Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Count Roland posted:

The Economist is starting a sort of "what if" series, and they have a break-up of Russia as a scenario:

http://worldif.economist.com/article/2/what-if-russia-breaks-up-the-peril-beyond-putin

THe famous "what if we paid a retard to write a series of articles for us" saga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

steinrokkan posted:

THe famous "what if we paid a retard to write a series of articles for us" saga.
I prefer to think of the entire article as a thin justification to publish this:

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
I think we finally have the US version of that "one Russian professor's prediction on how the US will break up" map.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Count Roland posted:

The Economist is starting a sort of "what if" series, and they have a break-up of Russia as a scenario:

http://worldif.economist.com/article/2/what-if-russia-breaks-up-the-peril-beyond-putin

Are they actually suggesting that Uralia and Siberia would separate, despite being overwhelmingly ethnic Russian and not really home to any separatist movements?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Are they actually suggesting that Uralia and Siberia would separate, despite being overwhelmingly ethnic Russian and not really home to any separatist movements?

Most one could imagine would be a warlord in regions with all the oil deciding they don't want to subsidize Moscow. Of course that gets into control of the army and all that.
Not too many places are likely to have ethnic movements --- Russia has been historically very successful at ethnic cleansing, after all.....

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Inspired by the trend of "greater nations" in Europe, I've sketched out the Greater Czechoslovakia, based 100% on historical holdings. It's a bit on the conservative side, but I say it's better to have space for growing than to be forced to shrink"!

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

QuoProQuid posted:

First map of the United States drawn and printed within the United States. It's creator, Abel Buell, was a known counterfeiter and copier. The map has literally no new cartographic information in it and is based on maps produced in Europe around the time.

F.U Connecticut! Pennsylvania uber alles! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennamite%E2%80%93Yankee_War

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

gently caress you too Pennsylvania! :mad:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_War

We were the rightful owners of the mouth of the Maumee River, and Ohio stole it from us.

I mean, Indiana stole land from us too, but they're not the home of Ohio State University so why would we have a rivalry with them?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Ofaloaf posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_War

We were the rightful owners of the mouth of the Maumee River, and Ohio stole it from us.

I mean, Indiana stole land from us too, but they're not the home of Ohio State University so why would we have a rivalry with them?

The only mistake Ohio made during the Toledo War is that we didn't keep going.

We never should have let Jackson sign the Michigan Enabling Act. It's been nothing but trouble ever since!

And, yeah, nobody cares about Indiana.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

supergreen!

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
must be nice to be a corporate tax haven

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.
The India-Bangladesh border is about to get a bit less fractal.

http://www.ndtv.com/cheat-sheet/for-india-bangladesh-land-swap-68-candles-to-be-lit-at-midnight-1202507 posted:

India-Bangladesh Land Swap at Midnight: Your 10-Point Guide
  1. Officials of two nations will hoist their respective national flags in 162 enclaves - 111 in Bangladesh and 51 in India.
  2. After that, the enclaves - pockets of one country's territory surrounded by the other - will cease to exist.
  3. More than 50,000 people who have been living in the enclaves will now access citizenship benefits such as schools, power and healthcare that they have lacked since 1947.
  4. There will be a ceremony on the stroke of midnight to light 68 candles to mark the years of stateless limbo since the end of British colonial rule.
  5. Parul Khatun, 35, a resident of an Indian enclave recalled how she was kicked out of a Bangladeshi hospital when she was about to give birth as she lacked a national identification card. "I'll be a Bangladeshi citizen who can enjoy all the benefits," she said.
  6. The parcels of land survived partition of the subcontinent in 1947 after British rule and Bangladesh's 1971 war of independence with Pakistan.
  7. Officials of both nations this month conducted surveys, asking residents to choose a country.
  8. The overwhelming majority of people living in Indian enclaves in Bangladesh opted for Bangladeshi citizenship.
  9. But nearly 1,000 people on the Bangladesh side opted to keep their Indian nationalities, meaning they will leave their homes by November for India where they will be resettled in West Bengal.
  10. In India, all of the Bangladeshis living in the 51 Bangladesh enclaves decided to switch nationalities.

More news coverage and such:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-33733911
http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/much-awaited-india-bangladesh-enclave-exchange-to-happen-at-midnight-tonight/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India%E2%80%93Bangladesh_enclaves

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

OddObserver posted:

Not too many places are likely to have ethnic movements --- Russia has been historically very successful at ethnic cleansing, after all.....

Russification. At least in the Crimea and, well, half the stans.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

steinrokkan posted:

Inspired by the trend of "greater nations" in Europe, I've sketched out the Greater Czechoslovakia, based 100% on historical holdings. It's a bit on the conservative side, but I say it's better to have space for growing than to be forced to shrink"!

And yet you somehow forgot the heirs of Bohemia's claim to the thrown of the holy roman empire and all its historic lands, and you call your self a nationalist. Its clear to anyone with a brain that you took a ma of greater Hungary and changed the label, armature.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

I think it's an ironic map meant as a reponse to that retarded US break-up map by that Russian professor.

It's not clear to me why Karelia would secede when it's something like 80% Russian at this point, with actual Karelians a tiny minority.

steinrokkan posted:

Already a better map than the break-up ones by virtue of showing some knowledge of history.

AlexG posted:

The India-Bangladesh border is about to get a bit less fractal.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-33733911

quote:

Jihad Hussein Obama, 5, is a symbol of the new freedoms enclave dwellers hope for

lol

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 1, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I remember a kid in preschool named Jihad causing a stir a while back, don't remember where I read that.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It was because their parents had made him a t-shirt that said 'Jihad was born on September 11th, 2001' or something like that. In France, of course.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm glad. Not only because those people are finally out of the poo poo were they couldn't get any services from either country.

But also because my favourite Baarle Nassau is now even more unique.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If I gave you the thesis that society has become more atomized over the last 40 years, what evidence would you have to support it?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Arglebargle III posted:

If I gave you the thesis that society has become more atomized over the last 40 years, what evidence would you have to support it?

Probably decreasing church and other social group participation rates.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Media consumption; the Internet; housing patterns.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Indicators re: housholds (size/makeup) and commutes (time/distance).

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I'd just throw a copy of Bowling Alone at you until you left me alone

(Bowling Alone sucks)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Vorpal Cat posted:

And yet you somehow forgot the heirs of Bohemia's claim to the thrown of the holy roman empire and all its historic lands, and you call your self a nationalist. Its clear to anyone with a brain that you took a ma of greater Hungary and changed the label, armature.

Do not mistake the German mongrels in control of Bohemia who won the Empire for Czechs, Bohemia was an elector of the Empire, but not a heir to the Imperial throne per se.

The map includes the Principality of Bohemia under Boleslav I, which reached into Ukraine; the Kingdom under Václav II, which included Poland, and under Václav III, which included Hungary; and, obviously, the land conquered quite legitimately during the Great War.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 1, 2015

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

the decline in the average number of sex partners characteristic of American millennials.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Squalid posted:

the decline in the average number of sex partners characteristic of American millennials.

Social atomization, described by people such as Z. Bauman, has nothing to do with sexuality. The confused trend of substituting completely pointless sexual data for solid class data based on objective property relations is a major factor in disenfranchising the Western worker.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

steinrokkan posted:

That's a pretty normal result for Bohemia in EU3, though.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

The map includes the Principality of Bohemia under Boleslav I, which reached into Ukraine; the Kingdom under Václav II, which included Poland, and under Václav III, which included Hungary; and, obviously, the land conquered quite legitimately during the Great War.

I don't know if it counts as a win for the Czechoslovak Legion if they had to run all the way to Vladivostok.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Phlegmish posted:

I don't know if it counts as a win for the Czechoslovak Legion if they had to run all the way to Vladivostok.

Czech's out.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Squalid posted:

I wonder how A Buttery Pastry explains the disastrous showing of the Scandinavian countries here.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Squalid posted:

Average Israeli has orgy with 10 people when they are 16? :vince:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Those statistics are absolutely insane. Wonder if there's a methodology issue like a self-selected sample.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Torrannor posted:

I wonder how A Buttery Pastry explains the disastrous showing of the Scandinavian countries here.

Better medical care and infrastructure means more people get diagnosed and treated. A Good Chart.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I assume they meant median instead of average, otherwise the age numbers are rather weird.

Antti posted:

Wonder if there's a methodology issue like a self-selected sample.

That's almost always the case with sex-related mass studies.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

420 Gank Mid posted:

Better medical care and infrastructure means more people get diagnosed and treated. A Good Chart.

75% of all Norwegians having unprotected sex is nothing positive.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I can think of something positive resulting from that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Phlegmish posted:

I can think of something positive resulting from that.
What does the 'average rate of sexually transmitted infection' mean? 20% of Norwegians and Danes have an STI? Or just of those who are sexhavers? What are they counting as STIs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
it's cold in the great north.