Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

SubG posted:

But all that diffusion is almost entirely at the surface as well. Ever cured a piece of meat? Observed how you can literally pack a piece of meat in salt and yet it still takes weeks or months to dry out? That's because the diffusion of salt through the meat is that slow. And salt is pretty small and well-behaved so those Na+s and Cl-s get transported about as well and as quickly as anything will. Certainly more quickly than any bigass organosulfur compounds (like you get out of aliums) or god help you diterpenoids (from e.g. rosemary or some of the fat-soluble poo poo in the meat). So no, really, all that diffusion is primarily a surface phenomenon.

I mean yeah, what you're saying makes sense, but you also cure meat in a dry environment, not a wet one. Not to mention that curing happens between 45 and 60F, whereas sous vide is 120-150F. Transfer of fat soluble compounds certainly happens much faster at higher temperatures, infused oils and whatnot. You can even SV some fatback with your aromatics and salt to have a quick 1 day lardo, as opposed to waiting a week.

Not trying to throw around science-y arguments, this is just literally my experience with cooking, and I'm sure it's all been tested and documented somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
I'm glad I have this thread some life, for better or worse. Thanks for all the comments and interesting info behind it. I might just keep it simple with the seasoning in the bag and then apply a little bit more before trying out the charcoal chimney approach for searing the meat. Going for an Argentinian style steak with chimichurri sauce.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I mean yeah, what you're saying makes sense, but you also cure meat in a dry environment, not a wet one. Not to mention that curing happens between 45 and 60F, whereas sous vide is 120-150F. Transfer of fat soluble compounds certainly happens much faster at higher temperatures, infused oils and whatnot. You can even SV some fatback with your aromatics and salt to have a quick 1 day lardo, as opposed to waiting a week.
Yeah---and if you salted a steak like it was lardo and left it on for 24 hours I'm sure you'd get great transport of salt through the meat. But I really don't think that's what Kenji was talking about.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Not trying to throw around science-y arguments, this is just literally my experience with cooking, and I'm sure it's all been tested and documented somewhere.
Yeah, transport of poo poo through meat's pretty well explored territory in meat science. That's kinda my point.

And hey, new title, sweet.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
So I have done flank for 24hrs and 8hrs, and I definitely preferred the 24hr cook. What is the recommended time on skirt?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Random Hero posted:

So I have done flank for 24hrs and 8hrs, and I definitely preferred the 24hr cook. What is the recommended time on skirt?
A fairly by-the-numbers approach to either skirt or flank is 24 to 48 hours at 131 F/55 C. In general if you're looking at a skirt and a flank off the same primal the skirt will be the tougher cut. But there's enough variability between animals that you'll run into flanks that are tougher than skirts. Point being that if you're after a specific texture there's always going to be an element of just eyeballing it.

What temperature were you using, and was it the same in both the 8 and 24 hour cooks?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

SubG posted:

But all that diffusion is almost entirely at the surface as well. Ever cured a piece of meat? Observed how you can literally pack a piece of meat in salt and yet it still takes weeks or months to dry out? That's because the diffusion of salt through the meat is that slow. And salt is pretty small and well-behaved so those Na+s and Cl-s get transported about as well and as quickly as anything will. Certainly more quickly than any bigass organosulfur compounds (like you get out of aliums) or god help you diterpenoids (from e.g. rosemary or some of the fat-soluble poo poo in the meat). So no, really, all that diffusion is primarily a surface phenomenon.

And I want to point out, again, that I'm not arguing that you should add butter (or anything else) to the bag when you're putting meat in the puddle machine. Just that people keep throwing out theoretically science-y sounding arguments that contain fundamental errors.

This is dead wrong, curing takes that long because of the drying process not because of salt transport, which happens incredibly fast. The actual curing process only takes a day to a week to finish depending on the size of the meat, the rest is drying, if it actually took a month for the salt and nitrite to transport you'd be loving dead.

Seriously gently caress off with your "I'm going to read a straw man into this four word statement so I can wave my scientific dick around and distract everyone with the fact my advice was wrong". I paraphrased the article from memory and forgot it was the herbs and not the meat that was the issue, the point was don't put butter in the bag. My scientific training may not be as good as yours but its good enough to spot a jackass who's very good a one field or another so thinks he knows everything about everything and uses bluster and jargon to bludgeon people who don't know any better into thinking they know what they're talking about.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
What is peoples preference for steak times/temps/cuts? I'm wondering if 131f is too high when aiming for medium rare. It says on serious eats not to cook for more than 2 and a half hours if under 130f but I can't find out why

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Jose posted:

What is peoples preference for steak times/temps/cuts? I'm wondering if 131f is too high when aiming for medium rare. It says on serious eats not to cook for more than 2 and a half hours if under 130f but I can't find out why

I generally go for like 132-134 depending on how I'm feeling. And you don't go longer than that under 130 because of bacteria. IIRC food doesn't Pasteurize below 130.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Jarmak posted:

This is dead wrong, curing takes that long because of the drying process not because of salt transport, which happens incredibly fast. The actual curing process only takes a day to a week to finish depending on the size of the meat, the rest is drying, if it actually took a month for the salt and nitrite to transport you'd be loving dead.
Drying time is certainly a factor, but unless you're talking about a relatively thin cut of meat diffusion of salt will take longer than a day or so at curing temperatures. The process is wildly nonlinear and is dependent on temperature and the molecule being transported, but in any event, the rate of transport drops off fairly rapidly. Here's a graph of salt diffusion distance from a guy who actually did some experiments on the subject (all the journal articles I turned up from a quick search are behind paywalls):

Note that this is for salt in a wet brine, not a rub (as noted in the text).

The reason why food safety isn't an issue is because (assuming you're using a properly-prepared piece of meat from a healthy animal) spoilage is going to happen, just like curing, from the surface in.

Jarmak posted:

Seriously gently caress off with your "I'm going to read a straw man into this four word statement so I can wave my scientific dick around and distract everyone with the fact my advice was wrong". I paraphrased the article from memory and forgot it was the herbs and not the meat that was the issue, the point was don't put butter in the bag. My scientific training may not be as good as yours but its good enough to spot a jackass who's very good a one field or another so thinks he knows everything about everything and uses bluster and jargon to bludgeon people who don't know any better into thinking they know what they're talking about.
Sorry you're taking it that way.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

SubG posted:

Drying time is certainly a factor, but unless you're talking about a relatively thin cut of meat diffusion of salt will take longer than a day or so at curing temperatures. The process is wildly nonlinear and is dependent on temperature and the molecule being transported, but in any event, the rate of transport drops off fairly rapidly. Here's a graph of salt diffusion distance from a guy who actually did some experiments on the subject (all the journal articles I turned up from a quick search are behind paywalls):

24 hours is for something like tasso, tocino, duck breast or sausage, things like brisket or bacon take a week (sometimes 10 days). The longest part of the curing process is the drying, not the salt transport, you don't even hang the stuff until its fulled cured. That link stops at 24 hours so its pretty useless for this discussion, also he's talking about brining, which is a super inefficient method of curing because of equilibrium issues with the solution unless you continuously add more salt (which you know you're supposed to do if you're trying to cure something big with salt in a brine, and he didn't), not to mention you said "packed in salt" which is how I do all of my cured products.

I have journal access

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm reading that salting before sous viding is a generally bad idea. What are the rules of thumb here? I just dropped an eye of round roast in that I salted like I would if I was going to actually roast it, how hosed is it?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I always have bag juice and salting doesn't seem to affect the amount but the salt is absolutely absorbed into the meat

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

baquerd posted:

I'm reading that salting before sous viding is a generally bad idea. What are the rules of thumb here? I just dropped an eye of round roast in that I salted like I would if I was going to actually roast it, how hosed is it?
I've done steaks both with and without salting before bagging, and I haven't found that it changes the flavor too much versus salting right before searing. It'll be tasty.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
What do you all recommend for chicken? this is just under a pound of chicken tenders (bought in error.) 144F for two hours.

They're oddly textured... slightly stringy. My torching method needs work, but that's not to blame here.

One of the tenders on this plate was exactly how I wanted it, the others seemed just a bit too soft. I didn't take any during-cook photos but they were sort of wadded up. Maybe this tender that tasted perfect had a different level of exposure to the water.

<edit> ALSO... if I try something with bones/cartilage/skin... How should I cook differently?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

When you do lower temperatures with breast meat I've found you get that softer juicier texture some people dislike.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

I've done steaks both with and without salting before bagging, and I haven't found that it changes the flavor too much versus salting right before searing. It'll be tasty.

If you do the right amount of salt far enough ahead it will have the same protein denaturation effect from brining (or even closer to curing, depending on concentration). Some people don't like this, I for one like to salt my steaks for at least 24 hours because I like the slightly cured flavor/texture.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

meh.com (the original woot people) has a refurb vacuum sealer today for $15. https://meh.com

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

meh.com (the original woot people) has a refurb vacuum sealer today for $15. https://meh.com

Sure why not

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Thank you, ordered

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Jarmak posted:

24 hours is for something like tasso, tocino, duck breast or sausage, things like brisket or bacon take a week (sometimes 10 days). The longest part of the curing process is the drying, not the salt transport, you don't even hang the stuff until its fulled cured. That link stops at 24 hours so its pretty useless for this discussion, also he's talking about brining, which is a super inefficient method of curing because of equilibrium issues with the solution unless you continuously add more salt (which you know you're supposed to do if you're trying to cure something big with salt in a brine, and he didn't), not to mention you said "packed in salt" which is how I do all of my cured products.
Man, I don't even know what you're trying to argue but if it makes you feel better we can pretend I never uttered those incendiary words, `butter's fine'.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Awesome, thanks!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Thanks, picked one up with two rolls of plastic from Amazon.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
They sucked the air out of an ice cream cone. MONSTERS

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Damnit, all gone.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
New to sous vide and read the past 20 pages, great stuff. I just got my Anova Precision Cooker off this site for $137.99 + 15 shipping: https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/anova-precision-cooker-d5fafa05-e27f-4c1a-b07a-be1b0369cb8b/precision-cooker. It's one of those sites where you have to be a member like Gilt.

New users get $5 off.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

baquerd posted:

I just dropped an eye of round roast in that I salted like I would if I was going to actually roast it, how hosed is it?

Trip report. After the prescribed 30 hours at 131, it was mushy and sort of dry. I'm not having any luck at all with the longer sous vide recipes, they all seem much worse than traditional methods. I did get a beautiful 2" thick strip steak done that was quite nice though.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I have no idea what an eye of round roast is but Google shows me pics of a hunk of meat vaguely akin to a tritip. I do tritips for 6 hours and a lot of people do them for less. 30 sounds like a rather long time, so if it came out mushy that's probably why.

Even the same cuts of meat seem to vary a lot depending on where you live/buy, and everyone's tastes are different, so expect a lot of experimentation at first. ie. Everyone always seems to be blown away by sous vide short ribs, but it took me a more than a year before I figured out a method that produced something I really liked (and it really is loving delicious).

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
So, I'm trying to do bone-in skin-on chicken thighs for shredding. I thought I had a recipe for this but it turns out it's for breasts, not thighs. I'm having trouble finding a solid recipe or instructions for doing thighs like this. Has anyone else done this?

I'm seeing temps between 150 and 170 recommended with times from 1.5 hours to 12 hours...

Oae Ui fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 30, 2015

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Oae Ui posted:

So, I'm trying to do bone-in skin-on chicken thighs for shredding. I thought I had a recipe for this but it turns out it's for breasts, not thighs. I'm having trouble finding a solid recipe or instructions for doing thighs like this. Has anyone else done this?

I'm seeing temps between 150 and 170 recommended with times from 1.5 hours to 12 hours...

I do bone-in skin-on thighs at 150 for 90 minutes and then sear them, but you should be able to shred them instead.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

here's a chart from chefsteps that lists temperatures for sous vide: http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-time-and-temperature-guide

there's also a printable one halfway down the page.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
some temp guidelines here, even if it's for crispy skin chicken thighs

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-thigh.html

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I don't really see why you wouldn't just braise chicken thighs for shredding

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Is anyone else's Sansaire rusting around the screw clip on the heating coil?

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.

Jose posted:

I don't really see why you wouldn't just braise chicken thighs for shredding

I wanted to see if doing them sous vide and keeping the temp strictly controlled would make them more moist and flavorful.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

toplitzin posted:

Is anyone else's Sansaire rusting around the screw clip on the heating coil?

I am getting a good amount of rust in general I think.

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009
I found this PID on amazon $30:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V4TJR00?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A1T3LOAKNUUM9N

Looks fine, even if it only has a few reviews, I'll grab one and if it's crap I can try to build my own (or just say hell with and buy the dorkfood).

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Doing a new experiment with sausages: since Kenji et al reccomend simmering sausages and many emulsified sausages are gently pre poached or pre smoked I'm trying "poaching" my fresh sausages sous vide the day before and then just searing them/reheating them on the grill tomorrow (similar to what you'd do when you make hot dogs).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah, post your review when you get it, if a viable PID solution is out there for $30 that'll really lower the barrier of entry for newcomers

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Jarmak posted:

Doing a new experiment with sausages: since Kenji et al reccomend simmering sausages and many emulsified sausages are gently pre poached or pre smoked I'm trying "poaching" my fresh sausages sous vide the day before and then just searing them/reheating them on the grill tomorrow (similar to what you'd do when you make hot dogs).

Did myself that a few weeks ago and it worked out well. I sautéed some onions and then added a little beer, and threw that in the bag with some bratwursts. Also did some Italian sausages, and I sautéed some bell pepper and onion along with some apple cider vinegar, a couple tablespoons of sugar, and a few herbs and put that all in the bag. Afterwards I grilled the sausages a bit to crisp them up and served with the onions and stuff from the bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I finally got the kinks worked out of my propane torch assembly today, and I celebrated by vizzling some beef ribs then finishing them off with the torch. It was definitely some of the best beef I've ever put in my mouth.