Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Sickening posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/3ewbcx/proper_way_to_propose_a_split_without_fear_of_a_dq/ctjfpw1

It appears a L5 has an opinion that splitting in anything but the finals isn't allowed. It also appears that there is an issue with splitting if there is an invite/points being awarded.

Whoa, well this guy should've gotten the memo out earlier, because literally every single GPT and PPTQ I've ever attended has has prize splitting before the final table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
My biggest complaint with MODO is the collection. It's ugly, it's hard to organize and see what you have, what's for trade, etc. The gameplay and battlefields are quite functional, if a little basic, and the rules are implemented extremely well that they work over 99% of the time. And in the rare instance they don't, they are very understanding about refunds and compensation.

For adults with a spouse, kids and various obligations, MODO is the only way to play magic. I still go to my LGS once every few months to enjoy the social aspect of it and play a new set that hasn't made it to MODO yet, but most of my grinding is online.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ramos posted:

Eh, copy and paste, didn't get the last part of scry, intend to get that last bit later, forget about it, leave it to an intern.

Come to think of it, it probably isn't copy paste. It isn't copy paste if you type out the code by hand.

Sad part is, it sounds like something the Wizards Dev Department would actually do. I post every now and then, how sad it is. It's Hasbro, not a dinky indie company, there is no chance they can't afford to hire some good devs for it. But we've been through this, it's not a new issue.

Every now and then I get the urge to get MODO and play some cube (and suck at it), just like now, I was watching some LSV drafts, but I just dread the entire thing, especially since actual money would be involved.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
scry_the_bones_magic_origins.txt

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Read the Bones will go great in my Fatespinner/Mindslaver/Blinding Beam deck.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm curious: Who here thinks Read the Bones is a better card than Divination?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AlternateNu posted:

It's "better" in that you can potentially dig 4 cards down as opposed to just 2. If life isn't relevant, it's definitely better.

In other news, Jim Davis knocking it out of the park again.

I mean, this isn't a reference to South Park and racist jokes, but come on.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 30, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

AlternateNu posted:

I think Read is a worse card at a baseline level, but the more you care about drawing a specific card, the better Read is.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AlternateNu posted:

Read the Bones is a more powerful card.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's also colour to consider - blue will generally have better card draw spells to be casting than Divination, while Read the Bones is probably the best option in black.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Death Bot posted:

I keep considering getting into modo, but every time I forget about its past offenses, something pops up. Some horrible bug makes a popular deck unplayable. LSV takes a month off when pressing "No" is read as pressing "Yes." Event prices get changed around in a way that is generally worse for players but generally better for income. I went to go help my friend do a cube draft, and cube had gone offline after a week and a half. (The last one led to Dzyl going back to poker, and luckily Bahra_ didn't follow through on his threat to quit when the even changes ended up not being as awful as people were making them out to be)

MODO could be a game that works as well as Hearthstone and looks just a little bit better, but instead it is some horrible pile of code that has problems on a regular basis and has memory bloat to the degree that what is basically a graphical card rotating simulator runs worse than actual real games on my computer (including illegal second party versions of itself).

I will close this with a disclaimer: I do know that Magic Online runs about alright most of the time. I just feel like if I'm going to spend hundreds for DIGITAL collectible cards, the game should work most or all of the time without taxing my computer so much.

They list when Cube is up in advance and bugs are actually extremely infrequent in rules/card stuff. There are plenty of reasons to hate MODO, but the game not actually working correctly isn't really one of them. Its a non-issue.

The memory usage garbage, etc. is a totally different story, but I don't personally find it effects gameplay when I'm used to it.

Niton posted:

I think Read is a worse card at a baseline level, but the more you care about drawing a specific card, the better Read is.

Basically this. The more direct comparison is probably Sign in Blood.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yes but Sign in Blood has the awesome corner case of letting you dome or draw out your opponent :shepface: If I'm running both Read and Divination for whatever reason, I think I'd rather see Read unless losing two life puts me in range of losing the game.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Time to play some "The Price is Right" with Terese Nielsen art prints!

http://www.originalmagicart.com/auction-guessing-game-akromas-by-terese-nielsen/

Get to guessing goons!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The main things I dislike about modo are
a) card collection management / deckbuilding is a complete UI disaster
b) the card trading system is a complete UI disaster and the market is reliant on an inconvenient system of third-party bots
c) everything outside of the actual gameplay is slightly sluggish and poorly responsive for no good reason.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

C-Euro posted:

Yes but Sign in Blood has the awesome corner case of letting you dome or draw out your opponent :shepface: If I'm running both Read and Divination for whatever reason, I think I'd rather see Read unless losing two life puts me in range of losing the game.

Read is a better card than Divination anyways. The scry-2 plus draw-2 (in a non-blue deck) is gonna be worth 2 life the majority of the time unless you have a very weak deck to begin with.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Entropic posted:

b) the card trading system is a complete UI disaster and the market is reliant on an inconvenient system of third-party bots
c) everything outside of the actual gameplay is slightly sluggish and poorly responsive for no good reason.

For C, I thought that was a stream issue where all your actions have a weird delay on it. Guess the client is just that janky :( Also the stupid Duels game bugged out on me after I blocked with 8 creatures and the AI resolved 6 blockers, the timer on the bottom just keeps spinning and not do anything.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Thisuck posted:

Also the stupid Duels game bugged out on me after I blocked with 8 creatures and the AI resolved 6 blockers, the timer on the bottom just keeps spinning and not do anything.

I had an issue like that with Double Strike, try stopping and resuming the timer.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

I think the points you make in C are related. I don't think they spend more than a second on anything outside of the game working. What I heard (i.e. rumor) is that the development team has almost no actual time to fix anything in the game because MTG has such an aggressive release schedule that all of its time is spent implementing new cards.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

I think the points you make in C are related. I don't think they spend more than a second on anything outside of the game working. What I heard (i.e. rumor) is that the development team has almost no actual time to fix anything in the game because MTG has such an aggressive release schedule that all of its time is spent implementing new cards.

Everything I've heard from former devs is consistent with them just having way too small a team for the product. They should have a whole department that just works on UI / commerce stuff, but instead people who would be working on that get pulled in to help make release dates for the gameplay updates and instead of hiring more people they let UI improvements wait. Also possibly they have people who are good coders but not necessarily UI experts doing UI work in between mad crunches on rules implementation work.

Basically they they need to pony up the cash to hire a dedicated UI team who knows what they're doing, but they won't, because the program chugs along making money at a steady pace and doesn't break down disasterously that often.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

Everything I've heard from former devs is consistent with them just having way too small a team for the product. They should have a whole department that just works on UI / commerce stuff, but instead people who would be working on that get pulled in to help make release dates for the gameplay updates and instead of hiring more people they let UI improvements wait. Also possibly they have people who are good coders but not necessarily UI experts doing UI work in between mad crunches on rules implementation work.

Basically they they need to pony up the cash to hire a dedicated UI team who knows what they're doing, but they won't, because the program chugs along making money at a steady pace and doesn't break down disasterously that often.

And while the complaints about the product are completely 100% legitimate, I think WOTC also views its community as an inherently whiny group. Which is not incorrect, either.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I don't play Hearthstone, but I'm curious, what's Hearthstone's expansion release schedule like, and is it like Magic where almost every expansion introduces 3-4 new mechanics that need to be implemented programmatically?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

qbert posted:

I don't play Hearthstone, but I'm curious, what's Hearthstone's expansion release schedule like, and is it like Magic where almost every expansion introduces 3-4 new mechanics that need to be implemented programmatically?

If their release schedule is anything like their real cash cow World of Warcraft, they just don't release anything for a year plus after everyone is already bored with the last release. :negative: MTG's release schedule being constant is legitimately one of the reasons I play MTG now.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

They released an adventure last month, which was about 25-30 something new cards and a bunch of fun gimmicks, and next month there's a new set of cards coming out, which contains about 130 something.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hearthstone releases something every 5-6 months on average with maybe 1-2 new mechanics. I like it this way, similar to x wing, since it allows the format to really mature before getting to the new stuff.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

That ties into my own point about money/management. Wizards has fat gobs of cash, considering it's a very successful subsidiary of a huge toy company, and its main product is a very big player in a competitive market. Magic Online is a side-product in a market that's actually lacking in what Magic Online can offer, with other games (most notably Hearthstone) being pretty successful on their own.

And yet, stuff like your post are common knowledge. Very often you hear people saying "Man I'd never stop playing Cube if it wasn't on MODO" or something, to the point where regardless of actual functionality MODO is regarded as a joke. I can't imagine it being an accident, it feels like a conscious decision to treat MTGO as a tertiary property, and I can't help but feel that they're losing money hand over fist.

Hell they could even adopt a F2P-ish model. You get a free cube/other event a day and/or a free actual draft a day (with actual rewards, to entice people to play), pay money for more (obviously), don't sell individual cards (but sell boosters and allow boosters for drafts instead of plain in-game money), offer rewards for playing on sequential days (to keep people coming), facilitate streamers somehow, or even just making the game stream-friendly (I spent most of my afternoon watching LSV cube drafts, imagine having 3-4 people like that, live)...

Yeah it'd be an up-front expensive cost, and overall costlier in the long run (more/better programmers aren't free), but they'd make that money back and more so I think. Hell, I play a lovely phone game that's got a lot of glitches just because it says Transformers on it and the sprites above the RNG are based on toys I'm vaguely familiar with. And I, a person who likes the game enough that I spent actual money to go to a hotel in the middle of nowhere in Serbia to hang out with a bunch of nerds for a weekend talking about Magic, still don't play Magic Online.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

qbert posted:

The release schedule is slower with much simpler mechanics. There's new mechanics but nothing that drastically alters the game like there is in Magic. They actually put in effort to make things aesthetically pleasing though, so there's animations, sound effects, and voice acting that needs to be done for each card.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
MTGO being awful and overpriced is an intentional design decision to make sure the experience is nowhere near as pleasant as playing in real life.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

little munchkin posted:

MTGO being awful and overpriced is an intentional design decision to make sure the experience is nowhere near as pleasant as playing in real life.

"pleasant" describing going to usually cramped rooms with people who smell funny

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

GreyPowerVan posted:

"pleasant" describing going to usually cramped rooms with people who smell funny

And MTGO is more unpleasant than that. :v:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Serperoth posted:

That ties into my own point about money/management. Wizards has fat gobs of cash, considering it's a very successful subsidiary of a huge toy company, and its main product is a very big player in a competitive market. Magic Online is a side-product in a market that's actually lacking in what Magic Online can offer, with other games (most notably Hearthstone) being pretty successful on their own.

And yet, stuff like your post are common knowledge. Very often you hear people saying "Man I'd never stop playing Cube if it wasn't on MODO" or something, to the point where regardless of actual functionality MODO is regarded as a joke. I can't imagine it being an accident, it feels like a conscious decision to treat MTGO as a tertiary property, and I can't help but feel that they're losing money hand over fist.

Hell they could even adopt a F2P-ish model. You get a free cube/other event a day and/or a free actual draft a day (with actual rewards, to entice people to play), pay money for more (obviously), don't sell individual cards (but sell boosters and allow boosters for drafts instead of plain in-game money), offer rewards for playing on sequential days (to keep people coming), facilitate streamers somehow, or even just making the game stream-friendly (I spent most of my afternoon watching LSV cube drafts, imagine having 3-4 people like that, live)...

Yeah it'd be an up-front expensive cost, and overall costlier in the long run (more/better programmers aren't free), but they'd make that money back and more so I think. Hell, I play a lovely phone game that's got a lot of glitches just because it says Transformers on it and the sprites above the RNG are based on toys I'm vaguely familiar with. And I, a person who likes the game enough that I spent actual money to go to a hotel in the middle of nowhere in Serbia to hang out with a bunch of nerds for a weekend talking about Magic, still don't play Magic Online.

I don't assume WOTC doesn't put money into MTGO because they don't regard it as an actual product though. I imagine, as rational business actors, they don't put money into it because for two reasons: one, nothing they do is gonna change the fact that people who play MTG primarily do so in person and don't want to buy the cards twice; and second, they probably don't see a big problem so long as the game itself works.

You cannot just make MTGO cheaper from a business standpoint without removing redemption entirely. Its sort of like a less agreed-upon version of the reserved list; most people actually like (or even demand the game has) redemption, so removing it to make the online experience better isn't something they can really do.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 30, 2015

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't assume WOTC doesn't put money into MTGO because they don't regard it as an actual product though. I imagine, as rational business actors, they don't put money into it because for two reasons: one, nothing they do is gonna change the fact that people who play MTG primarily do so in person and don't want to buy the cards twice; and second, they probably don't see a big problem so long as the game itself works.

You cannot just make MTGO cheaper from a business standpoint without removing redemption entirely. Its sort of like a less agreed-upon version of the reserved list; most people actually like (or even demand the game has) redemption, so removing it to make the online experience better isn't something they can really do.

I'd be happy for MTGO to not have redemption if packs are a dollar.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

qbert posted:

Hard to say, but at the current rate ~3 expansions per year. There's generally only one or two new themed mechanics but I guess most individual legend cards would need their own coding.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
should i bother buying mana confluences? i want to play during this final superstandard of all time, but it seems like nearly every deck i'm interested in runs four of them, and they rotate soon. they're not massively expensive, but will they have any value once they've rotated out of standard?

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug
Wizards painted themselves into a really nasty corner by designing MTGO like they did. Trading (especially Tickets / virtual currency) and redemption are things you'll never see from another big digital TCG because the government starts to treat you like you're either enabling money laundering or running a gambling platform. And they can't ever remove these features from MTGO because the heavily invested player base and bot networks will throw the biggest poo poo fit this community has ever seen. I wouldn't be surprised at all if some people inside WOTC see MTGO in its current state as more of a liability than an asset, no matter how much money it's making.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Paper Triangle posted:

should i bother buying mana confluences? i want to play during this final superstandard of all time, but it seems like nearly every deck i'm interested in runs four of them, and they rotate soon. they're not massively expensive, but will they have any value once they've rotated out of standard?

They'll keep some value until they're reprinted, but that's a very reprintable effect. City of Brass has a million printings and is like 2-3 bucks, so Mana Confluence won't go below that unless it gets reprinted repeatedly.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

After buying FTV angels for well over MSRP because being able to get a foil iona, foil avacyn AND beautiful foil akromas from terese nielsen was too much to not preorder one, what do you think will be in the rest of FTV Angels and which ones will get the alt art? Personally I really want Jenara to be reprinted in new art as my new commander.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

Samael posted:

After buying FTV angels for well over MSRP because being able to get a foil iona, foil avacyn AND beautiful foil akromas from terese nielsen was too much to not preorder one, what do you think will be in the rest of FTV Angels and which ones will get the alt art? Personally I really want Jenara to be reprinted in new art as my new commander.

Would love to see Selenia but sadly she's on the reserved list. Linvala would be pretty sweet, especially with new art.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Baneslayer and Platinum are both pretty iconic.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

That's a fair point, redemption is big, but I think that Wizards has the thinking power to get through it. Like tgijsola said, MTGO is in a weird model right now and that's part of the issues with it. Maybe with Duels being free they'd start looking towards that? Maybe a Hearthstone-esque model where you buy cards in-game, but real money can still be spent?

Samael posted:

I think that we'll see an artifact Angel. Copper-Leaf Angel is pretty poo poo, so it's between Filigree Angel and Platinum Angel. The former is neat, but kind of niche, and it was reprinted in C13, and while the latter has had more printings, it's a bigger, splashier effect that would fit into FTV with new art. Not that the Brom art is bad, but four printings with the same art... :eh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

Hellsau posted:

I'd be happy for MTGO to not have redemption if packs are a dollar.

Yeah, my first thought was, is redemption actually the primary motivating principle here? I always viewed redemption as sort of a bandaid over the fact that they (for other reasons altogether) wanted to charge $4 for digital packs.

For those too young in Magic to remember, there was a time back around 2001 when people legitimately anticipated that MTGO at release would be some sort of $15 a month subscription thing like Everquest, or at the very least have extremely cheap product. This was considered a reasonable enough assumption that there was a noticeable amount of community disbelief and backlash when the pricing scheme was finally announced. I don't think anybody would have seriously expected to be able to redeem cards one-for-one under an all-you-can-draft for $15/mo plan, yet that sort of plan was what people were eagerly anticipating.

But I don't know, after a decade of paying top dollar for digital objects but with the figleaf of redemption tucked politely over it all, maybe people have just been conditioned to think differently.

• Locked thread