Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

strangemusic posted:

OK, gently caress. How the hell do I take down the Brute with electric fists (in the blimp after City of Fear?)
REC gun, I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

redbackground posted:

REC gun, I think?

This is a thing I do not have.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You should ask the cops for help with that.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

strangemusic posted:

This is a thing I do not have.
Oh.

Uhhh.

(furiously googles)
Try this!

And then go and pick up the REC gun, it's just been sitting there waiting for you since the beginning of the game.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 30, 2015

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

strangemusic posted:

OK, gently caress. How the hell do I take down the Brute with electric fists (in the blimp after City of Fear?)

Does the super stun not work? I think the batclaw might de-electrify guys also, but that might only be the guys that get zapped by the medics.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

redbackground posted:

Oh.

Uhhh.

(furiously googles)
Try this!

And then go and pick up the REC gun, it's just been sitting there waiting for you since the beginning of the game.

Unfortunately the death-fog is making that impossible... I have to go beat the Cloudburst first.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

edit: have folks tried checking the game code to see if there are more date-related easter eggs?

Man-Bat breaks out on Halloween.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

If I buy Arkham Knight for PS4 used do I miss out on the exclusive PS4 content? Is it a code that can be consumed or am I just granted access to it?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

omg chael crash posted:

If I buy Arkham Knight for PS4 used do I miss out on the exclusive PS4 content? Is it a code that can be consumed or am I just granted access to it?

It's a code that comes in the box so it'd probably be used. You can still try it though, could be the person who owned it first didn't use it.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

strangemusic posted:

Unfortunately the death-fog is making that impossible... I have to go beat the Cloudburst first.

Use takedowns on him then, might take two. You're sort of out of options without the REC though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Does the game seriously not send you to get the REC at any point? I had the Riddler tell me to go get it ages ago but I assumed the main story would give it to me eventually because that's how it worked in every previous game.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sindai posted:

Does the game seriously not send you to get the REC at any point? I had the Riddler tell me to go get it ages ago but I assumed the main story would give it to me eventually because that's how it worked in every previous game.

the only time the game tells you to get the REC is when you go to the department store

so basically the last bit of actual story before the end

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, the game only points you to the REC gun near the end, but you can pick it up basically any time. The freeze grenade, however, is never required to get, you just have to notice it's there and pick it up.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
If you didn't automatically punch the glass to take back your swag you're a bad batman.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

strangemusic posted:

I've been hitting them with the REC and the normal cape stun into beat down.

I'm not sure what the elegant solution is though.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Sindai posted:

The Riddler told me to go get the REC, and I wasn't sure where it was but eventually thought of the police station (well, okay, my wife suggested it, or I probably would have gone to Wayne Tower). So I got there and tried to talk to Aaron Cash or one of the people guarding the evidence room, trying to figure out who I needed to get permission from and fill out the requisition paperwork... Eventually, I think I looked it up online and was told "just smash it."

"I've been hitting them with the REC and the normal cape stun into beat down.

I'm not sure what the elegant solution is though."

Basically using the REC turns them into normal brutes. Without it, I think you might still be able to build up your combo on other enemies and then use the instant takedown, but you probably need two.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Armored brutes need two takedowns, weapon type doesn't make a difference in that regard.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Amusingly I carefully looked at everything in the evidence room the very first time I was there but I had completely forgotten the energy gun being there by the time the Riddler wanted it so I had no idea what he was talking about and it never would have occurred to me to go back.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

redbackground posted:

If you didn't automatically punch the glass to take back your swag you're a bad batman.

Yes, that's the first thing I did. Then I spent too long trying to get at the Electrocutioner's gloves too.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I am unable to imagine pushing a button in an Arkham game without a context-sensitive prompt on the screen telling me to.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Sindai posted:

I am unable to imagine pushing a button in an Arkham game without a context-sensitive prompt on the screen telling me to.

Do you have any idea how many tries I made to enter the Riddler rooms in City before realizing you just press X? It's a marked spot on a stone wall- who wouldn't try explosive gel?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Jurgan posted:

Do you have any idea how many tries I made to enter the Riddler rooms in City before realizing you just press X? It's a marked spot on a stone wall- who wouldn't try explosive gel?

I did the exact same thing and got increasingly angry when it wouldn't work.

Mind you, I also had to look up the solution to the shell game because it didn't even occur to me to cheat with detective vision :downs:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

CuwiKhons posted:

Mind you, I also had to look up the solution to the shell game because it didn't even occur to me to cheat with detective vision :downs:

I always thought it seemed out-of-character for Riddler to cheat in the shell game. His puzzles are supposed to be tough, but possible if you're intelligent enough. That one basically requires you to cheat.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Jurgan posted:

I always thought it seemed out-of-character for Riddler to cheat in the shell game. His puzzles are supposed to be tough, but possible if you're intelligent enough. That one basically requires you to cheat.

It requires you to be intelligent enough to cheat and not leave anything to chance. :haw:

But if I recall he's surprised and hurt at this so I don't know.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CuwiKhons posted:

I was at a friend's place and some people who hadn't played the game before were playing that section. They had left Detective Mode on for the entire bit, missing the joke completely (despite my gentle hints).

It's me, I'm the goon.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Literally Kermit posted:

It requires you to be intelligent enough to cheat and not leave anything to chance. :haw:

But if I recall he's surprised and hurt at this so I don't know.

Right, he gets mad and accuses you of cheating, but really there was no other way to win. So in his mind, the puzzle was unsolvable.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Playable Alfred mod is up.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Jurgan posted:

Right, he gets mad and accuses you of cheating, but really there was no other way to win. So in his mind, the puzzle was unsolvable.

It's literally unsolvable if you don't cheat. If you hit the one it's supposed to be (middle), then he cheats and it's on the left. If you know he's going to be on the left (because you have lost it four times) and you hit left, then the hostage is in the middle where he's supposed to be. Riddler is Schrodinger's cheater.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's an intellectual exercise. Riddler's fault Batman happens to be smarter and better at cheating. :colbert:

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I found this easter egg a couple of weeks ago, if you look inside the clock tower (not from the rooftop), you can find a desktop computer near the Masquerade Ball riddle, it has an instant messenger, where Barbara's chatting to Huntress (Helena Bertinelli) from the Birds of Prey.

It's once of those little secrets where you know the developers were playing close attention to all the little details going on in the comics and the DC Universe, there's also a Zatanna magic shop underneath Chinatown, although I've heard about it and yet to find it in the game.

Now I kind of wish for a Birds of Prey DLC.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Playable Alfred mod is up.
And it is delightful in every way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEQQCjld7FQ

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Junior Jr. posted:

I found this easter egg a couple of weeks ago, if you look inside the clock tower (not from the rooftop), you can find a desktop computer near the Masquerade Ball riddle, it has an instant messenger, where Barbara's chatting to Huntress (Helena Bertinelli) from the Birds of Prey.

It's once of those little secrets where you know the developers were playing close attention to all the little details going on in the comics and the DC Universe, there's also a Zatanna magic shop underneath Chinatown, although I've heard about it and yet to find it in the game.

The Clocktower is cool and all, but Oracle's building annoys me. What's her day job? What's that building actually for? Why is all her personal stuff stashed around the place? What happens when they need to perform maintenance on the clock? Surely it's a civic building, but her bedroom is in there!

Nyargh.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I just assume it's an old abandoned clock tower that Bruce purchased and retrofitted for her so she could better aid him in his war on crime.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Junior Jr. posted:

Also some of mercs at one of the watchtowers have a line of dialogue about the Birds of Prey, something about there being an all-female splinter group who took some of the mercs out, one of whom has the same name as a club in the city (i.e. the Black Canary Club). Birds of Prey DLC would be awesome, but I'd rather see them make full use of their existing character models before they spend time and resources adding more.

So in my second playthough Deathstroke fight I hacked one of the Cobras, and it somehow managed to destroy three other Cobras and took Deathstroke's tank down to zero health. Apparently the AIs can't kill Deathstoke, but I just had to drive up, shoot him once, and it was over. Good job tank.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Knormal posted:

So in my second playthough Deathstroke fight I hacked one of the Cobras, and it somehow managed to destroy three other Cobras and took Deathstroke's tank down to zero health. Apparently the AIs can't kill Deathstoke, but I just had to drive up, shoot him once, and it was over. Good job tank.

I'd never considered hacking in that setting- that's remarkable.

Jurgan posted:

This version of Riddler is at least partially inspired by a relatively recent set of Riddler characterizations (I think their origins were in the Batman Forever novelization, of all things) whose defining childhood event was really severe physical abuse by a father who didn't like how smart they were, and who would basically ask Eddie riddles and then either a)beat them for being wrong or b) beat them for cheating. This has given Riddler a weird self-justifying delusional perspective on how his unfair puzzles are "fair". Nygma's genuinely one of the smartest people in the Arkham mythos, but he's driven to ask riddles for the sense of control it gives him- and a large part of that is having "control" over what's "cheating". He's basically become his father, except an actually smart one, and Batman's become him- except Batman is winning every. single. time. - doing the things he could never do as a child. Which is of course making him worse and worse. I love that line during his boss fight- it says so much.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 31, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Hacking Cobras is really effective.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Hacking Cobras is really effective.

I thought Cobras were hack-proof. I think there was one fight where they couldn't be hacked, so I never tried it again.

Discendo Vox posted:

This version of Riddler is at least partially inspired by a relatively recent set of Riddler characterizations (I think their origins were in the Batman Forever novelization, of all things) whose defining childhood event was really severe physical abuse by a father who didn't like how smart they were, and who would basically ask Eddie riddles and then either a)beat them for being wrong or b) beat them for cheating. This has given Riddler a weird self-justifying delusional perspective on how his unfair puzzles are "fair". Nygma's genuinely one of the smartest people in the Arkham mythos, but he's driven to ask riddles for the sense of control it gives him- and a large part of that is having "control" over what's "cheating". He's basically become his father, except an actually smart one, and Batman's become him- except Batman is winning every. single. time. - doing the things he could never do as a child. Which is of course making him worse and worse. I love that line during his boss fight- it says so much.

That's interesting. It's also consistent with Riddler's interview tapes from Arkham Asylum.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Riddler is also the only villain aside from Joker who's able to get under Strange's skin. It's not really made clear whether or not Strange would've actually let him in on the Arkham City plan like he said he would in one of his interview tapes, though I rather doubt it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think Riddler gets under drat near everyone's skin. Pretty sure even Batman finds him more annoying than an actual threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

I think Riddler gets under drat near everyone's skin. Pretty sure even Batman finds him more annoying than an actual threat.

There's no reason at all to go back and fight the Riddler and joker even points it out. Batman just wants to kick his rear end.

• Locked thread