Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

semper wifi posted:

Did you get this info from a worldstar comment or something?

god drat it's rare a user's custom text is so appropriate to one of their posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

semper wifi posted:

Ah yes those "worldstar posters." What do they have in common, that makes them so wrong?

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot

A Fancy Bloke posted:

He's just enraged that Tensing got charged.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Former University of Cincinnati police Officer Ray Tensing pleaded not guilty Thursday to charges of murder and voluntary manslaughter in the July 19 shooting death of Samuel DuBose. At his arraignment, the judge set Tensing's bond at $1 million.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/30/us/ohio-sam-dubose-tensing/index.html

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Vahakyla posted:

Former University of Cincinnati police Officer Ray Tensing pleaded not guilty Thursday to charges of murder and voluntary manslaughter in the July 19 shooting death of Samuel DuBose. At his arraignment, the judge set Tensing's bond at $1 million.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/30/us/ohio-sam-dubose-tensing/index.html

Glad to see they charged the murder as well as involuntary manslaughter, so they can't use the 'he meant to do it so it wasn't involuntary manslaughter' defense.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Chicago's fairly popular Second City Cop blog has a post on Tensing that offers some depressing insight into the police mindset regarding the shooting:

quote:

A cop in Ohio was indicted for murder yesterday:

quote:

The white University of Cincinnati police officer who shot unarmed black man Samuel Dubose during a traffic stop has been indicted on a murder charge, a prosecutor announced Wednesday, saying the cop "purposely" killed the motorist and "should never have been a police officer."

In announcing the charge against officer Ray Tensing, Hamilton County prosecutor Joe Deters lambasted the cop over the July 19 death of Dubose, 43, saying the fatal shooting was "the most asinine act I've ever seen a police officer make."

Pardon us, but that sounds a bit prejudicial to the "fair trial" rule of law. We assume that Joe Deters has proof of the hiring process, the standards of Ohio for qualifying officers, and a list of "asinine act(s)" to compare this one to?

quote:

"He wasn't dealing with someone who was wanted for murder, OK? He was dealing with someone who didn't have a front license plate," Deters said of Tensing, who joined the university force in April 2014. "I mean, this is, in the vernacular, a pretty chicken-crap stop, all right? And — I could use harsher words."

He added that even if Dubose was starting to "roll away," the officer should have just let him go.

If this is such a.....how did he put it? "chicken-crap stop," then why did the legislature pass the law in the first place? Police are pretty much obligated to stop people who are breaking the law and maintain the standards set by the elected representatives. The words "Law" and "Enforcement" pretty much appear in the job description, unless they've been removed recently? And we imagine the prosecutor is going to regret uttering the thought that if someone starts to "roll away," officers should just let them go.

How about the states attorneys, prosecuting attorneys, or district attorneys in every one of the 50 states provide police a list of offenses that certain people don't have to obey or comply with? That would make everything simpler for everyone, wouldn't it? We wouldn't have these incident popping up with the potential for so much misunderstanding and violence when everyone is supposed to be equal before the law, right?

We'll even help start a list:
•strong armed robbery in Ferguson and not be stopped
•sell loose cigarettes in New York and not be stopped
•drive without a front license plate in Cincinnati
•loiter on street corners, flag down cars and sell dope or sex
•resist arrests, lawful or not, based on street lawyer experience or rap lyrics
•pretty much any gun offense on the streets of Chiraq

That being said and the unedited video not being shown by the media, an intelligent person cannot even make an educated guess as to what fully transpired. Yet the prosecutor has already condemned the accused to "purposefully" killing a motorist, claimed the entire hiring and training regimen suspect (thereby attacking all police officers of this department), and cemented this as the "most asinine act" in the history of policing, tainting any jury within a few hundred miles of Cincinnati.

"Railroading" doesn't even come close to describing this.

The mental gymnastics are pretty impressive, as it's definitely not like compliance with the law has ever meant much to the police here in Chicago.

I imagine the majority of police across the country know EXACTLY what the prosecutor means by a bullshit stop that wasn't worth the loss of someone's life, but it seems like plenty are repressing the hell out of that knowledge.

Terraplane
Aug 16, 2007

And when I mash down on your little starter, then your spark plug will give me fire.

quote:

Police are pretty much obligated to stop people who are breaking the law and maintain the standards set by the elected representatives.

Funny, I thought they had plenty of discretion with regards to traffic stops. At least, that's the line you hear whenever you ask why cops don't ticket their friends/family.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Ah yes those "worldstar posters." What do they have in common, that makes them so wrong?

A Fancy Bloke posted:

I guess you guys have never been to worldstar, I get it though you guys like to keep your online activities confined to the gated community of SA, who could blame you some of those other sites have black people on them.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

peengers posted:

He's just enraged that Tensing got charged.

Actually I think he deserved to be charged, plus I'm looking forward to a Zimmerman trial redux.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

semper wifi posted:

I guess you guys have never been to worldstar, I get it though you guys like to keep your online activities confined to the gated community of SA, who could blame you some of those other sites have black people on them.

"You see, in this scenario, I have adopted the guise of rubber, while you have mimicked the properties of some sort of adhesive compound!"

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
I wonder if they're going to build a custom electric chair inside a car for Tensing's execution. Would only be fair IMO.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Neither he nor anyone else deserve death penalty or life imprisonment without parome.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Obdicut posted:

Glad to see they charged the murder as well as involuntary manslaughter, so they can't use the 'he meant to do it so it wasn't involuntary manslaughter' defense.

This way if they use the "gun went off by accident" defense, there will be a charge that will stick.
I don't see a "I was in fear for my life" working, I don't think that you can convince a jury that the car was going to drive sideways.

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

semper wifi posted:

Actually I think he deserved to be charged, plus I'm looking forward to a Zimmerman trial redux.

Do you mean you want to see him acquitted?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

semper wifi posted:

this is a pretty stereotypical attempt to deflect criticism by accusing others of being the real racists, please say something about the CNN plantation next

e: the husband said there was no record of her treatment, it wasn't difficult to find

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 30, 2015

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

semper wifi posted:

It's according to the husband, but I guess semper wifi would probably call that a 'worldstar comment' since he prefers speaking in dogwhistles.

quote:

While she was still awaiting arraignment, Turner was taken by TransCare ambulance to Montefiore Mount Vernon hospital between 7:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. Sunday after complaining that she did not feel well, police said. She was treated for hypertension — high blood pressure — and returned to the cell by ambulance shortly after 10 p.m., they said.

Herman Turner also said that he went to the hospital and that it had no record of his wife being there.

"I'm angry," he said. "Very angry. Somebody needs to pay. Somebody really needs to pay for this. I'm sorry, I'm not going to let this rest."

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/2015/07/28/woman-dies-mount-vernon-holding-cell/30773979/

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

semper wifi posted:

Go back to worldstar if you care about it so much then

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Is bail for a murder charge common? I'd always assumed that was one of those charges that gets you no bail.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Is bail for a murder charge common? I'd always assumed that was one of those charges that gets you no bail.

You're correct that it is least common for murder of all crimes, but it happens decently often. Most murderers aren't actually at risk of killing again or something while on bail.

quote:

Between 1990 and 2004, 62% of felony defendants in State courts in the 75 largest counties were released prior to the disposition of their case. Beginning in 1998, financial pre- trial releases, requiring the posting of bail, were more prev- alent than non-financial releases. This increase in the use of financial releases was mostly the result of a decrease in the use of release on recognizance (ROR), coupled with an increase in the use of commercial surety bonds. These findings are from a multi-year analysis of felony cases from the biennial State Court Processing Statistics (SCPS) pro- gram, sponsored by the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

Among defendants detained until case disposition, 1 in 6 had been denied bail and 5 in 6 had bail set with financial conditions required for release that were not met. The higher the bail amount set, the lower the probability of release. About 7 in 10 defendants secured release when bail was set at less than $5,000, but this proportion dropped to 1 in 10 when bail was set at $100,000 or more.

Murder defendants were the least likely to be released pre- trial. Defendants charged with rape, robbery, burglary, and motor vehicle theft also had release rates lower than the overall average. The highest release rate was for defen- dants charged with fraud.

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/prfdsc.pdf

Also from there:

quote:

From 1990 to 2004, an estimated 62% of State court felony defendants in the 75 largest counties were released prior to the disposition of their case (table 1). Defendants were about as likely to be released on financial conditions requiring the posting of bail (30%) as to be granted a non- financial release (32%). Among the 38% of defendants detained until case disposition, about 5 in 6 had a bail amount set but did not post the financial bond required for release.
Murder defendants (19%) had the lowest probability of being released, followed by those charged with robbery (44%), burglary (49%), motor vehicle theft (49%), or rape (53%). Defendants charged with fraud (82%) were the most likely to be released.

So ~20% of the time someone charged with murder makes bail.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

PostNouveau posted:

Pretty common here for non-capital murder. Bail is so varied from county to county (much less state to state) that it is hard to say if a bail amount is low or high unless you're practicing in that jurisdiction a lot.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
ABC News with the passive voice headline ahoy!

"Body cam footage made headlines again this week after Officer Ray Tensing was indicted for murder after he allegedly shot a man in the head during a traffic stop"

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Police searching for floating disembodied hand, considered armed and dangerous.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Phone posted:

"Body cam footage made headlines again this week after Officer Ray Tensing was indicted for murder after he allegedly shot a man in the head during a traffic stop"

Wait, why allegedly shot? Him shooting the guy isn't in question - it's the degree of criminality that is.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phone posted:

that's not passive voice (in the relevant portion: it's described as "he shot" not "a shot happened'")

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^
Also

Dirk the Average posted:

Wait, why allegedly shot? Him shooting the guy isn't in question - it's the degree of criminality that is.

American Journalism always does that, for everyone. Prevents libel claims.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dirk the Average posted:

From the same article;

quote:

I have a feeling whatever the influence of body cameras are now they will tend to grow as it becomes known they are pretty reliable records and subject to some interpretation of course,” said Silber.

tl;dr - That's like your opinion man.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Man_of_Teflon posted:

then why did the legislature pass the law in the first place?

For once a cop asks the right question.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

that's not passive voice (in the relevant portion: it's described as "he shot" not "a shot happened'")

Ah, noted. I was just taking issue with what Dirk was saying.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Dirk the Average posted:

While the officer was assisting a citizen with getting their license plate properly displayed, a mysterious shot rang out, tragically striking the citizen in the head. No stone will be left uncovered in the search to discover the origins of the unfortunately fatal discharge of some sort of a firearm.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Dahn posted:

While the officer was assisting a citizen with getting their license plate properly displayed, a mysterious shot rang out, tragically striking the citizen in the head. No stone will be left uncovered in the search to discover the origins of the unfortunately fatal discharge of some sort of a firearm.

Grassy knoll off to the left lookin' mighty suspicious, just saying.

All the news outlets I've seen have ditched "allegedly" from the shooting, although they try not to state directly that Tensing shot DuBose so often.

Meanwhile the corroborating officers are currently bricking it, and the Graun reports that they were no angels:

quote:

Two police officers who corroborated a seemingly false account of the fatal shooting of Samuel DuBose in Cincinnati were previously implicated in the death of an unarmed, hospitalised and mentally ill black man who died after he was “rushed” by a group of seven University of Cincinnati police officers.

Kelly Brinson, a 45-year-old mental health patient at Cincinnati’s University hospital, suffered a psychotic episode on 20 January 2010 and was placed inside a seclusion room at the hospital by UC officers. He was then shocked with a Taser three times by an officer and placed in restraints. The father of one – son Kelly Jr – then suffered a respiratory cardiac arrest and died three days later.

In court documents obtained by the Guardian and filed by Brinson’s family in a civil suit against UC police and the hospital, all seven officers are accused of using excessive force and “acted with deliberate indifference to the serious medical and security needs of Mr Brinson”.

The officers involved in his brother’s death were “supposed to be fired”, Brinson said. “But what happened was because we had an out-of-court settlement, they had immunity and they couldn’t be prosecuted.

“Everybody … associated with this case was supposed to be terminated,” he said. “And they didn’t – they didn’t terminate them.”

Brinson’s family settled a federal civil court case with the hospital and the police department for $638,000. All University of Cincinnati campus police officers were also removed from patrolling the psychiatric wards at the hospital after Brinson’s death.

Neither Kidd nor Weibel responded to requests for comment from the Guardian left at listed numbers.

Witness documents for the 2010 case show that it was a different officer who deployed the Taser against Brinson, but both Kidd and Weibel were involved in restraining him. In Weibel’s handwritten account of that incident, he stated that he had observed Brinson was “greatly agitated” after he was placed in a seclusion room and a request for leather restraints was made.

Following five minutes of discussion between hospital staff and Brinson, Weibel recalled that force then became “warranted” and he indicated to another officer “that I was going to rush the patient” as Brinson “turned his attention away”.

“At this point, without announcement, I quickly lundged [sic] at the patient,” Weibel wrote in block capital letters.

Brinson was then shocked with a Taser and placed in restraints, according to the complaint filed in US district court. Weibel wrote in his statement that he later observed Brinson was non-responsive and “had a blank stare on his face”, at which point a doctor was called.

According to Kidd’s deposition, he heard “grunts” coming from Brinson after the Taser was used. Kidd told attorneys he assisted in restraint by placing his elbow on Brinson’s jaw and his hand near his temple and face.

The University of Cincinnati police division declined to respond to a request for comment on the 2010 death.

You can now view the aftermath of DuBose's death in full 360o murdervision, with synchronised footage from Kidd & Lindenschmidt's cameras. Pay special attention to the serious damage caused to the back of Tensing's clothes.

Murderion fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 31, 2015

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Disgusting murder for no reason at all. Oh wait he committed the deadly crime of not listening therefore deserved a point blank shot straight into his face.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Is there a gif yet of the 3 seconds where the cop reaches into the car, grabs the guy, and executes him?

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

i am harry posted:

Is there a gif yet of the 3 seconds where the cop reaches into the car, grabs the guy, and executes him?

:nms: Yes. :nms:

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

How could a thug like that get away with sitting so aggressively in his car like that?

I'm just sorry that poor bullet got in the way of that fiend's face.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Jesus gently caress, that quality of that video is like way better than what I'd previously seen and makes it about 10000x worse.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

it doesn't even look like the car is moving till after the shot is fired. wtf kind of excuse can he make for why he fired then? cause the guy resisted a tiny bit?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Condiv posted:

it doesn't even look like the car is moving till after the shot is fired. wtf kind of excuse can he make for why he fired then? cause the guy resisted a tiny bit?

There's no excuse.

Cops err on the side of deadly force, particularly when it comes to minorities.

He could've easily let Dubose go--and radioed in his vehicle/tag safely and efficiently.

Instead, Dubose is dead because he did not have a front tag.

Just like Walter Scott died for a taillight.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

But old, defiant, white dusty assholes like Cliven Bundy can arm themselves against the machine, point semiautomatic weapons at federal officers and not suffer any consequences.

U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A

:911:

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 31, 2015

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Condiv posted:

He (Dubose) puts his hand over the lock on his door right when the officer tries to open the door handle. I have no clue if he meant to do that or not but the timing was on with the cop just about to open his door.

Then it just goes bad. Jesus Christ. That dude drove away as a corpse.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Armani posted:

He (Dubose) puts his hand over the lock on his door right when the officer tries to open the door handle. I have no clue if he meant to do that or not but the timing was on with the cop just about to open his door.

Then it just goes bad. Jesus Christ. That dude drove away as a corpse.

The cop was trying to drag him out of the car and he held the door closed.

Apparently a death sentence, if you're a black guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Why are white cops so afraid of black men when they die so easily...

Here's a real question: Who remembers Cops (the show)? I know society is moving pretty quickly but we've gone from watching police chase crackheads under houses to POV "silencing" of civilians in 20 short years.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 31, 2015

• Locked thread