Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

FogHelmut posted:

This TaoTronics TT-CD04 is on sale for $40 today with coupon. This is impulse buy territory, but I'd rather spend more on something proven. Any thoughts?

Do you have a link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Krakkles posted:

Tuck them behind the headliner and side trim. The pry tool you mentioned is perfect for this, and it's easier than it looks.

I looked up this video for my Honda Fit, but the process should be similar for most vehicles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUHAQvThsvY

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Tuck them behind the headliner and side trim. The pry tool you mentioned is perfect for this, and it's easier than it looks.

Ok, I'll try harder. It felt like I couldn't jam them in any further but I'll give it a shot using the tools.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Magnus Praeda posted:

Do you have a link?

Sold out, I didn't buy one

http://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Dashboard-Accident-Recorder-TT-CD04/dp/B00KAY2DJM

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Lorry needs to make up his goddamn mind where he wants to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix25EE3220c

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Well, I finally have something to post in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uArmOZS5E1k

Everyone was looking at the postal van that hit something.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Vorkosigan posted:

Well, I finally have something to post in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uArmOZS5E1k

Everyone was looking at the postal van that hit something.

That took me a while to twig that the second half of that video was from your Tailend Charlie

(I like the sound of your engine)

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

spog posted:

That took me a while to twig that the second half of that video was from your Tailend Charlie

(I like the sound of your engine)

Thanks, we're both 2015 Scat Packs on our way to a cruise.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Yeah that was pretty cool having the two different feeds back to back. Dude really slammed into that Volvo.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
I purchased one of those TaoTronics TT-CD04 cameras when it was on sale. I mounted it in my car this weekend, and on the way in to work on Monday...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YZT5tS5t-E

The puddle he hit wasn't that deep, but we have two year inspections here so I'm guessing his tires were bald as gently caress. You'll notice he somehow slides between the middle lane and right lane cars, it's kind of majestic.

Also, after seeing that crash in real life and in the video, it's amazing how much the wide angle distorts distances.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Got the 806 installed and immediately after picking up a couple of SD cards a guy in a pickup threw a flashlight at me for turning near him. Hadn't turned the mic on yet, so there isn't audio of him trying to go fast and block me before the merge ahead. I rolled down my window to see what he was yelling about and he threw a flashlight that landed in my other seat. It's a pretty decent head mounted one, so I guess he was rewarding me trying to help him with traffic laws. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slWpjM8Ulko

Oh and one of the microsd slots doesn't have a functioning spring, so that card is gonna be in there for a while. It reads fine, just doesn't come out without a very small screwdriver.

Huh, the GPS quit at the stoplight. That's odd. It came back on later, I was using it to check if my speedo was off on the highway.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Sir Tonk posted:

Got the 806 installed and immediately after picking up a couple of SD cards a guy in a pickup threw a flashlight at me for turning near him. Hadn't turned the mic on yet, so there isn't audio of him trying to go fast and block me before the merge ahead. I rolled down my window to see what he was yelling about and he threw a flashlight that landed in my other seat. It's a pretty decent head mounted one, so I guess he was rewarding me trying to help him with traffic laws. :shrug:

Oh and one of the microsd slots doesn't have a functioning spring, so that card is gonna be in there for a while. It reads fine, just doesn't come out without a very small screwdriver.

Huh, the GPS quit at the stoplight. That's odd. It came back on later, I was using it to check if my speedo was off on the highway.

You kinda made an illegal turn there dude.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Two lane road, one left-turn lane for oncoming traffic. That might be one of those intersections where everybody just crosses from left-right immediately so it's a bad idea to make the right turn, but it's not illegal.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Godholio posted:

Two lane road, one left-turn lane for oncoming traffic. That might be one of those intersections where everybody just crosses from left-right immediately so it's a bad idea to make the right turn, but it's not illegal.

Lots of people do it wrong and assume that you can merge in that situation, but you have to yield to traffic that has a green light.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Ehhhh, we've both got a lane to turn into. I'd be amazed if I got a ticket before the truck got one for pulling into the outside lane.

Although I wouldn't have made that turn in one of my nicer cars.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

in Australia at least, closest to the lane has right of way.

So in your video, you have right of way and the others must wait.

Much like your scenario however, nobody ever does.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

It's perfectly legal here to make a right on red while the oncoming traffic has a green, as the only 'legal' way to make a left turn is into the left lane. I never actually do it though, because I don't trust the idiot making the left turn not to just plow into the side of my car in the right lane.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

Ehhhh, we've both got a lane to turn into. I'd be amazed if I got a ticket before the truck got one for pulling into the outside lane.

Although I wouldn't have made that turn in one of my nicer cars.

Traffic turning left may turn into any lane, unless pavement markings indicate otherwise :

Texas Transportation Code Sec. 545.101 posted:

To make a left turn at an intersection, an operator shall:
(2) after entering the intersection, turn left, leaving the intersection so as to arrive in a lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction of the vehicle on the roadway being entered.

You were totally required to yield to that truck if he wanted the outside lane and you didn't.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Laws must really vary on that. In Ontario you're required to turn into the inside lane.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Laws absolutely vary on that. Even between states.

Utah Title 41 Chapter 6a Section 801 posted:

(2) Left turns:
(a) the operator of a vehicle intending to turn left shall approach the turn from the extreme left-hand lane for traffic moving in the same direction;
(b) whenever practicable, shall be made by turning onto the roadway being entered in the extreme left-hand lane for traffic moving in the new direction, unless otherwise directed by a traffic-control device

Edit: That said, there are intersections where you know everybody's going to turn into the right lane and you're gonna get t-boned if you try to make the right turn and get in their way.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 30, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Yup, Arizona is pretty much the same.

quote:

28-751. Required position and method of turning
The driver of a vehicle intending to turn shall do so as follows:
1. Right turns. Both the approach for a right turn and a right turn shall be made as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.
2. Left turns. The driver of a vehicle intending to turn left shall approach the turn in the extreme left-hand lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction of travel of the vehicle. If practicable the driver shall make the left turn from the left of the center of the intersection and shall make the turn to the left lane immediately available for the driver's direction of traffic.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
crisis averted

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jul 30, 2015

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Sir Tonk posted:

Why didn't you stop at the loving red light? Not that he was right to throw anything at you but that wasn't a stop in any sense of the word.

I'm about to lose my goddamned mind at all the people I see on a daily basis rolling through stop signs and red lights.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Lots of those kinds of intersections have two lanes able to turn left, so doing a rolling-stop like that is especially unwise.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I'm too lazy to look up the laws in Dallas, but my understanding has always been to YIELD when turning right on red. The oncoming traffic obviously had a green arrow and thus the right of way. Throwing things isn't nice but you sure should have got the horn from that truck :shobon:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Too bad we don't live in the world of Demolition Man where everyone gets a ticket the second they break any traffic law at all. I'm sure everyone would be much happier.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Sir Tonk posted:

Too bad we don't live in the world of Demolition Man where everyone gets a ticket the second they break any traffic law at all. I'm sure everyone would be much happier.
Sadly, we do live in the world where dipshits like you will justify that they can do what they want and continue to do what they want, regardless of who it inconveniences or places in harms way.

It doesn't make assholes like the guy in the truck less wrong (throwing poo poo doesn't solve anything and it's dangerous too), but it makes me a lot less mad at them.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
OK fresh meat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZCx9Huij3M

Who's in the wrong here.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

That dude is clearly driving in the cow lane.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Sir Tonk posted:

So that's what it takes to get you to not roll through red lights?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Cartoon posted:

OK fresh meat

Who's in the wrong here.

Old McDonald.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Cartoon posted:

OK fresh meat

Who's in the wrong here.

The manufacturer of that camera for passing that off as a video recording device when it's clearly a flipbook maker.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

StormDrain posted:

The manufacturer of that camera for passing that off as a video recording device when it's clearly a flipbook maker.
It's a Response if you want to avoid buying one. It wasn't helped by my experiments in shake correction.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Even if you were (you weren't) driving on the right side of the road, the people in this thread would still tell you you're in the wrong because you're driving too fast on what looks like a dirt road. You cant win so stop trying

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Hes Australian, so he is on the right side of the road.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

OK, I'm down to the G1W vs the Mobius. I'm not terribly concerned about size.

Regular G1W is $42 on Amazon. Is the battery model that bad in the heat? The capacitor model is $63. I'm moving to Southern California and driving there from NJ, down south to New Orleans and then across through Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona.

Mobius is going to be $90-$100 with the capacitor. Is it twice as good as the G1W? I know its half the size.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

OK, I'm down to the G1W vs the Mobius. I'm not terribly concerned about size.

Regular G1W is $42 on Amazon. Is the battery model that bad in the heat? The capacitor model is $63. I'm moving to Southern California and driving there from NJ, down south to New Orleans and then across through Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona.

Mobius is going to be $90-$100 with the capacitor. Is it twice as good as the G1W? I know its half the size.

Reading through this thread: lots of people report problems with the G1W breaking. Nobody has had an issue with the Mobius.

And I am crazy, or did someone just post that their dashcam had been stolen by a neighbour, then deleted the post?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

spog posted:

Reading through this thread: lots of people report problems with the G1W breaking. Nobody has had an issue with the Mobius.

And I am crazy, or did someone just post that their dashcam had been stolen by a neighbour, then deleted the post?

Is that an overheating issue? Or just general poor quality? I understand the G1W has multiple manufacturers, which can vary the quality.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Scruff McGruff posted:

The G1W is ok if you want a camera on the cheap but expect to have to replace them after a year or so, I've gone through 2 so far (though my current one has been chugging along for about 2 years with no issues). Definitely make sure to get one with a capacitor instead of a battery, the batteries have been known to explode if your car gets too hot, even in the northern US.

The Mobius definitely seems to be the way to go if you ware willing to spend just a few more bucks, I don't think anyone in here that has one has complained about it.

There's also the Mini series (0801, 0803, 0805, 0806) which seem to be alright but IMO aren't any better than the Mobius and seem to have more firmware issues.

The general advice is if you are looking to get into dashcams for as little as possible then get the G1W (Make sure you get it from BlueSkySea, EPRANCE, or BlackBox), if you're willing to spend just a bit more, get a Mobius with capacitor and possibly a "C" lens (wide angle). If you have no problem spending a lot more money theres a decent list of excellent cameras.
  • A118
  • K1S
  • X1
  • Panorama S

Pivit posted:

Today when I went out to leave for work I found my G1W shell popped open and the very bloated battery hanging down by two wires. Glad it didn't catch fire.

Time to order a mobius.

Spatule posted:

I think what happens is everyone recommends a crappy camera like the G1W and people buy them then are disappointed, then the same happens again with another model like the mini 0801 which is full of problems too, so when yet another recommended camera comes out that's cheap and crappy looking like the Mobius, people say gently caress it and buy something so expensive "it must be good."

bobfather posted:

Man this thread is crazy. I guess $240 dash cams are what happens when nobody edits the first post to just say, gently caress the G1W and anything else. Just spend $70 on a Mobius.

Scruff McGruff posted:

My second G1W is acting weird so I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and commit to the K1S.

veedubfreak posted:

I bought my G1W in Feb 14, it worked for about 6 months, then took a dump. Nice waste of 70 bucks. I'm going to do the same and just get a K1S, especially since I'm about to spend a stupid amount of money on a new car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

FogHelmut posted:

Is that an overheating issue? Or just general poor quality? I understand the G1W has multiple manufacturers, which can vary the quality.

The only G1W series worth buying is the C version. But it’s far less common and harder to find a good deal on.

Otherwise, just buy the Mobius with the $8 supercap. And then you can buy the $20 waterproof case for it and go diving with it if you want, since it’s an action cam that’s made to stand up to all sorts of abuse.