Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Next on As the Plane Turns: Urza comes back in Liliana's body, Jace has confusing feelings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Mono-White Walkers as of the latest expansion

Ajani
Gideon
Elspeth (Deceased)
Nahiri

Mono-Blue Walkers as of the latest expansion

Jace
Tamiyo
Teferi

Mono-Black Walkers as of the latest expansion

Liliana

Mono-Red Walkers as of the latest expansion

Tibalt
Daretti
Chandra
Koth

Mono-Green Walkers as of the latest Expansion

Nissa
Freyalise

Formerly Mono-Walkers (Did not have to originally be Mono)

Sarkhan (Now GUR)
Sorin (Now White/Black)
Garruk (Now Green/Black)
Ob Nixillis (Now no longer a walker due to Zendikar)
Tezzeret (Blue/Black)

Onmi fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 30, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Wasn't Tezzeret UB in his last incarnation?

And Ajani is all over the place color-wise.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Onmi posted:

Ajani
Gideon
Elspeth (Deceased)
Nahiri

Jace
Tamiyo
Tezzeret (Deceased?)
Teferi

Liliana

Tibalt
Daretti
Chandra
Koth

Nissa
Freyalise

Former Mono-Walkers

Sarkhan (Now GUR)
Sorin (Now White/Black)
Garruk (Now Green/Black)

Sarkhan was RG and RB before he was mono red or RUG

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Entropic posted:

Wasn't Tezzeret UB in his last incarnation?

And Ajani is all over the place color-wise.

Is he? You're right, Agent of Bolas.
Ajani IS all over the place but his last card was Ajani Steadfast who was Mono-White. I'm wondering when he's just going to be released as a Naya-Walker

Just Formerly Mono-Walkers, not "Was mono and then became not"

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

A planeswalker's card isn't necessarily indicative of his or her overall colors but just the strategies that card is employing (and the person's mood too, I suppose). If Ajani ever gets really pissed off again, he'll probably be red, as it is, he's too chill old guy Obi Wan to do that.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Raven man is Leshrac, back to gently caress up Nicol Bolas

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

C-Euro posted:

They can't kill Lili because then there are no mono-black Planeswalkers, unless they've decided it's Ob Nixilis' time to shine :black101: And since we're going back to Zendikar, maybe it is!

I think Raven man will show up as the mono-black walker. Maybe U/B but we don't know much about him yet to be sure.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

It'd be great if we get a reveal for why the Raven Man does what he does and it just turns out that he enjoys being a dick. That's pretty black.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
So, uh, is DTK/FRF 8-4 just not an option now on MODO? I can't stand drafting Origins.

I remember playing Theros block 8-4s well into the next set. Is this a new policy?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:siren: DO NOT GIVE MODO MONEY :siren:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Chill la Chill posted:

Chill la Chill posted:

Chill la Chill posted:

Chill la Chill posted:

Chill la Chill posted:

Serious, why the gently caress are people still doing this.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Wurzag posted:

That would own

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Chill la Chill posted:

You're not wrong but some of us have limited options. Don't be a weirdo if someone wants to play modo, they will either do a few drafts and find it dumb and broken or not.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Literally have used MODO for 2 years (only the beta client) and had no problems whatsoever playing casual constructed.

Not sure what ya'll'z deal is

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Wurzag posted:

I will accept this too, really I just like it when we get callbacks and returns to the older story beats of Magic. My first period of playing Magic was from Tempest block through Mirrodin 1, so pretty much the entirety of Urza & The Gang's story. I'm bummed that I missed TSP and SOM blocks.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I would have to drive over 3 hours to draft.

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

tirinal posted:

So, uh, is DTK/FRF 8-4 just not an option now on MODO? I can't stand drafting Origins.

I remember playing Theros block 8-4s well into the next set. Is this a new policy?

Yeah, they changed it so there's only one draft queue for each old set when they introduced 6-2-2-2s, to make sure the queues actually fire at a reasonable rate. Given that the time between queue starts for DTK/FRF is around half an hour at this moment, it seems reasonable.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Apparently read the bones can't scry cards to the bottom currently :allears:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Literally have used MODO for 2 years (only the beta client) and had no problems whatsoever playing casual constructed.

Not sure what ya'll'z deal is

I've been using MODO since 2003, and despite the poo poo design of the product, I've never had any major issues. Spergs gonna sperg.

GreyPowerVan posted:

I would have to drive over 3 hours to draft.

same, my LGS is a piece of poo poo and barely big enough to sustain a draft pod on friday nights. Also the owner is a shitlord and I'd rather not support him.

whateverfor posted:

Yeah, they changed it so there's only one draft queue for each old set when they introduced 6-2-2-2s, to make sure the queues actually fire at a reasonable rate. Given that the time between queue starts for DTK/FRF is around half an hour at this moment, it seems reasonable.

Also this, sitting around waiting for old formats to fire (yes, even DTK) is no fun.

my only real gripe with MODO is that they don't offer cubing or custom cubes 24/7/365

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Skyl3lazer posted:

Apparently read the bones can't scry cards to the bottom currently :allears:

How does this poo poo even happen, I mean the card is a reprint and it worked fine before.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

How does this poo poo even happen, I mean the card is a reprint and it worked fine before.

From what I can tell, they probably individually code each edition of each card.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Wurzag posted:

I am so down with this, also down with Yawg coming back since there's apparently a fragment of him floating around somewhere (or was when Karona contacted him).

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

I am so down with this, also down with Yawg coming back since there's apparently a fragment of him floating around somewhere (or was when Karona contacted him).

I would also be cool with Raven man being Yawgmoth. Just bring back one of them, if it is Yawgmoth, I would be interested in how he is transversing planes, since his whole thing is that no matter how powerful he became, he couldn't become a planeswalker.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PleasantDirge posted:

You're not wrong but some of us have limited options. Don't be a weirdo if someone wants to play modo, they will either do a few drafts and find it dumb and broken or not.

play with people on here, we host tournaments all the time and there's an IRC for people who want to play you dumb goober

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

tirinal posted:

Any older draft format is only 6-2-2-2 now. The reason why is pretty simple: older draft formats don't fire, so they consolidated them into the 6-2-2-2 so that you can actually play them.

The reason people don't like MODO is because the interface is bare-bones as gently caress. But when you play it a lot you'd realize why this is a good thing - you just get used to the way it is and you don't really need all the extra poo poo. I don't even play with animations on. The biggest thing I can say in MODO's favor is that the rules work properly 99% of the time regardless of obscure card interactions which is one of the hardest things about Magic to get right. Yes, the devs break Brainstorm once in a while, but its not really that common.

The real problem I suspect people have with MODO is that you have to buy all the cards again and it costs real money.

Speaking of MTGO, I'm still baffled there are people who play Sidisi-2 in constructed and don't know that if your opponent hits her with Hero's Downfall, you probably shouldn't just exploit something anyways.

Onmi posted:

Ajani
Gideon
Elspeth (Deceased)
Nahiri

Jace
Tamiyo
Teferi

Liliana

Tibalt
Daretti
Chandra
Koth

Nissa
Freyalise

Formerly Mono-Walkers (Did not have to originally be Mono)

Sarkhan (Now GUR)
Sorin (Now White/Black)
Garruk (Now Green/Black)
Tezzeret (Blue/Black)

Ajani in Lorwyn is later in the timeline than Ajani Vengeant, so he's "originally" RW and Sarkhan's first card was GR. Also, Freyalise is dead and Teferi is alive (and invincible still) but also lost his spark for reasons.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 30, 2015

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Yawgmoth posted:

Yawg coming back since there's apparently a fragment of him floating around somewhere (or was when Karona contacted him).
They did this only he's White now and a lady and he changed his name to Elesh Jenner Norn

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Really digging pucatrade in a big way. I have traded before on the site casually but at this point I am done with the annoying trading in person at the lgs's I attend. Just so much easier to get rid of extra poo poo. I have been selling mostly on tcgplayer but moving stuff is just faster and for slightly more value. It is especially crazy how fast people fill your want list even if they are staples.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Speaking of pucatrade, anyone want a bunch of puca points (for an expensive card)? I've been pinching my pucapoints and now have enough for some pricey things my cube is missing. I'd prefer to do this with a goon and some of these cards get traded so rarely.

Cards I need are:
Blue duals
Bayou
Mana crypt
Eureka
Imperial recruiter
Gaea's cradle

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ramos posted:

From what I can tell, they probably individually code each edition of each card.

So does Theros Read the Bones still work properly but Origins one doesn't?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ramos posted:

Okay, I can understand why you'd want cardID1000000 to be a different game object than cardID500000, but why the hell can't they copy paste the code? They're devs, they don't have to reverse eng-

Actually, it's MODO, I wouldn't be surprised if the code was unable to be accessed, or something like that.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Serperoth posted:

Okay, I can understand why you'd want cardID1000000 to be a different game object than cardID500000, but why the hell can't they copy paste the code? They're devs, they don't have to reverse eng-

Actually, it's MODO, I wouldn't be surprised if the code was unable to be accessed, or something like that.

MODO is written in WOTC's own proprietary write-only dialect of C#.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Serperoth posted:

Eh, copy and paste, didn't get the last part of scry, intend to get that last bit later, forget about it, leave it to an intern.

Entropic posted:

So does Theros Read the Bones still work properly but Origins one doesn't?

And yeah, this isn't the first time one edition of a card was hosed while another worked.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
copy and pasting code is bad and a sign of bad architecture

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Angry Grimace posted:

The real problem I suspect people have with MODO is that you have to buy all the cards again and it costs real money.

I keep considering getting into modo, but every time I forget about its past offenses, something pops up. Some horrible bug makes a popular deck unplayable. LSV takes a month off when pressing "No" is read as pressing "Yes." Event prices get changed around in a way that is generally worse for players but generally better for income. I went to go help my friend do a cube draft, and cube had gone offline after a week and a half. (The last one led to Dzyl going back to poker, and luckily Bahra_ didn't follow through on his threat to quit when the even changes ended up not being as awful as people were making them out to be)

MODO could be a game that works as well as Hearthstone and looks just a little bit better, but instead it is some horrible pile of code that has problems on a regular basis and has memory bloat to the degree that what is basically a graphical card rotating simulator runs worse than actual real games on my computer (including illegal second party versions of itself).

I will close this with a disclaimer: I do know that Magic Online runs about alright most of the time. I just feel like if I'm going to spend hundreds for DIGITAL collectible cards, the game should work most or all of the time without taxing my computer so much.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I hope nobody was confused about this.

It seems to be if split in a tourney that had an invite or pro points for winning you can't split.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 30, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Entropic posted:

MODO is written in WOTC's own proprietary write-only dialect of C#.

That's the client, I think. I heard somewhere card logic was written in perl.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

cheetah7071 posted:

That's the client, I think. I heard somewhere card logic was written in perl.

Prolog.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Sickening posted:

I hope nobody was confused about this.

It seems to be if split in a tourney that had an invite or pro points for winning you can't split.

I have no idea what this is in reference to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

qbert posted:

I have no idea what this is in reference to.

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/3ewbcx/proper_way_to_propose_a_split_without_fear_of_a_dq/ctjfpw1

It appears a L5 has an opinion that splitting in anything but the finals isn't allowed. It also appears that there is an issue with splitting if there is an invite/points being awarded.

• Locked thread