Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SilentW posted:

Fps lock is literally always because someone couldn't be bothered to make sure their physics / gameplay code worked independent of framerate.

Eh, not always. Especially when the lock is 30 fps, it often means that the programmers couldn't figure out how to get it to reliably render at 60 fps, even if the game's physics/gameplay would run just fine at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Nintendo Kid posted:

Eh, not always. Especially when the lock is 30 fps, it often means that the programmers couldn't figure out how to get it to reliably render at 60 fps, even if the game's physics/gameplay would run just fine at it.
We're talking about a PC game though and in that case there's absolutely no reason that someone shouldn't have the option to run at 60FPS if their rig is good enough to handle it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
http://kotaku.com/new-doom-combines-old-and-new-with-mixed-results-1720457613

So the new Doom has a gun called the 'static cannon' which is like a SSG that charges up by running around. That's....actually a pretty drat cool idea?

quote:

It’s a gun that charges up as you run. If you stop moving, its single, lightning-bolt-of-Zeus-like blast is kinda cruddy. If you dart, dodge, sprint, and strafe until its meter is topped off, however, you’re suddenly packing a one-shot kill cannon. Unfortunately, it wasn’t super useful on the constrained, corridor heavy level in the QuakeCon demo, but I’m looking forward to experimenting with it more.

:downs:

quote:

I didn’t really dig the new loadout functionality. In the new Doom you can only carry two guns and one item (say, grenades or a teleporter) per loadout, and in the demo we could only switch between two custom loadouts per game.

Loadouts, in DOOM?! :wtc: Well that's done.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Static Cannon makes me think of the original Soda Popper for Scout in TF2, which had a hype meter that you filled up by running and jumping, and could be activated to give you mini-crits. Essentially it just rewarded scouts for running to the fight with their gun out by giving them a massive damage boost, and the bonus was later reworked because that was a bad idea.

In a deathmatch setting I could see it maybe being less obnoxious, but now I do wonder about the oneshot capabilities of other weapons. Will the normal SSG still be able to just rip through players if you get up in their face?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Mini retro FPS block over at Summer Games Done Quick is about an hour and a half away, after this FEAR run and the upcoming Wheel of Time run (a weird Unreal 1 game)

Unreal in 55 mins
Doom SCYTHE.WAD with UV + -fast in 27 mins
Spear of Destiny on hardest difficulty in 30 mins
First two episodes of Super Noah's Ark 3D on Hard in 10 mins

arcsig
May 29, 2015

The Kins posted:

Mini retro FPS block over at Summer Games Done Quick is about an hour and a half away, after this FEAR run and the upcoming Wheel of Time run (a weird Unreal 1 game)

Unreal in 55 mins
Doom SCYTHE.WAD with UV + -fast in 27 mins
Spear of Destiny on hardest difficulty in 30 mins
First two episodes of Super Noah's Ark 3D on Hard in 10 mins
Is the Scythe run going to actually be going by traditional UV-Fast rules, or is it just a UV-Speed run with -fast enabled due to a donation incentive or something? 27 minutes for UV-Fast sounds insane.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

I'd assume the former as a proper uv-fast run would be literally impossible to complete in under 30 minutes. Map30 alone takes longer than that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The schedule says UV-Speed.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
FPS block has started!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
drat it, I wanted to see the Wheel of Time run but missed it by an hour. :(

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Okay, stay with me here, SNA3D total conversion based on the apocrypha: Super Book of Enoch 3D.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
cliffyb just donated $500 during the Unreal run--awesome!

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Thanks to whoever mentioned ROTT 2013 being cheap on Steam. Love that rockin music and silly bullshit :madmax:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Managed to tune in mid-Scythe, but missed most of the FPS block besides.

They're only doing episodes 1 & 2 of Super Noah's Ark 3D?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
So it's been confirmed by the current guy-in-charge for 3D Realms, Frederik Schreiber, that the new Bombshell top-down game is coming with a retro FPS shareware episode of Bombshell game built on Eduke32. They apparently hired on modders from the Duke scene to help make this happen, so it's gonna be quite interesting.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 31, 2015

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Okay, stay with me here, SNA3D total conversion based on the apocrypha: Super Book of Enoch 3D.

You could do a super Ehud maybe. From Judges 3:

The Bible (NIV) posted:

Again the Israelites cried out to the Lord, and he gave them a deliverer—Ehud, a left-handed man, the son of Gera the Benjamite. The Israelites sent him with tribute to Eglon king of Moab. Now Ehud had made a double-edged sword about a cubit long, which he strapped to his right thigh under his clothing. He presented the tribute to Eglon king of Moab, who was a very fat man. After Ehud had presented the tribute, he sent on their way those who had carried it. But on reaching the stone images near Gilgal he himself went back to Eglon and said, “Your Majesty, I have a secret message for you.”

The king said to his attendants, “Leave us!” And they all left.

Ehud then approached him while he was sitting alone in the upper room of his palace and said, “I have a message from God for you.” As the king rose from his seat, Ehud reached with his left hand, drew the sword from his right thigh and plunged it into the king’s belly. Even the handle sank in after the blade, and his bowels discharged. Ehud did not pull the sword out, and the fat closed in over it. Then Ehud went out to the porch; he shut the doors of the upper room behind him and locked them.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nition posted:

You could do a super Ehud maybe. From Judges 3:

Man even if I wasn't Catholic, stuff like this is why I love the Bible

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Right after that Ehud escapes and gathers an army of Israelites, who kill 10,000 Moabites and take over the country.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Colon Semicolon posted:

So it's been confirmed by the current guy-in-charge for 3D Realms, Frederik Schreiber, that the new Bombshell top-down game is coming with a retro FPS shareware episode of Bombshell game built on Eduke32. They apparently hired on modders from the Duke scene to help make this happen, so it's gonna be quite interesting.

So that's what that was about! More Duke stuff is always cool, I feel like that game's modding scene doesn't get enough love.

E: lmao which one of you guys has the :smug: avatar there

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 31, 2015

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Colon Semicolon posted:

That sounds hella cool, I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Colon Semicolon posted:

Ah, so that's what that hiring experienced Build modders many months ago was about.

Sure, I'm for it. Bombshell strikes me as an IP that'd work very well with the old 3D Realms FPS aesthetic - I mean, she kinda has to be, being a stand-in for Duke himself.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Shadow Hog posted:

Ah, so that's what that hiring experienced Build modders many months ago was about.

Sure, I'm for it. Bombshell strikes me as an IP that'd work very well with the old 3D Realms FPS aesthetic - I mean, she kinda has to be, being a stand-in for Duke himself.
Plus, the character Bombshell is a cut DNF character. Started out as the sidekick you see a bit in the ol' E3 98 DNF trailer. And there was Bombshell concept art in some DNF preview.

A free new shooter episode, I dig it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Super Book of Enoch 3D.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I don't want to come off as an unpleasable rear end in a top hat, but honestly I hoped for a new game made on Build engine, using one of the 3DR's existing old IP's, like Blake Stone or Bio Menace. The Bombshell "shareware" prequel is nice and all, but it comes in as an attention grabber and reason to buy it by people who don't care in the slightest about the main game.

I'm done with whining for now, my copy of Necrodome has arrived and I bought Future Shock yesterday.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I've had trouble finding a decent source of information on Terminator: Skynet and Future Shock, but I remember being really impressed with the games when I first played them in the mid 90's. A lot of Skynet's levels were surprisingly open ended--for example, there was at least one map that spanned several city blocks, complete with radioactive obstacles and buildings with interior cells (similar to other Bethesda games like Morrowind and Fallout 3) that could be entered and explored. Maps were fairly realistic by mid-90's FPS standards; one of Skynet's final levels took place on a nuclear sub that made Duke 3D's sub look completely lame. The enemies also felt varied and compelling. Rather than just sitting around waiting for the player to encounter them, you had stuff like large mechanical spiders crawling across the rubble and HK ships patrolling the skies, . There were even driving and piloting sections (that were hard as hell to adjust to, especially in an era where "mouselook" was still a new concept).

And poo poo, the nightvision optic on one of the advanced rifles even displayed a smaller version of what it was aiming at--something I don't recall seeing again until, hell, Far Cry probably. Not too shabby for a game from 1996.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
If the Build version of Bombshell is going to be "shareware", they better release the full version within a few months. :v:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

closeted republican posted:

If the Build version of Bombshell is going to be "shareware"

Hoping this means people have to call them to order the full version.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mak0rz posted:

Hoping this means people have to call them to order the full version.

At the very least, go read their BBS.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Have they mentioned how far they're going with the Bomshell Build thing? Like, is it just gonna be a Duke mod with a VA swap or are they going all-out with completely new assets and whatnot?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Have they mentioned how far they're going with the Bomshell Build thing? Like, is it just gonna be a Duke mod with a VA swap or are they going all-out with completely new assets and whatnot?

They mentioned an all new VGA palette so I imagine there's going to be new art, sound, etc.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
That's really cool. I was sort of interested in Bombshell mainly because it was made up of Duke scraps, though now I'm interested in the game proper. The shareware is cool too, if the levels are good.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Segmentation Fault posted:

They mentioned an all new VGA palette so I imagine there's going to be new art, sound, etc.

:cool:

More stuff for the duke community to plunder.

Will the new build game be entirely shareware or just partly shareware?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

:cool:

More stuff for the duke community to plunder.

Will the new build game be entirely shareware or just partly shareware?

I figure it'll be a mock "shareware edition" where it's just 6 or so levels. They might make a full version later down the line but I wouldn't count on it.

ArcturusDeluxe
May 15, 2006

closeted republican posted:

If the Build version of Bombshell is going to be "shareware", they better release the full version within a few months. :v:
For the true oldskool experience they also need to make a sequel a year later using the same engine, but with 6 new enemies and a new gun.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

ArcturusDeluxe posted:

For the true oldskool experience they also need to make a sequel a year later using the same engine, but with 6 new enemies and a new gun.

Nah, they'd need to be given a lovely fan mod and sell it as a retail expansion pack for $50.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

With all this Bombshell/Duke Nukem talk, I have to ask:

Who owns Duke Nukem now? Do those idiots at Gearbox still have him held hostage or was 3D Realms able to get him back?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Starhawk64 posted:

Who owns Duke Nukem now? Do those idiots at Gearbox still have him held hostage or was 3D Realms able to get him back?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/05/duke-nukem-lawsuit-ends-with-settlement-possible-license-transfer/

Seems unclear. Maybe they worked out a deal and both of them do? Maybe Gearbox still does? Maybe 3D Realms bought it back? :iiam:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Starhawk64 posted:

IIRC Gearbox owns the Duke Nukem license but 3D Realms/Interceptor owns the rights to the games pre-DNF.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
B!Zone, let's do this. You start shopping Barney heads onto pigcop sprites, I'll start making the broken Evangelion MIDIs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Segmentation Fault posted:

Gearbox owns the Duke Nukem license