Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Koth posted:

My 1PPR league has gone from 3WR 2RB 1TE to 2WR 2RB 1TE 1FLEX. But I see some leagues have 3WR 2RB 1TE 1FLEX.

Any insight on which is "better"? Or is it insignificant?

I'd say the 2WR 2RB 1TE 1Flex. My league is 1WR 1RB 1TE 3Flex and the flexability is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Koth posted:

My 1PPR league has gone from 3WR 2RB 1TE to 2WR 2RB 1TE 1FLEX. But I see some leagues have 3WR 2RB 1TE 1FLEX.

In your situation, it just lessens the value of WRs (since you aren't required to play so many). Is the FLEX WR/RB or WR/RB/TE?

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Thwomp posted:

In your situation, it just lessens the value of WRs (since you aren't required to play so many). Is the FLEX WR/RB or WR/RB/TE?

The flex is WR/RB/TE.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Doltos posted:

and would want to avoid age 30 one year off of football Peterson and Marshawn 'literally 350 carries every year and is bound to break down or have his TDs vultured soon sometime' Lynch.

Footballguys posted:

MIN - RB Adrian Peterson won't be limited

Source: USA TODAY Sports - Tom Pelissero

Minnesota Vikings RB Adrian Peterson will still receive a heavy workload this season, according to head coach Mike Zimmer. Zimmer said Peterson will be given as much as he can take.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Peterson could rush for over 1,500 yards this year, and he may go over 2,000 all-purpose yards in 2015. Fantasy owners should look at him as a top-5 fantasy running back even though he's coming off a mostly missed season in 2014.

Footballguys posted:

MIN - Adrian Peterson to see goal-line touches?

Source: USA TODAY Sports - Tom Pelissero

The Minnesota Vikings plan to give RB Adrian Peterson a heavy workload heading into the season. 'As much as he can take, and as much as he can handle in all the things that we're doing,' head coach Mike Zimmer said Monday, July 27. 'Obviously, we're going to have to spell him at times like you do a lot of guys. But we get down on the goal line, and we're probably not pulling him out, you know? He's our best player, and we're going to continue to use him.'

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

The Viking should use Peterson as much as they possibly can--and in any way they can. A heavy workload for Peterson is music to fantasy owners ears.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Benne posted:

Joseph Randle is the JAGiest of JAGs and I don't think the O-line will elevate him too much. He's going to be ludicrously expensive in a month.

There is something called the Snowshoes Moreno effect, you know

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I'm considering starting a keeper league up but I've never played in one so I'm wondering what to choose for the format. Does anyone know any resources that list a few different keeper format options and explain the pro/cons of each or anything? ESPN is what everyone is used to - does it provide a lot of options for keeper leagues or would it be better to do something like MFL?

I'm leaning towards something like an auction/salary cap format with cost of keepers increasing by $10+10% each year.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

RisqueBarber posted:

I had the 8th pick(12 teams) and took Lynch in the first then Luck on the turn and I was pretty happy with that.

Who are your wideouts?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Koth posted:

With 1PPR your league composition should basically be the same since WRs tend to dominate the flex spot in PPR.

My family league is moving to 2RB/3WR/1FLX this year because we think it will increase scarcity of the WR position. It's half PPR.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Suave Fedora posted:

Who are your wideouts?

Jarvis Landry and Miles Austin! :downs:

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Suave Fedora posted:

Who are your wideouts?

It was mock so I don't really remember but I think my picks were this:

1.)Lynch
2.)Luck
3.)Gore
4.)DeSean
5.)Gurley

Then I dont remember.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Marshawn Lynch hasn't missed a game in 4 years despite his absurd workloads. I don't know why fantasy people are so eager to write him off every August.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Benne posted:

Marshawn Lynch hasn't missed a game in 4 years despite his absurd workloads. I don't know why fantasy people are so eager to write him off every August.

Because, "THIS WILL BE THE YEAR IT FINALLY CATCHES UP WITH HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I stay away from Lynch because I dislike Seattle though, so my reasons aren't that great.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Benne posted:

Agreed, he is a monster and plays for the love of football, which is awesome. Any time he falls past the top 5, I'm happy.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Benne posted:

Running backs maintain roughly the same annual production until the year they do not. It is usually not a graceful fall, but rather a straight free fall.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

RCarr posted:

I know someone asked before, but why are you so set on taking a QB early? It goes against common fantasy knowledge. You seem to be set on taking a QB in the first 3 rounds no matter what.

I think QBs are underrated for how much points you can get from them and how bad the replacement level guys are. Rodgers/Luck/Wilson/Brees/Roethlisberger all topped the scoring charts last year by a significant margin with Rodgers and Luck scoring 350ish points each which is better than anything else in fantasy by a lot. Like I know a bunch of other QBs scored 250+, but having that 22 point average each game is absurdly good in fantasy. If you snag Luck/Rodgers with Brown/ODB/Nelson/Thomas/Dez/Jones/Sanders/Cobbs, you're looking at around 55 points guaranteed each week which dips by 10ish points if you take a RB instead, unless that RB is Murray or Bell and they replicate their 2014s.

Benne posted:

Because running backs can and do suddenly completely free fall from fantasy relevance in a span of a year, even RBs on par with Lynch. We've all been burnt by the Priest Holmes/LdTs/MJDs/Clinton Portis picks before. Also what I'm more worried about in Lynch's case is how many TDs he's going to get vultured this year with Jimmy Graham coming into the picture..

The pro's for Lynch is he's still only 29, they were safe with his carries last year and kept him to 280, which is what he's generally used to, and he set a career high for rushing and reception TDs. The cons for Lynch is that he's 29, he is a bruising back, and his reception passing game seemed to be due to the complete lack of a TE last year for the Hawks. Also career highs don't always mean future career success and he can easily regress, but all of that's pointless because Lynch is still a top 10 back in fantasy and will probably put up another 1k yards and 8+ TDs. Nothing to scoff at, I'm just arguing that he's not exactly a RB I'd take over a WR like Brown/ODB/Nelson/Thomas/Dez/Jones in my current approach to fantasy.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Doltos posted:

you're looking at around 55 points guaranteed each week

had to stop reading right there. Where are you pulling these numbers?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Doltos posted:

The cons for Lynch is that he's 29, he is a bruising back, and his reception passing game seemed to be due to the complete lack of a TE last year for the Hawks. Also career highs don't always mean future career success and he can easily regress, but all of that's pointless because Lynch is still a top 10 back in fantasy and will probably put up another 1k yards and 8+ TDs. Nothing to scoff at, I'm just arguing that he's not exactly a RB I'd take over a WR like Brown/ODB/Nelson/Thomas/Dez/Jones in my current approach to fantasy.

Loss of Unger will probably hurt as well, though I don't know how good the OL depth is for the Seahawks.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
How nervous should I/we be about drafting either Ingram or Spiller and having the Saints turn into a RBBC?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Gyshall posted:

had to stop reading right there. Where are you pulling these numbers?

It's not 'guaranteed' but an average. NFL.com's fantasy points list Rodgers and Luck at 350ish points which goes to 22 per week in a 16 week season. The list of WRs hover around 15ish points. Since I'm arguing for a QB/WR/WR combo in the first three picks that means the number I came up with is the average of the two WRs from the list and a top tier QB, which is why RCarr asked me why I draft QBs early.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Are you willing to reach to get those elite QB's? You would take Rodgers/Luck over Lynch/Peterson/etc? I'm all for having an elite QB but they seem to go early every year and I couldn't feel good about passing on a sure thing stud RB to have Luck.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 30, 2015

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
The reason you fade guys like Peterson or Lynch or McCoy is because you are using your first round pick to secure elite production for the entire season. If you are picking a guy with inherent risks (age, role, whatever), you are basically squeezing the range of likely outcomes for your first pick unnecessarily. Dez Bryant isn't 30 and played football last year, the odds of him outperforming Peterson in a VORP sense are higher than I'd be comfortable picking Peterson at.

Again, why pay for risk? If you don't mind old fart RBs who may fall off a cliff at any moment, for God's sakes wait three rounds and take Gore, he's in a far better offense than any of these other dude we're quibbling.

If I was in a redraft league (suckers! :haw:), I'd probably go Gronk/WR in the first round (unless Lacy is there, him I'm pretty comfy taking), then taking Jeremy Hill or somebody else young and healthy in the second. Come back around for Gore in the third, and boom, two starting high value RBs plus a rock solid WR or the best TE out there. Less "eggs in one basket" risk, probably better consistency to boot.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Joseph Randle was so good that the Cowboys gave Murray 1,000,000 carries last year and let Randle carry the ball in the playoffs twice.

Gyshall posted:

Enjoy your Shady McCoy this year and watch him run east west all year, lmao

Take it from an Eagles fan, he is hot garbage.

Please stop. Shady is an elite running back and really fun to watch. This from a realistic Eagles fan.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
McFadden starting camp on the PUP :lol:

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Here's some good reading on why you should wait on QBs unless you're in a 2QB or Superflex league: http://www.lateroundqb.com/why-you-should-draft-your-quarterback-late-every-single-year/

Written last year, but still extremely relevant.

TL;DR: The dropoff in QB tiers is steady compared to the more volatile tier dropoffs for RBs and WRs, meaning that by taking a QB in early rounds, you're significantly reducing the chance that you will draft RBs or WRs who are likely to produce elite (and usable) weeks. The difference between RB1/RB32 and WR1/WR32 are more drastic than the difference between QB1/QB32.

QBs also have the most predictable production out of any position, so you can wait to draft a late round QB and stream matchups throughout the season and have a much higher chance at achieving top 10 production out of the position than you would by employing the same strategy for WR or RB.

Even Andrew Luck can lay an egg in week 2 of the Fantasy Playoffs and end your season right there.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
In a year when there is a really good (like, "reasonable") chance that Andy loving Dalton is about to poop out a Top 6 QB performance, the idea of drafting a QB early is so ludicrous I can't even begin to fathom the logic.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franks Happy Place posted:

In a year when there is a really good (like, "reasonable") chance that Andy loving Dalton is about to poop out a Top 6 QB performance, the idea of drafting a QB early is so ludicrous I can't even begin to fathom the logic.

Where are you getting that projection for the Red Rifle? Genuinely curious as I've used the combo of Stafford/Dalton (Backup QB on Staff's bye) for about 2-3 seasons now and enjoy Dalton Hype.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

RCarr posted:

Are you willing to reach to get those elite QB's? You would take Rodgers/Luck over Lynch/Peterson/etc? I'm all for having an elite QB but they seem to go early every year and I couldn't feel good about passing on a sure thing stud RB to have Luck.

Depends on where I'm drafting. I'm in a 14 person league so if I'm drafting in the rear end end I'm probably targeting one of the QBs and WR on the wrap around. Like last year I ended up with A.J. Green in the first and Rodgers in the second, which didn't work out great for Green, and I had a chance to draft Brown or Bryant, but that strategy will probably be what I'm doing again this year if I'm in the rear end end. If I'm picking in the front seven I'm probably targeting a Bell/Lynch/Lacy/McCoy/Charles or a high WR like Bryant, grabbing another good WR in the second, then settling for a Russell Wilson/Manning/Roethlisberger with my third round pick. That is kinda a reach at that point and I could realistically go for another WR in the 3rd, or a mid-range RB, but I just prefer trying to get Luck or Rodgers this draft.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Where are you getting that projection for the Red Rifle? Genuinely curious as I've used the combo of Stafford/Dalton (Backup QB on Staff's bye) for about 2-3 seasons now and enjoy Dalton Hype.

The last time he had 16 games of both A.J. Green and Marvin Jones was 2013, when he was QB5. Since then they've massively upgraded at RB, and have a really flashy looking young TE in Eifert. That's a shitload of weapons, yo.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Agreed. I am super high on Dalton this year.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
QB really does seem like a win-win this year. If I can't get Rodgers or Luck, then I'm perfectly happy having a Rivers or a Stafford or an Eli at dirt cheap prices.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I swear guys this is the year Josh Freeman breaks out plus you can get him at great value

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Sataere posted:

Agreed. I am super high on Dalton this year.

And if you don't like him, try:

-Tannehill on the upswing, also has improved weapons, offensive consistency finally, etc.
-Roethlisberger has both Antonio Brown PLUS the emerging Martavis Bryant, so he's going to equal or better last year
-Romo has a worse run game to work with this year, which probably means more throws. He too has an elite WR1 plus a stable of decent options (Beasley, Williams, Witten)
-Cam Newton finally has two functioning WRs, plus Olsen, and is likely due to regress upward
-Eli is gonna go Super Saiyan this year
-Flacco will benefit from Trestman's scheming
-Rivers got upgraded weapons, particularly Stevie Johnson
-Palmer is back, has lots of weapons, and is always an option
-Some people like the Angry Brady strategy once he comes back
-Plus there's Winston and Bridgewater with some upside, etc. etc. etc.

There's just so many options this year, it's crazy. I will say that I like Dalton best from a value pick standpoint, he's borderline undrafted right now.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Metapod posted:

I swear guys this is the year Josh Freeman breaks out plus you can get him at great value

This but geno smith

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Franks Happy Place posted:

Dez Bryant isn't 30 and played football last year

I'm struggling to reconcile the AP scenario. Some see his 2014 as a year in which he got older. I'm leaning towards it being a year that he didn't expose his body to the rigors of the an NFL season. So you can't look at his age in the same light as data that historically assumes that 30-year old RBs played in their 29th year.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I loving love Tannehill this year. Jarvis Landry is going to be a PPR stud and is perfect for him.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Suave Fedora posted:

I'm struggling to reconcile the AP scenario. Some see his 2014 as a year in which he got older. I'm leaning towards it being a year that he didn't expose his body to the rigors of the an NFL season. So you can't look at his age in the same light as data that historically assumes that 30-year old RBs played in their 29th year.

I won't be drafting AD, but I expect him to have a monster year. I think there are some guys that you just have to assume will never age and always be good, because they are that good. AD is one of those guys.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Sataere posted:

I won't be drafting AD, but I expect him to have a monster year. I think there are some guys that you just have to assume will never age and always be good, because they are that good. AD is one of those guys.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25247799/look-adrian-peterson-is-ripped-and-in-ridiculously-good-shape

indeed

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Now imagine that hitting a kid with a stick :stare:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I love the included tweet.

quote:

My man Adrian Peterson Minnesota Vikings moving like a rookie ,will silence alot of critics this season

"Holy poo poo AP looks loving incredible! I take it back it's awesome that he hit his kid so hard that he started bleeding and whacked him in the balls! GO Vikings!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I'll still draft him tho...

• Locked thread