Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

zoux posted:

Given how hard Kitty comes on to Piotr I don't think that Claremont has a problem with creepy.

Claremont at least has the sense to have Colossus reject her when kitty is all "hey we're all gonna turn into brood and die, so let's get it on".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Claremont at least has the sense to have Colossus reject her when kitty is all "hey we're all gonna turn into brood and die, so let's get it on".

I thought that was an editorial decision to get Claremont to quit his poo poo.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Jiro posted:

I thought that was an editorial decision to get Claremont to quit his poo poo.

It's kind of a long story.

Claremont always thought of Colossus as being about 17 when he comes to join the X-Men, although the sliding timescale doesn't exactly play ball with this. He's "nearly 20" just after the first Secret Wars, when Kitty's yet to turn 15.

Either way, the age gap isn't huge and Claremont thought it would be cute if Kitty had a crush on Peter. That in turn resulted in the flash-forward relationship in the original "Days of Future Past" storyline, where Kitty and Peter are married and have had children. Claremont proceeded to play with it over the course of the next few dozen issues, with Kitty having a crush on Peter and Peter being too awkward to really respond, but by the end of it they were basically dating and it was relatively chaste.

Shooter eventually decided this had to stop, because it looked an awful lot like a 20-something man and a 13-year-old girl hooking up, and threw a wrench in the works with the original Secret Wars. Shooter wrote a subplot in that where Peter falls in love with a weird healer lady from an alien world, and it was specifically there to break Peter and Kitty up. Claremont rolled with it and got some good soap-opera beats out of it, including the famous issue where Wolverine takes Colossus out to a bar to get him drunk and beat the poo poo out of him, but they run into Juggernaut instead.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I hope werewolf Colossus makes it back to 616 continuity or whatever the main universe is gonna be called after Secret Wars. It'd be nice to see the character have an angle other than baseless self-loathing and "oh no I have to sacrifice myself to save X" plotlines.

Also the idea of a solid steel werewolf just tearing through zombies is so :black101:

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 30, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I hope werewolf Colossus makes it back to 616 continuity or whatever the main universe is gonna be called after Secret Wars. It'd be nice to see the character have an angle other than baseless self-loathing and "oh no I have to sacrifice myself to save X" plotlines.

One of the preview images has a bearded sword wielding Colossus in it, I don't know if that's the one from the future in All New X-Men or if it's from another book.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
For all the people touting Jason Aaron as a guy who lets his artists draw album covers, I'm not sure how "Two girls with medieval weapons making out while riding a solid steel werewolf that is battling a zombie army from across history in a dystopian wasteland" could be made more metal. So I think Gillen and crew have Aaron beat.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They could also be facing Ultron's swarm.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gaz-L posted:

For all the people touting Jason Aaron as a guy who lets his artists draw album covers, I'm not sure how "Two girls with medieval weapons making out while riding a solid steel werewolf that is battling a zombie army from across history in a dystopian wasteland" could be made more metal. So I think Gillen and crew have Aaron beat.

Sorry, it still doesn't beat

or

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

#BlackKnivesMatter

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Still want to see what happens with future galactus after that end.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wanderer posted:

including the famous issue where Wolverine takes Colossus out to a bar to get him drunk and beat the poo poo out of him, but they run into Juggernaut instead.

Which issue is this and is it on Unlimited?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

UXM 183 and yeah.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zoux posted:

UXM 183 and yeah.

That ruled. Thanks

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I've been reading comics for 30 years and this is the first time I've ever heard the Jim Shooter shut down Claremont making Illyana and Kitty Pryde a couple.

Anyone have a source on that story??

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 31, 2015

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Hollismason posted:

I've been reading comics for 30 years and this is the first time I've ever heard the Jim Shooter shut down Claremont making Illyana and Kitty Pryde a couple.

I don't think he did? It's just super easy to read a lot of the prominent friendships between women in Claremont's work as romantic, like how if Illyana was off the board somehow, the sword that was literally forged from pieces of her soul would inevitably end up with Kitty. The dude was a crazy subtext machine.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

zoux posted:

UXM 183 and yeah.

My favorite single issue of X-Men. Must read if you're interested in any of the characters involved.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Hollismason posted:

I can't think of anything specifically. However, lesbianism was clearly among Claremont's (many) fetishes, and Shooter was known to be very strict and fairly conservative, so it's pretty easy to imagine.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Oh, to be a fly on the wall at Marvel in the early 80s.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Gynovore posted:

Claremont. Claremont never changes.

My aunt went out on a blind date with him back in the late 70's or early 80's. She didn't like him; it was their only date.

Looking through the post Secret Wars listings it looks like Chris Bachalo will be drawing Dr. Strange? Cool!

I actually have some of his original art (well, colorist's pages) from Shade the Changing Man. Big fan.

bad day fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 31, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah here's some preview art of Bachalo's Strange:

Maybe they'll have Fraser Irving fill in for some issues like they did on All New.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I really liked the younger version of Strange from Ultimate Marvel Team-Up. It seemed like a really cool take on the character and the art by Ted Mckeever was awesome. Those preview pages look great, and he appears to be younger & more virile than the Strange we've always known.

Did they ever do much with Ultimate Dr. Strange? I've read most of the core Ultimate books but stopped reading after Ultimatum ruined everything.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah they had Dormammu pop his head like a grape.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gynovore posted:

I can't think of anything specifically. However, lesbianism was clearly among Claremont's (many) fetishes, and Shooter was known to be very strict and fairly conservative, so it's pretty easy to imagine.

JM Dematteis had to tiptoe around calling Captain America's neighbours gay in his run on the book, even though the entire point of those characters was to show that gay people are normal and Cap has no issue with them, unlike the Red Skull, who is a homophobe as well as a racist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bad day posted:

I really liked the younger version of Strange from Ultimate Marvel Team-Up. It seemed like a really cool take on the character and the art by Ted Mckeever was awesome. Those preview pages look great, and he appears to be younger & more virile than the Strange we've always known.

Did they ever do much with Ultimate Dr. Strange? I've read most of the core Ultimate books but stopped reading after Ultimatum ruined everything.

He was in an arc of Ultimate Spider-Man that also featured Ultimate versions of Daredevil, Shang-Chi, Iron Fist, and Moon Knight. It was called Ultimate Knights.

Of course in Ultimatum

zoux posted:

Yeah they had Dormammu pop his head like a grape.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

Yeah here's some preview art of Bachalo's Strange:

Maybe they'll have Fraser Irving fill in forever.

Fixed for me.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

zoux posted:

UXM 183 and yeah.

Huh that's funny I have this issue hanging on my wall because Colossus and Juggernaut are two of my favorite X-men characters. Guess it's time to read it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Elucidarius posted:

Huh that's funny I have this issue hanging on my wall because Colossus and Juggernaut are two of my favorite X-men characters. Guess it's time to read it.

No! It's collectible value!!!

Jiro posted:

Fixed for me.

His work on that one Limbo arc of All New was stunning and thematically perfect.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Strange using weapons makes me wonder if they're going to depower him some.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

It worked for Superman! :suicide:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

They've got the guy who's been doing Thor recently writing. Jason Aaron likes to write things which are metal as gently caress. :rock:

I'm not worried. Really looking forward, actually.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Jiro posted:

It worked for Superman! :suicide:

Are you implying it didn't? Because all the superman books are pretty solid atm.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nah, they said that he'll just bust out more magical weapons when needed. So rather than just stand around and cast spells he'll get more info the thick of things.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Kaleidoscope posted:

Are you implying it didn't? Because all the superman books are pretty solid atm.

Ehh I've said it in the DC thread, but I feel as if his Nova Flare feels like an easy way out to write a Superman story that doesn't have him able to fix poo poo so easily because he's Superman. Take for instance the arc currently in Action Comics, while really good, would work just as fine as when he'd have his powers anyway because Superman isn't going to vaporize some cops because they now know who he really is.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Strange's power level has always been "Whatever the heck the story requires".

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Yeah but an axe implies some serious violence. It'd be different for Strange for sure. Since he's a former surgeon I'd have considered something more...I dunno...classy like using his magic in battle then performing surgery on those that violate interdimensional law to lobotomize them so they can't break laws and do black arts or poo poo. A sort of Negotiator - Arbitrator - Contracts guy who keeps order between the realms, protects the 616, calls on the power of the hosts of his power and spells, and exercises a less brawling method of violence than an axe.

Eh.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
He was just jealous of Magik's Soul Sword.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Gatts posted:

Yeah but an axe implies some serious violence. It'd be different for Strange for sure. Since he's a former surgeon I'd have considered something more...I dunno...classy like using his magic in battle then performing surgery on those that violate interdimensional law to lobotomize them so they can't break laws and do black arts or poo poo. A sort of Negotiator - Arbitrator - Contracts guy who keeps order between the realms, protects the 616, calls on the power of the hosts of his power and spells, and exercises a less brawling method of violence than an axe.

Eh.

Doctor Strange by way of The Shadow. I'd read it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Gatts posted:

Eh.
Strange's whole thing is being unable to perform surgery though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Codependent Poster posted:

Nah, they said that he'll just bust out more magical weapons when needed. So rather than just stand around and cast spells he'll get more info the thick of things.

Awww, man. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Gynovore posted:

Strange's power level has always been "Whatever the heck the story requires".

Strange is the biggest jobber of the Marvel universe outside of his own stories.

• Locked thread