Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

:iit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Average Bear posted:

Okay uhh all my animals are dissolving to death and puking

The rest of the idiot races keep off evil ground for a good reason, silly man! Just make sure that nobody in the future wades around in that disease slop without shoes.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nietzschean posted:

Is the intention to make the custom workshops their own 3-tile by 3-tile image instead of 9 1-tile images arranged in a 3x3 grid? If so then that's pretty great.
That's probably not actually technically possible but it sounds like making them into 9 unique tiles would work.

If nothing else they still need to be tiles for when something is obscuring a square.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zereth posted:

That's probably not actually technically possible but it sounds like making them into 9 unique tiles would work.

If nothing else they still need to be tiles for when something is obscuring a square.

Oh, sure; that would be fine. What I mean is that instead of a workshop consisting of a couple of barrel tiles, a clothing tile, etc., it instead consists of 9 tiles of its own thing. Is that possible? If so then you basically have a 9-tile image even if each of the 9 tiles are only 1/9-th of the image.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Oh, yes. That's very much a thing. I think it should be a working feature right now, but I never got around to figuring the markup system out.

Actually, Meph demonstrated it himself by chopping up the Goblin Alchemist building sprite from Warcraft 2 into 9 slices and then assembling them into an in-game workshop.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

scamtank posted:

The rest of the idiot races keep off evil ground for a good reason, silly man! Just make sure that nobody in the future wades around in that disease slop without shoes.

Ooooh poo poo I didn't know clothes stopped blood syndromes. That explains why no one in the platoon was affected when they killed that titan with poison blood. well workflow amount SHOES 100 it is

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
The detail in this game rocks.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Flesh Forge posted:

It was a joke, a humorous thing people tell each other sometimes. You may not have heard of it in ~ART SCHOOL~.

I didn't know they taught jokes in retard school.

Aydjile
Oct 13, 2013

Survive Adapt Improve

scamtank posted:

GemSet seems like it's the only one that's really pushing to give TWBT the beans. Everything else has too much inertia from the old way of doing things to bother, I guess.

I have so much hope for this tileset. please support this dude. i think it is have great potential!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=151056.0

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.

:kimchi:

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Update!

Toady posted:

You can create your own performance troupes now and get people to travel around with you as entertainers. Potential troupe-mates need to be into the arts or partying, though the magnitudes of those interests don't need to be as high if you have an artistic reputation (and you can get some of that reputation immediately by performing for them). You can kick people out of the band, of course -- I suppose it might come up in practice if a member ends up being predisposed to bar fighting. I was able to collect some peasants from my first village as a demi-god poet by impressing people from house to house with my recitals. The RNG came up with "the Ace Bees" for my first troupe name (you can also pick it yourself), but it was a short and sad tale, unfortunately, since I had to kick everybody out of the troupe to test it.

Insert your own Beatles break-up / night troll kidnapping joke here.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

circ dick soleil posted:

:stare: :iceburn: :catstare: :gonk: :dogbutton: :captainpop:

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
edit:never mind

Airconswitch fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 31, 2015

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Airconswitch posted:

edit:never mind

good call

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
32x32 Gemset is fuckin great. Mifki's work is mindblowing between TWbT and the multiple level viewing. I'm glad tilesets are coming out that take advantage.

Aydjile posted:

I have so much hope for this tileset. please support this dude. i think it is have great potential!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=151056.0

This looks really good, too.

I want to combine that and Gemset because Gemset has great creature/animal/plant sprites but there's basically no workshops or walls/floors done.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 31, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I play in pure ASC II but if something with individual tiles for everything comes out I might switch.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I wonder how your bard buddies will react when your first public performance is in a bandit camp, and the instruments are swords to the face. Will they fight or will they give me Bardsong buffs?

This is Liberal Crime Squad all over again.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

program666 posted:

I play in pure ASC II but if something with individual tiles for everything comes out I might switch.

I believe that's the case with Phobeus. There's a plugin that gives every item its own tile on the ground. Same with workshops.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
This goblin law-giver keeps showing up to chat briefly with my Duke. Should I just slaughter the insolent obvious-spy or is there some benefit to talking to him?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Which civilization is he representing? Nothing says (by default) that all titles and stations of a kingdom have to be held by members of that race.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The elf-king of the Dwarves, Cacame Awemedinade Monípalóthi is perhaps the best example of things not following racial lines.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

scamtank posted:

Which civilization is he representing? Nothing says (by default) that all titles and stations of a kingdom have to be held by members of that race.

Honestly have no idea. I think maybe humans because he has a human guard and comes before the caravans.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Do trees cause FPS hits? I'm getting spikes of down to like 20 FPS at times.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Average Bear posted:

Do trees cause FPS hits? I'm getting spikes of down to like 20 FPS at times.

Yes, especially when they bloom, wilt, or drop fruit.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yes, especially when they bloom, wilt, or drop fruit.

Was hoping to hear that. gently caress you elves

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't think they're the only cause of extra lag in the new version, though. There's something that accumulates as fortresses age, besides the usual suspects. (More animals and dwarves, which can be eliminated by running microforts, and mud/blood/contamination, which can be eliminated by periodically running a cleaning script.)

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

a lovely frame rate
suddenly vanished while we
viewed cherry blossoms

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Elth posted:

This is Liberal Crime Squad all over again.

On that note - when is someone going to make a visualizer/GUI overlay for LCS? :colbert:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I wish I was composed of 25% chance of 50% speed reduction, caused by the web.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
a month later

circ dick soleil posted:

That's some quality timing folks!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I strike the abstract concept in its definition. The words sail off in an arc!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Nietzschean posted:

I wish I was composed of 25% chance of 50% speed reduction, caused by the web.

No wonder it squirms and fidgets.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
FPS death sure does come quick. Only year 4 and I'm at a shaky 40 FPS.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

confound the web

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I thought Dwarf Fortress wasn't supposed to include technology after the Middle Ages. The web was definitely invented after that. Does this mean we get steam power?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Cool name though

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

How does anyone manage to quest in Adventure Mode? I can't manage to navigate worth a drat and directions to quests generally consist of 'it's a few day in THAT direction', so whenever I make an adventurer it's basically time to aimlessly wander the wilderness, because there's not a chance in hell I'm finding my way back to this random hamlet after killing a titan.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
You can look up places by name and quest locations and get a pointer towards them in the 'Q'uest menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I strictly maintain that August is still summer all the way through

quote:

Mission Status

:smugdog: It seems that your generosity knows no bounds. You obviously see the promise of our project, and know that we take our time to keep the promises we make. All good things come to those who wait, and you have been extremely patient. We have to be sure that everything is perfect, or at least capable of producing some amusing bugs we can quickly stomp on.

Congratulations to the generous!

:pram:

quote:

Fun with Numbers

:frogc00l: Thanks to everybody that helped out! It looks like things have shifted between our services a great deal -- the PayPal numbers were at their lowest since 2010 and we still managed to have a very good month. Now we just have to see what happens when there's finally a release under this new system. We still have a lot to clean up. I expect to be switching between modes several times this month to make sure everything is playing nicely together. We also have to finish the last adventure mode promise for the release, which involves being able to make a living in some way as a performer. There isn't much in the way of a sensible economy, of course, so we won't need to or be able to spend a lot of time on this, but there'll be something there.

Jul: $4881.87
Jun: $5520.39

There's also a new FotF dump. I found this bit interesting:

quote:

Q: How are the outcomes of world gen battles resolved? I've sometimes seen severely outnumbered armies win the battle despite losing three quarters of their warriors and their leader, with the enemy leader still alive and their casualties moderate. I also think that the leader's skills matter.

A: It's sort of tragic the way it pairs things piece by piece -- skill matters a lot and can lead to unrealistic scenarios when non-hf groups get chewed up like dynasty warriors, 10 at a time. We wanted to fit a more final system into the overall army rewrite, with lines and terrain and that sort of thing, but we haven't done that rewrite yet, so the cruddy system has remained in place for years.