Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Unzip and Attack posted:

I was piloting the default American cruiser and firing against the American cruiser that's one level up from the default, at almost point blank broadside for both ships. He must have had his weapons disabled because he only shot at me once while I had time to switch to AP and fire 3 whole volleys before some torps took him out.

Ever since open beta hit it has been hard to get citadel hit at extreme close range. I seem to lose the ability at <2 km during most engagements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hagop posted:

Ever since open beta hit it has been hard to get citadel hit at extreme close range. I seem to lose the ability at about at <2 km during most engagements.

I think it's because you need to hit below the magazine or into the engine rooms, which is actually hard to do in close because the guns won't depress far enough.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

Yeah, its unfortunate, but the Tenryuu doesn't hold a candle to the St. Louis.

I actually prefer the Tenryuu to the St. Louis. At least the Tenryuu's more fun to play in my opinion. You go fast, punch relatively hard and have nice torpedoes. The St. Louis by comparison is just a matter of pressing W three times and holding your left mouse button. It's slow, it turns even slower, and it only does one thing well. It's just... a boring ship.

A very forgiving ship, mind you; well-armored, good amount of hitpoints, definitely a good pick for new players, but just so unbelievably monotone.

OSad fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 30, 2015

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

OSad posted:

The St. Louis by comparison is just a matter of pressing W three times and holding your left mouse button. It's slow, it turns even slower, and it only does one thing well.

The St. Louis is the Churchill III of WoWS.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Night10194 posted:

It's also nice to have additional vindication that the Myogi is an even bigger pile of poo poo than the Kawachi.

If you're going off of win rate, that says the Kawachi is the best BB Japan has. You might want to reconsider.

The St. Louis isn't the Churchill 3, the St. Louis can kill anything at its tier, the Churchill struggled even with gold ammo on some heavies.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If you're going off of win rate, that says the Kawachi is the best BB Japan has. You might want to reconsider.

The St. Louis isn't the Churchill 3, the St. Louis can kill anything at its tier, the Churchill struggled even with gold ammo on some heavies.

I'm going off damage done and ships killed. The Myogi seems to contribute less to each fight than any other Japanese BB.

And the Kawachi's problems were mainly speed and range. When up against relatively new players at low tiers and when they're driving slow stuff like St. Louises, it does pretty okay. I hated it when I had it compared to the SC, but that was before I had a Myogi to learn what Bad Ship really means.

I do not look forward to the Furutaka.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I'm going off damage done and ships killed. The Myogi seems to contribute less to each fight than any other Japanese BB.

And the Kawachi's problems were mainly speed and range. When up against relatively new players at low tiers and when they're driving slow stuff like St. Louises, it does pretty okay. I hated it when I had it compared to the SC, but that was before I had a Myogi to learn what Bad Ship really means.

I do not look forward to the Furutaka.

The Kawachi sucks because it has no range but once you get into range it can pummel things pretty well. The Myogi has enormous range but cannot hit anything at any range and often gets put up against carriers while having absolutely no AA until it's last hull upgrade.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I've been playing for about 32 days now, and have the Ranger. How long will it take to get Midway if I'm playing approximately 15 hours a week? I saw in the stat study there were only 5 players in NA that have it?

Edit: I have premium.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 30, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Michaellaneous posted:

Oh hey haha RIP the loving code is only valid for EU accounts.
gently caress you wargaming.

I'd take pictures of the invoice and kit and contact US support. All they can say is 'no.' vOv

boxen posted:

The St. Louis is the Churchill III of WoWS.

For now. The St. Louis is more like the *free* Churchill III of WoWS...until they come up with a new T3 and sell the St. Louis as a premium.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Panfilo posted:

I've been playing for about 32 days now, and have the Ranger. How long will it take to get Midway if I'm playing approximately 15 hours a week? I saw in the stat study there were only 5 players in NA that have it?

I don't think its the hours as such that are stopping people getting it, it's your tolerance for carrier matchmaking bullshit. Personally mine ran out at the Bogue, but if you have made it to the Ranger maybe you can go all the way.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Panfilo posted:

You'll probably get to it by the end of next month or a little into the start of next month after if you continue to play religiously for a couple of hours a day. There's probably only 5 people with Midways on the server because the Hakuryu can field eight squadrons at once while the Midway can field a piddling five, and with only three of those being fighter squadrons, it's probably a loving nightmare to keep the Hakuryu's seven bomber squadrons in check. So people opt to get the carrier with the most destructive potential instead, which is the Japanese one instead of the American one.

There's also the whole argument that if you're running a fighter-intensive loadout to try and cockblock the other carrier from doing anything, then all you've really done is given yourself a handicap in terms of doing actual damage to the enemy team. This again happens to be one of the Midway's choices, which gets three fighters but no torpedo bombers for some reason. And if you opt for the other choice, then you've just given yourself a single fighter squadron for self-defense, and four bomber squadrons, which just can't keep up with the Hakuryu's loadouts.

(Probably. I don't play carriers so I don't actually know.)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Pharnakes posted:

I don't think its the hours as such that are stopping people getting it, it's your tolerance for carrier matchmaking bullshit. Personally mine ran out at the Bogue, but if you have made it to the Ranger maybe you can go all the way.

It is rough, but there are a few things motivating me:

Every other tier improves your default Mod1 flight control. Langley and Bogue have 1/1/0, Independence and Ranger have 1/1/1, Lexington and Essex have 2/1/1, and the Midway has 2/1/2.

Once clear of the Bogue US carriers are much faster, ~30kts which means you aren't getting left in the dust anymore by your team. I've heard many people give up at Bogue because quite fairly they don't feel like it is much of an improvement over the Langley. However Ranger is the real low point on tier comparison because the Hiryu is just unfairly superior, but at tier 8+ US starts to catch up. The US carriers also overall get better AA which is significant since you're much more likely to be attacked by an IJN carrier trying to use weight of numbers to overwhelm you.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

OSad posted:

You'll probably get to it by the end of next month or a little into the start of next month after if you continue to play religiously for a couple of hours a day. There's probably only 5 people with Midways on the server because the Hakuryu can field eight squadrons at once while the Midway can field a piddling five, and with only three of those being fighter squadrons, it's probably a loving nightmare to keep the Hakuryu's seven bomber squadrons in check. So people opt to get the carrier with the most destructive potential instead, which is the Japanese one instead of the American one.

There's also the whole argument that if you're running a fighter-intensive loadout to try and cockblock the other carrier from doing anything, then all you've really done is given yourself a handicap in terms of doing actual damage to the enemy team. This again happens to be one of the Midway's choices, which gets three fighters but no torpedo bombers for some reason. And if you opt for the other choice, then you've just given yourself a single fighter squadron for self-defense, and four bomber squadrons, which just can't keep up with the Hakuryu's loadouts.

(Probably. I don't play carriers so I don't actually know.)

One of the weird things about the Hkuryu is that it's fighter loadout just gives it an extra fighter squadron with no tradeoff whatsoever :psyduck:

It seems like the developers were really scared of giving the US too many 6 plane torpedo bomber squadrons. I really wish dive bombers were more consistent, because then it wouldn't be an issue.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
At least on paper Hakuryu has a better fighter heavy loadout than Midway. It's not that important because fighter heavy load outs sacrifice the ability to deal damage in favor of possibly making life difficult for an enemy bomber heavy carrier. Hakuryu does have more damage dealing ability when in its fighter heavy loadout though.

Samples are tiny and there's almost surely selection bias, but the US carriers do catch up with Japan in damage per game at tier 9.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
uh no the st. Louis is the KV-1S of ships. Far too good at it's one trick and far too easy to play.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
loving Wargaming man. The grind is unreal.

5 kills. Lion's share of damage each time, if I didn't solo them. 1 assist. 30 points cleared off of a cap zone. Victory.

2,112 experience for my Omaha.

That's loving it?! I had forgotten how awful the crawl was for Wargaming games. :negative:

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
I'm trying my best not to rage out, but match after match being focused by tier 9 and 8 cvs, while people constantly spout "you cant dodge, get gud, etc" after i take two hits per torp runs is really driving me up the wall. I think this game has given me an anger problem... advice? /rage :suicide:
Edit- In a North Carolina btw, and i kill alot of planes, but there is always more at that tier, i wonder how long before i get chat banned.

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 31, 2015

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Michi88 posted:

I'm trying my best not to rage out, but match after match being focused by tier 9 and 8 cvs, while people constantly spout "you cant dodge, get gud, etc" after i take two hits per torp runs is really driving me up the wall. I think this game has given me an anger problem... advice? /rage :suicide:
Edit- In a North Carolina btw, and i kill alot of planes, but there is always more at that tier, i wonder how long before i get chat banned.

Drive CAs and DDs problem solved.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Michi88 posted:

There's not really anything you can do, unfortunately. Even with 20 seconds of rudder shift time, battleships are so big that unless you have a cruiser near you with the flak ability popped, if the planes get four or three torps off, you're going to eat one every time the carrier driver feels like feeding you one. God forbid if the carrier driver knows how to group all his planes together and do one of those overlapped drops, in which case you'll eat at least two or three.

You can get the mod that increases your effective AA range, but yeah, that helps diddly squat in the long run when carriers in this tier range have 50-100 planes (and the bloody planes can spot for themselves and have no operational limit :argh:). It's easy to say, "Oh, you can see the torp bombers coming! Just start turning their way!", but often that only softens the blow on battleships, which can't dodge the drops completely.

This game would be so much more perfect if it were actually a perfect trifecta of classes, destroyers -> battleships -> cruisers, instead you have this weird fourth class that can dumpster on BB's and give the other two trouble. Sky cancer, remove carriers from the game, :emo:, etc etc. I'd much rather have their take on submarines than carriers, frankly.

OSad fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 31, 2015

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Unzip and Attack posted:

Are citadel hits randomly generated or is there actual hit detection? Brand new to this game so forgive my ignorance, but in my first game I shot a cruiser right in the citadel with several AP shots at very close range and didn't get any big crits.

Be aware that the citadel is actually the engine rooms/magazines below decks and not the control tower. That confused me at first.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Michi88 posted:

Next time we go out I'll bring premium AA ability I guess.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

OSad posted:

This game would be so much more perfect if it were actually a perfect trifecta of classes, destroyers -> battleships -> cruisers, instead you have this weird fourth class that can dumpster on BB's and give the other two trouble. Sky cancer, remove carriers from the game, :emo:, etc etc. I'd much rather have their take on submarines than carriers, frankly.

Carriers aren't even exciting to play. They're a lot of fun to slip up to and stab in the dick in a DD, though, when they hide all the way at the back, predictably, with no backup.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

wdarkk posted:

Next time we go out I'll bring premium AA ability I guess.

I kept going after you had to leave and it was just shitshow after shitshow, taiho after taiho making me an exp pinata. Even when we had a lexi, and i begged almost for fighter cover, they never do.
One match i had something along the lines of 49-50something planes kills, and still died about 5min in.

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 31, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

OSad posted:

I sometimes wonder what it would be like if the non-carrier playerbase came to an understanding and banded together against sky cancer. At the start of every game, it would be the sacred duty of the closest destroyer or cruiser with torpedoes to dunk their team's carriers.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
what's that minekaze? My cruisers and destroyers are dead or on the other side of the map and It's midgame? I need to be able to potentially dodge a spread of torps worth 45k of torpedoes every thirty seconds literally at all times? Mid tier jap DDs are probably the only lower skill-floor thing than carriers in the game, and one single spread hitting is enough to earn their keep in a game. Torps either need a longer cooldown, to be spotted sooner, or to be consumable.

yaay fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 31, 2015

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

grrarg posted:

I sometimes wonder what it would be like if the non-carrier playerbase came to an understanding and banded together against sky cancer. At the start of every game, it would be the sacred duty of the closest destroyer or cruiser with torpedoes to dunk their team's carriers.

Bans, probably, unfortunately. :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

grrarg posted:

The entire reason I play DDs is to slip past and dickstab skycancer. Well, and BBs. And because it's like playing a stealth game. But seriously, the number of times I've gotten multiple Langelys or Hoshos in a DD is great and hopefully it discourages them playing CVs.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

Night10194 posted:

The entire reason I play DDs is to slip past and dickstab skycancer. Well, and BBs. And because it's like playing a stealth game. But seriously, the number of times I've gotten multiple Langelys or Hoshos in a DD is great and hopefully it discourages them playing CVs.

I've taken to loving the Hotspot map, sniping carriers at the start of match is wonderful.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Night10194 posted:

That's the sad thing about American DDs. Your short range makes it difficult to dickstab BBs and carriers. You might be able to get one or two carriers, but if their team is anywhere near you, you will probably die in the process, successful or not.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Night10194 posted:

Dunking stupid newbie Langleys, Hoshos, and Bogues that sit in one place with a tier 5 or less is great fun. Chasing an Independence running directly away at 32 knots, not so much.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Artificer posted:

That's the sad thing about American DDs. Your short range makes it difficult to dickstab BBs and carriers. You might be able to get one or two carriers, but if their team is anywhere near you, you will probably die in the process, successful or not.

At the same time, the Clemson is the best thing I've ever played for dunking on other DDs. Those double guns are laser accurate for Destroyer Thunderdome.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Night10194 posted:

At the same time, the Clemson is the best thing I've ever played for dunking on other DDs. Those double guns are laser accurate for Destroyer Thunderdome.

Yeah, the American DDs are good at Destroyer Thunderdome. But they aren't so good at attacking any other ships. And Destroyer Thunderdome in sight of enemy cruisers or even Battleships will also just get you mauled. :(

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

yaay posted:

what's that minekaze? My cruisers and destroyers are dead or on the other side of the map and It's midgame? I need to be able to potentially dodge two spreads of torps worth 45k of torpedoes every thirty seconds literally at all times? Mid tier jap DDs are probably the only lower skill-floor thing than carriers in the game, and one single spread hitting is enough to earn their keep in a game. Torps either need a longer cooldown, to be spotted sooner, or to be consumable.

Hey speaking of that.

Replay link.

I call it "The Seal Clubbing is real."

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Only carrier in the game as an independence, this will be easy points, right? Well apparently it takes about 7 or so seconds for a pensacola to melt all of your planes. So I launched my second squad and did a run on a colorado who was totally unsupported. Two bombers survived long enough to drop before they died meaning now I'm totally useless. gently caress US carriers.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

ranbo das posted:

. gently caress carriers.

ftfy

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

yaay posted:

what's that minekaze? My cruisers and destroyers are dead or on the other side of the map and It's midgame? I need to be able to potentially dodge a spread of torps worth 45k of torpedoes every thirty seconds literally at all times? Mid tier jap DDs are probably the only lower skill-floor thing than carriers in the game, and one single spread hitting is enough to earn their keep in a game. Torps either need a longer cooldown, to be spotted sooner, or to be consumable.

They make it a real treat to level low tier BBs, that's for sure.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
Had a great Murmansk game, thought i'd share. I drove at the enemy with no brakes the entire game, also a cool shot in the sims. If i could make replays work i would share it.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Artificer posted:

Yeah, the American DDs are good at Destroyer Thunderdome. But they aren't so good at attacking any other ships. And Destroyer Thunderdome in sight of enemy cruisers or even Battleships will also just get you mauled. :(

Unfortunately destroyer killing isn't a very useful role when destroyers are as weak as they (mostly) are. Nobody would say the Sims isn't great at destroyer fights, but in the overall statistics it's a contender for worst ship in the game, and among good players it does worse than all the usual suspects.
The US destroyers are fine at low tiers where they can do non suicidal torpedo runs and sink ships other than weak destroyers, but :drat: do they fall off.

edit:

ranbo das posted:

Only carrier in the game as an independence, this will be easy points, right? Well apparently it takes about 7 or so seconds for a pensacola to melt all of your planes. So I launched my second squad and did a run on a colorado who was totally unsupported. Two bombers survived long enough to drop before they died meaning now I'm totally useless. gently caress US carriers.
The US carriers are shockingly bad, at least until tier 8 or 9. It's probably not worth playing them right now.
The air superiority gimmick isn't good for much, because you're bringing a ship that can't damage enemies in the hope that (a) the enemy team will bring an attack loadout carrier and (b) you'll shoot down that carrier's planes so effectively that it does no more damage than your single bomber squadron.
Even if all that works out, the US carrier's team has to win the game with minimal help from the carrier.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 31, 2015

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010

That is to say, if I discover that I'm racking up kills, that usually means that everyone else is dead and we're about to lose. This has happened to me half a dozen times today; I'm spending a lot of time in the green half of that diagram. :negative:
The Bogue is probably the first chance you'll get to be a real rear end in a top hat to other Sky Cancers, because then you can take a full fighter loadout of the awesome low-tier American fighters (which beat the pants off Japanese fighters at the same tier). This is often a mixed blessing, but generally more good than bad; that Bogue decided the match by going with an anti-air loadout, which trashed all my planes towards the end and left me sailing around a giant paperweight. I generally agree that Sky Cancer isn't that much fun to play (I play them when I've finished my first-wins of the day on all my BBs, CAs, premiums and such.) They're kind of relaxing, but they rarely result in overwhelmingly good games, and it's taken me ten days to progress merely from the Hosho and Langley to the basic Bogue and Zuiho. Either I do great and my team dies and we lose and I get 1000 xp, or I don't get to do anything because the team steamrolls the opposition in the time it takes me to reload my bombers and we win and I get 1000 XP.

Strategies to piss off manual drop Sky Cancers, at least at tier IV and V: Turn your goddamn ships. Seriously, just start driving in circles. Let's say I'm manual-dropping, and I want to change the drop. It looks like this.

If the planes are inside that gray circle, and you change their drop point, then they have to go back out to the edge, (where that arrow icon is) dick around a bit, and come in again to restart their run. If a ship is turning, that means that I really can't drop a torpedo salvo into your side anymore, I have to change the angle if I want to hit you. That means flying back out and doing another alt-drop from a different radian. With lower tier torp bombers, they fly slowly and that takes (relatively speaking) a long time. If you try and finagle that so that the green drop track is close to the target (and you can keep changing the drop for longer to compensate for maneuvers), the torpedos rarely arm properly. Pro-click Sky Cancer drivers know the balance very well, so much so that it's second nature and they can get the most out of their torps. Also, higher tier planes move faster, and give you less time between the circle and the drop track, so the bombers are on top of you quicker.

I think a big nerf to Sky Cancer would be to make the gray starting-run circle bigger. As in, more distance between the grey circle (the minimum distance to start the run) and the torpedo run track (where it turns yellow and you're committed to the drop). It would mean that planes would have to linger for a lot longer to reset or adjust a run, and a carrier driver would have to commit to a drop much earlier and give a BB or CA time to maneuver. Also, cruisers interdicting around BBs will make me choose a different path for my planes because flying through them, especially with low-tier Japanese carriers that can't spare the dead planes or air-loadout American carriers with only one damage wing, is suicidally expensive. Upping the XP bonus from air kills would go a long way towards defusing Sky Cancer's hold on people. I am seeing it more and more that cruisers will shadow BBs, at least in the early game, and make my life very difficult that way. But, in the late game, BBs are highly vulnerable to torps because their escorts tend to be dead.

Anyway, if the stars align, Sky Cancer can be rewarding (the centre of that venn diagram). But not especially so over driving anything else.

Meanwhile, the Omaha continues to be a consistently excellent moneymaker. I routinely get games like this in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Sneaky Kettle posted:

I think a big nerf to Sky Cancer would be to make the gray starting-run circle bigger. As in, more distance between the grey circle (the minimum distance to start the run) and the torpedo run track (where it turns yellow and you're committed to the drop). It would mean that planes would have to linger for a lot longer to reset or adjust a run, and a carrier driver would have to commit to a drop much earlier and give a BB or CA time to maneuver.
I brought this up the last time someone suggested this, but they actually did this during the final CBT patch and it sucked rear end to play with. I honestly think that a better solution to prevent bombers just circling you from 1-1.5km out until they get a good shot on you would be to buff the damage on all the close-range AA guns so the CV player has to either circle from further away and give you more time or eat the losses to their bomber squadrons.