Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

pandaK posted:

Alright, gonna pre-empt all the obvious replies here for what I'm about to ask, I know what I'm getting into.

Are there any gaming mice that go beyond the 12 button thumbpads of MMO mice? I looked into gaming keypads which contain much more keys than a mouse, exactly what I need, but I realized that those are more of a keyboard replacement and not a mouse. Are there any mice that combine the increased button capabilities of a gaming pad like what I'm describing? For history, I'm coming from using the Logitech G600 which is a very fine mouse that I will continue to use in other games that require more precision; however, I just want a mouse specifically for MMOs that go beyond that sort of thing. Yes, I'm looking for "that" kind of mouse, if such a thing exists.

This is the only one I've seen with more buttons than the G600 and its like. I suspect it's not very good due to pretty much vanishing from the market in a couple of years and it just looks clumsy to use, but here's the 18 button Warmouse Meta:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WARMOUSE-ME...=item25aa4e5f47

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Rexxed posted:

This is the only one I've seen with more buttons than the G600 and its like. I suspect it's not very good due to pretty much vanishing from the market in a couple of years and it just looks clumsy to use, but here's the 18 button Warmouse Meta:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WARMOUSE-ME...=item25aa4e5f47

That appears to be a ~gaming~ reskin of the OpenOfficeMouse* which was an infamously terrible product in every way.

* not actually related to OpenOffice in any way, and OpenOffice in fact sent a C&D to the mouse makers to stop them from using the name

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

pandaK posted:

Alright, gonna pre-empt all the obvious replies here for what I'm about to ask, I know what I'm getting into.

Are there any gaming mice that go beyond the 12 button thumbpads of MMO mice? I looked into gaming keypads which contain much more keys than a mouse, exactly what I need, but I realized that those are more of a keyboard replacement and not a mouse. Are there any mice that combine the increased button capabilities of a gaming pad like what I'm describing? For history, I'm coming from using the Logitech G600 which is a very fine mouse that I will continue to use in other games that require more precision; however, I just want a mouse specifically for MMOs that go beyond that sort of thing. Yes, I'm looking for "that" kind of mouse, if such a thing exists.

The G600 can be programmed with 108 different actions ([20 buttons - 2] * [3 modes + G-shift]). What are you doing that needs more than that?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

NihilCredo posted:

That appears to be a ~gaming~ reskin of the OpenOfficeMouse* which was an infamously terrible product in every way.

* not actually related to OpenOffice in any way, and OpenOffice in fact sent a C&D to the mouse makers to stop them from using the name

It is the same mouse, by the same people; that C&D resulted in the new branding. They also shipped very few products, and the software guys gave up after a few releases, though the software suite (as it is) is pretty in-depth and functional, probably the best part of the mouse.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Avulsion posted:

The G600 can be programmed with 108 different actions ([20 buttons - 2] * [3 modes + G-shift]). What are you doing that needs more than that?

Issue mostly being layout of thumbpad compared to a keypad really. I guess I could actually just go for a gaming keypad since most of them come with a joystick so I could use the WASD located keys for actual skill binds. Is that how it works or are keypad joysticks usually finicky about that kind of stuff? Specifically, I've been looking around and the Logitech G13 looks nice for FFXIV. Would I be able to use that joystick properly without doing some weird rebinding or setting the whole game to console mode or is it a huge pain?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Maybe this is a really dumb question but is there any reason you can't map a mouse's side buttons to Shift/Alt/Ctrl and then use QEZXCRFV12345 with those modifiers for everything? The brief time I spent playing FF14 that's what I did, just set one hot bar to Shift+<key>, another to Alt+<key>, etc, and I mean that's upwards of 52 keys right there, not counting all the other buttons in the vicinity.

I don't really play MMOs of that nature very much so I'm genuinely curious how many keys you need or if a layout like that isn't sufficient.

I've been curious about those gaming keypads for a while but I haven't seen one yet with mechanical switches so that's right out as an option :v:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Maybe this is a really dumb question but is there any reason you can't map a mouse's side buttons to Shift/Alt/Ctrl and then use QEZXCRFV12345 with those modifiers for everything? The brief time I spent playing FF14 that's what I did, just set one hot bar to Shift+<key>, another to Alt+<key>, etc, and I mean that's upwards of 52 keys right there, not counting all the other buttons in the vicinity.

I don't really play MMOs of that nature very much so I'm genuinely curious how many keys you need or if a layout like that isn't sufficient.

I've been curious about those gaming keypads for a while but I haven't seen one yet with mechanical switches so that's right out as an option :v:

The new FFXIV expansion increases the combo chain for my favorite class from a 3 button sequence to 4. A 3x4 thumbpad is just not fit to accommodate any kind of sensible flow for that (especially with how the G600 discourages binding the combos in a vertical 1470, 258-, and 369+ manner because of how the buttons are ledged together.).

A non-mechanical switch keypad is fine in my book since the way FFXIV queues up skills kinda eliminates the pros of having one, and if I'm playing a game that benefits from using mechanical keys, then I can just switch back to my proper keyboard.

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 26, 2015

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
For a frequently used combo I'd just make a macro.

And I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to map a series of 4 commands on the 3x4 thumbpad. Why can't you just assign a row of 4 of them to, say, 9/0/-/= and put the 4 commands there?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

GokieKS posted:

For a frequently used combo I'd just make a macro.

And I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to map a series of 4 commands on the 3x4 thumbpad. Why can't you just assign a row of 4 of them to, say, 9/0/-/= and put the 4 commands there?

Macros are discouraged in FFXIV: there are specific ways the skills are queued up along with a skill speed start that changes your global cool down so macros will almost always break and or not cycle through commands fast enough.

Also NO you can't just bind 1234 in a row like that, are you crazy? That would ruin the flow of the binds!!!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

pandaK posted:

Issue mostly being layout of thumbpad compared to a keypad really. I guess I could actually just go for a gaming keypad since most of them come with a joystick so I could use the WASD located keys for actual skill binds. Is that how it works or are keypad joysticks usually finicky about that kind of stuff? Specifically, I've been looking around and the Logitech G13 looks nice for FFXIV. Would I be able to use that joystick properly without doing some weird rebinding or setting the whole game to console mode or is it a huge pain?

I use as g13 and let me tell you, I simply cannot play MMOs without it anymore. I can approximate the experience by switching to RDFG and using the extra buttons that my pinky will have access to but I don't feel as comfortable. Muscle memory makes it so I can press buttons 1-0 without issues while still having buttons to cycle targets, two buttons dedicated to pet actions (with modifiers it means I have full access of pet commands) and the rest for misc UIs.

The joystick I use for UI calls. I don't feel comfortable using it for regular movement when I'm so train to use WASD likes for it. But its convenient to whip out the multitude of UI screens games like FFXIV have.

I use to have a nostromo too but razor makes poo poo quality equipment and it died really soon. Inferior in just about every way and the decrease in key size meant you were forced to either use the nub for movement or use it for longer cooldown abilities.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I use as g13 and let me tell you, I simply cannot play MMOs without it anymore. I can approximate the experience by switching to RDFG and using the extra buttons that my pinky will have access to but I don't feel as comfortable. Muscle memory makes it so I can press buttons 1-0 without issues while still having buttons to cycle targets, two buttons dedicated to pet actions (with modifiers it means I have full access of pet commands) and the rest for misc UIs.

The joystick I use for UI calls. I don't feel comfortable using it for regular movement when I'm so train to use WASD likes for it. But its convenient to whip out the multitude of UI screens games like FFXIV have.

I use to have a nostromo too but razor makes poo poo quality equipment and it died really soon. Inferior in just about every way and the decrease in key size meant you were forced to either use the nub for movement or use it for longer cooldown abilities.

My issue is that I really want to go all or nothing on this: either the joystick is good enough for movement and I bind the entire pad to skills and the like or I stay with WASD movement and don't go crazy with binding skills right next to my movement keys (such as Q and E, especially since in FFXIV they're alternative moving modes compared to A and D that I still occasionally switch up or use simultaneously.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

YggiDee posted:

I'm sorry guys, it's me. I'm the one who likes mice with unnecessary lights. I liked having a Space Mouse to make me feel better about my lovely laptop. I have a good computer now but I'm not about to switch back to a boring mouse.
e: I miss my Sidewinder

This but about mice: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07052007

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Are there any compelling reasons not to buy a G700s?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
You don't already own a battery charger and rechargable AAs to deal with the short battery lifespan. That's about it. It's a great mouse otherwise.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I can just plug it in tho right? I'm not a hardcore gamer these days I just screw around in Witcher 3 for a couple hours at a time, but I would use it to change music or skip around in netflix from across the room - and I do not own rechargeable AAs so

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
I just use it corded 100% of the time. If you plug it back in every day it's going to be fine.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Does the G700s work properly with LGS? Because my G700 sure doesn't (well it's "supported" and being detected and all, but keeps losing its settings/profiles constantly so it's downright unusable until you install a pre-LGS version of SetPoint for it). Also the look is idiotic but I take that over other GAMERZ mice, and it has just enough buttons so I don't really need a telephone mouse.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

orcane posted:

Does the G700s work properly with LGS? Because my G700 sure doesn't (well it's "supported" and being detected and all, but keeps losing its settings/profiles constantly so it's downright unusable until you install a pre-LGS version of SetPoint for it). Also the look is idiotic but I take that over other GAMERZ mice, and it has just enough buttons so I don't really need a telephone mouse.

My G700 does that poo poo all the time when its wired. I don't get it. It never happens in wireless mode.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
I only use it with 'on-board' mode and haven't had any problems with it. I had a problem with the g700 (non-s) where having setpoint installed meant the dpi settings didn't work properly. It wouldn't drop profiles, but the dpi settings were constantly wildly wrong until I nuked every last trace of setpoint off of my computer. Like it would say it was set for 2800, but acted more like 1200. But if I plugged it in a different computer, it would act like the dpi on board settings claimed.

eighty8
Jan 24, 2007
Still waiting after two months on Logitech's tech support/warranty for my Master MX. I think I found some sort of weird tech support black hole over there, I submitted my address to them multiple times and the woman I was working with kept asking for a "complete address" despite me giving them exactly that, it felt like I was get trolled.

Unbelievably negative experience.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I think it's finally time to admit that I need a a replacement for my trusty Logitch G5 v2. What's the modern day equivalent?

e: Master MX? Looks pricey, but good. Considering I got over 10 years use out of the G5, I suppose it's probably worth it if it's going to last as long again. Have wireless mice progressed to the point where the lag is not noticeable for gaming?

ee: I should be more specific. I want a gamine mouse, mostly likely Logitch, doesn't have to have a million buttons though, I don't play MMOs. Something similar to the G5. I don't care if it's wireless or not but if there's any input lag at all then I'll take wired. I really like scroll wheels where you can choose to have them clicky or free wheeling. I'm now looking at the G402 and G502, considering the G602 but it's quite a price jump for wireless.

chippy fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jul 31, 2015

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

chippy posted:

I think it's finally time to admit that I need a a replacement for my trusty Logitch G5 v2. What's the modern day equivalent?

e: Master MX? Looks pricey, but good. Considering I got over 10 years use out of the G5, I suppose it's probably worth it if it's going to last as long again. Have wireless mice progressed to the point where the lag is not noticeable for gaming?

ee: I should be more specific. I want a gamine mouse, mostly likely Logitch, doesn't have to have a million buttons though, I don't play MMOs. Something similar to the G5. I don't care if it's wireless or not but if there's any input lag at all then I'll take wired. I really like scroll wheels where you can choose to have them clicky or free wheeling. I'm now looking at the G402 and G502, considering the G602 but it's quite a price jump for wireless.

You probably want the G502, it's their most full featured wired laser mouse and it has the scroll wheel toggle. The G402 is also good but doesn't have as many features.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Ynglaur posted:

Does anybody actually say, "I want a mouse that lights up like a loving rave dancer. I want a Superbowl halftime show coming out of my hand."? Goo, talk to your friends in Marketing. I'm genuinely curious.

I dont know what it is but I seem to have some weird fascination with lighting. I've got RGB LED strips all over the apartment and several keyboards and mice (and my PC) that glow like the sun. White Auto-LED lights in the bathroom and cupboards, and on the terrace and balcony. I love lights

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

chippy posted:

G502 is great, best Mouse I've owned since the MS Sidewinder, god I miss that thing

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Astrobastard posted:

G502 is great, best Mouse I've owned since the MS Sidewinder, god I miss that thing

The Sidewinder X8? I loved the gently caress out of that mouse. Best wireless/wired gaming mouse I've ever owned. If someone made something with similar ergonomics and button layout, I'd buy the gently caress out of it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Microsoft please make more Sidewinders, we all want more Sidewinders.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Astrobastard posted:

I dont know what it is but I seem to have some weird fascination with lighting. I've got RGB LED strips all over the apartment and several keyboards and mice (and my PC) that glow like the sun. White Auto-LED lights in the bathroom and cupboards, and on the terrace and balcony. I love lights

Well, I guess that answers my question. :negative:

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Tornhelm posted:

The Sidewinder X8? I loved the gently caress out of that mouse. Best wireless/wired gaming mouse I've ever owned. If someone made something with similar ergonomics and button layout, I'd buy the gently caress out of it.

Still using mine, going strong after like six years as long as I clean the cat hair out of the wheel every few months. :c00lbutt:

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

My first generation razer naga mouse has finally broken down, and I am looking for a new gaming mouse. I am currently thinking about madcatz rat mmo 7, does anyone have any experience with the mouse?

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

pandaK posted:

My issue is that I really want to go all or nothing on this: either the joystick is good enough for movement and I bind the entire pad to skills and the like or I stay with WASD movement and don't go crazy with binding skills right next to my movement keys (such as Q and E, especially since in FFXIV they're alternative moving modes compared to A and D that I still occasionally switch up or use simultaneously.

I used a g13 for wow for years and couldn't manage without it. Wasd bound to the joystick, and jump to the bottom right key covered everything movement wise, the central bank of keys for binds, the left keys for modifiers, and mouse buttons for twitch skills. Not sure how ffiv works but it's really easy to use for both movement and rotation without needing to move your hand.

I don't play wow any more but still find it useful for other games with more keys than you can fit on a five button mouse.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
If I'm using an old model Logitech G400 (pre- :rice: ,) and I just want a new version of that, is the G402 the mouse that I want?

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

After my 3rd or 4th Deathadder started dying I decided to look around for a new mouse. Found out the Mionix Naos 7000 had a comparable sensor so I decided to give a shot. Still has the feel and digging the shape. Works perfect with my palm grip. I much prefer optical sensors so hopefully it will last longer.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I bought a G303 thanks to the feedback here, and yeah it's pretty loving great. It may not be as wide and pucky as the G9X (rip) but I like the grip a thousand times better than the G502. Also it looks way nicer and doesn't have that awful textured bottom.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 4, 2015

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Does the MX Master ever go on sale? I've been keeping my eyes peeled, but haven't even been able to find history of a deal outside a used Amazon Warehouse one for like $70-80.

Edit: I'm retarded, I just noticed all the "This new mouse is the best!" articles are from March of this year. :doh: Guess I'll keep dragging my MX518 further towards its horrible demise for now.

surc fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 4, 2015

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So for some reason this turdball mouse is the most comfortable mouse I've ever used, but it only comes in wireless form. Does anyone know of anything similar in form to this except wired?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

surc posted:

Does the MX Master ever go on sale? I've been keeping my eyes peeled, but haven't even been able to find history of a deal outside a used Amazon Warehouse one for like $70-80.

Edit: I'm retarded, I just noticed all the "This new mouse is the best!" articles are from March of this year. :doh: Guess I'll keep dragging my MX518 further towards its horrible demise for now.
I upgraded from the MX518 to G502. No regrets.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

lamentable dustman posted:

After my 3rd or 4th Deathadder started dying I decided to look around for a new mouse. Found out the Mionix Naos 7000 had a comparable sensor so I decided to give a shot. Still has the feel and digging the shape. Works perfect with my palm grip. I much prefer optical sensors so hopefully it will last longer.

What happened to your Deathadders? I bought a Deathadder Chroma two months ago and like it minus the fact that it doesn't have a smooth-scrolling mouse wheel (I also turned all the lighting off).

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey dudes, looking to possibly replace my mouse. I'm currently running a G9X; wondering if anything better's come out within the last 7 years since I bought it. I'm looking for a scrollwheel that can switch between free and click (ideally with a clutch auto-switcher like the MX-revolution; that was awesome), and ideally a grip where your palm isn't on the mouse, like the G9. Needs to have foward/back thumb buttons, and the scroll wheel needs to tilt. Any suggestions? If not, may stick with what I have.

Do wireless mice still lag?

It looks like the Logitch G502 may be my best bet; looks super dorky though. The top review for it on Amazon's a favourable comparison to the G9. No clutch scroll though.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 4, 2015

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Dominoes posted:

I'm currently running a G9X...ideally a grip where your palm isn't on the mouse, like the G9.

The G502 is a palm grip mouse. You want the G303, which is the best G9x replacement Logitech (or anyone?) has. Unfortunately you won't have the ungearable scrollwheel.

There's comments on the last few pages about people with this exact dilemma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I upgraded from the MX518 to G502. No regrets.

Yeah, I've been eyeing that (and you can get it for $20 off for part of a back to school thing --under 'play'-- http://www.bts2015.logitech.com/en-us/home if anybody's looking for it. There's also a contest to enter to win some free stuff but I don't know if it's physically possible to link that without sticking an affiliate thing onto it so just go check it out I guess) .

I'm thinking I might like to go wireless though, I've switched from a desktop to a laptop setup because I'm going to be on the road, so I imagine I might actually find it useful.