiously but that doesn't really seem to be enough. What's a better option for that? There's also a little bit of green discoloration on the mold from the GS and I'm hoping that can be removed safely somehow/prevented in the future.

Astroglide.

No really