Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

spog posted:

And I am crazy, or did someone just post that their dashcam had been stolen by a neighbour, then deleted the post?

Not crazy. My wife called while driving home from work after midnight saying her dashcam was stolen but nothing else was taken (it's a beater civic but it has an ez-pass and a nice stereo). In the morning I went out and found that the glue on the mount failed and it fell and ended up completely out of sight. She parks her car at a public pay lot in NYC and there's a guy there that's hosed with the car in the past so we both immediately thought he swiped it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Thanks. Can the OP put that in the OP?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

two_beer_bishes posted:

Not crazy. My wife called while driving home from work after midnight saying her dashcam was stolen but nothing else was taken (it's a beater civic but it has an ez-pass and a nice stereo). In the morning I went out and found that the glue on the mount failed and it fell and ended up completely out of sight. She parks her car at a public pay lot in NYC and there's a guy there that's hosed with the car in the past so we both immediately thought he swiped it.

I felt really bad for you, so glad it wasn't stolen.

Reminds me of one of my first videos where I didn't set the 'power off' setting correctly:

30 mins of driving, 30 mins of a car park wall, 60mins close-up of the floor of my car, 3 mins of me looking confused.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

spog posted:

I felt really bad for you, so glad it wasn't stolen.

Reminds me of one of my first videos where I didn't set the 'power off' setting correctly:

30 mins of driving, 30 mins of a car park wall, 60mins close-up of the floor of my car, 3 mins of me looking confused.

I was livid since it has only been in the car for a week! Now I'm torn between keeping it on velcro (need to make it so it won't fall off in the heat again) or make it semi-permanent. My wife wants to be able to take it out of the car when she parks at work and at home, but I can see it being forgotten on the day we actually need to rely on the footage.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Laserface posted:

Hes Australian, so he is on the right side of the road.

Clearly he's driving on the left side of the road.

As to right of way, if you assume every person on the road is an idiot you never have to guess who has the right of way.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I was being facetious anyway.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

two_beer_bishes posted:

I was livid since it has only been in the car for a week! Now I'm torn between keeping it on velcro (need to make it so it won't fall off in the heat again) or make it semi-permanent. My wife wants to be able to take it out of the car when she parks at work and at home, but I can see it being forgotten on the day we actually need to rely on the footage.

I use as much of that stiff hook-and-loop tape (like the kind they give you with an EZPass) as I can fit on the back of the camera mount. These types of applications are exactly what it was made for. Have yet to have it fail on me.

This stuff

I'm back in the market for another camera as well, as it looks like my Mini 0803 has taken a poo poo. I'm about done with cheap cams I think, might be time to look into one of the fancy setups.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

FogHelmut posted:

OK, I'm down to the G1W vs the Mobius. I'm not terribly concerned about size.

Regular G1W is $42 on Amazon. Is the battery model that bad in the heat? The capacitor model is $63. I'm moving to Southern California and driving there from NJ, down south to New Orleans and then across through Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona.

Mobius is going to be $90-$100 with the capacitor. Is it twice as good as the G1W? I know its half the size.

I'm kind of afraid to post this, because I'm probably cursing myself, but I've had a battery G1W in Phoenix for over 2.5 years now and it works just fine. Full disclosure - car is parked in the garage at home, and 99% of the time under covered parking at work, so only really gets parked in full sunlight on shopping trips, autocrosses, etc.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, let's see how the X1 does at night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbFqRUmMnvw
Pulling out of a WalMart, figures. Look at those MI/H drop :v:

That thump you hear while I'm blowing my horn is $60 of BBQ flying off my passenger seat and hitting the floor, that's what that delayed GOD .............. DAMMIT was for. I'm in Texas so BBQ is pretty serious business here, it would be a technicality but I think I could have got away with shooting him for that, something about theft of property after dark :clint: I'm kidding I don't even own a gun much less have a CCL

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

The Locator posted:

I'm kind of afraid to post this, because I'm probably cursing myself, but I've had a battery G1W in Phoenix for over 2.5 years now and it works just fine. Full disclosure - car is parked in the garage at home, and 99% of the time under covered parking at work, so only really gets parked in full sunlight on shopping trips, autocrosses, etc.

I've had a g1w for about the same time. It gets parked in the sun. The worst thing that's happened is the suction cup has fallen off twice. :shrug:

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit
So I have a a question for guys. How come no one here uses the Vicovation Marcus series of cameras? They are a bit more expensive but have fantastic manufacturing quality, spytec in NY provides RMA service for them if you buy from them, or you can buy from vicovation through amazon. I have the Marcus 3 for 1.5 years now I think, and its super solid, great at night, perfect 1080p 60fps video (or 2190 at 30fps I think). I had 3 G1Ws (including a G1WH) that died on me within weeks, so I spent the extra and bought this and never regretted it. Techmoan reviewed a new camera recently, K1S and its the first time I've thought of upgrading from my Marcus 3. Does anyone else use it?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

two_beer_bishes posted:

Knock out one of the foglights and install it behind the lens in a waterproof enclosure.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Axim posted:

So I have a a question for guys. How come no one here uses the Vicovation Marcus series of cameras? They are a bit more expensive but have fantastic manufacturing quality, spytec in NY provides RMA service for them if you buy from them, or you can buy from vicovation through amazon. I have the Marcus 3 for 1.5 years now I think, and its super solid, great at night, perfect 1080p 60fps video (or 2190 at 30fps I think). I had 3 G1Ws (including a G1WH) that died on me within weeks, so I spent the extra and bought this and never regretted it. Techmoan reviewed a new camera recently, K1S and its the first time I've thought of upgrading from my Marcus 3. Does anyone else use it?

Someone here has a K1S I believe, although I think the firmware is a bit buggy. an updated firmware may have been released though - it runs similar firmware to the Mini 080x series cameras.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Takes No Damage posted:

Hey guys, let's see how the X1 does at night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbFqRUmMnvw
Pulling out of a WalMart, figures. Look at those MI/H drop :v:

That thump you hear while I'm blowing my horn is $60 of BBQ flying off my passenger seat and hitting the floor, that's what that delayed GOD .............. DAMMIT was for. I'm in Texas so BBQ is pretty serious business here, it would be a technicality but I think I could have got away with shooting him for that, something about theft of property after dark :clint: I'm kidding I don't even own a gun much less have a CCL

Your reaction time was pretty :mediocre:. You should look into that.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it went something like:

Look at this rear end in a top hat edging out, can't wait 2 seconds for me to pass.

Huh he's really pulling out far into the road...

Wait, surely he's not going to just continue out, I mean I'm RIGHT loving here... OSHIT *braaaaaaaaakes*

I can't understand how while I think most people are loving stupid, I continue to consistently overestimate their intelligence :shrug:

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Yep, they actually are out to get you, proceed accordingly.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Knock out one of the foglights and install it behind the lens in a waterproof enclosure.

Interesting idea but I don't care to spend the money to replace the already broken fog enclosures, or really do anything to make the car look nicer. I ordered the suction mount so hopefully that fixes the problem.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Reading up on the K1S it seems to have issues. Is there any bulletproof camera that I can just install and have it actually work without constantly having to be fidgeted with. Now that I have the new car, I plan to hardwire something in. I just need to figure out what camera is actually worth the money.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

Reading up on the K1S it seems to have issues. Is there any bulletproof camera that I can just install and have it actually work without constantly having to be fidgeted with. Now that I have the new car, I plan to hardwire something in. I just need to figure out what camera is actually worth the money.

Mobius. EOT.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

My Mini 0803 has hard locked twice in just under a year. Im happy with it although the form factor isnt the best.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

veedubfreak posted:

Depends on your definition of bulletproof, but after a firmware update and a mem card reformat my X1 has been chugging along for a few weeks now in the Texas summer sun without issue.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

yeah I think the biggest benefit of the Mini series is the firmware updates and the community firmware hacks that add features/support.

I imagine others are similar but its been a lot better than my first lovely dash cam.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
CJing your dashcam is the exact opposite of a bulletproof install-and-forget camera that the OP wants.
I'm not sure one exists at this point.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

smax posted:

Mobius. EOT.

The only time I ever touch mine is if I want to copy some video off it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

spog posted:

The only time I ever touch mine is if I want to copy some video off it.

One day, six months ago I stalled out my car. When I restarted it, I looked up and noticed my Mobius wasn’t on. I unplugged it and plugged it back in (it has a supercap) and it has worked ever since <---------------------------- true story of my only problem ever with a Mobius in 18 months of ownership.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

bobfather posted:

One day, six months ago I stalled out my car. When I restarted it, I looked up and noticed my Mobius wasn’t on. I unplugged it and plugged it back in (it has a supercap) and it has worked ever since <---------------------------- true story of my only problem ever with a Mobius in 18 months of ownership.

I wonder why that had any affect on it. I just bought my second mobius for our other car, this one has the new C lens.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

two_beer_bishes posted:

I wonder why that had any affect on it. I just bought my second mobius for our other car, this one has the new C lens.

I have my Mobius wired into ignition power, not ACC. I’m betting the quick off then on again just confused it.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Now I'm starting to think I have a dud. I've had intermittent shut offs or missing recordings on my Mobius since day one. Sometimes, the camera won't turn on and stay on, and lately it's intermittently failed to record video. I was on battery, so I installed a capacitor and new memory card, but it only recorded 3 seconds of my last outing. Maybe my wiring is bad, I'll have to check that out.

Might be time to order a new one.

And checking the latest video, my date is reset to 1/1/12, so my wiring must be bad.

Final E: Yup, bad USB cable.

JukeboxHerostratus fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 7, 2015

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

bobfather posted:

I have my Mobius wired into ignition power, not ACC. I’m betting the quick off then on again just confused it.

Interesting, I got the new mobius for our golf tdi and I turn it on first to warm the glow plugs before starting it, which disable all accessory power while cranking. I wonder if I'm going to run into that issue.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

~Coxy posted:

CJing your dashcam is the exact opposite of a bulletproof install-and-forget camera that the OP wants.
I'm not sure one exists at this point.

My Powerucc Panorama II has been bulletproof. Only problem I've had is with using a microSD->SD adapter which isn't good in heat.

There is a table here with firmware reliability, but it's probably a subjective measure based on forum posts:
https://dashcamtalk.com/
Still a good starting point.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Once and while my mobius fails to start with the car, but my wiring is janky and I haven't put any effort into figuring it out since unplugging it and plugging it back in fixes it. Doesn't happen a lot though. It's still the dashcam I would recommend though.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

`Nemesis posted:

Once and while my mobius fails to start with the car, but my wiring is janky and I haven't put any effort into figuring it out since unplugging it and plugging it back in fixes it. Doesn't happen a lot though. It's still the dashcam I would recommend though.

Same issue with my Mobius, is probably the wire I've got and how long it is.

I want to replace my Mini 0803 with another Mobius though. Mobius is the best cam. Take note of that if you're in the market for one.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
NSFW/I swear a couple of times

:nws::nws::nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UHTbsobNIo

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like how you doxx the poo poo out of them at the end :) In a perfect world the police would take videos like this and go get some easy traffic fines, but since they didn't kill anyone THIS TIME nothing will come of it.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 11, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I actually contacted a police department across the country and linked them to a facebook video of an rear end in a top hat in a ZR1 blasting down the interstate at 190 mph (in his own words as he laughed). Passing other vehicles. The trooper seemed very interested, but I never heard of any resolution.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
There was a video from my city where this stunned moron of a driver displayed a complete lack of ability of how to operate their vehicle in reverse, taking some 4-5 minutes to back out of a parking spot and hitting one car in the process before driving off. The driver was tracked down and received a ticket for "unsafe backing" after claiming they didn't know they'd hit anything.

You have a serious traffic offence (hit and run) captured on video, along with concrete evidence that this person is not competent to hold a driver's license, and that's all that happens. But heaven loving forfend people go 115 km/h in a 100 km/h zone! That's serious business!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

PT6A posted:

You have a serious traffic offence (hit and run) captured on video, along with concrete evidence that this person is not competent to hold a driver's license, and that's all that happens. But heaven loving forfend people go 115 km/h in a 100 km/h zone! That's serious business! $$income$$

Fixed that for you.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Yep, there are 2 Aurora bike cops out here that used to -always- sit at the same place. Then the speed limit went from 55 to 65 and low and behold they no longer hang out there. Now they hang out where it's still 55 but if you aren't paying attention you pull over after the FINES DOUBLE BECAUSE WE SAY SO sign. God I hate traffic cops. If you want to be a revenue collector, why not just go work for the IRS?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

veedubfreak posted:

Yep, there are 2 Aurora bike cops out here that used to -always- sit at the same place. Then the speed limit went from 55 to 65 and low and behold they no longer hang out there. Now they hang out where it's still 55 but if you aren't paying attention you pull over after the FINES DOUBLE BECAUSE WE SAY SO sign. God I hate traffic cops. If you want to be a revenue collector, why not just go work for the IRS?

Meanwhile how many IRS accountants wish they could do what they do but add riding motorcycles to it? I mean if there was a job that mixed my desk job of video editing with riding motorcycles I'd be on board. I guess there's no job that gets paid for just riding bikes around highways so you gotta mix it with something that makes money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I'm not sure why the Highway Patrol doesn't just set up shop on the HOV (carpool) lane on I-10 every morning. They'd make friggen bank, I swear that every 3rd car is just some person driving along by themselves in that lane, and I understand the fines for doing that are pretty steep. It would have the double effect of big revenue, and making me giggle.