Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah that would probably be doable. All it'd really need to be is a texture surface of what's essentially DO NOT RENDER IN THIS DIRECTION.

This is also something that Source can do :v: with a brush at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
On a different topic, I could use a little input on a design thing. One of things I've added as part of my ongoing upgrade is LCD screens showing general ship status regularly spaced throughout the compartments like so.

I was thinking I'd drop the Laser Antenna status for that of the Oxygen Tanks. Dunno what really else to add just for a general info update display.

Incidentally the corridor itself looks like this now with the new Sektan walls -

The lights that aren't on are for Dramatic Submarine Lighting when the ship[ goes into Combat Alert at the push of a button/Timer trigger.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Tutorials, unbreakable voxel mode, and easier to automate airlocks

quote:

Features
- tutorial scenarios
- indestructible voxels option
- air vent can trigger other blocks

Fixes
- fixed HUD never updating its status
- fixed issue with voxel hand breaking the toolbar
- fixed interaction after death
- fixed issue when making screenshots using multiplier in DX9
- fixed button panel not showing description
- fixed warp drive can end in generated asteroid
- fixed reorder clusters removes entity if it instantaneously moves more than a cluster size
- fixed made scenario settings hint visible in scenario edit mode

Random Encounter
Jul 19, 2007
Freeform for life
This update has made some people upset.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Random Encounter posted:

Oh god, why is that?

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Rhjamiz posted:

Oh god, why is that?
Because it is not planets, although reading through the spaceengineers subreddit, most people are OK with waiting for them.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Random Encounter posted:

I'm going to pretend those people are upset that the existence of tutorial scenarios makes this game "Too accessible to casuals"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well poo poo, guess I gotta go through and set up compartmentalization with the vents now, because that's insanely useful :sigh:. What's the cluster thing referring to, incidentally?

LegoMan posted:

Because it is not planets, although reading through the spaceengineers subreddit, most people are OK with waiting for them.

Planets are a big thing, literally and figuratively, and they probably want everything stable before even trying to push'em out to the public. I wouldn't be surprised if we're actually currently getting drip-fed bits and pieces of the build that Planets are on for the dev team.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hell just shoot for the obvious dumb comparison of "well Minecraft renders a shitload of blocks with lighting without going slower than an elderly driver, why cant Space Engineers?" With the exact same answer - Minecraft wasnt hacked onto a basic shooter engine. I like Space Engineers and all, but the engine really does need a multithread rebuild.

Also, to be fair to SE, minecraft doesn't run all that fast and it has had years of optimisation to get it to where it is now.

With the air vent thing, what's the best way to set this up for easier airlocks?

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Planets are a big thing, literally and figuratively, and they probably want everything stable before even trying to push'em out to the public. I wouldn't be surprised if we're actually currently getting drip-fed bits and pieces of the build that Planets are on for the dev team.
I"m not one of the mad people. I have lots of other games to play in the meantime and getting mad about planets(tm) is dumb.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Splode posted:

Also, to be fair to SE, minecraft doesn't run all that fast and it has had years of optimisation to get it to where it is now.

With the air vent thing, what's the best way to set this up for easier airlocks?

Nothing really for airlocks unless you're okay with losing air every time you open the outer airlock, its more useful for disabling vent output when the room is forcibly decompressed (ie; blown to hell and open to space) so as to stop them just dumping air needlessly and perhaps sealing compartments. Thank god I have so, so, many timer blocks on-hand :shepface:.

Seriously, there's like 200 of the fuckers in the central core.

edit: Finally got around to uploading the processing core from the Avalon on its own for anyone else wanting to do away with dozens of individual Timer Blocks.

Command Processing Core

LegoMan posted:

I"m not one of the mad people. I have lots of other games to play in the meantime and getting mad about planets(tm) is dumb.

Nah I never assumed you were, just making general commentary on it. I'm actually sneakily suspecting that Planets will be the big 1.100/2.0 Patch just to do something special for it.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 24, 2015

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Don't vents already refuse to output when they're not in a sealed room?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

GotLag posted:

Don't vents already refuse to output when they're not in a sealed room?

Yes, they do.

The update basicaly means that the vent changing its status can be used as a trigger signal for timer blocks or computer blocks - say, vent detecting a pressure breach in your main hallway, slamming down pressure doors in the area, and triggering a hull breach and atmo loss alert.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 24, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drake_263 posted:

Yes, they do.

The update basicaly means that the vent changing its status can be used as a trigger signal for timer blocks or computer blocks - say, vent detecting a pressure breach in your main hallway, slamming down pressure doors in the area, and triggering a hull breach and atmo loss alert.

Huh, I thought they just visually registered that the room was empty with the display lights and kept on pumping air out.

Also, look what popped up on the /scan during a test flight.

Of course there was only one thing to do;

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Of course there was only one thing to do;

:stare:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
They really need to just lock those update threads, and ban anyone complaining about the update not containing feature xyz.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also, look what popped up on the /scan during a test flight.

Did it already have that damage above the hangar bay? I've never actually encountered a ship.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GotLag posted:

Did it already have that damage above the hangar bay? I've never actually encountered a ship.

Nah, meteors dinged it a bit before I did. I've found the best way to go hunting for Exploration ships is to load up Midspace's /scan mod and start jumping in 40km intervals (assuming you have a 20km visual radius). It pulls almost no charge from the Jump Drives, and you'll hit something fairly regularly. One thing I did notice though is you forgot to give it any uranium or supplies. Most exploration ships have some contents in their containers, or at least enough fuel to power up.

I also found a rather nice big blue ship that I sent towards the Avalon to say hello.

It didn't like its new friend.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
After tooling around for some time looking for resources in my new exploration world, I decided it was time to get serious and set up a more permanent home. I've been living out of the Kuybyshev up until now, and had been mostly mining by hand to keep the fuel topped up until I came across a tiny pubbie-built miner drifting near some asteroids. I claimed it as my own and have been dragging it around with me as a temporary solution - I hadn't even bothered naming it or repainting it at all, which is unusual for me, since the first thing I usually do to a ship I've adopted is begin refitting it to suit my own needs.

It's the little yellow thing stuck to the aft connector there.

Anyway, I quickly refitted Kuybyshev with a compact (1x1x1) jump drive since I didn't have room for a vanilla one, and set about charging it while also refining away the ores I'd lazily mined. Once it was fully charged, I jumped back to a previously-saved GPS location I'd explored earlier and decided upon as a possible construction site. Both ships made the jump without any issues, and once I arrived I parked Kuybyshev over the asteroid where its solar cells were in full sun and began hand-building a worker ship from a blueprint underneath.

I started with a vanilla-parts-only, reinforced-frame GCV Mk.III, but as the build progressed I began to modify it. First I replaced the stock thrusters with the same type I'd used on Kuybyshev for some visual uniformity, which also gave me room for more of them (the DK flat thrusters are 1x1x1), then I briefly considered adding armament before realising it would take up too much space. I then dropped this in favour of upgraded welders, a more advanced sensor suite, and even a laser antenna under the nose for long-range communication. I ended up with a ship barely any larger than a standard GCV, but much more capable.

Next task is a more substantial miner, I think.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 26, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

rossmum posted:

Next task is a more substantial miner, I think.

You need a landing gear (or Maglock Blocks) on either the GCV or Kuybyshev to hold the GCV in place, otherwise it's gonna drift off when you decelerate or turn sharply while carrying it. Also with the Kuybyshev's general slender shape you could stick an Earthbreaker Drill on the front of it and call it a day for mining.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That hud is really good

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One of these is my standard work/cargo tug designed to ferry cargo pods and general pod-size ships (grinders and welders) to-and-from work sites (ie; likely whatever an Avalon-class Battleship just blew the poo poo out of to loot whatever's left). The other is my new aerospace version for carrying cargo down to planets without eating dirt at high speed.

See if you can guess which is which.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Under/over paintjob would suggest that the black and white one is designed for atmospheric travel.

Mortvert
Oct 13, 2013

What?!
This is amazing!
An update just dropped.

KeenSWH posted:

Summary
Inventory mass has been now enabled. This means that gravity will affect the ships based on their weight. The more items inserted to the cargo container, the heavier the container will be. The character’s weight is also calculated in the overall weight of the ship grid, but only if the character is actually sitting inside the cockpit. Mass is not calculated for stations. Additionally, a flying particle effect is now displayed on the screen, when the character or a ship is moving faster than 10 m/s. Lastly, we have added two new tutorials to demonstrate the essential survival elements of Oxygen and Energy. The oxygen tutorial covers the various oxygen related blocks, oxygen farms, generators, vents, bottles, tanks and ice, including their control panel functions. The tutorial also addresses the concept of creating an airtight room for pressurization. The energy tutorial starts with an explanation of how to recharge your suit energy which is followed by a series of small challenges that explain the behavior of power within Space Engineers and the different ways you can provide it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eImDioMgBcM

Dev Note: Since the anticipation for planets is very high and many of you want to know about the current status, we would like to share some info so we will not keep you in the dark. Planets are still under development and they are the number one priority in the game’s development. After the first internal iteration and testing, and since the last time that we shared some info about them, our team came up with some fresh and great ideas that will make this feature even better! So we made the hard decision to prolong the development a bit more but for a good reason. We are planning to share more detailed info very soon, so stay tuned!

Features
- inventory mass
- flying particle effect
- tutorial scenarios

Fixes
- fixed issue with textures begin too blurry on DX11
- fixed crash when jump drive aborts the action

So apparently it's a bad idea to haul tons of poo poo with you now. Welp.

Mortvert fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 30, 2015

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Wait... gravity affects ships based on their weight? I thought gravity didn't affect ships, period, unless they had an Artificial Mass block on them?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm 90% sure they mean Inertia or Momentum.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You need a landing gear (or Maglock Blocks) on either the GCV or Kuybyshev to hold the GCV in place, otherwise it's gonna drift off when you decelerate or turn sharply while carrying it. Also with the Kuybyshev's general slender shape you could stick an Earthbreaker Drill on the front of it and call it a day for mining.

Kuybyshev has a pair of maglocks on its belly, just in front of the ventral collector. The miner also has a landing gear. As for sticking a big drill on the front, I'd have to sacrifice my beautiful space vistas :smith:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

XkyRauh posted:

Wait... gravity affects ships based on their weight? I thought gravity didn't affect ships, period, unless they had an Artificial Mass block on them?

They probably mean the gravity of planets when they becomes a thing. If it was Artificial Gravity too, simply having it turned on would act like a gravity drive.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Evilreaver posted:

Yeah, based on the content of the video, it seems like none of them knew the words inertia or momentum. English isn't their first language is it? Their phrasing doesn't make much sense considering that objects of different mass fall at the same rate, something already modelled in the game (which is good because it'd be broken as gently caress otherwise).

This is a pretty cool little patch though, I haven't tried it yet but the particle effect should make it much easier to keep track of where your velocity vector is currently pointing.

And they promised they're working on the multiplayer :swoon:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Evilreaver posted:

Yeah pretty mich this. A fully-laden cargo/battleship is going to be more sluggish than an empty one essentially.

Good thing I seriously upgraded the thrust anf handling on mine, because the cargo bay's stuffed to the brim with spare parts and ammo :ohdear:. Gotta see how it'll affect my cargo tug when lugging loaded Pods about too.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Man, gravity and planets are going to open up so many interesting experiments.

I've decided that when they implement planets, I want to design a small cargo drop pod that essentially falls under it's own weight, and activates the station-keeping thrusters when it reaches X distance from it's target, preventing impact (hopefully).

If it works as I see it in my head, I can just fling things out of the sky and follow their GPS beacons later for clean up.

Fakeedit: I read about some people setting up guidance waypoints and getting ships to follow them/execute specific actions. Would it be possible to implement my idea, then have the pods navigate themselves to a loading dock on the planet and connect themselves, assuming I have some waypoints setup in advance?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Personally I'm hoping we get some randomly-spawning hostile creatures on planets, where they don't have to worry about that pesky z-axis or ship layouts. Hope you have sturdy perimeter walls to last the night...

edit: Well my own quick tests confirm that a fully-loaded cargo pod drops like a stone under the Enhanced Gravity Generators. Now I gotta redesign my aerospace cargo lifter :sigh:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 31, 2015

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Personally I'm hoping we get some randomly-spawning hostile creatures on planets, where they don't have to worry about that pesky z-axis or ship layouts. Hope you have sturdy perimeter walls to last the night...

edit: Well my own quick tests confirm that a fully-loaded cargo pod drops like a stone under the Enhanced Gravity Generators. Now I gotta redesign my aerospace cargo lifter :sigh:.

Space Bees.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rhjamiz posted:

Space Bees.

We all know for a fact that if animals/horrifying base-wrecking creatures are ever a thing on planets that someone's going to mod in big sassy Space Bees :allears:. Also goddamn, looks like all my aerospace subcraft now fall like a rock in gravity. Hoping that's just a thing with the Enhanced Gravity Generator mod that needs tweaking :ohdear:.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Is there some sort of voxel constructor that exports blueprints using the SE parts? I like designing ships but it takes soooo long to build really big ships, even using creative, that I tend to get bored before I finish construction. It's mostly from the tediousness of flying around while you build it. I wish I could just use my mouse to draw out the layers or something.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
If you're wanting to design something in creative, you could use the reflect tool thing to mirror your construction as you build it.

I forget how it works, but it saves a whole bunch of time.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Ohhhh that sounds great. I'll look into it. Is it baked in or a mod? I'm just getting back into the game and barely know what half of the new stuff is.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Pretty sure mirror planes have been in since the beginning. Press M to cycle modes (odd and even on X Y Z and then exit). Left mouse to place a plane, right mouse to delete one. N toggles mirroring on and off without removing it.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot tomorrow. I mostly used stock ships and modified them and messed with huge supply chains previously. Even modding existing big ships was slow. This should help keep me from leaving another hollow hull somewhere in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I redesigned the broadside guns to space them out a little and reduce the chances of them blowing themselves up. It still happens a little, but not as much, and it's actually improved the firing arc of some of them. Not to mention looking better too. Where the windows and crew quarters were is now just solid armor 4 layers deep on the side. The crew quarters are now tiny 2x2 rooms (instead of 2x8) moved to the forward area of the main crew deck.

I also took the time to kick the poo poo out of it to see how the armor holds up from being shot at by a few of my small cruisers, as you do, and for a finale I plugged it with a few of its own gravity cannon shells. Those four big dents are from the dorsal armor stopping the shells cold. :stare:. Against most things those bigass bullets just leave big nasty holes in the hull and keep on going inside a short distance.

The gravity shells are bigass things that look like this and hit at the full 104m/s;

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot tomorrow. I mostly used stock ships and modified them and messed with huge supply chains previously. Even modding existing big ships was slow. This should help keep me from leaving another hollow hull somewhere in space.

Just to make sure; you do know you can click-and-drag rows of blocks out with Ctrl-Click or entire surfaces with Shift-click, right?

• Locked thread