Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Let me tell you a little bit about this kid named Tyler Toffoli, 23, C(ish), $3.25m through 2017

He hails from Scarborough, Ontario, where he played in the boys league at John Muir primary school and maintained a 3.8 GPA through the 5th grade. I've been following his career for a while and I can tell you

He's got a big body
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaldHSqrrNA

And a big stick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDv_XTgu2gY

Which he uses to make big saves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UlMvHPDNrE

He's got a big shot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkR2hPPY1qY

He's got a great alliterative name. He hasn't been playing much center lately but they might see about changing that in Washington. He's weirdly on a bridge contract that's reasonable as hell for the next two years. Love his game, love his frame, I could stand close to him and talk for hours.

Tyler Toffoli. Did I mention he's young? Yeah. I like that.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Haha you fucker, I didn't take Toffoli this round because I thought he'd drop for sure

plus he just looks like a douche

tofes fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 31, 2015

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Habibi posted:

Let me tell you a little bit about this kid named Tyler Toffoli, 23, C(ish), $6.5m through 2017

Nice try, Habibi.
Giving out contracts like Holmgren over there.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Nice try, Habibi.
Giving out contracts like Holmgren over there.

The funny thing is I accidentally pasted that total value in instead of the cap hit and thought it was alright. Made things all the better when I realized my mistake.

tofes posted:

Haha you fucker, I didn't take Toffoli this round because I thought he'd drop for sure

Well la dee loving da. I have a feeling Sharks fans have a particular respect for him.

quote:

plus he just looks like a douche

Hmm....

Perfect!

Habibi fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 31, 2015

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Habibi posted:

The funny thing is I accidentally pasted that total value in instead of the cap hit and thought it was alright. Made things all the better when I realized my mistake.

Well la dee loving da. I have a feeling Sharks fans have a particular respect for him.

Really wanted Saad-Thornton-Toffoli

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Habibi posted:

Hmm....

Perfect!

Don't compare Claude to those two uggos. :mad:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

tofes posted:

Well I hope your guy wasn't Nick Leddy because that's who the Sharks are taking

gently caress.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Like 10 of my picks were taken this round gently caress ya'll. Sticking with our theme of jackass the Ducks take James 'the real deal ya'll' Neal. May he headshot the lot of you.
Even with a lower production since leaving the Pens I'm convinced he'll have a good season. The Preds are just as scary this year as they were last year and getting older helps this team more than hurts them.

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 31, 2015

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Another James.

James van Riemsdyk

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

T-Bone posted:

Another James.

James van Riemsdyk

I should have picked him put I can't bring myself to pick someone from the leafs.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'll go with Alex Galchenyuk. That guy is poised to be a star me thinks

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

With my next pick I'll take Tomas Tatar. Kid's super talented. I'm going to do some write ups in a little bit.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

So, The Nashville Predators, with a relevatory first round pick that opened the eyes of many to how good Tyler Johnson is have made the following picks to flesh out the team around the young superstar. With their second overall pick The Nashville Predators selected Justin Faulk 51st overall.

Justin Faulk has excelled on a terrible Carolina team the past few years. Amongst defencemen at even strength play he is 18th in total points and 45th in Pts/60 over the past three years, right behind Shea Weber. Last year on the worst Carolina team in recent memory he managed to put up the thirteenth most points at 5v5 and twelfth in all situations along with the lowest PDO of any top 20 scoring defenceman despite being 22. He's very offensively minded, a good possession player and is responsible defensively. He should be a solid 1st pairing defenceman for years to come. All this and he's under contract until he's 27 for less than five million a year.

With the 70th overall pick The Nashville Predators were set to pick Filip Forsberg and bring him home until he was picked four picks before. With no time to make a well reasoned pick they selected Jaden Schwartz.

It may also be Prince William moonlighting as a hockey player I'm not sure. Jaden Schwartz proved last year that he's among the NHL's best at only 22. An extremely skilled offensive player he managed to be the 30th most productive player at 5v5 play last year and 45th overall in all situations. He's unfortunately RFA after this year but his age and production were too good to pass up.

After having watched Ryan Strome, Hamper Lindham, The Nuge and others get snatched up The Nashville Predators agonized over pick 111 until finally selecting Tomas Tatar.

Tomas Tatar is another offensively gifted player that's promising to be an NHL star. He finished 46th overall in 5v5 scoring last year with 30 points and 24th overall in points. He has a sky high possession rating even amongst Detroit players with the highest relative Corsi number and lowest Corsi Against/60 minutes of any player in the NHL at 5v5 who played at least 400 minutes (~42 games) last year and only one player beats him in either category in all situations: Jake Voracek with a slightly higher relative corsi. This is of course partly to do with Detroit/Babcock's system since the top three players in CA/60 are Detroit players but either way he's a player who likes to hang onto the puck and outperforming fellow Detroit players in terms of possession is a really good sign this guy is special. He's only under contract for two more years but is still an RFA at the end of it.

As of now our team is structured as such:

Schwartz - Johnson - Tatar
? - Faulk

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Tomas Taters

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

tofes posted:

Tomas Taters

Thomas*

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SAosbLOXoI

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

The Los Angeles Kings select C Nick Bjugstad

starsfan youre on the clock at 10am

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
toffoli is overrated

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Verviticus posted:

toffoli is overrated

He's really really good at hockey though

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Florida Panthers select LW Andrew Ladd

Ladd is a good top line player who fairly consistently has put up 50-60 points in Winnipeg since taking over the leadership of that team, and the guy plays an effective role on both the power play and penalty kill for the Jets. He's only on the one year contract at the moment, but not everyone on the team can be locked up long term or a young guy on their entry level deal. Whether I use Ladd with either Seguin or Scheifele is up for debate I suppose, I think he could play with either and I'm aiming to build my top 6 with 3 more wingers that can alternate on either line.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Minnesota Wild select Kyle Okposo
Young-ish RW. Solid point producer will do well on a line with Benn or Parise.

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 31, 2015

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I am really happy I took Eberle instead of a D given how the last fifty picks have gone. You guys are taking all the good wingers.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Yes please go back to taking goalies thanks

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Jordan7hm posted:

I am really happy I took Eberle instead of a D given how the last fifty picks have gone. You guys are taking all the good wingers.
There's lots of good wingers left.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Verviticus posted:

toffoli is overrated

Better than Brandon Sutter.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Boomer The Cannon posted:

There's lots of good wingers left.

Nope they're all terrible Okposo was the last good one.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

Nope they're all terrible Okposo was the last good one.

I tossed up between him and Neal. Neal won out because he fits the theme better.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh yes some writeups. John Carlson is a #1 defenseman for the Washington Capitals. He is a prototypical EA Sports NHL Two-Way defenseman. His underwhelming performance from 2013-14 was followed up with a career high in points, 5v5 P/60, some powerplay scoring and acceptable fancy stats last season. He's signed for $4M for three more years, so why the hell not. I didn't think there was a much better top pairing D left on board.

John Klingberg was a strong Calder candidate after coming out of prospect obscurity to put up 40 points in 65 games, the highest PPG by a rookie defenseman in the last 20 years or some poo poo. He played top pairing minutes on the Stars and did exceptionally well, after which he was signed to a somewhat crazy 7-year extension. I'm gambling that this will work out since most of the young defensemen given these sorts of deals have turned out well so far. Even if his performance dips slightly, a right-handed offensive defenseman who can score at ~1P/60 and contribute on the powerplay is easily worth $4 million.

Admittedly, I wanted Carter and Lindholm and they both got sniped before I picked. But I'm still happy with getting two premiere, talented right-handed defensemen, considering that there's no shortage of gritty left-handed possession black holes left to pair them with.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I can't wait to see which forwards actually make it back to me.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I can't wait to see which forwards actually make it back to me.

Brandon Sutter will still be available.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Verv's two hours are up and Infidel Castro is up.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

It's been 2 hours since lazerwolf's pick, so I'm happy to announce

:siren: ST. LOUIS HAS A FIRST LINE CENTRE NOW SO YOU CAN ALL REST EASY :siren:

Mikko Koivu
Pos: FIRST LINE CENTRE, OKAY? SHEESH.

Cap Hit: $6,750,000/yr though 2017-18

I was honestly a bit hesitatnt to take Koivu over a couple other options, but at the end of the day it was the clear choice for this team for a number of reasons.

For starters, he actually is a first line centre. Sure, you can bicker about how well he fits the mold, but he's one of the few centres left that actually plays on his teams top line and thus plays first line minutes. On top of that, he's a fantastic leader. Considering McDavid will be the cornerstone of this franchise for a long time, having an experienced veteran to mentor him early on should pay off in spades.

This isn't to say he's being picked just for his intangibles. Koivu is still a very good hockey player. He moves the puck well, can be counted on to win key faceoffs, and provides solid play in his own zone. Yes, he is declining, but I don't see Koivu as another Lecavalier. His solid two-way game should hold up fairly well; at least long enough for him to pass the torch on to McDavid with no complaints because that's how cool he is.

Welcome aboard, Captain!

THE NEW AND IMPROVED ST. LOUIS BLUES (mostly)

????? - M.Koivu - ?????
????? - C. McDavid - ?????

M. Vlasic - K. Shattenkirk

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I would definitely keep McDavid as the No. 1 center, Koivu is constantly hurt and declining offensively, he's a 50-point player at most now.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like that pick for you a lot. He provides some real insulation for McDavid even if he isn't a consistently great scorer.

Anyway I'm at work, so short and sweet: the Senators take Erik Johnson. He faces tough as nails competition and does well both possession wise and scoring wise. It took him a long time to get here, but he is a real #1 D at this stage. One more year on a sweetheart contract too.

E:

??-Tavares-Eberle

??-Johnson

Lundqvist

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 31, 2015

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Koivu is declining but still ok. Like Jumbo on my team it gives your young stud center a couple years of insulation.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Jordan7hm posted:

I like that pick for you a lot. He provides some real insulation for McDavid even if he isn't a consistently great scorer.

Anyway I'm at work, so short and sweet: the Senators take Erik Johnson. He faces tough as nails competition and does well both possession wise and scoring wise. It took him a long time to get here, but he is a real #1 D at this stage. One more year on a sweetheart contract too.

E:

??-Tavares-Eberle

??-Johnson

Lundqvist

Yeah, this was the primary reason. There was one other guy I really gave a lot of consideration to that if this was straight up fantasy hockey I would have taken. However, the point of this is to build a hypothetical real life franchise and Koivu was a much better fit in that regard.

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I would definitely keep McDavid as the No. 1 center, Koivu is constantly hurt and declining offensively, he's a 50-point player at most now.

Koivu only missed two games last year. Yeah, 50 points is probably his plateau at this point, but that isn't terrible for a late 4th round pick.

tofes posted:

Koivu is declining but still ok. Like Jumbo on my team it gives your young stud center a couple years of insulation.

I was actually hoping Jumbo would fall to this pick, so thanks jerk. :argh:

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 31, 2015

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
lets goooo I am leaving soon I don't wanna miss my picks!

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

THE MACHO MAN posted:

lets goooo I am leaving soon I don't wanna miss my picks!

you can pm me a list if you think you wont be around if you want

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

sup with the people at the top of draft not picking, drat

I have macho man's 2 picks, stickarts can pick now since it's been 2 more hours since last pick and hopefully we get this moving again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

us guys in the back end of the draft hit for the cycle yesterday, pick it up early team

• Locked thread