Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
label the sides 1 2 4 5 6 and then theyll spend forever lookin for side 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

all my 1s

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Silver Alicorn posted:

using a pseudo-random distribution can be good for game balance, here is 6000 words about why the dota PRNG is good:

you have to make game RNGs not actually random because it turns out that people actually hate hate hate true randomness.

this is because people are stupid

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

maybe its because people like to have fun

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
people want to be convinced that the "gambler's fallacy" really isn't

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

make it sense which sides are hidden (facing downwards or obscured by fingers) and change the numbers on those sides while they're hidden

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Migishu posted:

label sides 1, 2, and 4

Suspicious Dish posted:

:cmon:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i dont read ur posts sorry

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

theflyingorc posted:

you have to make game RNGs not actually random because it turns out that people actually hate hate hate true randomness.

valve learned this with tf2 crits

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

theflyingorc posted:

puzzle quest is a loving cheater and there are no words to convince me otherwise

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

JawnV6 posted:

puzzle quest is a loving cheater and there are no words to convince me otherwise

loving this

gently caress you puzzle quest

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
*makes 1 chain*

*CPU makes 50 chains in a row, destroys your character*

"toally 100% legit didn't cheat completely rng we swears"

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
wasn't there an article about someone who reversed engineered the game and found that it was programmed to cheat?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i, too, care about bejeweled

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

computer parts posted:

valve learned this with tf2 crits

every video game company starts with a truly random RNG

then they learn that the only way to make players happy is to lie to them

ANECDOTE:

i worked on a videogame board game where your mans fought and you constantly rolled (your attack + 2d6) VS (their defense)

our players told us that they had noticed that EVERY GAME one player got high die rolls, while the other player got all low ones

i tried to explain that this isn't even a mistake we can make, like we would have to code that on purpose, we just used the c standard library random function

WHOOPS BIG MISTAKE did u know? that function is technically only pseudorandom THEREFORE

edit: any game with microtransactions probably cheats in some way if calculating what is a bad move is fairly trivial. not sure about candy crush only because defining what is a good candy to spawn the player is pretty hard

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
flip the table and scream to generate entropy

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

daft punk railroad posted:

flip the table and scream to generate entropy

hold f to pay respects

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

I'm going to do a Kickstarter and it will be way more popular than yours Ian. It's going to be amazing.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

madeupfred posted:

I'm going to do a Kickstarter and it will be way more popular than yours Ian. It's going to be amazing.
it certainly sounds amazing, i would like to donate a few hundred dollars to your project

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Perception is reality

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

nice 3-sided die, buddy

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

As a Millennial I posted:

nice 3-sided die, buddy

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

t:mad:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

theflyingorc posted:

i tried to explain that this isn't even a mistake we can make, like we would have to code that on purpose, we just used the c standard library random function

WHOOPS BIG MISTAKE did u know? that function is technically only pseudorandom THEREFORE

the c standard library rand() function is a particularly bad choice even as pseudorandom functions go though, it's implementation-defined so you can never know how good it will be and i've seen some platforms where if you do rand() % 2 it will literally just return alternating 0, 1, 0, 1, 0, 1, ...

at least use drand48 or something if you're going to be lazy

of course rand() is fine if you're doing something unimportant like crypto, it'sonly gamnes where you haev to be more careful

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Soricidus posted:

i've seen some platforms where if you do rand() % 2 it will literally just return alternating 0, 1, 0, 1, 0, 1, ...
i have no idea how you would even make something this bad. like - the rand shouldn't have anything to do with the %2 so i can't even understand how you'd do that unless you coded it to do that on purpose

anyway i ran trials of large numbers of 2d6 die rolls and spat out the percentages and they were exactly what we want, also it was seeded at server startup and there was really no way to know how many times it had been called before you got there

and even then it wouldn't do the stupid thing they said we did

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

theflyingorc posted:

i have no idea how you would even make something this bad. like - the rand shouldn't have anything to do with the %2 so i can't even understand how you'd do that unless you coded it to do that on purpose

someone decided to add some extra randomness using modular arithmetic and an internal global counter? after all, what could be more random than the number of times a random number has been generated :downs:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

it happens naturally if you implement rand() using an lcg where the modulus is a power of two (common and reasonable for non-crypto purposes as it's extremely cheap to compute) and you return the full internal state instead of shifting out the least significant bits (this is the dumb bit)

i just wish i could remember which compiler it was that actually implemented rand() that way, i thought it was msvc but looking it up looks like it has different problems

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
why do the hypothetical dice need LCD or OLED displays and not 7 seg displays? Seems like you are overengineering your e-dice since you can get really low profile 7seg displays like this http://www.kingbrightusa.com/Industry-thinnest-ultra-super-thin-SMD-display.asp and put 2 on each face and it would only be slightly bigger than a regular die

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
because thats been done like in the 80s and we want skinnable programmable die faces

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

because thats been done like in the 80s and we want skinnable programmable die faces

you only need one die face

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
i'd buy a die with only one side

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

i'd buy a die with only one side

möbius strip ftw

depending on the save condition of course

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
Pepsi challenge with Windows 10 as facetious as it gets on that last post.

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
Seriously though... I am meant to be taken quite literally.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Ian McLean posted:

Seriously though... I am meant to be taken quite literally.

so are your meds, ian

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i had completely forgotten about this plan

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
mixed signals are in the ethos ether plus bonus status

Ok. I wrote down a list of ideas. And since I can only express my inner thoughts with this worthless kickstarter group, here they are:

underground image detection site for any dating site profile ( look up what kind of ratings this image detection person has)

restaurant app pain point - wanting to pay fast enough ( small logo scanner on menu/restaurant_special_list/table_sticker with tip suggestions on app for payment processing)

reinventing facebook - same concept as facebook originally had with college students (only approved colleges are allowed on this network)

niche marketplace app - tell us your market and we will give you your platform

hotel data app - our hotel partners know your needs

craigslist global app - we are the distributes of craigslist things

healthcare brokerage app - how far can healthcare take you?

gassoline price geolocation app - find the best gasoline price in the nearest location

hunger logistics app - marketplace for good food

rateme - an app to put yourself as whatever you are and obtain a rating from the world

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ian McLean posted:

rateme - an app to put yourself as whatever you are and obtain a rating from the world

it's called awful.app and your rating is :mediocre:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

hobbesmaster posted:

it's called awful.app and your rating is :mediocre:

I suppose it is a start! :)

• Locked thread