Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

You have the legal right to three feet (in most states anyway) distance between you and the car, and you should be leaving yourself some room on the right in case you have to maneuver around something you won't be going into the car lane. If there is not enough room in the lane (say a road with a concrete or raised divider like in some residential areas) you are ok to take the lane to prevent a car from passing in an unsafe manner.

in more than a few states, bikes have the legal right to be treated as car traffic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

can you imagine being the civil engineer who spotted the trouble when they were pouring the 7th floor?

i can :getin:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dislike button posted:

my friend got banned from uber for farting in the guys car. the driver wouldnt let him roll the windows down so he let one rip and the dude flipped out saying 'i am not a cab driver this is not a cab' and got him blacklisted on the app. lol

i would not appreciate a jitney hack telling me i couldn't roll the window down for any reason

like seriously i need to make an aerofoil out of my hand right now and i'm paying you money to sit in your upjumped mitsubishi

did he ask the driver permission and was refused or did it have a child safety lock?

god imagine riding with some hacker news/redditor who knew the best way to get a clean draw with his loosely triggered glock from the left side

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

you also left out the part where the motorist will never be convicted or even charged with anything at all no matter how egregious it is.

Oh yeah I figured that was implicit. The only solace you will get is a meager payout from their insurance company and the satisfaction that their car insurance costs will be 1000x higher for the next 5 or whatever years, assuming you are not dead.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
my brother just told me he got an uber ride from a guy driving a Tesla

lol

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

was it deadmau5?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
when i ride around the city i just take the whole lane gently caress all ya'll we're hitting reds ever 25 seconds anyway

most of the time when someone tries to get real aggressive i go to the side and let them pass and then end up in front of them again anyway because drivers are morons

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

PLATONIC ANAL VORE posted:

when i ride around the city i just take the whole lane gently caress all ya'll we're hitting reds ever 25 seconds anyway

most of the time when someone tries to get real aggressive i go to the side and let them pass and then end up in front of them again anyway because drivers are morons
goddammit don't filter at a red if you're taking the lane

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Captain Cool posted:

just want to get j hooked, bro. livin on the edge

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Captain Cool posted:

im not? im saying if someone is right on my rear end while im taking a lane ill move over and let them pass but they usually end up behind a streetcar or something and then im in front of them again

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

:engleft:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
tech buble: lol if you are not white

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

im not? im saying if someone is right on my rear end while im taking a lane ill move over and let them pass but they usually end up behind a streetcar or something and then im in front of them again
alright man I just get pissed at cyclists who want it both ways, when I take the lane I stay in the middle until the lane gets wider, even if it means getting stuck behind a car, and that means I'm not passing many cars unless a left turn lane is backed up I guess

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
since bikers are usually wealthy/their children/upcoming wealthy riding their multiple thousand dollar bikes,I don't feel too bad when they get hit thinking they own the road because they don't cause pollution or whatever. yeah good job making the single working mother driving to her job late that was just trying to make ends meet. :downs:

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

fits my needs posted:

since bikers are usually wealthy/their children/upcoming wealthy riding their multiple thousand dollar bikes,I don't feel too bad when they get hit thinking they own the road because they don't cause pollution or whatever. yeah good job making the single working mother driving to her job late that was just trying to make ends meet. :downs:

most bikers I know including myself are grad students riding 3 figure shitbikes, mostly used. sharing the road is nice but protected, separated bike lanes are nicer.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

fits my needs posted:

holy poo poo that's an incredible strawman

here bike riders are guys with too many duis who don't ride the bus

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i don't really bike commute anymore. it's a really frustrating and discouraging experience even commuting small distance in supposedly bike friendly city.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
fits my needs you can gently caress right off

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

i don't really bike commute anymore. it's a really frustrating and discouraging experience even commuting small distance in supposedly bike friendly city.

i ride on the road, taking an overpass over the 101 that is scary as gently caress every day. it's 3 miles. there's a 6 mile route that has no road riding i'm considering switching to instead. i've had a few very close calls. drivers here have wised up to the fact that if a cyclist is shoulder-checking a shitton and signalling they are probably about to take the lane at least.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

yeah same, plus the streetcar tracks in Toronto make taking the lane basically a gamble with your life

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fits my needs posted:

get out of yospos

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

bartlebyshop posted:

i ride on the road, taking an overpass over the 101 that is scary as gently caress every day. it's 3 miles. there's a 6 mile route that has no road riding i'm considering switching to instead. i've had a few very close calls. drivers here have wised up to the fact that if a cyclist is shoulder-checking a shitton and signalling they are probably about to take the lane at least.

i take the bus these days. even though my bike commute was incredibly mundane i just don't like starting my day having to be hyper vigilant or someone will turn me into a paste on the road. not really a lot of fun imo. it turns out being marginalized and constantly fearing for your safety isn't very fun. who knew.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
yeah id rather relax on the streetcar for 30 minutes than feel like a rabbit in a fox den for 25.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

hth a lot of people who bike to work do it for health reasons or because their public transit sucks or both

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
that is also fair but I'd rather go to the gym than bike in traffic and public transit here is good

this is not me making GBS threads on cyclists, biking in the city sucks.

in other news, my startup just got acquired by newscorp so im off to go kill myself

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

theflyingexecutive posted:

hth a lot of people who bike to work do it for health reasons or because their public transit sucks or both

this is me.

also making cycling safer and less scary will help people get + stay fit and cut healthcare costs a bunch.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

in other news, my startup just got acquired by newscorp so im off to go kill myself

prepare to spend the next 18 months wondering if your retention bonus is really worth it

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I was cut off twice yesterday morning while biking to work. The first time I locked the back tire and slid about 10ft and stopped within a foot of the dipshit turning into the bike lane

few weeks ago I had a guy pull up next to me at a red and say a cyclist kicked his tire once and, if he finds him, he's going to "run the fucker down"

:thumbsup:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

take as many of your coworkers with you as you can god bless

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ayn rand hand job posted:

ethically speaking i can not imagine being the civil engineer who spotted that because i am not a professional engineer and am only one under industry exemption

i do not wish to breach the public trust of engineers by misrepresenting myself in such a position

It doesn't matter, my father was president of his state section of professional engineers and they tried to decertify someone who signed off on a terrible design (that he didn't fully supervise) that collapsed. It was an EMS garage to house ambulances and stuff and was obviously hosed up to anyone had taken 3 hours in statics. It took years to get rid of him.

These days their biggest enforcement teeth are disbarring you for not counting DEFCON towards your Professional Development Hours.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i've started using the nyc bikeshare thing to get to work lately and it's rly cool

that being said gently caress all cyclists forever

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

i've started using the nyc bikeshare thing to get to work lately and it's rly cool

that being said gently caress all cyclists forever

citibike owns but they're dragging their feet expanding it to places where it can actually become a viable part of the infrastructure and not a luxury option to lower manhattanites who already have good subways buses and cabs

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

like a good place for citibikes would be in midwood, so people could bike to the q or up to the 2/5 terminal at bk college

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
has anyone does uber, but for rickshaws yet

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

airbnb, but for swingers

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

that probably exists

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

computer parts posted:

has anyone does uber, but for rickshaws yet

reminder that the rickshaw was invented by an american

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

reminder that the rickshaw was invented by an american

everything good was :eagle: