Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

graph posted:

iirc this is because no one wrote true usb drivers for the device, only serial-emulated drivers over usb

the explanation was people (China) started making cheapo devices with a usb serial number of 000000 or whatever and having two in at once would crash windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
apple just removed the usb ports.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shaggar posted:

iirc theres also something about usb device ids not being trustworthy so 2 devices can have the same unique id or something so they install drivers based on a combo of device id + port

yeah not sure but in a zeroclient environment there's usb poo poo that works and usb that doesnt and boy golly the poo poo that doesnt is real frustrating

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

usb serial numbers aren't unique because of bootleg poo poo I guess

see also: MAC address

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

I"M GOING IN BALLS_FIRST

mister negative
Jun 2, 2004

Salad Prong
That picture is making me physically ill. It's like it was designed to be maximally disturbing.

mister negative
Jun 2, 2004

Salad Prong
I just realized the closest feeling. It's like watching a 3d movie and trying to focus on the background in a fast moving scene.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Shaggar posted:

iirc theres also something about usb device ids not being trustworthy so 2 devices can have the same unique id or something so they install drivers based on a combo of device id + port

ebdnigo ver backwards to excuse a lack of basic functioantly

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

duTrieux. posted:

I"M GOING IN BALLS_FIRST

50 shades of grey

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shaggar posted:

apple just removed the usb ports.

nah they left one

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

computer parts posted:

nah they left one

what are you some kind of expert on.... oh

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
it's been sitting here for about 30 minutes

and that's why microsoft is cool again.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

zero cool?

mister negative
Jun 2, 2004

Salad Prong
Feel free to keep using your PC.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Millstone posted:

it's been making GBS threads here for about 30 minutes

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Millstone posted:

perhaps it is a sign, that you should not be doing this thing

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the driver installation thing is because Windows is built around having persistent configuration information saved in the registry for every single device you attach to your computer instead of just being entirely stateless and working automatically

nobody puts unique serial numbers in their devices because it would add 2¢ to the cost, so Windows links the configuration to the vendor/product/port tuple instead and it adds the port to the tuple because the user might connect two of the same devices at the same time and it has to store multiple separate instances of the configuration information somewhere

and that's why plugging in a USB device takes forever and loses your settings

real operating systems refuse to talk to hardware that doesn't have the OS vendor supplied lockout chip and the OS vendor doesn't give the lockout chip to anybody that half-asses the hardware design to cut costs

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

thos eimages would be more helpful if they didn't look like they were created by a rambling schizophrenic

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

timecube diagrams ar emore readable than that

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The Losethos School of Design

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

duTrieux. posted:

thos eimages would be more helpful if they didn't look like they were created by a rambling schizophrenic
but they were

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Millstone posted:

according to some poo poo I read, this is expected and how it works in windows 8 too. it says downloading but it's actually doing some other junk in the background to prepare. due to the design of the software, the installer can't predict the other part, so just goes straight to saying its downloading. it's the same with windows update in my Experience.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

i've found that not having any friends, be they on facebook or skype to be the surest safeguard of my wifi's wpa2 truename

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

The Losethos School of Design

something happened because that's what god said

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

PleasureKevin posted:

something happened because that's what god said
God says "TELEMETRY": "disabled" sets It to 1. Have to have "enabled" AND set to 0 AND have enterprise to completely disable

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Millstone posted:

i'm the inability to restart a program

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Dodoman posted:

i'm the inability to restart a program
it stayed like that for 90 minutes and wouldn't even force close from task manager.it is a piece of poo poo

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

okay which of you is this

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
updating to win10 while i'm at work

oh boy

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
the more i use windows 10 the more it feels like a kde theme

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
gently caress, why isn't it offering the update to me, i wan't to use a terrible os!

i'm going to try rebooting, that usually fixes things

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wheany posted:

gently caress, why isn't it offering the update to me, i wan't to use a terrible os!

i'm going to try rebooting, that usually fixes things
you have to fiddle with registry settings to force it, but please be aware that it is doing you a favor

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

duTrieux. posted:

I"M GOING IN BALLS_FIRST

im guessing these two similar dialogs are colored differently because one's originally from xp and the other's originally from vista?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Triglav posted:

im guessing these two similar dialogs are colored differently because one's originally from xp and the other's originally from vista?

The first is likely from 95

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
lol what the hell there's lag when you use volume keys on the keyboard to change the volume up or down, like the volume slider thing randomly appears on the top left part of the desktop and slowly inches upward however many clicks you've clicked even though you've already stopped clicking seconds ago

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
also may as well post it here

chrome, firefox and windows update window all looking good

the only thing indicating which non chrome window is in focus is the light blue vertical bars on the sides of the window changing between light grey and light blue

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

DaNzA posted:

the only thing indicating which non chrome window is in focus is the light blue vertical bars on the sides of the window changing between light grey and light blue

don't forget the 1 px-wide blue border around every active window

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

don't forget the 1 px-wide blue border around every active window

actually the 1 pixel boarder only exist near the middle top of the active window while the sides doesn't have that one pixel protrusion as you can see from my pic of the setting window

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

DaNzA posted:

lol what the hell there's lag when you use volume keys on the keyboard to change the volume up or down, like the volume slider thing randomly appears on the top left part of the desktop and slowly inches upward however many clicks you've clicked even though you've already stopped clicking seconds ago
yeah that's in windows 8 as well and really annoying

i'm pretty sure the logitech software i use overrides that drat feature but every so often it appears to bother me

• Locked thread