Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Keldulas posted:

I am honestly impressed with what they've done with Vivi here. Like this series of events is spiteful, but.... there's a lot of heart in how he reacts to this poo poo. That more than anything sells what's going on here for me.

I've only ever played through the game once, but Vivi was pretty much my favorite character throughout the entire thing.

Poor kid needs so many goddamn hugs you don't even know. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This sequence is one of the strongest parts of the game. What always gets me are the other black mages. They never speak, you've only just learned of them but in the space of 3 scenes they go from mysterious plot devices to conscious beings that you feel emotional about when Black Waltz 3 massacres them :( It's heart wrenching and this whole sequence was what kicked this game into the top tier of my favourites.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Right? And its not even the end of a disk!

I just realised so many awesome things have happened already and we're only about 15% through the game

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ghostwoods posted:

Zidane seems to have a really weird head.

The art style they used for this game in general has a very cartoony "not quite chibi but pretty chibi" set of proportions to it which gives Dagger and Zidane enormous heads and makes everyone look like they're ten. They also emote a lot more like cartoon characters than actual people, which is to say their faces distort more with expressions than you'd expect.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Keldulas posted:

I am honestly impressed with what they've done with Vivi here. Like this series of events is spiteful, but.... there's a lot of heart in how he reacts to this poo poo. That more than anything sells what's going on here for me.
For such an odd little character he appears to be, as someone extremely out of place amongst the humans in the group, they really flesh him out extremely well.

This whole section with the airship escape is very special to me not just for really feeling for Vivi in that moment, but also...well, I'm one of those people that when playing older RPGs, I tend to voice everybody, whatever dialogue actually pops up, even the NPCs in various voices cuz I was a kid doing it and the habit stuck.

When I had my best friend play this game for the very first time when we were around our mid-20s, I told him about all this and he, for a laugh, said "yeah sure go voice everyone this'll be hilarious". ...we both sorta broke down in tears when I started voicing this scene, I kinda got TOO into it but he's never forgotten this bit as a result.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I remember when I was younger a lot my friends at school refused to even try this game, solely because of the art style. Suckers missed out.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Rarity posted:

I just realised so many awesome things have happened already and we're only about 15% through the game

Yeah, if you go straight from Point A to Point B this game is actually rather short. But the world is so huge and so full of things to do that sometimes you wanna do anything but that.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

TheFattestPat posted:

I remember when I was younger a lot my friends at school refused to even try this game, solely because of the art style. Suckers missed out.
It was definitely offputting to a lot of people.

I also didn't care for it. Back then, Nomura designs were more shiny and interesting and semi-realistic before he just started drinking paint and putting belts, zips and merch everywhere...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

TheFattestPat posted:

I remember seeing FFIX in stores and completely flipping out, since I've never got the older SNES-games thanks to living in the wrong country and missing FFVII and VIII thanks to them being released during a time where I was still working through my SNES-library. (Also I was literally to poor to get them.)

Then suddenly we got a PSX and I got FFIX to my birthday. I never expected my mother (who thinks computers are kobold-driven magic modules) to remember my weird longing for Final Fantasy and actually getting me that game! It was like the best day ever. :3:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Rarity posted:

15%? :raise:

The game hasn't even thrown us in a proper dungeon yet, unless I'm remembering way incorrectly I'd say we've just barely scratched the surface.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Captain Bravo posted:

The game hasn't even thrown us in a proper dungeon yet, unless I'm remembering way incorrectly I'd say we've just barely scratched the surface.

Yeah, it's at BEST 5%....

Probably less.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Captain Bravo posted:

I'd say the Evil Forest and Ice Caverns qualify as dungeons, with the Dali underground as an optional sort of mini-dungeon. Very few "Dungeon" designated areas are actually all that long in FFIX, which I'd actually say is a strength considering how many JRPGs dungeons I've stumbled through that didn't know when to quit.

In any case, we're about halfway through the first disc, so I'd say 15% is accurate.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Black Waltz 3 has such a great design, I love it.

But he made Vivi sad, so it is good that he got blown up and slammed in a door.

Also drat that "chest" on the airship. You spend the whole conversation looking at it and thinking "oh boy oh boy, what's in that chest" and then it isn't one. It's a wonderful trick.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

incidentally, since they were in the last update, here's some concept art of zorn & thorn. mostly because i love the faces they're making, and the subtle differences in their make-up that barely come across in the in-game models.

you can also tell that zorn has a club design on his sleeves, and thorn has a diamond. It's a weird detail, since I don't think anyone has a heart or a spade.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

McDragon posted:

Also drat that "chest" on the airship. You spend the whole conversation looking at it and thinking "oh boy oh boy, what's in that chest" and then it isn't one. It's a wonderful trick.

I guarantee that Zidane's line about it was thrown in because playtesters were frustrated by not being able to open it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Endorph posted:

you can also tell that zorn has a club design on his sleeves, and thorn has a diamond. It's a weird detail, since I don't think anyone has a heart or a spade.

Zorn has a club on his right sleeve, and a spade on his left. Thorn, who is red, has a diamond on his right sleeve and a heart on his left.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

Zorn has club on one sleeve and spade on the other, Thorn has diamond and heart.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

:smugdog:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Endorph posted:

incidentally, since they were in the last update, here's some concept art of zorn & thorn. mostly because i love the faces they're making, and the subtle differences in their make-up that barely come across in the in-game models.

FFIX is one of those games I'd really like to see a graphical update for just to see it how it must have existed in the designers' heads.

A small part of me is hoping Square's decision to remake FFVII will ultimately bear fruit for FFIX.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Quantum Toast posted:

Zorn has club on one sleeve and spade on the other, Thorn has diamond and heart.
Oh poo poo, I actually didn't notice that. That's cool.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

We're talking about Zorn and Thorn. You can't tell me it's not appropriate for us both to say the same thing, at the same time, in different ways.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Quantum Toast posted:

We're talking about Zorn and Thorn. You can't tell me it's not appropriate for us both to say the same thing, at the same time, in different ways.

:vince:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Bad Seafood posted:

FFIX is one of those games I'd really like to see a graphical update for just to see it how it must have existed in the designers' heads.

A small part of me is hoping Square's decision to remake FFVII will ultimately bear fruit for FFIX.
Or, yanno, just bring the loving game out on Steam or something. :eng99:

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

FinalGamer posted:

Is it just 9 and 12 that aren't on there now?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

FinalGamer posted:

That would require a from-scratch rebuild - not only was there never a PC version of 9, but there was never an non-PS1 version. The only FF games that are on Steam right now were either made in the multi-platform era (XIII, XIII-2), already had PC releases (VII, VIII), or were already rebuilt from scratch (III, IV). If they were going to port I, II, V, and VI, they'd at least have the code for the process (from the Advance or mobile versions), but IX was never intended to appear off of the original platforms, and nearly all the assets used to make the game were discarded.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pichupal posted:

Is it just 9 and 12 that aren't on there now?
10 and 10-2 aren't on there either.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Endorph posted:

10 and 10-2 aren't on there either.

Neither is I, II, V, or VI

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Gnoman posted:

Neither is I, II, V, or VI

If we got FFV on Steam it would be the janky-rear end mobile version and nobody wants that. Nobody at all.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
9's the only game which has never been touched on in any way. 12 at least had the Japan-only International version.

I actually kind of hope if they re-release it that they won't touch it outside of maybe adjusting the battle speed. IX's charming enough as it is.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

KataraniSword posted:

If we got FFV on Steam it would be the janky-rear end mobile version and nobody wants that. Nobody at all.

The only things wrong with FFV mobile are the mainc haracter sprites and some of the world tiles. Both of thsoe could be fixed easily with a patch.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MonsieurChoc posted:

The only things wrong with FFV mobile are the mainc haracter sprites and some of the world tiles. Both of thsoe could be fixed easily with a patch.

There's a bunch of little mechanical tweaks that make non-standard runs (like Four Job Fiestas) less enjoyable overall. Some of these are just fixing old bugs (!Calm now works as intended, for better or worse, and Berserker targeting is less random) whereas others just seem to be put there to block out any attempts to play the game differently than intended (Omniscient :argh:). Considering that a lot of FFV's replay value comes from the things you can do with its job system, it seems like it's just been overly smoothed out in mechanical ways that aren't always to its benefit, sort of like FF3 was when it went from NES to DS. The difference is that FFV was surprisingly well-balanced as it was, so the negative changes are a little more obvious.

Also you know if there's any patch to restore 16 bit graphics, it sure as hell wouldn't be official. Square seems married to its "everything must be in HD at all times" motif as of late with remakes.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Also you know if there's any patch to restore 16 bit graphics, it sure as hell wouldn't be official. Square seems married to its "everything must be in HD at all times" motif as of late with remakes.

Which is really odd when the made that FFXIII recap video in FFVI era sprites.

The FFV/VI mobile ports don't look particularly HD to me, just.. wrong.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

FeyerbrandX posted:

I think this is just a case of different teams. Like, the mobile ports and remakes are all hideous "HD" graphics, but a bunch of their mobile games (All the Bravest, Record Keeper) are all about the pixel art, retro-izing all the modern characters into 16-bit sprites.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I don't mind the sprites personally (most of them, anyway; Kefka looks fuckin' WEIRD), but mostly because I was getting sick of the tiny-rear end SNES/GBA sprites. Even a change for the worse is still a change.

Still, they could've just gone with the team that did the graphics for FF1/2/4 PSP. Now THOSE were good poo poo.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bufuman posted:

I don't mind the sprites personally (most of them, anyway; Kefka looks fuckin' WEIRD), but mostly because I was getting sick of the tiny-rear end SNES/GBA sprites. Even a change for the worse is still a change.

Still, they could've just gone with the team that did the graphics for FF1/2/4 PSP. Now THOSE were good poo poo.

I wonder what happened to that team. Did they just get blamed for the PSP ports doing poorly (when the problem was more that the PSP was a dead, dead system by the time they came out)?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ApplesandOranges posted:

9's the only game which has never been touched on in any way.

IIRC it's because they lost the source code.

At least that's what I've heard.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

I love that face

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

IIRC it's because they lost the source code.

At least that's what I've heard.

That would be TRAGIC. I don't think I'd care to see it remastered, but I could go for a really simple HD rerelease on every platform imaginable. I'm starting to play through it on ePSXe, and I'd much rather play it like people play VII on Steam.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

zfleeman posted:

That would be TRAGIC. I don't think I'd care to see it remastered, but I could go for a really simple HD rerelease on every platform imaginable. I'm starting to play through it on ePSXe, and I'd much rather play it like people play VII on Steam.

It would be tragic but understandable - FF9 came out basically seconds before Squaresoft imploded (the two events happened close enough together that there's just as many "Square Enix" branded copies of FF9 as there are "Squaresoft" branded), so if anything got lost in that turmoil, it'd be the source code of FF9 and basically anything related to The Spirits Within.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Booourns posted:

I love that face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLfCnGVeL4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Zorn and Thorn completely creep me out. My entire being screams "Kill them with fire."

• Locked thread