Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DaveWoo posted:

I was going to write "what, no Trumpublican?" but no, he trademarked that, too.

But he neglected "Trumpitarian". How's he going to win the young, white, male vote without that?

Oh. Right. Never mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alter Ego posted:

I dunno. I'd argue Teddy Roosevelt and Dwight Eisenhower weren't bad.

Not very good for Latin America in at least one, probably both examples.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Alter Ego posted:

I dunno. I'd argue Teddy Roosevelt and Dwight Eisenhower weren't bad.

Well, as long as you weren't living in Latin America.

e:f,b

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Worked out pretty good for Panama, though.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Cuckaquiddick

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SumYungGui posted:

Employer loyalty? You'd have to be so deep red in your world view you're in infrared territory to have any loyalty to the sociopathic corporate monoliths that will throw you and your family out with used Kleenex the moment it makes them an extra buck. They're probably done loving the Kleenex though, on the way out they'll try to screw you for every dollar they can by doing anything to evade workman's comp and the like up to and including breaking what pitiful labor laws we have if it's profitable to do so.

The whole loyalty thing is just a small part of that piece, which is more about the way we equate work ethic with being a good person. The take away is that a lot of people expect literally nothing beyond a paycheck from their employer, but still feel that it's vitally important that they commit themselves 100% to their work. It's kind of an interesting conclusion when job engagement in the US is comically low.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

VikingofRock posted:

Speaking of thread titles, where did the current fortune cookie thing come from? I must have missed it last month.
In his dissent to the Obergfel decision, Scalia compared the writing style of Kennedy's opening paragraphs to "the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

The whole loyalty thing is just a small part of that piece, which is more about the way we equate work ethic with being a good person. The take away is that a lot of people expect literally nothing beyond a paycheck from their employer, but still feel that it's vitally important that they commit themselves 100% to their work. It's kind of an interesting conclusion when job engagement in the US is comically low.

I think about all the things that adult Americans do every day that they hate. Everyone in the whole world hates hates getting up after too little sleep, rushing through the morning, sitting in traffic for an hour, going to a job they hate for nine hours, sitting in traffic for an hour on the way home for too little pay, lovely benefits and no little time off. We all hate it we all want something better, but for some reason millions and millions of people do the same thing and we don't change it for some reason.

If you complain you are called lazy and everyone pretends like they love or at least can stand the grueling dystopic economic reality we live in.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Paradoxish posted:

But how does that gel with this: http://www.gallup.com/poll/181289/majority-employees-not-engaged-despite-gains-2014.aspx

I think it's all about appearing to give 200% at all times, while realizing you're getting hosed and actually delivering the absolute minimum. Which means the American workforce is finally starting to wise up ala the TPS thread in BFC.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
USPOL August: Boner and the Cock Brothers

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If Trump actually gets really far in the nomination process, do you think we'll see Koch 2020?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
California senator who fought to make vaccines mandatory faces recall efforts

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If the Koch's wanted to run for office they'd have done it before now.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Chantilly Say posted:

Cuckaquiddick

:golfclap:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Yeah I just thought that through, why would they run for a less powerful office than the one they already hold.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Its pretty clear they're more into pulling the strings than being the puppet.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

"Do you know how much power I'd have to give up to be president?" - Lex Luthor

Though actually if it turned out that Trump spent $75 million on a fake presidential campaign all to tick Bernie Sanders off, and admitted this while beating the crap out of Ted Cruz, it would be pretty awesome

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Fried Chicken posted:

"Do you know how much power I'd have to give up to be president?" - Lex Luthor

Hey, how dare you compare a egomaniac mastermind to Lex Luthor!:argh:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

quote:

Aaron Mills, a volunteer leader of the recall effort in Sacramento, said his group is “just getting started”, but says he is fighting to oust Pan because he is concerned that SB277 is a “bad precedent” that could lead to other medical mandates.

“I just want to make my own decisions for my family,” he said. “I’m just tired of politics as usual catering to special interest groups instead of the constitutional rights of the people who elect them.”

:psypop: :psypop: :psypop:

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Trabisnikof posted:

Its pretty clear they're more into pulling the strings than being the puppet.

Not too far a stretch to say we're all being Kocholded. And not the good kind like you want.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Radbot posted:

But how does that gel with this: http://www.gallup.com/poll/181289/majority-employees-not-engaged-despite-gains-2014.aspx

I think it's all about appearing to give 200% at all times, while realizing you're getting hosed and actually delivering the absolute minimum. Which means the American workforce is finally starting to wise up ala the TPS thread in BFC.

The old engineering phrase is "if the minimum isn't actually acceptable then it really isn't the minimum now, is it?"

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

zoux posted:

David Koch ran third party on the Libertarian Party ticket in 1980 as the vice presidential nominee. Once that failed he decided that being a politician was stupid anyway, and just decided to use his wealth to make the GOP come to him.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

quote:

Aaron Mills, a volunteer leader of the recall effort in Sacramento, said his group is “just getting started”, but says he is fighting to oust Pan because he is concerned that SB277 is a “bad precedent” that could lead to other medical mandates.

“I just want to make my own decisions for my family,” he said. “I’m just tired of politics as usual catering to special interest groups instead of the constitutional rights of the people who elect them.”
The basic legal argument is sound; to my knowledge the Constitution doesn't lay out much about disease control, unless you want to argue it as 'providing for the common defense'. And it is a little odd, from an outside standpoint, that most/all of us are so hugely distrustful of big companies, and know the way they manipulate money and public fears to do horrible things, yet we're all suddenly on board when they sell the fear of infectious disease. It's entirely believable that a company making vaccines would have an incentive to make vaccines for anything and everything required, and they only make more money by going cheap on making them.

Not saying anti-vaxx is right, or that the guy isn't an idiot... but I can see the law being struck down. It's not that I necessarily trust everyone who ever made a vaccine, it's rather that I think there's a gap in public education as to how infectious disease used to literally wipe out civilizations. We just can't risk it, even if we don't trust the people making them.

Coldbird fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 30, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Coldbird posted:

The basic legal argument is sound; to my knowledge the Constitution doesn't lay out much about disease control, unless you want to argue it as 'providing for the common defense'. And it is a little odd, from an outside standpoint, that most/all of us are so hugely distrustful of big companies, and know the way they manipulate money and public fears to do horrible things, yet we're all suddenly on board when they sell the fear of infectious disease. It's entirely believable that a company making vaccines would have an incentive to make vaccines for anything and everything required, and they only make more money by going cheap on making them.

Not saying anti-vaxx is right, or that the guy isn't an idiot... but I can see the law being struck down.

This country has had a long legal history of the State being able to do basically anything to prevent epidemics.

Specifically: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobson_v._Massachusetts

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

I hope everyone that tries to recall him have kids that get a horrible and debilitating disease that is preventable with a vaccine.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Hundreds of years and "a pox upon your children" still works. People never really change, do they?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Coldbird posted:

Actually it is not considering all these medical conspiracy theories haven't a shred of evidence behind them.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

A Winner is Jew posted:

I hope everyone that tries to recall him have kids that get a horrible and debilitating disease that is preventable with a vaccine.
Why? It'd just be a source of pride to them.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

tsa posted:

Actually it is not considering all these medical conspiracy theories haven't a shred of evidence behind them.

The thing that's really hilarious about that particular conspiracy is that the government basically has to force (and subsidize) the pharmaceutical companies to produce these vaccines because they're so unprofitable.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

tsa posted:

I didn't mean any of the particular theories out there right now, only that it is generally feasible and it is something to keep in the back of one's mind if and when they're in a position to approve mandatory vaccinations. I don't think it's happening now though.

I guess one could argue that it's unlikely there would be a huge incentive in vaccines in the first place, simply because treating a contracted disease will invariably be a far larger profit center than a vaccine which likely won't be over $100 even without insurance, but I'm not a huge expert on the division of labor in medical science.

Trabisnikof posted:

This country has had a long legal history of the State being able to do basically anything to prevent epidemics.

Specifically: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobson_v._Massachusetts
Okay, didn't know about this, thanks bottom of the barrel poli sci degree

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "The Munich deal would have made sense if Hitler just wanted German-speaking people under the German umbrella." ~ Lindsey Graham

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "The Munich deal would have made sense if Hitler just wanted German-speaking people under the German umbrella." ~ Lindsey Graham

loll the sudetenland nooo

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

tsa posted:

And then of course both the CDC and FDA monitor and regulate the everliving gently caress out of vaccines to ensure they're safe for kids in addition to the government giving pharmaceutical companies money to actually produce those vaccines.

Like I said, I really hope every vaxxer in the world gets their kids horrific but easily vaccinated diseases.

Unfortunately, it does work that way and instead these assholes end up killing 10 kids by being pieces of poo poo parents.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Amergin posted:

USPol August: Polls Show the Rapist In the Lead

USPol August: No you see Trump poaches the GOP to save it!

I dunno I got nothin'.

Maybe
USPol August: Cuckoo for Cuckservatives?

EDIT: Oooh ooh!

USPol August: Trump poaches the white RINOs to save them!

USPol August: Big D gets Kochblocked.

Maybe that would be better for the primary thread though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Winner is Jew posted:

And then of course both the CDC and FDA monitor and regulate the everliving gently caress out of vaccines to ensure they're safe for kids in addition to the government giving pharmaceutical companies money to actually produce those vaccines.

Given that the FDA regulates and monitors GMO food I don't think that's much of a comfort to them.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

Given that the FDA regulates and monitors GMO food I don't think that's much of a comfort to them.

The GMO people are just as dumb, only not literally guilty of third degree manslaughter.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011
What's the likelihood of Planned Parenthood getting a federal investigation? What evidence would there need to be for enough probable cause to arise?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

And just the other day, Graham was criticizing Huckabee for his "door to the oven" remarks.

So I guess Holocaust references are bad, but Hitler references are somehow okay? :shrug:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Not an Owl posted:

What's the likelihood of Planned Parenthood getting a federal investigation? What evidence would there need to be for enough probable cause to arise?

Define "federal investigation" do you mean by the executive or by the legislature?

I'm sure someone will open an investigation from the executive for cya purposes. Demand PP prove they have their forms etc.

The congressional investigation will have only whatever limits Republicans want to put on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

DaveWoo posted:

And just the other day, Graham was criticizing Huckabee for his "door to the oven" remarks.

So I guess Holocaust references are bad, but Hitler references are somehow okay? :shrug:

Nah he actually went there too

quote:

"The Munich deal would have made sense if Hitler just wanted German-speaking people under the German umbrella. Munich partitioning Czechoslovakia, and giving him more power and reenforcing his belief that the West was weak, was a terrible deal. He in fact, wanted to kill the Jews and have a master race," Graham told the Newsmax host. "This is a bad deal because the Ayatollah gets more money and more weapons and a clearer path to the bomb. Here’s what the deal does: It gives him a bomb, a missile to deliver and the money to pay for it. What would he do with a missile and the bomb? Does he feel compelled by his religion to attack Israel and destroy democracies like ours? I say yes."
It's pretty much exactly what Huckabee said except with more :words:

• Locked thread