Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

inklesspen posted:

All other things are never equal.

Yep.

Even leaving aside the needless sex-based discrimination, there's this weird "simulationist" tendency to turn statistics for real life human beings into something meaningful for a handful of individual and exception PCs living in fantasy world. PCs are not statistically average. The average human woman might be less muscular than the average human man? So what? The average human woman isn't a motherfucking assassin who can literally dodge lightning either. D&D characters can survive falls from absurd heights, function perfectly fine after numerous injuries, recover like they're the Wolverine, perform magic that makes Jesus Christ's miracles look like mediocre tricks, and for realzies slay gods. These aren't even people, they are mythological titans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't know if it was so much realism as operation from a baseline (character size, determined by sex and race seemed to factor heavily in the strength limits for the races and sexes).

I guess given the racial strength limits being there as well, it basically built in all sorts of "reality" and in AD&D if you played it straight, your character was going to be anywhere near the limit for strength unless you rolled it at char creation, and since the girdle of storm giant strength gave everyone (even the gnome) 25 strength, I miss the sexism I guess (keep in mind,ability scores didn't climb every few levels in those rules, you pretty much got what you had at char creation, and relied on the loot to be über attribute wise).

Now if you want to say Gary had lots of ideas and rules that could kill the fun fast in a fantasy game, I agree, I just do not think sexism intentional or otherwise was his motivator.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I love how you can lay out this fantastical world where giant lizards can fly and people can conjure lightning out of their hands and wheezy loving nerds will still automatically assume that the average woman is weaker than the average man without fail. Sure you can literally raise the dead and the gods are real and show up every Tuesday, but women as strong as men? Preposterous! Better spend hours upon hours of time defending the most rote sexism possible in my game of wizards and demons.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

There are so many other more intuitive ways to gently caress somebody's stats too.

* Characters from common or poor backgrounds should have a penalty to Intelligence. They've got no education.
* Characters with the highest levels of Strength should probably have a penalty to Dexterity; people who build exclusively more muscle usually sacrifice some flexibility.
* Characters with high Intelligence should probably have a penalty to Charisma; statistically, people who score highest on intelligence tests tend to have difficulty interacting with and relating to others.

...and so on.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It also depends on what "Strength" is meant to model, and most of its effects seem like things which are only partially dependent on raw muscle mass, even in the original versions. If "strength" is essentially "melee damage" than it's pointless, though perhaps it is somewhere where variation might exist between different intelligent species with substantially different musculature.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
If the encumbrance tables are anything to go by, real-world women cap out somewhere around strength 20 on Pathfinder's encumbrance table (using heavy load) based on some stats I looked up. Somewhere around 18/91 to 18/00 in 2e.

Coincidentally, 20 is the highest point-buy or roll strength you can get with a human at level 1. 18/00 in 2e.

An olympic athelete is still supposed to be a sub-level 4 NPC class in 3e if I recall correctly, so they couldn't even buy 21 strength.

But still, this is MagicGameLand so it shouldn't need to matter anyway.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 30, 2015

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kylra posted:

If the encumbrance tables are anything to go by, real-world women cap out somewhere around strength 20 on Pathfinder's encumbrance table (using heavy load) based on some stats I looked up. Somewhere around 18/91 to 18/00 in 2e.

Coincidentally, 20 is the highest point-buy or roll strength you can get with a human at level 1. 18/00 in 2e.

An olympic athelete is still supposed to be a sub-level 4 NPC class in 3e if I recall correctly, so they couldn't even buy 21 strength.

A 280 strict press (and that was the measure in d&d, not the clean and jerk) is a HUGE lift, but you are incorrect at that being the max for 18/50, the lift would be 230. If I remember correctly, 18/00 was 480 (which is the biggest strict press I ever heard of). So yeah, maybe a handful of men have actually hit 18/00, and no women if we are going to talk reality.

But Olympic lifting aside, especially considering the insane drug abusing that goes on at an elite level, it seems gygax's strength limits were tied more to character size differences than an attempt to make women "lesser".

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I was going more by squat since that seems like a much better indicator of what you could reliably move anywhere with after putting things on (like platemail) than just arm-based presses or holding something over your head. I was seeing stuff like 400 for world records of that.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Maybe it's not accurate, but here's a list of unequipped numbers for women's squat records from one of the first google results, powerliftingwatch.com

Squat (no wraps)
Class Lift Name Year Fed Country
97 231 Naomi Kutin 11/10/13 %100 USA
105 319 Wei-Ling Chen 06/12/12 IPF TPE
114 340 Jenn Rotsinger 11/08/14 RAWU USA
123 369 Inna Filimonova 06/01/14 IPF Russia
132 391 Inna Filimonova 06/04/13 IPF Russia
148 450 Rheta West 10/06/12 IPA USA
165 457 Kristy Hawkins 06/27/15 SPF USA
181 473 Jill Brown- Mills 1998 APF USA
198 468 Tatyana Merezhko 06/15/13 BWPC Russia
198+ 615 April Mathis 10/29/11 APF USA

The other categories are even more.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 30, 2015

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I have no more relevant grogquotes with which to keep up the ruse. Instead, enjoy these classics.

WOMEN

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Ahahaha who wrote the second one? I want to shove them in a locker. :psyduck:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I love that human sacrifice rider attached to the Amazon almost as much as I do the shrewish feminist.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I have no more relevant grogquotes with which to keep up the ruse.
But i'm not ready to stop yet. :(

The press thing was a new one to me.

That second thing you just posted is also something. Woman unhappy? Give her a shiny. It's basically a video game.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

That second one if I remember right is from Judges Guild's Ready Ref Sheets Volume 1(There was never a volume 2). Considered by some to be OD&D's DMG.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Please tell me these were written in the 80s and aren't something the OSR published in 2011 or something.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

70's, they predate AD&D. The first is from a Dragon magazine that also predates AD&D. Stone age stuff.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 30, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Serf posted:

I believe an estimated 130,000+ Vietnamese women died in the Vietnam War too. So this guy is about as wrong as wrong can be.

There is this tendency you see in grognards and MRAs in particular, but you occasionally see it in all sorts of unpleasant peole, of using the Vietnam War to shut down feminists because THEY never had to go to war and get slaughtered; it sends me into a frothing rage and I am not even American.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

paradoxGentleman posted:

There is this tendency you see in grognards and MRAs in particular, but you occasionally see it in all sorts of unpleasant peole, of using the Vietnam War to shut down feminists because THEY never had to go to war and get slaughtered; it sends me into a frothing rage and I am not even American.

It's particularly funny when modern MRAs use it because it's like "Well sure but you weren't conscripted in 'nam either".

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

paradoxGentleman posted:

I'm not American either so maybe I get some of my facts wrong, but...

As far as I'm able to determine, the Vietnam war ended in '75. And the first women to be admitted in a US military academy for combat roles was in '76. So, uh, how can you blame women from not dying in 'Nam when they're not allowed to go fight in 'Nam? It's like a double whammy of misogyny - first you don't let them serve their country even if they wanted to, and then later on you complain that they didn't serve their country.

Like I said, not an American so maybe I'm missing something. And I hope I am missing something because the alternative is just too :psyduck: to even think about.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

This is usually brought up because you can argue that the Selective Service system in America, which requires all men to register for it (I believe this is necessary for things like voting and drivers' licensure, though you can claim conscientious objector status with some difficulty), is the one institution which does present a discriminatory framework aimed against men, as women would not be drafted to go fight in Bush's oil wars.

The last time the draft was used was in Vietnam and was a large part of that war's massive unpopularity. I suspect that the draft will never be used again save in some WW3 situation (and frankly, we'd be likely to be the ones starting WW3), and I would be in favor, if not passionate about, either abolishing the selective service system or expanding it to include women too.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Since we're talking about stat penalties, I guess it's time to repost the classic grog to remind everyone of why stat penalties are groggy as heck:

STORMFRONT posted:

I completely understood how there could be smart blacks and yet blacks be less intelligent than whites as a whole when I was a child. When was the first time I thought about an idea like that? When I got into Dungeons and Dragons at the age of nine or ten. I knew that elves were more agile than humans. I knew that because they had a +1 bonus (back when I started playing, now its +2) to Dexterity, I knew they were more dexterous even though the average elf had a Dexterity of 11.5 and humans could have a Dexterity of 18.

These days, orcs have an average Intelligence of 8.5 (10.5 average for 3d6, -2) and since IQ roughly corresponds to D&D Intelligence times ten, then that puts your typical orc at an average IQ of about 85 . . . who does that remind you of? Of course, even as a child (long before I was racially aware) I would have known you were a fool if you said that orcs were as smart as humans just because you had an orc character with an Intelligence of 16. So when I was ten, I apparently knew more about statistics than your typical anti does.

And this point may seem a bit silly, but it introduces an important idea that most white people are conditioned not to believe in - racial essentialism. The idea that race determines certain characteristics or tendencies. We knew that elves we dexterous, that dwarves were tough, that orcs were mean and nasty. We also knew that there were exceptions and that exceptions didn't mean that general trends didn't still apply.

D&D also has a lot about racial loyalty. Elves band together in protection of their forests. Orcs raid human villages and have to be stopped by the hero. In D&D, you have loyalty to your people and you know that sometimes a race in general can be a threat to your's.

As I've grown older over the years I've continued to enjoy role playing games and my though the games I've played have advanced beyond just fighting orcs and finding magic items - but I think that some of those ideas I was exposed to as a child were good lessons that maybe helped me come to terms with ideas that are part of beings a White Nationalist.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
There's a 1% chance that a random m'lady that you encounter will have transparent flesh down to the bone

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
The logic is that we treat women as precious and protected and thus won't send them off to war. Yes, it's very dumb.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Nessus posted:

This is usually brought up because you can argue that the Selective Service system in America, which requires all men to register for it (I believe this is necessary for things like voting and drivers' licensure, though you can claim conscientious objector status with some difficulty), is the one institution which does present a discriminatory framework aimed against men, as women would not be drafted to go fight in Bush's oil wars.

The last time the draft was used was in Vietnam and was a large part of that war's massive unpopularity. I suspect that the draft will never be used again save in some WW3 situation (and frankly, we'd be likely to be the ones starting WW3), and I would be in favor, if not passionate about, either abolishing the selective service system or expanding it to include women too.

The Pentagon ended DADT, is exploring women in combat roles and will likely end the rules against transgendered service members before the next election. It would be surprising if there wasn't a case in the next 5 years over Selective Service not applying to women.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

quote:

quote:

To answer the OP. the Strength Table has been a point of contention over sexisim for a long time.

Personally, when I GMed AD&D 1st that chart was more for me the GM, and less for the players. The players got what they rolled. The NPC's followed the stat chart.

What most people forget or intentionally ignore is that AD&D opens with a Big RULE 0 as RULE 1. Gygax says that the game is a collection of rules, use what you want, alter or forget the rest if they don't fit your game. That Rule 0 is often implied in other games but rarely stated as clearly as it is in AD&D 1st.

Remember when sexism was over because it's up to the individual to choose whether or not to act in a sexist way? :homebrew:

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Sage Genesis posted:

Yep.

Even leaving aside the needless sex-based discrimination, there's this weird "simulationist" tendency to turn statistics for real life human beings into something meaningful for a handful of individual and exception PCs living in fantasy world. PCs are not statistically average. The average human woman might be less muscular than the average human man? So what? The average human woman isn't a motherfucking assassin who can literally dodge lightning either. D&D characters can survive falls from absurd heights, function perfectly fine after numerous injuries, recover like they're the Wolverine, perform magic that makes Jesus Christ's miracles look like mediocre tricks, and for realzies slay gods. These aren't even people, they are mythological titans.

Yes, but a heroic man would still be proportionately stronger than an equivilent "heroic" woman.
:goonsay:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Shadeoses posted:

There's a 1% chance that a random m'lady that you encounter will have transparent flesh down to the bone

Fritz Leiber reference. In Nehwon (the world where the Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser stories take place), there's a race of ghouls who aren't undead and have transparent flesh. One of them becomes Fafhrd's girlfriend.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The biggest issue, for me at least, with all that OD&D and AD&D shittiness towards women, is not that it exists, but that there are no small number of AD&D fans who will still give mealy mouthed defenses of it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ProfessorCirno posted:

The biggest issue, for me at least, with all that OD&D and AD&D shittiness towards women, is not that it exists, but that there are no small number of AD&D fans who will still give mealy mouthed defenses of it.

See, I would understand that Judges Guild or whatever supplement written in the 70s-80s would have some not-cool portrayals of women, but I posted that Zylarthen thing specifically because it was a retroclone published in TYOOL 2014.

If all the designer wanted to do was make an improved version of the Three Brown Books, he could well have done that, but the STR limits on women aren't in the original text, they were on some Dragon article or whatever, so the designer made a conscious and deliberate decision to include the rule (even if it is optional).

Serf
May 5, 2011

I'll give the guy one thing: at least he admits that orcs are essentially a stand-in for black people in most things D&D.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

gradenko_2000 posted:

So it came up in the F&F discussion of Blue Rose that the set-up of Aldis as the setting isn't really "goody two shoes run the world everything is perfect forever", and more importantly, that there are many, many implications and potential plot hooks that could make the kingdom take a much grittier tone than "storybook heroes defending Disneyland", it's just that why would you ever want to do that to Aldis considering that's already what 99.99% of all other fantasy TRPG settings already do?

This means he's spent something like 910 hours/38 days playing ... Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 Edition, with only the "Generic Classes" available.

Hey do you have the link to where the FF posts for Blue Rose start?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Serf posted:

I'll give the guy one thing: at least he admits that orcs are essentially a stand-in for black people in most things D&D.

Well, no one has ever accused Stormfront of dog-whistling...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Serf posted:

I mean Rangers did used to literally get Racism Powerups.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Serf posted:

Arcanum: Of Steam And Magik Obscura (yes, computer game, but a very D&D inspired game) has a bunch of victorian era humans, and you find researchers who are trying to study the eugenics needed to raise orcs from being "feral" to "more intelligent stature" so... they will make better servants.

(Note, this game has orcs flying biplanes in the opening scene)

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Shadeoses posted:

Are those italics indicating your sudden arousal at the thought, skeleman?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Every now and again even a blind hog snorts up a truffle.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

FireSight posted:

Arcanum: Of Steam And Magik Obscura (yes, computer game, but a very D&D inspired game) has a bunch of victorian era humans, and you find researchers who are trying to study the eugenics needed to raise orcs from being "feral" to "more intelligent stature" so... they will make better servants.

(Note, this game has orcs flying biplanes in the opening scene)

The intro is great because that's the thing people find more unbelievable. Heavier then air machines? Impossible. Orcs flying it? Now I know you're REALLY loving with me.

Rainbow Pharaoh
Jun 13, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

I have no more relevant grogquotes with which to keep up the ruse. Instead, enjoy these classics.

WOMEN

Grognards.txt: The following tables are used upon encountering women

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Literally The Worst posted:

Hey do you have the link to where the FF posts for Blue Rose start?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3601035&userid=187945&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post448052076

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

ProfessorCirno posted:

The intro is great because that's the thing people find more unbelievable. Heavier then air machines? Impossible. Orcs flying it? Now I know you're REALLY loving with me.

Then the game starts and whoops so much for that.

• Locked thread