Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ordered my js-3...and also a tamiya Matilda that was in the suggested items list beneath the product description. drat you, Amazon. I haven't even gotten out of bed yet and I've already ordered tanks. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I'm out. No local store has it (out of 30+), and gently caress international shipping.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 31, 2015

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I haven't even gotten out of bed yet and I've already ordered tanks.

Living the dream.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I suppose I'll get in on this if only to force myself to build something.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Greyhawk posted:

If you use a nail with a larger head than the hole in the yoke instead of soldering in the bottom rod than there's nothing to break. Of course that will pretty much deprive you of the option of standing up the assembly from the mount base.

Kinda like this:

which coincidentally led to this little thing I made yesterday (Disregard the pulley block. It's bad and wrong and will be redone.

Thanks - the nail won't work for me because the rod I'm using is sized perfectly to drop into the bases I inserted into the wood for mounting. I'd still need to solder it or affix the nail to the yoke in some fashion too, but it's a good idea to keep in mind for future stuff.

Nice looking carronade. Does the jack-screw work? :)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I put down some grass. It always expands beyond where I want it even if there's no glue. It's like the staticyness welds it to everything in sight. I also finally zapped my self with the applicator, it made a bit blue spark but didn't actually hurt so now I'm over my fear of it. Mine's powered by a 9v battery, my friend made one powered by 120v, I ain't touching that one!

My sort of attempt at flowering Scottish broom

Static grass is really easy to apply and you can make your own applicator for like $10 or less. Anyone doing little dioramas or figure bases should really check it out. You just attach a tea strainer to a fly zapper and you're done.

Mine is a piece of garbage I made without even soldering anything.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 31, 2015

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

The Locator posted:

Does the jack-screw work? :)

Not yet. But now I have an irrational desire to do this. :ohdear:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Pierzak posted:

I'm out. No local store has it (out of 30+), and gently caress international shipping.
Where are you? International shipping isn't bad from here.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Greyhawk posted:

Not yet. But now I have an irrational desire to do this. :ohdear:

My work here is done.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Where are you? International shipping isn't bad from here.

Poland. But it's more the hassle than the expense.

And speaking of hassle, I finally found one local store that has it. It requires entering a landline phone # to place an order :psyduck: (no, not a mobile #, there's a separate space for that). And when you do enter the number, it switches the two spaces and sends you an order confirmation with an empty number, a reminder to "check if your phone # is correct because we can't send your order otherwise" (it's a normal package, for gently caress's sake), and of course does not provide a reply email, no, you have to look for it specifically :doh:

I think I know why they still have the model, no one wanted to shop there. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be a hosed webstore and they were actually out.

At least they provide the store's number so I can call them tomorrow and scream at someone until they straighten this out v:shobon:v

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 31, 2015

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Just ordered my IS-3. It will be here around August 10th-12th.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Well, I'm in. :10bux: to Amazon, it'll be here Tuesday.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Baronjutter posted:

My sort of attempt at flowering Scottish broom

Static grass is really easy to apply and you can make your own applicator for like $10 or less. Anyone doing little dioramas or figure bases should really check it out. You just attach a tea strainer to a fly zapper and you're done.

Mine is a piece of garbage I made without even soldering anything.

I like the Scottish Broom, looks good.

What's the theory behind the applicator? I've always just poured static grass on and tapped the base - but that's usually been 30mm scale or so.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Warmachine posted:

Same here. :toot: Excited to start on it!

Started on Spitfire attempt 2 a few days ago. This time I went with a Tamiya kit.

Primed and camouflaged.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Warmachine posted:

Same. I stopped on the way home at the local hobby store, but they didn't have it, so I bought some glue and misc. stuff is all, and ordered the kit from Amazon. Was hoping to work on it over the weekend if my store had the kit, but oh well.

Also, holy poo poo 3 hour commute home today (including the hobby store stop).. terrible.

Edit: For a tank will I need putty? If so, what kind? Also microsol and microset or just apply decals on a gloss finish (like Pledge)?

wtfbacon
Mar 26, 2015
I'd join in on the group build, but I've got too much on my bench as it stands. I'm starting classes again in November, so my modeling time is going to vaporize quickly. My desire is to finish all my in-progress builds before 11/2. Here's the list...
  • KO'ed Dragon Panzer III J diorama - tank is currently base coated with decals
  • Stand alone Dragon Ferdinand - currently base coated with decals
  • Bogged Tamiya JSU-152 diorama - tank is painted, weathered, and stuck to base, just need to do the groundwork
  • Stand alone Dragon Jagdpanther w/resin Zimmerit - currently about 80% built
  • Stand alone Dragon King Tiger w/molded Zimmerit - 60% built
  • Stand alone Dragon T-34 - 40% built
  • Stand alone Eduard F6F-5 Hellcat - 60% built
Ugh... as I actually put this list into writing, I realize there's probably no way it's going to happen. I'd have to finish one every two weeks (read: ~10 hrs of free building time) in order to even come close to knocking them out by 11/2. Maybe I'll just aim for finishing half of them. :(

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

wtfbacon posted:

I'd join in on the group build, but I've got too much on my bench as it stands.

Ugh... as I actually put this list into writing, I realize there's probably no way it's going to happen. I'd have to finish one every two weeks (read: ~10 hrs of free building time) in order to even come close to knocking them out by 11/2. Maybe I'll just aim for finishing half of them. :(

Sounds like you just need to prioritize your time better. :colbert:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm going back to college in late September myself. Pick one project, get it done, move on if you have time. That's how I'll be de-stressing for the next two years I guess.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
this group build thing sounds fun, i'll try to join if I can get a hold of the kit in time.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sanguine posted:

I like the Scottish Broom, looks good.

What's the theory behind the applicator? I've always just poured static grass on and tapped the base - but that's usually been 30mm scale or so.

It's just like how when you rub a balloon it makes your arm hairs stand up as it passes over it. The applicator creates a static pull that makes all the grass stand straight up and it dries like that. I put down a glue-water mix, stick the loose wire from the fly zapper into the puzzle of water, sprinkle the charged static grass over the area, then once it's dry hit it with hairspray. It creates a pretty durable grass. My wife put her hand right on a patch and I was able to just sort of brush it back up.

If I didn't use the applicator it would just look like a pile of hay or grass clippings.

wtfbacon
Mar 26, 2015

The Locator posted:

Sounds like you just need to prioritize your time better. :colbert:

Ha. Perhaps. My primary goal - aside from maintaining a happy household with my wife and kid, as well as not get fired from my day job - is to cross a marathon off my bucket list before 11/2 as well. So, I'm putting in many hours a week pounding the pavement. Tomorrow morning is a 12 miler. Ugh.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Locator posted:

Edit: For a tank will I need putty? If so, what kind? Also microsol and microset or just apply decals on a gloss finish (like Pledge)?

Putty isn't absolutely required in a tank, with the prevalence of right angles. You can do some interesting additional effects though, like welding beads, or a cast metal texture on the turret. I'm not sure if the model already includes a cast metal texture on it (probably not), but Russia used very coarse sand molds to cast their tank turrets, so the finished surface was very rough and pitted.

Microsol/set would be good to use as well. Any model with decals can benefit from those.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Everytime I visit a japanese model shop I wish I liked the Gundam aesthetic more, because drat if there are not a lot of those kits. So it's nice that I finally have a good reason to throw money at Bandai. The 1/12 landspeeder comes with a multi-posable scout trooper which looks real fun, and I have special plans for the scout vehicle used by an evil regime and comes in 1/48...

I was tempted to get a full hull WW2 ship, maybe next time.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

... where do you think pigments come from?

Tamiya Extra Thin, Tenax, Ambroid, Plast-I-Weld. Any thin solvent should do the trick.

Testors also makes a thin brush on plastic cement, which may be easier to find than Tamiya in some places. Definitely avoid the crap in a tube, though.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I found the IS-3 online at Udisco and Imperial Hobbies, but neither of them have shipping costs on their website. Have any of you used them before? What's shipping like?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I wanted to show the front bumper of the 30CWT as if it was a rusty replacement part scavenged from a scrap yard or something, to add a bit or character to the model, so last night I banged out this:

I'm done now bar waiting on these new detail brushes to be delivered so I can finalise the chipping, so I got this delivered today as a next project, it's proper dinky and I'm very much looking forward to getting it assembled.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Very nice, that exact SdKfz 222 kit was one of the first 1:35th vehicles I built. I don't think I did it justice, but it's a great little kit.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ensign Expendable posted:

I found the IS-3 online at Udisco and Imperial Hobbies, but neither of them have shipping costs on their website. Have any of you used them before? What's shipping like?

I've never used either, but that link I posted when mulling over the IS-3 is for an American store in Connecticut with reasonable rates, if that helps.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

big_g posted:

I'm done now bar waiting on these new detail brushes to be delivered so I can finalise the chipping, so I got this delivered today as a next project, it's proper dinky and I'm very much looking forward to getting it assembled.

Any chance you could return it? The Tamiya kit is an OLD rear end kit from the 70's in a new box. The Hobby Boss kit of the same subject is much newer tooling and more accurate.

The Tamiya kit isn't terrible or anything, but there about 5 different photoetch sets out there to bring it up to modern standards.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Any chance you could return it? The Tamiya kit is an OLD rear end kit from the 70's in a new box. The Hobby Boss kit of the same subject is much newer tooling and more accurate.

The Tamiya kit isn't terrible or anything, but there about 5 different photoetch sets out there to bring it up to modern standards.

Aaaah that is a shame. I'm not going to return it in this instance as I just wanted a fun little build to do before I move onto something bigger but thanks for the advice.

Very nice, that exact SdKfz 222 kit was one of the first 1:35th vehicles I built. I don't think I did it justice, but it's a great little kit.

Got any pics?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
If you wanted a cheap little kit, Tamiya light armoured cars also come without photo etch and cost about half as much. I posted a 221 earlier in this thread, I had a lot of fun with it.

http://i.imgur.com/SKVQbOSl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PouHe3tl.jpg

The 222 doesn't look as good... I'm on mobile so it's hard to find pictures, but there are some earlier in the thread.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

big_g posted:

Aaaah that is a shame. I'm not going to return it in this instance as I just wanted a fun little build to do before I move onto something bigger but thanks for the advice.

Should still be a fun build. This is where Scalemates comes in handy. It lets you see the lineage of a kit, and whether you're getting something new, or something old in a new box. Check out the page for this very kit:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/128398-tamiya-35270-sd-kfz-222-leichter-panzerspaehwagen-4x4

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

If you wanted a cheap little kit, Tamiya light armoured cars also come without photo etch and cost about half as much. I posted a 221 earlier in this thread, I had a lot of fun with it.

http://i.imgur.com/SKVQbOSl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PouHe3tl.jpg

The 222 doesn't look as good... I'm on mobile so it's hard to find pictures, but there are some earlier in the thread.

Only ones I can find are from July 2010 and the waffleimage links have perished. Never mind I'll make sure to let you all know how it goes.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
If you want a fun build, get one of the early trumpeter 1/32 migs, the ones that come with the photoetch hinges for the control surfaces and the incorrect canopies

(that is, all of them)

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Ventured down to the one shop in town that wasn't answering calls, turns out they had the IS-3! They also had a 1:30th scale IS-3 from the USSR (no year on the box) which I'm definitely looking forward to cracking open. To complete the IS-3 trifecta, there was also an HO scale one by Airfix that looked like something a child might draw if asked to draw a tank. I didn't buy that one even for comedy value, as it was somehow the most expensive of the 3.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ventured down to the one shop in town that wasn't answering calls, turns out they had the IS-3! They also had a 1:30th scale IS-3 from the USSR (no year on the box) which I'm definitely looking forward to cracking open. To complete the IS-3 trifecta, there was also an HO scale one by Airfix that looked like something a child might draw if asked to draw a tank. I didn't buy that one even for comedy value, as it was somehow the most expensive of the 3.
It's the same thing, just in a much older box. Probably a premium for oldschool collectors. :10bux: says your one has a 1960's copyright stamped on the sprue somewhere. I had no luck locally, so grabbed one from Ebay. Should be here sometime next week.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Alrighty, IS-3 is on the way. This is the kit that looks like a half-blind man's version of the is-3 after seeing a soviet parade in black and white on a 12" tv, right?

In other news I'm making some progress on the Pz IV. Chipping than oils and then the hull and turret are about done - then the Shurzen and figures. I rarely enjoy putting some much work into something, so here's hoping I don't rush the end.

Also someone please talk me out of buying the 1/350 Tamiya Tirpitz - the LHS has in on sale and I've just started playing WoWS...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's the one alright. Welcome to crapkit building!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Speaking of crappy kits, why do so many older crappy plane kits have positive panel lines, i.e. instead of lines being recessed, they actually stand out from the surface? It's not like the technology of scoring a line is a new-fangled invention that wasn't available to to the person making the master model way back when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I'm wanting to get an airbrush kit to spray stuff with duracoat, specifically guns. I have only done a tiny bit of research so just trying to figure out what all I need and what I should get.

Brush
Compressor
Moisture Trap
Pressure Regulator

I'm not made of money so I'd like to do this as inexpensive as possible but not so cheap that I'll only get 2-3 jobs before everything goes to hell.

I found this kit but I don't know if it's worth a poo poo.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_22788_22788

I'm completely lost on compressors. I'd like something that would be quiet enough that I could work in the garage or basement without waking up my wife and 6 month old.