Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I remember in high school there were ROTC kids who would recite the drill sergeant lines as if Full Metal Jacket was a comedy, and when I actually watched the movie I was just super confused why anyone would think those lines were like these hilarious lines. How can you watch Gomer blow his brains out, and think wow that looks like fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

The Vosgian Beast posted:

This mainly just makes me think of military people as insane and unpleasant.
I think it's more that people don't get satire, especially if it's directed at them and especially if they are already demented people. Gang members think Scarface is awesome. Bankers embraced The Wolf of Wall Street. Hell, look at all the dudes who think the characters of Mad Men and Entourage are worth emulating. Or the numerous people who thought the message of Fight Club was "if you're not an aggressive rear end in a top hat, then you're just some dumb pawn who isn't really living".

kuddles fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 30, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

The_Rob posted:

I remember in high school there were ROTC kids who would recite the drill sergeant lines as if Full Metal Jacket was a comedy, and when I actually watched the movie I was just super confused why anyone would think those lines were like these hilarious lines. How can you watch Gomer blow his brains out, and think wow that looks like fun.

Because they don't think they'd get Gomered. Duuuuhhhhhhh:rolleye:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

The_Rob posted:

Hey, man, he's not a bigot! He calls everyone a human being!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

morestuff posted:

Tabloid, though the crime there is more fun.

Seconded, it is loving amazing especially at the end.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Think about it, though. Are there any subcultures you can think of that don't have "wrong role models" or are unsusceptible to "not getting it"? This isn't a psychopathology I'm talking about here, even.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
My father was a marine and had me watch one of his favorite movies, Full Metal Jacket, when I was about 8-10. I was, obviously, horrified, and it completely turned me off from ever joining the military, supporting war, or making heroes out of troops because they chose to be troops.

I don't see how someone can watch that movie and walk away thinking it's pro-war, pro-military, or anything even close to that. It's insane.

I can understand someone watching The Guest and thinking "being military is cool, I'd be like a superhero'. But watching FMJ and signing up for the military is insane.

I worked with a large amount of prior military, got to know a lot of great guys, but it's insane how many laugh about gunning down groups of people for the hell of it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Franchescanado posted:

I can understand someone watching The Guest and thinking "being military is cool, I'd be like a superhero'. But watching FMJ and signing up for the military is insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4BuQMJEKHw

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Think about it, though. Are there any subcultures you can think of that don't have "wrong role models" or are unsusceptible to "not getting it"? This isn't a psychopathology I'm talking about here, even.

I like to think that Goons are above that, but then I realize that FYAD is the only part of this forum with the self-awareness to be truly self-loathing.:smith:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Chichevache posted:

Because they don't think they'd get Gomered. Duuuuhhhhhhh:rolleye:
This is really an important point to make. Almost nobody who goes into infantry branches of the military expect to crack down when they get home, or have their face blown off by shrapnel, or have a kid blow himself up with a grenade to try and kill an American. They start out immature and impressionable, and the current training system and implementation of the military encourages the warrior/superman mentality where everyone thinks they're just there to protect their comrades, rather than a disposable cog in a wheel which may be unnecessary and harmful.

I've literally not met a marine in the last 20 or so years who wasn't at least a little bit off. It's not about being an officer and a gentleman anymore - it's about training yourself to shoot at the profiles of human beings without thinking about it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Franchescanado posted:

So what you're saying is that after seeing Titanic you vowed to never set foot on a boat again?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chichevache posted:

I like to think that Goons are above that, but then I realize that FYAD is the only part of this forum with the self-awareness to be truly self-loathing.:smith:

TobleroneTriangular already disproved that a while back anyway.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

precision posted:

So what you're saying is that after seeing Titanic you vowed to never set foot on a boat again?

Only if the boat doesn't have enough lifeboats for everyone.

computer parts posted:

TobleroneTriangular already disproved that a while back anyway.

What is this referring to?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

precision posted:

Well I certainly don't plan on ever setting foot on a cruise ship unless my life is already almost over.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

People are complicated obviously, but I grew up watching these antiwar movies with my dad and even as a child I could tell that they were antiwar films. To this day I'm still not 100% sure why he watched them. He turned 18 in 1971 and it is shocking how little he wants to talk about how he felt about the Vietnam War. Mostly he tells me he is lucky he didn't have to go, but he still loves reading books about war (some which glorify it a bit) and he still likes war movies.

My brother in law on the other hand is special forces and he loves talking about going to war and he really loves it. We don't exactly get along, but he is a nice guy so long as we don't discuss politics and military poo poo.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

While I get what you're going for, I don't see there being a major correlation. One is a criticism about the military desensitizing people into "killing machines" for a war and the horrors entailed, the other was a romance special effects blockbuster of a famous disaster of a ship. Either way, I wouldn't enjoy either realities.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Chichevache posted:

We have a thread in this very forum where people get mad when it's pointed out that the heroes don't act very much like heroes. Silicon Valley, full of ostensibly smart people, are all a bunch of culty creeps. Nobel Disease. On and on. Everybody's got these blind spots and it's probably best to have a healthy respect for critical thinking.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Having grown up among the military and conservatives in general, I can say confidently that a lot of those guys like anti-war movies because they show soldiers in their native environment, kicking rear end and being bad motherfuckers. It's badass that Gomer Kyle blows his loving brains out, what a cool loving way to go. Look at Animal Mother, he's a crazy fucker with a huge gun who kills people, how loving cool is that? Look at how Joker wasted that bitch, it's kill or be killed out there motherfuckers! There's not much more too it for a lot of those guys.

Most of the time, the type of people who would comprehend the anti-war elements in Full Metal Jacket as such don't make it to the military, don't last long if theydo, or will never let on that they do because it goes against the macho, anti-intellectual culture of the military.

I don't mean to paint with too broad a brush, because there are a lot of very smart and perceptive people who have been in the military. I guess what I'm saying is that anti-war movies aren't for soldiers; they're to remind the other 90% of society that going to war has tragic consequences.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You have to remember that to some people, this whole aspirational goal of seeing bands and traveling to Bali and doing yoga and having a regular Starbucks order and poo poo like that; being an urban/suburban liberal, sounds like hell on Earth.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Netflix releases their stuff at midnight PST, correct?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

morestuff posted:

You're Next and The Guest have a sensibility I like and interesting component parts, I just wish someone else had directed them

Barrett I think has a tendency to overrely on his sense of humor as things get near the end. Which, y'know, it usually is effective because he's good at hitting the right dark comic beats but it feels like it's usually at expense of the strength of his premise.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

We have a thread in this very forum where people get mad when it's pointed out that the heroes don't act very much like heroes. Silicon Valley, full of ostensibly smart people, are all a bunch of culty creeps. Nobel Disease. On and on. Everybody's got these blind spots and it's probably best to have a healthy respect for critical thinking.

I have spent all of my life (except for two years in LA :barf:) in Silicon Valley, and I have no idea where anyone got the idea that these guys were smart. They're good with computers, much like football players are good at football. Critical thinking and whatever "smart" is are not required.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Military ideology also has a timeless appeal of purity. Martial prowess and noble execution of duty trump the politics of war. So all war movies have this natural tension where they can be accurate in displaying the thrill and fulfillment of the grunt's POV but come across as uncritical of war broadly — and it's very hard to capture both and still feel like a cohesive, interesting movie. There's many ways to approach war in cinema, so I don't mean to be too reductionist, but modern American war cinema seems to love playing this dichotomy in order to elicit sympathy for front-line soldiers.

Full Metal Jacket captures a specific time where the US had the draft, which doesn't apply to Jarhead, but both try in their own way to ask why Americans are drawn to military service. I guess if your uncle with delirium tremens is going "Hooah!" whenever animal mother kills a civilian that's creepy, but they're probably just relating to the extreme camaraderie and terrifying focus that being an infantryman requires.

Edit: Also Hundu your four-point summary of white female aspiration made me lol

Cocoa Ninja fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 30, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

If you want to make an effective antiwar film then you at least have to kill off all of your main characters throughout the story to have any hope of bringing the point home these days.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

That Works posted:

If you want to make an effective antiwar film then you at least have to kill off all of your main characters throughout the story to have any hope of bringing the point home these days.

Counterpoint: scarface. That guy ends up face down in a pool under a sign that says "do you see the tragic, obvious conclusion of this character's struggle?" and gangsters still love it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Counterpoint: scarface. That guy ends up face down in a pool under a sign that says "do you see the tragic, obvious conclusion of this character's struggle?" and gangsters still love it.

Dying is badass

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Cocoa Ninja posted:

He didn't go out like a bitch tho:whatup:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cocoa Ninja posted:

It all builds up to an epic death though and makes him look like a badass even if his own greed put him into that position.

I'm thinking more along the lines of typical war movie plot then the supposed MC of the show just dies suddenly because of an IED or friendly fire or something, then go along with another character and repeat process.

I don't think It'd be a great film but if you wanted to show something that would maybe make people think more poorly about the subject showcase many of the characters being killed by trivial or preventable mistakes etc.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

That Works posted:

SHINY AND CHROME *fills car with gas and lights road flare*

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chichevache posted:

What is this referring to?

A guy that did a gigantic troll for years and then eventually did a giant effort post on how he did it.

That Works posted:

Having one of them end up homeless would probably work too.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I dunno if you're gonna get the audience you'd want for your aggressively depressing war film, although that might just be reductive thinking.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can anyone recommend some good documentaries about film/cinema? I've seen The Story of Film: An Odyssey and What is Cinema? Both were fantastic for broadening my horizons on the subject and I'm looking for more like them.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Das Boot hits similar notes and is an incredibly beloved film, I think there's room for this

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

That Works posted:

Not just these days, All Quiet on the Western Front was filmed 85 years ago and is still one of the most harrowing stories about war I've read/watched. I need to reread that book.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

That Works posted:

It all builds up to an epic death though and makes him look like a badass even if his own greed put him into that position.

I'm thinking more along the lines of typical war movie plot then the supposed MC of the show just dies suddenly because of an IED or friendly fire or something, then go along with another character and repeat process.

I don't think It'd be a great film but if you wanted to show something that would maybe make people think more poorly about the subject showcase many of the characters being killed by trivial or preventable mistakes etc.

I think the best antiwar film would be:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

But you asked for thoughts, and after smoking a bowl and contemplating things, I had a thought I'd like to share with you.

Have you considered not marrying your fiancee?

I can count on one finger the number of guys that were USAF intel officers that I wouldn't line up outside the gas chambers if the fourth reich became a thing.

A few years from now, when you can't even stand to look at him without feeling a sense of extreme hatred and disappointment simultaneous to realizing that at 28 years old you spend 50% of your day thinking about becoming a divorcee, remember this advice: Run the gently caress away now.

Seriously, there is a 100% chance your fiancee is a tool and a loving nitwit. There is a 100% chance that he will be peer pressured into becoming a distilled version of fighter pilot gay bro'ness not by dudes that fly fighter jets, but other sperged out intel retard officers. He's going to start saying things like "Check, Rodge, Vector, Burner" and other associated lame as gently caress things, while also sometimes randomly wearing a flightsuit to work on Fridays despite his only flight time being the fam flight he poo poo his pants or puked his guts up during.

Also he's going to cheat on you. Oh man is he going to cheat on you. And there is a not too bad chance that it won't be with some good looking gal, but rather some dumb bitch enlisted intel girl that almost got a degree in psychology from her podunk state school before she decided she hated the taste of gargling frat sperm and dropped out and joined up to get a chance at being the hottest little twat in a windowless SCIF in Japan.

But don't worry about that breaking your heart, he'll never tell you. You'll be too busy caring for the 3-4 kids he demands you squeeze out in repayment to the base model BMW 3 series he's going to buy you when he gets to his second assignment at Tinker AFB.

When he's not deep dicking some borderline inbred dipshit Airman who's a civilian 5 and intel 12, he'll be lording over you how his job and career come first, and pray he doesn't make more money than you because that'll come up everytime you sigh audibly at the dinner table where you two will passive aggressively try to grind down each others will to live and breathe.

By this point as a captain he's going to be TDY 1-2 months a year, where he's getting half assed hand jobs from third tier strippers on excursions with the least socially inept enlisted guys in his flight-- this is probably the point where his raging alcoholism will be so clear and obvious to you that you two will start fighting every saturday before kick off when his colleges football team inevitably will take a beating. This fight won't stop until his next TDY when the sweet release of his toothless stripper infidelities and lack of home presence gives you time to bust out your big giant purple *BZZZZZ* friend whenever those walking talking pants making GBS threads machines you call children fall asleep long enough to let you deaden the nerves in your clitoris.

Soon after he'll take his third assignment, the one right before he pins on Major, and suddenly he'll be pressuring you into becoming a fundamentalist christian, and he'll delete all of his whores off of his facebook account and spend his home time posting image macros about 2nd amendment rights, and how jesus spoke english in the bible so these loving mexicans should too. At this point you two will be consigned to bi-annual loving, and only when you've drank enough cheap boxed wind to be able to stand the idea of him pounding away on you missionary style but still refusing to look you in the eyes.

This will also be the point when your oldest childs ADHD and pyromania are diagnosed, and one of your parents die. There is around a 85% chance one of you is going to be eating zoloft and klonopin out of loving pez dispensers, and waking up angry that the sweet release of death hasn't taken one of you out of this loveless hosed up marriage.

Somewhere in here the idea of swinging is going to come up casually as an almost joke when you are both in the blissful release of a nice drunken buzz, and one of you will actually be very open and interested in the idea. The other is going to wind up being an unhappy accomplice wondering why your partner wants to gently caress almost chubby guys with spray on tans, or watch the sacred hole through which your children came into this world be filled with all manner of different ethnicities of cock.

I'm late to bring this up, but sooner rather than later you're also going to screen positive for HPV, and your intel officer husband is going to take every bit of research skills he has from his job to convince you that you got it from donating blood or sitting on a toilet seat.

You didn't get it from the Red Cross or a trip to the shitter.

As it stands now though, you can walk the gently caress away and enjoy a life that I'm pretty sure would be better than the above. And you'll never have to see the inside of an officers wives meeting which is a lovecraftian hell that makes my description of your future seem like Charlie's trip through the chocolate factory.

Antimilitary career at least.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I've never thought that quote was particularly funny...very rude

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
(Derail, I know, but...) What was the resolution? Did they go ahead and get married?

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Can anyone recommend some good documentaries about film/cinema? I've seen The Story of Film: An Odyssey and What is Cinema? Both were fantastic for broadening my horizons on the subject and I'm looking for more like them.
Los Angeles Plays Itself (WATCH THIS NOW)
The Pervert's Guide to Cinema
A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies
Z Channel: A Magnificent Obsession

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

That Works posted:

Absolutely not.

"If I'm gonna die for a word, I'd rather that word be...poontang."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

HP Hovercraft posted:

Los Angeles Plays Itself (WATCH THIS NOW)
The Pervert's Guide to Cinema
A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies
Z Channel: A Magnificent Obsession

Blank City is pretty widely available but, vehemently second all of these.