Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Klaus88 posted:

I'm hopeful this gets the ball rolling on systemic police reform since we so desperately need it in the United States.

Why don't we have a condescending nod smiley?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Why don't we have a condescending nod smiley?

:mmmhmm: or :mmmsmug: work for you?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Klaus88 posted:

I'm hopeful this gets the ball rolling on systemic police reform since we so desperately need it in the United States.

Very likely not this specific event but the cavalcade of this poo poo finally being reported on in national news and the according riots and protests, the totality of all of that, is what will.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Sorry all, I'm new to D&D and this thread.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I have a very simple pro going the relevant threads under RSF: Election Erection argument. It goes like this: :redhammer:

There is a general Primaries thread and a specific Hillary vs. Bernie deathmatch thread. Have fun.

I encourage poster to report election-related derails, as there is way too much happening in US politics to turn this thread into a mirror GOP Crazy: So What/Hillary Is Of the Devil warzone.

Ah. I couldn't find the Primary thread because it's in a subforum I didn't see. Thanks!

blue squares fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 30, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

greatn posted:

People have made pro Hillary arguments, in this very thread, which by the way is not the primary thread or Hillary slapfight thread.

It's unbelievable hyperbole that you haven't heard anyone make a pro Hillary argument.

I have a very simple pro going the relevant threads under RSF: Election Erection argument. It goes like this: :redhammer:

There is a general Primaries thread and a specific Hillary vs. Bernie deathmatch thread. Have fun.

I encourage poster to report election-related derails, as there is way too much happening in US politics to turn this thread into a mirror GOP Crazy: So What/Hillary Is Of the Devil warzone.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Klaus88 posted:

It's not. It terrifies me to think about the scale of what would need to happen in order for systemic police reform in America and even then half the country would bitterly oppose it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Klaus88 posted:

:dogbutton:

Holy Christ on a bicycle built for two.

It's going to get worse before it gets better. A white person might get shot, perhaps.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's going to get worse before it gets better. A white person might get shot, perhaps.

The white person will get shot by a black cop and racists will hijack the narrative.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Luigi Thirty posted:

White people are already being shot by the police, people just don't particularly care too much. A few years back in Madison, a drunk white man walked into his neighbor (and friend's) home and got killed by a cop for it. People were upset but nothing particularly much happened about it. Several months ago a black teen got shot and killed after he charged a cop, citywide protests.

All that's going to happen if a white person gets unjustifiably murdered by a cop is that the rest of the white cohort in America is just gonna shrug and go "He must have deserved it in some way" since no one they know has ever gotten into trouble with the police ever before unless they were actually actively being antagonistic towards the police. Therefore, if a white person got shot by a cop, they must have been white trash who attacked the cop, right? Now pass me the beer. But it's starting to grow, the idea of all this is starting to grow in public consciousness that black people are repeatedly and consistently hosed by the police. More incidents like Baltimore and Cincinnati will just solidify that belief.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

blue squares posted:

Hey Mulva since you post a lot, lemme ask: What excites you about Hillary Clinton?

Her institutional knowledge. She knows the Executive, she knows the Legislative and has a pretty good handle on the Judiciary; and quite frankly I think she also has the ability to unite the party in a way that the President can't because of race.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
hillary is probably the most qualified candidate for pres we've ever had assuming that being first spouse gets you more presidental experience than veep

like most first ladies aren't that involved in the political process but i bet hillary was like right there up in it as much as she could be

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mulva posted:

Her institutional knowledge. She knows the Executive, she knows the Legislative and has a pretty good handle on the Judiciary; and quite frankly I think she also has the ability to unite the party in a way that the President can't because of race.

I also like Hillary's stance on education. She's the only potential candidate so far who's been consistently and demonstrably pro-education, which is an important issue to me within the Democratic field.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I have a weird gut feeling that racists are briarpatching by going against police reform, honestly.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I have a weird gut feeling that racists are briarpatching by going against police reform, honestly.

I think you might be crediting them with more intelligence than they deserve. In what way do you think racists would benefit from police reform?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Brannock posted:

All that's going to happen if a white person gets unjustifiably murdered by a cop is that the rest of the white cohort in America is just gonna shrug and go "He must have deserved it in some way" since no one they know has ever gotten into trouble with the police ever before unless they were actually actively being antagonistic towards the police. Therefore, if a white person got shot by a cop, they must have been white trash who attacked the cop, right? Now pass me the beer. But it's starting to grow, the idea of all this is starting to grow in public consciousness that black people are repeatedly and consistently hosed by the police. More incidents like Baltimore and Cincinnati will just solidify that belief.

This actually happened recently where a white 30 year old father of two (Troy Goode) was hogtied and placed facedown on a stretcher after getting non-violently rowdy after a concert. He told them he had asthma and couldn't breathe, he got disappeared for a couple hours, and then he was dead. All the police department said was they think he was on LSD.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jul/21/man-hogtied-mississippi-police-dies-wife-alleges-threats-hospital-visit

Most of the comments on the few media sites that bothered to report about it were just self-congratulation by racists about how when white people get murdered by the police, they don't burn things down like thugs and animals.

octobernight
Nov 25, 2004
High Priest of the Christian-Atheist Church

Fried Chicken posted:

story about LA cops killing a homeless man back in March just got a whole lot worse

loving hell. Straddle his chest, in full control of the situation, press the gun right over his heart in direct contact, and pull the trigger.

So we have body can and forensic evidence of this now. Christ

That story is a two-fer. Black, mentally-ill homeless woman picks up a dropped baton while this is all going on. She might've raised it in the air (not sure, the police will not release the video). She's charged with assault with a deadly weapon and might get life in prison. The police just needs to release the entire video of this incident because I'm sure the police story is full of poo poo.

quote:

The footage shows Carey briefly lifting the baton as police scuffle with Keunang nearby. It does not show her swinging the club or striking anyone, and the prosecutor says he won't try to prove she did so.

Instead, Denton said he will argue that Carey attempted to attack an officer by "picking up the officer's baton and raising the baton to strike the officer."

Bill Seki, a professor at Southwestern Law School and a criminal defense attorney, said that facing the officers with the baton was enough to bring an assault charge, but he added that prosecutors always have discretion in charging decisions.

octobernight fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 30, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Aerox posted:

Most of the comments on the few media sites that bothered to report about it were just self-congratulation by racists about how when white people get murdered by the police, they don't burn things down like thugs and animals.

Yeah, in my experience the response is usually either "Heh, see, us white folks don't riot when bad things happen to us" or "Where is the outrage? :qq:"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Brannock posted:

I think you might be crediting them with more intelligence than they deserve. In what way do you think racists would benefit from police reform?

If cops are less inclined to shoot people in general, future Dylann Roofs might be able to start even more havoc.

This is not a statement against police reform, I'm just thinking of possible ways it could backfire and that seems to be the obvious one.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LORD OF BUTT posted:

If cops are less inclined to shoot people in general, future Dylann Roofs might be able to start even more havoc.

This is not a statement against police reform, I'm just thinking of possible ways it could backfire and that seems to be the obvious one.

Cops aren't supposed to shoot people unless the person being shot is about to kill or seriously harm someone. I don't think keeping police from gunning down someone who just vaguely moves their hand toward their waistband is going to suddenly give mass shooters the opening they need to start a slaughter.

Especially since to my knowledge, the vast majority of mass shooters have started away from police in the first place.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I can't envision any possible scenario of police reform where they wouldn't put down someone who was actively engaging in a mass shooting. Virtually all mass murders start and finish before any police arrive on scene.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Brannock posted:

I can't envision any possible scenario of police reform where they wouldn't put down someone who was actively engaging in a mass shooting. Virtually all mass murders start and finish before any police arrive on scene.

A man is shooting a movie theater. The police arrive, but they cannot do anything for Ozero took their guns away to combat police brutality and the theater is a gun-free zone. "If only.. we had guns..." said the Police as they are mowed down by an AR-15.

-freep

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
A white person living in Beverly Hills and a white person living in West Virginia probably have very different opinions about law enforcement.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Few pages back but I think this is subtly placing blame on everyone but the cops.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Faustian Bargain posted:

Few pages back but I think this is subtly placing blame on everyone but the cops.

Still reads like the livers of Onion writers have given out from attempting satire and reality just telling them to gently caress off every step of the way.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Luigi Thirty posted:

P.S. They Kill Whites Too

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Klaus88 posted:

:dogbutton:

Holy Christ on a bicycle built for two.

Until cops are murdering wealthy white guys with impunity don't count on it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sir Tonk posted:

P.S. They Kill Whites Too

At a much lower rate, especially in the youth demographic.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

It goes without saying that you should never read comments, but don't read the comments unless you want to see someone's lovingly illustrated Hillary nudes.

I wish I were joking.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

:hellyeah:

quote:

Step right up, children of Ottumwa, Cedar Rapids and Sioux City! No tickets needed – just put on your 'Make America Great Again!'™ cap and make your way to the front of the line for a ride on Donald Trump's flying fortress.

It's the silly season in America's midwest, and for eleven days beginning on August 13 Iowans will converge on the state fairgrounds for livestock shows, country music, fried Oreos, games, carnival rides – and pitches from presidential candidates.

This year's main attraction, if Trump has his way, will be his $7 million Sikorsky S-76 helicopter – a one-of-a-kind campaign tool available only for children who want to see what cornfields look like from 5,000 feet above the dirt.

The billionaire told DailyMail.com on Wednesday in an exclusive interview that he's asked the Iowa State Fair for permission to set up the thrill ride at his own risk and expense.

'I'm going to try giving kids lifts in the helicopter,' he said near the end of a half-hour interview that ranged in topics from high finance to Hillary Clinton's 'low class.'

'You know, young kids. Yeah!' Trump said, sounding like a kid who's just built his first pinewood derby car.

'If I can do it – if I'm allowed to do it!'

The 52-foot executive chopper seats 12 people comfortably, including the pilot. It's unclear whether Trump would remain on board with young Iowans or remain on the ground to hand leaflets and stickers to their parents.

Odds that he'll get permission for the copter rides: 1 in 10,000. Still, visiting a grounded copter will be more exciting for most fair-goers than watching candidates eat corndogs.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Soonmot posted:

It goes without saying that you should never read comments, but don't read the comments unless you want to see someone's lovingly illustrated Hillary nudes.

I wish I were joking.

it depends what age the pictures are depicting

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
They also have free copter rides at the Gathering of the Juggalos and I honestly don't know which copter I'd be more scared to board.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Joementum posted:

They also have free copter rides at the Gathering of the Juggalos and I honestly don't know which copter I'd be more scared to board.

You must be at least this classy to ride the Trump Copter - - - - - - - ->

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Dammit, I always come up short.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Spun Dog posted:

You must be at least this classy to ride the Trump Copter - - - - - - - ->

It's a very classy copter.

Yes, there's leather. Yes, there's gold plating. Yes, he has custom branded bottled water on board.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
That is extremely classy and not at all gaudy and tasteless.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Iowa State Fair spokeswoman Mindy Williamson hates children, freedom, America, is probably a terrorist and doesn't want to #MakeAmericaGreatAgain.

quote:

“He is welcome to land his helicopter anywhere outside the grounds and take people on rides or whatever he would like to do,” Williamson said.

“But that will not be happening on Iowa State Fair grounds,” she added.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Iowa State Fair spokeswoman Mindy Williamson hates children, freedom, America, is probably a terrorist and doesn't want to #MakeAmericaGreatAgain.

I shall never awkwardly eat a corn dog again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

Willa Rogers posted:

Step right up, children of Ottumwa, Cedar Rapids and Sioux City! No tickets needed – just put on your 'Make America Great Again!'™ cap and make your way to the front of the line for a ride on Donald Trump's flying fortress.
For a second I was really hoping Donald Trump was barnstorming in a B-17.

• Locked thread