Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Woffle posted:

What I mean by nonsensical is that it doesn't use the license very well. There are lots of trappings of Mario but the bad guy is a giant sword with a 16 Bit square plot, which doesn't feel like a Mario thing at all. My issues probably largely stem from how unreasonably ugly it is whereas Paper Mario is evergreen.

Also, Kole is right, I'm the SMRPG disliker, not he.

Well on the bright side, you did manage to form a podcast with the only other person on planet earth who doesn't like Banjo-Kazooie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
That's not true, I'm not on the podcast with them. Rare's N64 games onwards were all flawed titles at best, and their platformers were the worst of all. In fact, I'm gonna put it on the record: only wholeheartedly good one was Diddy Kong Racing and that poo poo still had a collectathon. Jet Force Gemini too! gently caress those dudes, they have a special endless river of jiggies awaiting them in hell.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The thing that makes Banjo-Kazooie a bad game in my mind (and Tooie an egregiously bad one) is that it has way too many different actions your dumbass bear and bird can take. Jump, double jump, super jump, extra-super jump, fly, peck, swim, swim faster, swim yet faster, walk around differently, shoot egg, shoot other four kinds of egg, invincibility, several different temporary powerups, transform at the shaman, split up and then spin around or hide in your sack or a aaaa aaa aaaaaa aaaaa. I didn't even look up a list so who knows how many I forgot about.

Plus Tooie had a Dark Soulsian interconnected world and used it exclusively to heap as much busywork on you as possible. There's still a lot of fun to be had with them but compared to the simple elegance of my collectathon of choice, the original Spyro the Dragon, there is way too much poo poo you can do. Spyro can jump, glide, charge and shoot fire and that's all he can ever do, with a few localized exceptions like supercharge and flight levels. All of them have obvious and occasionally more subtle uses and it is fun to put them to those uses. I won't put up much of a fight if anyone points out that Spyro is in fact for babies, but it feels so much better than your Banjos-Kazooies ever do.

I'd suggest Spyro for WOFF as a redemption of the collectathon but I don't think it's actually good enough to step up to that particular plate. Maybe a decade from now you'll get around to it and my skeleton will crack a bony smile.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Jet Force Gemini too! gently caress those dudes, they have a special endless river of jiggies awaiting them in hell.

I suspect Jet Force Gemini was either a cry for help, or a spiteful move so they would be able to stop making collectathon games. Hell, they released it a little over a month and a half before DK64. Late 1999 became the season of collecting loving everything ever.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Seems like it's been a while since we've had a really awful game on WOFF. The occasional Sacrifice makes for good listening! I guess that's what Abject Suffering is for. Sorry if it sounds like I'm wishing bad times on you guys...

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Banjo Kazooie is still great, as is Tooie. And Yukka-Laylee will also be great. Ya'll haters can hate but that's ok, everyone is allowed to be wrong about something.

E: The XBLA versions are the best because they remove the slowdown from the N64 versions and have higher resolution text.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Opposing Farce posted:

This is basically heresy but I'd actually say Super Paper Mario is my favorite game in the series, and I'd argue it's better than the original Paper Mario (though it's definitely not a better game than The Thousand Year Door, I'm not completely crazy). The mechanics are novel and sound cool on paper, even if in practice they don't quite work out as well as you'd hope, but more than anything I love how weird and existential and vaguely melancholic it is. It's a flawed but strange and interesting game with a tone and story that's completely different from anything else Mario has ever touched and a lot of really great story beats, setpieces, and level concepts. The Thousand Year Door is a fantastic game that does just about everything right and is basically a masterpiece, so I kind of get why SPM has this reputation as a big disappointment next to that, but IMO SPM is still a genuinely cool game on its own merits.

The original Paper Mario is also neat game in its own right, but to me it feels a little bit 'safe' next to TTYD's madcap antics (let alone the weirdness of SPM). All of the basic ideas are there, and they work right and feel good, but in terms of tone, humor, and storytelling (and gameplay to a lesser extent) I can't help looking at it as a prototype for TTYD, sort of the more-restrained first step you need to take before you can commit to something bigger and more inventive.

I'm glad to hear somebody else have the same opinion as me.

It was a game that played with mechanical conventions in a deceidedly un-Nintendo way, and tried to build an RPG-esque world out of a platformer. It was a game that had an un-Nintendo spirit that was more in line with a Suda 51 or Kojima, in that it was irreverent to the source material and wanted to do something different than anything else. I would say that if it were a failure, it was at least the kind of unique interesting failure that is a necessary by-product of exploring a medium. I would love to see someone inspired by SPM make games with a similar spirit, improved mechanics, or both.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I worry about doing exclusively good games too. I have very mixed feelings on 999, so you can look forward to that.

I also want to do some more games neither of us have played, at least a few per year.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Kole I've seen you post in the Uhh Yeah Dude thread before so I'm going to assume that your "Law Offices of Spiderman & Spiderman" joke was a super-deep UYD cut.

Also sort of related but sort of not, right after that ep my fiancée and I had a debate about whether Spider-Man 1 or 2 was better, she says 1 but I say 2.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Kole I've seen you post in the Uhh Yeah Dude thread before so I'm going to assume that your "Law Offices of Spiderman & Spiderman" joke was a super-deep UYD cut.

Also sort of related but sort of not, right after that ep my fiancée and I had a debate about whether Spider-Man 1 or 2 was better, she says 1 but I say 2.

2 is way better.

Whenever I say Spidermen2, I'm referencing this but sadly it's super lovely quality.

https://www.facebook.com/goSuperego/videos/97262046124/

http://www.gosuperego.com/trevor-lundgren/

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I think Paper Mario and Superstar Saga are the pinnacle of the Mario RPGs. Thousand Year Door is good too but I really, really dislike how every chapter in that game is overly transparent how you are essentially walking left and right to activate plot triggers. There's nothing to actually do in its "levels", they feel like extremely small pathways. Like, the twilight place is walking to the right and then back to the left, and then right again. The train level is walking left and right. Sure the plot is interesting in them, but the level design itself is really subpar. The game literally pads out forced backtracking when you need to find the bomb-ombs. There's just not much to explore in that game besides the starting town, especially compared to Superstar Saga and Paper Mario. Compare exploring the Jungle Island levels of the two paper mario games. On the flip side, TTYD improved the combat system and made the partner characters actually have personality beyond the ones in paper mario being stuff like bombette, who is a female bomb-omb and uhhh, or whatever personality you would describe to partners like Watt and Kooper. On the flip, flip side, TTYD had the "a computer has a crush on peach" interlude stuff which was just awful.

The problem with Super Mario RPG is the final fantasy-ness of it all despite being in a non-final fantasy setting. Like, in the other mario RPGS, if a shy guy attacks you it will jump on your head or something else that feels organic to the mario world. In Super Mario RPG, it would cast spells like "Drain" or "Meteor Storm" or "Sandstorm" or some other final fantasy type magic, which is as weird as it sounds to be in a mario game. Like, in Super Mario RPG, Bowser uses attacks like summoning a giant rock from the ground, or summoning a giant mechakoopa, its almost anachronistic for lack of a better word. When you fight him in Paper Mario, he breathes fire and swipes his claw or butt stomps.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Woffle posted:

I also want to do some more games neither of us have played, at least a few per year.

I cant afford to patreon anyone right now, so I keep suggesting them for Abject Suffering. My bad. (At least I toss in keys for the dreck I share.)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Listening to Jim talking about Uptown Funk on Video Games Hot Dog was incredible in every way :allears:

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I had a very similar experience a month ago at work. Every day at 1:00 we play music to signal the daily reviews (yeah, I work in the agency equivalent of a Coldstone Creamery). One day everyone was up and grooving in a very premeditated way, and I felt like maybe there was a carbon monoxide leak I didn't know about. Turns out it was uptown funk.

Same thing happened last week, except with some lady song about banging.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

My big problem with TTYD is that it rehashes the first game beat by beat at some points, and not in an interesting way like what Metal Gear Solid 2 did. Other than that, I think it's an absolute blast with loads of personality and great characters.

Super Paper Mario was a flawed game but I appreciate it for mixing RPG elements in 2D platforming in a way that differentiates itself from Metroidvanias. I was surprised with how dramatic the story gets, and how successful it is at selling that drama. It was worth my time.

Edit: My nickname for Video Games Hot Dog is 'JoKeRZ FM' (Jim, Kevin, Riff, Zack)

DoubleCakes fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 26, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Woffle posted:

I worry about doing exclusively good games too. I have very mixed feelings on 999, so you can look forward to that.

Gonna keep beating that Nier drum.

Although if you want to learn about Drakengard in preparation for Nier, read TheDarkId's LP of it instead of playing Drakengard.

For the love of God do not play Drakengard.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Song For The Deaf posted:

I had a very similar experience a month ago at work. Every day at 1:00 we play music to signal the daily reviews (yeah, I work in the agency equivalent of a Coldstone Creamery). One day everyone was up and grooving in a very premeditated way, and I felt like maybe there was a carbon monoxide leak I didn't know about. Turns out it was uptown funk.

Same thing happened last week, except with some lady song about banging.

We're gonna bang bang into conference room, were gonna bang bang peer review, gonna tell you what you did Wrong, in a passive aggressive tone

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

source

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

re: Abject Suffering and "I've never seen Minesweeper mashups", that has been a huge variety of smaller titles lately.

Minesweeper + hex grid/custom board designs (probably the best variant)
Yeah after looking at those ones you linked I went and bought Hexcells Infinite, and it's really good. It being able to generate puzzles based on a random seed (or today's date) is cool, and while it still has the Minesweeper problem of occasionally leaving you with no choice but to pick something at random, the additions do a lot to reduce that and make it more puzzle-y. For $5, if you're even slightly interested in a modernized Minesweeper you should really get this game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I forgot if you guys mentioned this on WOFF, I feel you have at one point but Freedom Force would be a great fit for you to tackle.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
got 14000 points in spidermentwo city raid

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

I forgot if you guys mentioned this on WOFF, I feel you have at one point but Freedom Force would be a great fit for you to tackle.

I've wanted to do this for about a year and a half. Look for it some time in the next year. It's one of my favorites.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

You guys were discussing a possible indie grappling/swinging game, so I figured you'd be interested in Energy Hook. It was launched on Kickstarter a couple years ago by Jamie Fristrom, the designer and technical director of Spider-Man 2, and it seems it's pretty much the stripped-down game focusing on that mechanic that you guys were hoping for. It'll be available on Early Access on the 13th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9xr1Z6UDEA

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 27, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

gently caress yeah more KC Green in my life, thank you for this.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

C-Euro posted:

gently caress yeah more KC Green in my life, thank you for this.

He did one in the art style of Kelly, and it's is spot on.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I know I've asked this question in a previous version of this thread and the fact that I can't remember the answer leads me to believe that nobody knows. So did we ever find out what clint hocking was doing at valve?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Nope. He is one of many people to collect a paycheck there who we saw no result from in the end.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jippa posted:

I know I've asked this question in a previous version of this thread and the fact that I can't remember the answer leads me to believe that nobody knows. So did we ever find out what clint hocking was doing at valve?

It seems Clint Hocking has literally spent the last 7 years working on poo poo that will never see the light of day

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Just caught the latest Woff, and it's definitely got me interested in giving Spiderman a swing :iamafag:

Also, had Kole really never heard Black Betty before, or was he just rendered inarticulate with mirth in the outro?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I'm aware of the song, it was just so out of place that I was gobsmacked.

For anyone who doesn't listen to the show, we're talking about the amazing Spider Man City Raid game. I can't find a version without a lovely ad... sorry. http://www.arcadespidermangames.info/play/spiderman-city-raid.html

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

For anyone who doesn't listen to the show, we're talking about the amazing Spider Man City Raid game. I can't find a version without a lovely ad... sorry. http://www.arcadespidermangames.info/play/spiderman-city-raid.html

The ad only helps the experience. You sit through the ad, then you get the super official font and art assets with an evocative name. City raid, huh? Gonna raid a city I guess. Then bam!

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Can confirm, this is a pro-click.

Now to run all my anti-virus stuff,

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Another great C&C I genuinely laughed when they said star citizen was the jeremy corbyn of space (for non uk people just think '08 obama "hope" etc).

I'm also very glad they are looking into the sound issues, that email almost exactly mirrored one of my forum posts. Here they are asking for help with their audacity settings:

http://crateandcrowbar.com/2015/07/24/episode-102-no-match-for-the-lily-pad/

If anyone of you know about audacity and compression etc they need advice here, please gove it to them: questions@crateandcrowbar.com

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

holy poo poo I was praying you guys would somehow reference that one insane GameFAQs guy in the Illbleed episode. been laughing at that thing for years and thought I was the only one who knew about it

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I honestly think Illbleed could support a WOFF episode

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MinibarMatchman posted:

holy poo poo I was praying you guys would somehow reference that one insane GameFAQs guy in the Illbleed episode. been laughing at that thing for years and thought I was the only one who knew about it
Gamefaqs guides are still one of my tiny joys in life.

*starts up Majesty for the first time in a Decade, pokes around for a guide to brush the rust off*

HI THERE THIS IS MY FIRST GUIDE I WULD LIKE TO THANK MY FRIENDS, AND GOD, AND MY MOM AND DAD, AND THE PEOLPE WHO MADE THIS GAME BECAUSE IT IS MY FAVORITE GAME OF ALL TIME!!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
We Will Never Forget Those Who Lost There Lives On September 11th 2001. May They Forever Rest In Piece.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Captain Invictus posted:

We Will Never Forget Those Who Lost There Lives On September 11th 2001. May They Forever Rest In Piece.
You forgot the ASCII twin towers.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

This FAQ, and all 26 other of my FAQ/Walkthroughs, are now dedicated to the over 6,000 innocent people killed in the World Trade Center and Pentagon terrorist attacks in New York City, New York, and Washington, D.C., on September 11, 2001. To all of the innocent working people, and FDNY Firemen, as well as other emergency workers, you will always be remembered. We won't stop until we bring these criminals to justice, your deaths were NOT IN VAIN! God Bless America, death to all terrorists of all races everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

HMS Boromir posted:

I honestly think Illbleed could support a WOFF episode

I want a thirty minute discussion on the semiotics of Sexydoll, goddamnit

• Locked thread