Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Arquinsiel posted:

"Imperial Balkania", obviously :colbert:

7th Rome! :agesilaus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Splode posted:

Chinese Romanisation systems are probably a big part of why hardly anybody outside China knows any Chinese history. Pinyin is a train wreck.

I was under the assumption that the reason for this was that the guy behind Chinese Romanization was some unbelievably eccentric Oxford don type who defended the right to write down "Daoism" as "Taoism" till his dying breath and he was just exhausting to deal with and in the end nobody could be bothered.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Greater Illyria

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Funny you should say that, Illyria was the name of the first South-Slavic unification project, in fact. The idea began as early as the early modern period, though it didn't reach maturity until its revival by Croatian intellectuals in the early 19th century.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

P-Mack posted:

General Zuo Zongtang did not actually invent that chicken dish, though.

Let the record show I have grave doubts about "Colonel" Sander's military credentials.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

He was a Kentucky colonel, which should not be confused with anything respectable, but yet is not technically fake.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Kind of like being Colonel in Chief of a regiment I guess.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

The Greater United Republic Of Mountains And More Mountains.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Baklavoltron.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Kebabistan.

Tias
May 25, 2008

dublish posted:

Kebabistan.

This is actually the name of a popular chain of kebab joints here in Denmark! It's Egyptian-owned, though.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tias posted:

This is actually the name of a popular chain of kebab joints here in Denmark! It's Egyptian-owned, though.

[mapthread]
The founder of the Muhammad Ali dynasty of Egypt was an Albanian, so it counts.
[/mapthread]

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

P-Mack posted:

Megaslavia.

That sounds like a Serbian Megadeth tribute band.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

...Aryan Hegemony?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Frostwerks posted:

...Aryan Hegemony?

poo poo... he believed in 2 AH's then!

Alternative Healing

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

Not just one, but two of those lovely/terrible maps that I know you lot are so very fond of. We're using them to investigate the plan for a breakout at ANZAC Cove, with Suvla Bay to follow tomorrow. Meanwhile, Herbert Sulzbach continues moving forward past his old battlefields, and the Siege of Saisi enters its final phase.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
There was no reason to fight Japan, rly

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Goddamn weeaboos! :freep:

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Can someone tell me about flamethrowers? I'm looking to do a bit of writing about them and want to know all I can.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Thanqol posted:

Can someone tell me about flamethrowers? I'm looking to do a bit of writing about them and want to know all I can.

they're bad, op

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad
The Land That Hates Vowels, or in the local tongue Kmrtsv Prtchny

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

quote:

Q: In what sense?

A: Well, he was of the opinion that it was necessary to fight Hitler and Germany, and I agree with him completely. And Hitler and Germany were a starkly and unarguably evil sort of political development in Europe. But when it came to the Japanese, I think he was, he couldn’t understand why it was necessary to fight Japan. What were we actually trying to accomplish?

I need to cut something all of a sudden.

PART 2 posted:

Q: Do you have any take on the Nanking Massacre?

A: I agree I think with … on I think my take is probably different than Okawa Sensei. I remember translating his speeches about Nanking, and I disagree with him in that sense very much. There’s a very good book about … this forced abduction and sex slaves is just not true. It’s simply not true. But there’s a really good book, I’m sure you know of it, it’s … I agree with Hata Ikuhiko Sensei largely. I read this book by Higashinakano, and so I think I have to make a distinction here. The book, The Rape of Nanking, the book itself I think is deeply flawed and many of the photographs that appear in that book I think are probably not from Nanking even though they are gruesome photographs, they’re just awful, I mean the pictures like this of all the people it’s awful.

:kheldragar:

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 31, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Holy poo poo, he's basically weeb David Irving.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I want that guy to get murdered.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Anyone who goes around unironically referring to people as "sensei" during English language correspondence almost certainly should be used for bayonet practice.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

It has everything! He even throws shade at FDR for being a potential dirty commie

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Klaus88 posted:

Goddamn weeaboos! :freep:
Seems to be the website of some cult actually. Click onto the About section.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Arquinsiel posted:

Seems to be the website of some cult actually. Click onto the About section.

quote:

The Liberty Web is a place for those seeking the enlightenment of Master Ryuho Okawa. 

quote:

Master Okawa, founder of Happy Science, is a living Buddha of the 21st century and a World Teacher of True Happiness. In the tradition of Shakyamuni Buddha, Jesus Christ, Confucius, and Moses, Master Okawa teaches the Truth and the principles that bring people true happiness and open the path to a new and better era. His teachings incorporate all truths discovered by enlightened humans that have become shining beacons of light throughout human history and creates new guiding principles necessary for contemporary society to live in peace, harmony and prosperity.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
How can you not like something called Happy Science, sign me up

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I fail to see how that has any effect on the accuracy of my statement about "goddamn weeaboos :freep:"!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

This is amazingly terrible

Tias
May 25, 2008

Weab retard posted:

Q: Do you have any take on the Nanking Massacre?

A: I agree I think with … on I think my take is probably different than Okawa Sensei. I remember translating his speeches about Nanking, and I disagree with him in that sense very much. There’s a very good book about … this forced abduction and sex slaves is just not true. It’s simply not true. But there’s a really good book, I’m sure you know of it, it’s … I agree with Hata Ikuhiko Sensei largely. I read this book by Higashinakano, and so I think I have to make a distinction here. The book, The Rape of Nanking, the book itself I think is deeply flawed and many of the photographs that appear in that book I think are probably not from Nanking even though they are gruesome photographs, they’re just awful, I mean the pictures like this of all the people it’s awful.

Why could this guys ancestors not be the ones with bamboo spears shoved up their anus so they could die before begetting his dumb rear end, and non-terrible people go free? :sigh:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

quote:

Q: I think America has a tendency to demand total surrender, looking at Iraq, Vietnam, and back on history. I wonder why it demands total surrender.

A: I’m trying to figure it out, I really can’t figure it because to my mind, it begins in the Civil War, this policy of total surrender. I thinking of calling the article The Yankee Way of War because it’s not a particularly, it’s not a European phenomenon, total surrender, most European wars have been negotiated peaces, ended in negotiated peaces, and the South was ready to negotiate, right?

In some ways perhaps I don’t know, perhaps it’s a Puritan legacy. I was thinking because the Puritans were distinctly Yankee, right, which is sort of Massachusetts and Rhode Island, those sort of upper northeast states, which from a Southern perspective seems to me to be quite foreign, that sort of the Yankee way of looking at things by Yankee I mean northeastern. That way of war continued after the Civil War all the way West. If you look at the way the Americans fought the Native Americans, it was quite brutal and there was no negotiation, there was simply, if you lose, you lose everything.

jeeeeeeeezus christ

Somehow the bit I find most annoying about all this is the way they failed to edit out all his awkward stammering and backtracking that makes him look like even more of a putz than he is, not to mention a chore to read.

A close second is the way the interviewer asks clearly leading questions, though.

If the Ph.D he's trying out for is at all history-related, good luck upgrading from candidate, bubbo.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
This is probably debatable but I'd argue the terms of surrender for the ACW were probably the most generous we've seen in a modern war between major combatants.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

bewbies posted:

This is probably debatable but I'd argue the terms of surrender for the ACW were probably the most generous we've seen in a modern war between major combatants.

1783 Peace of Paris was pretty generous. We let the defeated party keep their king, their colonies, their empire.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

sullat posted:

1783 Peace of Paris was pretty generous. We let the defeated party keep their king, their colonies, their empire.

lol

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Tomn posted:

jeeeeeeeezus christ

Somehow the bit I find most annoying about all this is the way they failed to edit out all his awkward stammering and backtracking that makes him look like even more of a putz than he is, not to mention a chore to read.

A close second is the way the interviewer asks clearly leading questions, though.

If the Ph.D he's trying out for is at all history-related, good luck upgrading from candidate, bubbo.
I suspect his Ph.D is in "Japan Studies" from Happy Science U, and thus nobody cares. Also, turns out that this Ryuho Okawa fellah has been targeted for assassination in the past by Aum Shinrikyo so... yeah, I think we can safely be sure he'll get his doctorate from these guys as long as he toes the line.

Holy gently caress! He's also the re-incarnation of Yoda. OBJECTIONS WITHDRAWN SIGN ME THE gently caress UP.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Tomn posted:

Well, now that you mention it...

http://www.minotdailynews.com/page/blogs.detail/display/1045/Ph-D-candidate-has-meltdown-over-required-diversity-training.html

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

:dogbutton:

So what are these sort of seminars like and are they worth throwing a public shitfit over in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Is it just me or does that website not have a scrollbar on the right? Only ways I could get to the rest of the article was either hitting space or tab.

Nevermind, weird bug apparently.

• Locked thread