Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Super Waffle posted:

Astroglide.

No really

Makes sense, do you wipe or wash it off before priming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Did some work on Vulcan's base. It's getting there.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
If you are at Gencon and don't stop by the Badger booth for 80+ bottles of paint for $100, you are insane. That is all.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Indolent Bastard posted:

If you are at Gencon and don't stop by the Badger booth for 80+ bottles of paint for $100, you are insane. That is all.

Is it Minitaire?

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti

Indolent Bastard posted:

Ill be there saturday, and that is on my list as well as new malifaux models. Looking forward to spending all my money.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Please do not buy Minitaire paint.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

signalnoise posted:

Please do not buy Minitaire paint.

Why?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Quality varies wildly between batches. I had two bottles of Ghost Tint: Oil Discharge that when applied look entirely different from each other. Then there's the two bottles of yellow and orange ghost tint that are in fact, both yellow, because one of them got mislabeled.

The paints themselves leave a candy coat shine to them, which is easy to get around with some matte varnish, but it's a bit annoying nonetheless. Also, their metallics are straight-up garbage and the worst I've ever dealt with. If you use any of their ghost tints, they interact weirdly with Future/Pledge, so you need to hit them with (again) matte before you go for a gloss coat.

I got their paints for free so I can only complain so much, and I really do like their ghost tint line, but yeah they're not anywhere as good as the hype built them up to be. Badger needs to pay close attention to their quality control and maybe revamp their paint formula a bit. If you're looking for bulk paint for cheap, then 80+ bottles for $100 is a good bargain, but if you want some higher quality stuff then look elsewhere.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I made the mistake of buying the set. "It's so cheap and I love the colors!" Well turns out it's cheap because it's loving cheap. Not only is it not very good paint, it also has very strange quirks. For example, for some reason VMA metallics pool on them and vice versa. Why? Who loving knows!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Whoa, I had no idea. I have a set of the ghost tints because I bought into the hyped up video reviews. I've used the red one on on a dragon and it was OK but I wasn't super blown away. Figure I'll find a use for them sometime.
Guess I'll stick to Vallejo.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

crime fighting hog posted:

Whoa, I had no idea. I have a set of the ghost tints because I bought into the hyped up video reviews. I've used the red one on on a dragon and it was OK but I wasn't super blown away. Figure I'll find a use for them sometime.
Guess I'll stick to Vallejo.

They're ok for terrain

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

signalnoise posted:

They're ok for terrain
Well yeah, but so are craft paints from Michael's.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

SRM posted:

For real when I have to paint 50 bases dark brown then a lighter shade of brown I just have a big bottle of cheap poo poo from Michael's for the occasion.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

SRM posted:

At 100 bucks for 80 bottles there's not much difference in price either, fancy that

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

rantmo posted:

Makes sense, do you wipe or wash it off before priming?

Vegetable oil works, too, and is probably cheaper to come by with in large quantities. Dip your tool in it to keep the 'stuff from sticking to it.

An entirely free if a slightly gross option is to just, uh, lick at your spatula or whatever tool you're using, that keeps the 'stuff from sticking to it.

No matter what you use, it's probably best to wash your mini before you prime it - especially with astroglide and oil of any description. Use lukewarm soapy water and maybe a little toothbrush. I just usually leave my minis sitting in a tub of soapy water overnight, then give them a little quick scrub with a soft brush and a quick flush under the sink (make sure to put a rag or a wire mesh or something over the drainhole in case something falls off). I do the same thing for my FW stuff to get rid of the mold grease.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I've finally finished all the minis for Fantasy Flight Games' Relic as well as its Nemesis expansion. I'm feeling pretty good about myself, even though I didn't pace myself properly and started losing interest in the last few pieces (but kept a standard, so it's not apparent which were painted first and which ones last)

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Drake_263 posted:

Vegetable oil works, too, and is probably cheaper to come by with in large quantities. Dip your tool in it to keep the 'stuff from sticking to it.

An entirely free if a slightly gross option is to just, uh, lick at your spatula or whatever tool you're using, that keeps the 'stuff from sticking to it.

No matter what you use, it's probably best to wash your mini before you prime it - especially with astroglide and oil of any description. Use lukewarm soapy water and maybe a little toothbrush. I just usually leave my minis sitting in a tub of soapy water overnight, then give them a little quick scrub with a soft brush and a quick flush under the sink (make sure to put a rag or a wire mesh or something over the drainhole in case something falls off). I do the same thing for my FW stuff to get rid of the mold grease.

Well none of my minis are ever going to have lube on them, which is not something I would have anticipated ever needing to type, just the greenstuffed bases. I guess the core of my question is whether the generic, water-based lube I bought for this needs to be wiped off or needs to be washed off, and if washed if it's a soap situation.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

rantmo posted:

Well none of my minis are ever going to have lube on them, which is not something I would have anticipated ever needing to type, just the greenstuffed bases. I guess the core of my question is whether the generic, water-based lube I bought for this needs to be wiped off or needs to be washed off, and if washed if it's a soap situation.

I'd definitely wash them, and preferably with soap. Might not need to but it's a lot less of a pain than realizing your primer's flaking off. Pretty much everything but pure water leaves a residue of some sort afterall, and that residue might or might not prevent the primer from properly bonding with the plastic/resin/greenstuff/whatever underneath.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 1, 2015

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Painted my first Malifaux mini, forgot how hard it is when you're not just drybrushing metallics for Minotaurs. I'm embarassingly out of touch.

Tried to replicate the box art but this poo poo is tiny and I'm too crap for all those layers.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

Painted my first Malifaux mini, forgot how hard it is when you're not just drybrushing metallics for Minotaurs. I'm embarassingly out of touch.

Tried to replicate the box art but this poo poo is tiny and I'm too crap for all those layers.

That looks decent to me--some nice highlights and it's clear what it is. I don't have pics but I've been painting up a Marcus box to start playing soon and it's been a lot of fun, except for that stupid Jackalope. So tiny.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I've finally finished all the minis for Fantasy Flight Games' Relic as well as its Nemesis expansion. I'm feeling pretty good about myself, even though I didn't pace myself properly and started losing interest in the last few pieces (but kept a standard, so it's not apparent which were painted first and which ones last)

These are cool beans. Do you know if they sell these seperately? I want that sister.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Lord Hypnostache posted:

These pieces look awesome! I'd love to play Relic with painted duders.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Pretty happy with this base!

Bonus mud base to the right

Apologies for the kinda blurry BLOOM photos, but its really hard to actually photo them because of the reflections the mud effect is shooting off

Came out looking more like a forest floor than I wanted, but oh well

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Moola posted:

Bonus mud base to the right

Apologies for the kinda blurry BLOOM photos, but its really hard to actually photo them because of the reflections the mud effect is shooting off

Came out looking more like a forest floor than I wanted, but oh well

From the brownies you started with... those turned out amazing man. Looks really great!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
thanks dude!

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I liked the brownies but those do look even better. Nice gloss effects, and you varied the colors/materials on the base like I suggested, visual cues like that help trick the eye into seeing what you intend.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Moola posted:

thanks dude!

Looks good, that green stuff reminds me of seaweed and makes me think of a muddy bank of an estuary.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

ijyt posted:

Looks good, that green stuff reminds me of seaweed and makes me think of a muddy bank of an estuary.

or pot brownies.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Eh gently caress it I'm done

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it

:whatup:

On the subject of blackness, is paint + primer an acceptable alternative to plain hobby-store primer?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
That stuff tends to be thicker and glossier. I wouldn't recommend it, but in a pinch, maybe?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I Am The Scum posted:

:whatup:

On the subject of blackness, is paint + primer an acceptable alternative to plain hobby-store primer?

Find an automotive primer/spray. Something like Halfords Matte Black in the UK. Technically not a primer but its the smoothest thing I've ever used and is miles ahead of hobbyist primers.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Rad

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Jesus, if that's your "gently caress it", I'm looking forward to a model you think you put effort in.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Genestealer is hardcore creeping on that daemonette.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

That's a good looking spaceman.

Moola posted:

The chives are a nice touch

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

Jesus, if that's your "gently caress it", I'm looking forward to a model you think you put effort in.

Oh I put effort in, I'm just not satisfied with it but feel if I gently caress around anymore it'll just look worse. Overall I'm okay with how it turned out but know what I would do differently next time. Points for learning?

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it

Oh I put effort in, I'm just not satisfied with it but feel if I gently caress around anymore it'll just look worse. Overall I'm okay with how it turned out but know what I would do differently next time. Points for learning?

I think you're being way too hard on yourself. The only thing that seems off to me is that the red/yellow on the flames need to be swapped.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Painting my Ice Golem and I just noticed some small dust/hair specs on the model in places, stuck between paint layers.

Is there anyway to hide/get rid of them without damaging the paint job? I don't want to strip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

ijyt posted:

Painting my Ice Golem and I just noticed some small dust/hair specs on the model in places, stuck between paint layers.

Is there anyway to hide/get rid of them without damaging the paint job? I don't want to strip.

Depending on where exactly it is, you can scratch off the paint right there, then just prime it by hand and paint over it again.