Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Just wanted to share this from Deadspin's Why Your Team Sucks Giants edition:

"How many times do I have to watch Rueben Randle run a route out of bounds? It’s almost as if he is wearing a helmet specifically blinding his peripherals enough to not know where he is."

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

VDay posted:

I love the included tweet.

"Holy poo poo AP looks loving incredible! I take it back it's awesome that he hit his kid so hard that he started bleeding and whacked him in the balls! GO Vikings!"

Shaming people into not picking AP so that he drops to me is how I plan to win my leagues this year

Enforka
Dec 24, 2004

Koth posted:

How nervous should I/we be about drafting either Ingram or Spiller and having the Saints turn into a RBBC?
The bad news: I think they already are a RBBC. I don't think they paid both Ingram and Spiller to have one of them sit on the bench, so neither is going to be a 3 down back for the Saints, unless there's another rash of injuries like there was last year.

The good news is: I can see both backs carving out a niche in that offense, a la Deuce McAllister and Reggie Bush. Pretty much every Saints off-season move indicates more emphasis on the run. Two receiving targets in Graham and Stills are gone, and they acquired Unger and Peat as linemen. They also spent chunks of their very limited FA budget on Ingram and Spiller. Put it all together and I think a lot of those touches that went to Graham and Stills are going to Ingram and Spiller.

Of the two, I like Spiller at his ADP more. I can just imagine the Saints going down by 14, reverting to form, and handing the ball to Brees to throw for the rest of the game.

Enforka fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 31, 2015

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Shaming people into not picking AP so that he drops to me is how I plan to win my leagues this year
my brother is still so mad at him for ruining his season last year that he's going to seriously try to draft an entire team of white players this time to avoid the suspensions/arrests on his roster (he's not very good at this stuff anyway)

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Varg posted:

my brother is still so mad at him for ruining his season last year that he's going to seriously try to draft an entire team of white players this time to avoid the suspensions/arrests on his roster (he's not very good at this stuff anyway)

Please post his team if he goes through with it

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Are you going to show people a picture of crying kids every time until it's your turn?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Varg posted:

Peyton Hillis, RB1

Enforka
Dec 24, 2004

Varg posted:

He should probably wait on QB. Tom Brady is going really late this year for some reason.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Round 1: Gronk
Round 2: Jordy Nelson
Round 3: Jimmy Graham (Depending on his views regarding individuals of mixed race)
Round 4: Peyton Manning
Round 5: Julian Edelman
Round 6: Seattle DST (5th whitest city in America)
Round 7: Stephen Gostkowski
Round 8: Eric Decker
Round 9: Danny Woodhead
Round 10: Toby Gerhart
Round 11: Peyton Hillis
Round 12: Kyle Jusczyk
Round 13: Chase Reynolds
Round 14: Tyler Gaffney
Round 15: Rex Burkhead

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Has anyone actually tried the "Zero RB" strategy Rotoviz pimps? The more I read about it the more it makes sense for my BML and im leaning towards doing it

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Metapod posted:

Please post his team if he goes through with it

I really miss Toby Gerhart for this sort of thing.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

How could you leave out Riley Cooper and Bryan Hartline

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

the_american_dream posted:

Has anyone actually tried the "Zero RB" strategy Rotoviz pimps? The more I read about it the more it makes sense for my BML and im leaning towards doing it

Zero RB is basically the strategy I've been pimping for the last two pages where you focus on high quality WRs and fill out your RBs with promising breakout candidates. Rotoviz is different where the guys writing those zero RB strategy articles on that site advocate getting a top tier TE over a QB and picking up RBs that are either pass catching time sharers or backups on good offenses.

I think getting a Gronk/Graham really depends on what the draft is doing, and I really dislike pass catching RBs as some weeks they just completely disappear even worse than when feature backs disappear. But to each their own.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

I'm in a 12 team PPR which we can start 3 WR plus as Flex, and only 'required' to start 1 RB. At pick 3 I've been getting #1 A.Brown, #2 A. Jeffery, #3 Luck or Mike Evans in almost every draft so far. I'm basically forfeiting my RB slot to load up on QB, WR, TE and lottery ticket RB/WR players. My starting #1 RBs have tended to be Joique Bell or Andre Ellington.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Yes I almost won my league last year with it but jimmy graham got 0 points in the first playoff game :argh:

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008
Okay so this is my BML's first year that we are doing an auction draft. As far as I know none of the other players have done an auction draft in their other leagues and some definitely won't put in the time to figure out the auction draft beforehand so I want to try and exploit this. Are there any good tricks/strategies regarding nominations?

The draft isn't for a few weeks so obviously a lot can change but does this sound like I am on the right track?

Go cheap at QB since there are so many QBs clustered in the 2nd and 3rd tiers I should be able to get one for like 5 dollars (this is a 4pt TD league)
Go cheap at TE unless Gronk is way undervalued because other than him Graham and Kelce it seems like there is a big logjam of okay TEs I would probably target someone like Walker for a few dollars.
Go big and early on 2 RBs and 1 WR in tier 1 spending about 130-140 out of the 200 dollar pot. I figure I can try and jump early into the mix when people are tentative and can use this to gauge how the draft will go (ie people way overpaying or being conservative).

I also plan on saving 10-15 dollars for my bench so I can snipe players when the draft starts to wind down and it becomes like a regular snake draft

Does this sound like a reasonable game plan going in and then once it starts play it by ear. My big worry is being conservative in the beginning and ending up fighting over average/slightl above average players and ending up with a team without studs on it or anyone who can really carry the team.

With these values it seems that I should put up QBs and TEs early and try and get people to burn money then hopefully snag a few RBs that are in the Forte/Foster/Anderson level after the big money Peterson/Lacy/Charles push goes over but before people start panicking when the tier 2 RBs start running out and a WR on Julios level with enough money to get some 2nd and 3rd tier WR/RB/Flexs. My big worry is if people are overpaying for top tier players and I end up fightinging over average/slightl above average players and ending up with a team without studs on it or anyone who can really carry the team. So am I going about this the right way or am I missing something big.

Swarmin Swedes fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 31, 2015

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I went 9th last year (10 team, 0.5 PPR) and snagged DT and Dez, it was nice, but the clincher was trading for Lacy after he had a few down weeks.

Lost by .5 in the championship to the guy who picked up Evans and ODB (dammit Demaryius catch a drat ball :argh:)

Not sure if I'll be doing it this year, too many stud WRs and even fewerer safe RB1s IMO.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 31, 2015

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Swarmin Swedes posted:

Okay so this is my BML's first year that we are doing an auction draft. As far as I know none of the other players have done an auction draft in their other leagues and some definitely won't put in the time to figure out the auction draft beforehand so I want to try and exploit this. Are there any good tricks/strategies regarding nominations?

A+ your strategies look great. Nice job not being seduced by the idea that you personally can make everybody else "blow" their money early and then sweep in and land a bunch of studs. People are risk averse - most folks are going to be inclined to avoid spending big until they have information about what stud RBs go for. Similarly, because they are risk averse, most people are going to dramatically overpay for the last one or two players before a tier drop. So basically nominate your guys as early as possible during the draft - first overall if possible.

That said, the one "rule" I didn't see you list was "avoid traffic". Of course that means avoiding bidding wars, but it also means trying to drive away competition that would otherwise be attracted to low bids. Empirically, people tend to more inclined to bid on low-anchor items (say $1) than an equivalent high-anchor item (say $25), and the final price is driven more by traffic (ie bidding wars) than initial price, so the low-anchor items tend to actually sell for more money in the psychology studies done on this. Unless your league is like 8 people, start your opening bids squarely on the far side of "steal" territory to prevent the bargain hunters from getting invested.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Bellmaker posted:

I went 9th last year (10 team, 0.5 PPR) and snagged DT and Dez, it was nice, but the clincher was trading for Lacy after he had a few down weeks.

Lost by .5 in the championship to the guy who picked up Evans and ODB (dammit Demaryius catch a drat ball :argh:)

Not sure if I'll be doing it this year, too many stud WRs and even fewerer safe RB1s IMO.

Maybe im misunderstanding the concept but isnt this precisely the reason you do it? Hedging that everyone will cling to whatever viable RBs are available while you get all the wrs?

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008

Forever_Peace posted:

That said, the one "rule" I didn't see you list was "avoid traffic". Of course that means avoiding bidding wars, but it also means trying to drive away competition that would otherwise be attracted to low bids. Empirically, people tend to more inclined to bid on low-anchor items (say $1) than an equivalent high-anchor item (say $25), and the final price is driven more by traffic (ie bidding wars) than initial price, so the low-anchor items tend to actually sell for more money in the psychology studies done on this. Unless your league is like 8 people, start your opening bids squarely on the far side of "steal" territory to prevent the bargain hunters from getting invested.

Thats actually a really good point, I had never thought about pushing out folks with a higher (but still low bid) because the mocks I have done do seem to have bidding wars quickly get out of hand. One thing I am going to be conscious of is trying to get at least a bid in on each player (as long as they stay below my range) so that it is tougher for people to figure out who I actually want because in this league people will absolutely try and gently caress each other over so I figure if I bid across the board up to a point that should negate some of that hopefully.

Swarmin Swedes fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 31, 2015

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Maybe im misunderstanding the concept but isnt this precisely the reason you do it? Hedging that everyone will cling to whatever viable RBs are available while you get all the wrs?

It doesn't hurt, but that's more a side benefit of others' suboptimal decision-making. The real "reason" you do it is because your first pick is your most valuable, and so the Zero RB guys argue, you should pick the least risky and most stable investment.

Historically the best investments have been elite WRs and TEs. On the other hand, RBs perform the worst at returning on your investment.

Zero RB then goes one additional step further and says, hey, if RB is so inherently unpredictable, why not target certain high-upside situations (timeshares, handcuffs, waiver wire poaching) and just trade in chaos? You'll be sitting pretty with your less risky studs.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Yes but if everyone does it go for the hbs

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Metapod posted:

Yes but if everyone does it go for the young hbs

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

quote:

Browns RB Isaiah Crowell is already having "exchange problems" early in camp.
Crowell apparently fumbled two handoffs from Josh McCown, and later dropped a short pass. It's just a reminder of Crowell's ball-security issues, which earned him an October benching and more limited role down the stretch last season. Crowell is atop the Browns' running-back depth chart, but can't put the ball on the ground in the preseason.

Don't Draft Any Browns

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

what about antonio?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Benne posted:

Don't Draft Any Browns

Duke Johnson

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm doing a league this year with a first time commissioner. His first year playing fantasy was last year and he's using some wacky scoring settings this year. I don't think anyone in the league knows enough to take advantage of it, so I might as well.

The main change is in QB scoring.

He changed the Yahoo default scoring to:

15 passing yards per point
7 points per TD

Everything else is pretty minor.

Obviously this means I do everything I can to target Luck or Rodgers in the first, right? If they are gone by my first pick, do I reach for Peyton/Wilson/etc?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

RCarr posted:

I'm doing a league this year with a first time commissioner. His first year playing fantasy was last year and he's using some wacky scoring settings this year. I don't think anyone in the league knows enough to take advantage of it, so I might as well.

7 points per TD

Obviously this means I do everything I can to target Luck or Rodgers in the first, right? If they are gone by my first pick, do I reach for Peyton/Wilson/etc?

Considering that a 300 yard 2 TD game would give you 34 points, yeah, I could see going for that strategy.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Legarette Blount failed his conditioning test at camp yesterday, so now's your chance to use a late round flier on Jonas Grey or James White before their ADP jumps.

That said, drafting a NE RB is never a good idea.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

RCarr posted:

7 points per TD

That's... actually kind of unclear. If you think about it, he's elevating the point value of ALL QBs, and spreading out the ranks a little bit more than they would be otherwise. That means that a good QB is going to toss up 500 pts in a season (lol), but an average QB might still post 400.

So the positional advantage may not actually be that huge if you take an early QB here. Here's the VORP using a Beer-like definition of "replacement-level player" in a 10-team league with your scoring settings:

Compared to RB and WR for ESPN standard (still using "Beer-like" replacement level players for 10-team standard):

(all using today's projections)

Whoever has the better quarterback each week is probably going to win the week, but aside from Luck and Rodgers in the first, it's not so clear that we know right now who the "better" quarterback is likely to be week-in and week-out. There might just be some weeks where Eli or Big Ben go supernova, or hell maybe even a week where Bradford outscores Peyton (lol battle of the hosed knees).

If it were me, I MAY consider trying to pick up two or even three mid/late-round quarterbacks in a league like this so I can platoon to maximize the chances of a breakout player and to play the matchups each week. That is, if I couldn't pick up Luck or Rodgers in the 1st (Luck is probably worth a 1st overall pick in this league).

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 31, 2015

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I've never taken a 1st round QB in my 8 years of playing but sitting at 7 this year if Rodgers is there I may have to bite with Hill and Bryant (PIT) in my pocket. Luck is a keeper for someone this year (final year in his contract). 6 pts passing and a 5 point bonus at 320yds.

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010
So I'm choosing between two keepers this year. I'm drafting 1st in a snake draft (standard scoring) and have either:

Antonio Brown, 3rd round (start of the 3rd)
Luck, 4th round (end of the 4th)

I've been pretty set on Luck but all this talk of elite WR consistency and QB depth has made me less sure. Keeping Brown and picking up say Tanny or Dalton later seems bold but is it stupid bold or smart bold?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

RCarr posted:

7 points per TD

About 5 years ago my work did its first fantasy football league with similar settings, only it was 8 points per td. Let me tell you right now that QB's won or lost that league the first year. I absolutely say draft Rodgers/Luck early.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Ty1990 posted:

Please stop. Shady is an elite running back and really fun to watch. This from a realistic Eagles fan.

He was, at one point. You're kidding yourself if you think the combination of <Whatever QB Buffalo will be running out there> and Greg Roman is anything but bad news for Shady in Buffalo. He couldn't get it done last year on 300+ behind a good offensive line, why will he be worth a top pick behind a much worse offensive line? So many red flags on him.

Again, talking Fantasy here. In real life, I loved Shady as a back. Exciting to watch, etc.

Also known as "upside down" drafting, nothing new - Rotoviz didn't invent it. I'd say it really depends on your league. If you play in a 10 or 12 team league and it is PPR, you can probably pull this off pretty well. If you play with sharks, it really depends. I play in one league where passing touchdowns are worth 6 points, so it makes Quarterback much more valuable. Starting off going Gronk/Dez/DT/Calvin and then grabbing Rodgers is pretty sweet, but you need to be sure you pick up and identify backs with good upside. You don't want Bishop Sankey as your RB1, no matter how good the rest of your team is.

Also I think this strategy is much easier to do if you pick towards the turn (1 or 10/12) since you can snap off back to back picks to grab two RBs back to back.

Gyshall fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 31, 2015

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Gyshall posted:

He was, at one point. You're kidding yourself if you think the combination of <Whatever QB Buffalo will be running out there> and Greg Roman is anything but bad news for Shady in Buffalo. He couldn't get it done last year on 300+ behind a good offensive line, why will he be worth a top pick behind a much worse offensive line? So many red flags on him.

Again, talking Fantasy here. In real life, I loved Shady as a back. Exciting to watch, etc.

Tyrod is going to run wild :colbert:

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Gyshall posted:

I would agree that he's less than an ideal fit in Buffalo but remember the part of the season in which he struggled the most, the first month and a half, the offensive line was in loving shambles. No Lane, no Kelce, no Mathis. For the record, I was not heartbroken when he was traded but I do think he'll get 1,200-1,300 and 8-9 next year in Buffalo on volume alone. I think Murray will put up about that same line here fwiw.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Gyshall posted:

He got 1300 yards and 5 rushing TDs last year. The TDs are what sunk him, and TDs in fantasy are mostly up to luck/scheme. Greg Roman is bad news for Shady in Buffalo? Did you see how he used Gore in San Francisco? McCoy is going to get a metric poo poo ton of touches between the ground and passing attack and that usage alone is worth a top pick.

If it doesn't work out it doesn't work out, but it's not like picking Shady in the first is ridiculous.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Doltos posted:

Did you see how he used Gore in San Francisco?

Yeah, he destroyed all of Gore's PPR value. McCoy is not as good between the tackles as he is a pass catching back, so you've got to bet (again) on touchdowns for McCoys value. With no threat of a passing attack, you're going to see lots of this:

Not something I'm betting on this season - the Bills might have a ground and pound mentality, but it isn't something to get excited alone on.

e: McCoy finished RB11 last year, and RB17 in Fantasy Points Per Game, arguably in a more favorable system with better talent. I don't see him as a first round pick when there are better RB/WR to pick ahead of him, doubly so in PPR leagues.

doubledit: I'm also staying away from Murray this year, only because Mathews and Sproles are still going to get touches.

Gyshall fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 31, 2015

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

You have some good thoughts here. Two things I'll advise. One, once you have your settings in place, talk to B4TBG about his beersheets. That'll give you a baseline on values. Second, I've noticed a trend in my last few auctions that people actually tend to let the first couple of players go for a lot cheaper then their relative positional value. I think the logic is that, even though they like that guy, they have a couple guys they also like, and want to avoid a bidding war. If you are the first person to put someone up, don't be afraid to target who you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008

Sataere posted:

You have some good thoughts here. Two things I'll advise. One, once you have your settings in place, talk to B4TBG about his beersheets. That'll give you a baseline on values. Second, I've noticed a trend in my last few auctions that people actually tend to let the first couple of players go for a lot cheaper then their relative positional value. I think the logic is that, even though they like that guy, they have a couple guys they also like, and want to avoid a bidding war. If you are the first person to put someone up, don't be afraid to target who you like.

I am absolutely setting my baseline values for my draft off of B4TBG, I have used them the last two years and have finished 3rd both years (terrible playoff luck).

I nominate 3rd but I am definitely looking to see if people are tentative and conservative to see if I can snag a top RB like Charles I just know his average ADP/Auction bid is significantly higher than Beersheets or what I am looking to spend. If they are being conservative I will try and sneak in one of my guys but if not I think I am putting up a QB and getting someone to burn money on Peyton Manning (who I want nothing to do with this year) or Russell Wilson.

• Locked thread