Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I just discovered Pion's lower beak is misshapen... there seems to be a hole in the bottom of it.

I can't really get a photo of it since she hates me touching around the cheeks and beak, and it's mostly covered by feathers.

Going to contact a vet to get an idea how serious it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Describe it, where it is?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

nielsm posted:

I just discovered Pion's lower beak is misshapen... there seems to be a hole in the bottom of it.

I can't really get a photo of it since she hates me touching around the cheeks and beak, and it's mostly covered by feathers.

Going to contact a vet to get an idea how serious it is.

If it's like that, totally normal. Here's a pretty good short article on beak shape, why it's shaped like that, and the function of the shape:
https://georgeweaver.wordpress.com/2012/02/01/anatomy-of-a-beak/

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SaNChEzZ posted:

If it's like that, totally normal. Here's a pretty good short article on beak shape, why it's shaped like that, and the function of the shape:

Hmm, yes, it is something like that. LessMuch less worried now.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 30, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I only just changed it to Heavy Petting! Next time it will be General Birdshit, I promise :sun:
birbmob bestmob

SaNChEzZ posted:

That hole still weirds me out no matter how many years I keep birds.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Tendai posted:

birbmob bestmob

My biggest fear was realized when someone in a facebook group posted one of their birds toys was undone (the little screw carabiner thing) and the bird got caught by the beak-hole on the hook. I check toys every so often to make sure they're securely fastened now :x

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SaNChEzZ posted:

My biggest fear was realized when someone in a facebook group posted one of their birds toys was undone (the little screw carabiner thing) and the bird got caught by the beak-hole on the hook. I check toys every so often to make sure they're securely fastened now :x
:stonk:

That mental image aaagh agh agh

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Well there's another fear to add on to the list

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

My neighbor has budgies or parakeets or some kind of tiny birds. I told her I was jealous, so she introduced me to the bird but she was like "he doesn't really like strangers". He immediately landed on my shoulder and stayed there until I left. The whole time he was preening my stubble, making grumbles and kiss noises in my ear and saying he loved me.

i love birb

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
PYF birdwindow. It goes on like this all the way down the three windows; a span of six feet.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Tendai posted:

The worst is when they want you to rub them there and then move their throat against your finger. Stop it Pearl, you're gross.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

greypearl posted:

The worst is when they want you to rub them there and then move their throat against your finger. Stop it Pearl, you're gross.

ugh yes it always feels so weird when Ama is rubbing it against my fingernail
that is a terrible sentence out of context

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

greypearl posted:

Aaaagh I'm so glad Judah hates being touched on his throat now.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Parrot finds a new way to be terrible, scientists baffled. "It's like discovering there's a bigger number than infinity," Stephen Hawking comments.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

OH MY GOD I WASN'T IMAGINING A GAP THERE I WASN'T SURE IF IT REALLY EXISTED

I'm so relieved.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

At least he's not trying to rub his cloaca all over you. That's ritz's most favoritest thingest ever. Oh, I'm cute, look at me sitting in your hand and being a cute biAHHHBUTTHOLE RUBBING TIME GOING TO BITE YOU AND RUB MY BUTTHOLE ON ALL THE THINGS

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Tendai posted:

Parrot finds a new way to be terrible, scientists baffled. "It's like discovering there's a bigger number than infinity," Stephen Hawking comments.

:laffo:

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Lots of former Word Of Lowtax goons ITT. SQUAAAAAAWK.

We still doing cage setups?

DAYCAGE. Fighter of the

NIGHTCAGE. Champion of fun.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The beak hole is weird because sometimes you can see their tongue muscles moving under it.

Honestly, sometimes when I'm high the birds freak me out because their whole being a literal dinosaur thing stands out more. It's like gazing at some ancient eldritch horror except it's not super bright, has crazy plumage, and is a fraction of my size. Good times.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Bird is the Word of Lowtax. Cycle through Alt+F1 through F5 for third person view! :v:

Here, watch the happiest Amazon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwL_h8MtaBU

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
Guys meet Oliver!

Successfully on my shoulder for 15 minutes of sweet talk with no freakouts, and on his new perch in the picture for the same. I just wish he would go for the millet so I could reward him for such good behaviour!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

The beak hole is weird because sometimes you can see their tongue muscles moving under it.

Next time you see a moorhen, duck, or seagull, try positioning yourself so you can see through their nostril. If you position yourself just right, you'll be able to see through both nostrils at once and all the way through their beak to the other side.

Also if you look through a cockatiel's ear you'll be able to see all the way through their head because they don't have brains! :eng101: May not actually be true.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Griffball posted:

Guys meet Oliver!

Successfully on my shoulder for 15 minutes of sweet talk with no freakouts, and on his new perch in the picture for the same. I just wish he would go for the millet so I could reward him for such good behaviour!

is that a blue cockatiel?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
parrots do not have ears, only yawn-buttons

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010

Dreggon posted:

is that a blue cockatiel?

Just the light I'm afraid, hes a solid grey except for the patches on the back of his head and the edges of his wings.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DarkHorse posted:

Bird is the Word of Lowtax. Cycle through Alt+F1 through F5 for third person view! :v:

Here, watch the happiest Amazon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwL_h8MtaBU
I love amazons. If I ever were to be in a situation where I could have a larger parrot (and I hadn't won the lottery so I could make my hyacinth macaw dream come true) it would be an Amazon.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

What do you guys suggest for a birdlight? Our new apartment is a bit dim and I'd like her to have a light that gives her more UV.

Aug 24, 2011

no pictures, but today was once again bird feeding day™

there were 5 cockies, a bit more than usual but sometimes they flock, so i put food out. as soon as i finish putting down their seeds, they do that ritualistic thing where they immediately gently caress off and leave, ignoring all the food

ok, fine, i know they'll come back

they do, but there's already food there so i dont have to do anything. except i count them and now theres 6 birds, so i gotta put another thing out or they'll fight

as soon as i finish doing that, i turn around and leave and then theres another loving bird (7 now) so i put more food out and they all immediately leave again :sigh:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Dreggon posted:

there were 5 cockies, a bit more than usual but sometimes they flock, so i put food out. as soon as i finish putting down their seeds, they do that ritualistic thing where they immediately gently caress off and leave, ignoring all the food

ok, fine, i know they'll come back

they do, but there's already food there so i dont have to do anything. except i count them and now theres 6 birds, so i gotta put another thing out or they'll fight

as soon as i finish doing that, i turn around and leave and then theres another loving bird (7 now) so i put more food out and they all immediately leave again :sigh:

To be fair it is well-documented that that's what happens if you feed cockies after midnight.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dreggon posted:

How does it feel to be the victim of some bizarre cockatoo psychological experiment?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
In Captain Bitey news:

His new favourite toy is my earrings. He has figured out how to undo studs. Smart birb! Unfortunately, it's in a way that hurts my ears a fair bit, and there is a significant possibility he might swallow the backings (and an almost 100% chance that he will drop it on the floor and make me scramble about looking for it), so I usually avoid letting him play with my stud earrings. He loves my dangly earrings, though. He has also figured out he can still play with them if they're on my desk, rather than in my ears.

He has also decided my pink earphones are delicious. Partly because they're pink, and partly because they have little fake jewels. I would like to continue using my earphones so I shoo him away from them as well. They're very flimsy though, and less than $3, so I'm not going to be too distraught when he eventually fucks them up.

My parents have been informed of Bitey's favourite colours (pink, red, yellow, and orange) and are apparently stocking up on Christmas presents for the grandbirdy. :kimchi:

Aug 24, 2011

this works extremely well on cats but what the hell maybe a bird could do it too:

try giving them an uncooked piece of pasta, one of the dehydrated dry things that are really hard that you're meant to boil, it rattles around on a hard floor and makes lots of noise

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Dreggon posted:

this works extremely well on cats but what the hell maybe a bird could do it too:

try giving them an uncooked piece of pasta, one of the dehydrated dry things that are really hard that you're meant to boil, it rattles around on a hard floor and makes lots of noise

Birds loving love trying to eat dry pasta! And cooked pasta, but that's easier for them to eat a whole lot of and get a tonne of empty calories with no vitamins or minerals, so I try to avoid giving them cooked pasta. Dry pasta they actually have to work for and can spend ages playing with it.

Dyeing dry pasta (with food colouring obvs) is also good if your bird has favourite colours.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Just did a cleaning and some remodeling.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

nielsm posted:

Hmm, yes, it is something like that. LessMuch less worried now.

I took photos of the beak hole so you'd have a comparison, using Steve for similarity hmm yes that sounds like a good excuse

Updated cage looks good! What is the pot on the bottom, just for chewing?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

I took photos of the beak hole so you'd have a comparison, using Steve for similarity hmm yes that sounds like a good excuse

Updated cage looks good! What is the pot on the bottom, just for chewing?

Thanks, Pion's beakhole looks about the same.

The pot, I guess there isn't much point to it now. Previously I used to place a tiny plate of food on it, but with half of the food getting pushed out and PIon wading all over it, it made too much of a mess. I think she did enjoy eating from it though.
I forgot to place it before snapping the photo, but right now I'm using it as seat for a plush toy, for chewing.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

Steve don't flash your beak hole around :mad: That is exactly why Ohtori spurns your charming advances, you exhibitionist.

(Post more Steve/Ohtori pictures DO IT NOW DO IT DO IT)

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tendai posted:

Steve don't flash your beak hole around :mad: That is exactly why Ohtori spurns your charming advances, you exhibitionist.

(Post more Steve/Ohtori pictures DO IT NOW DO IT DO IT)

Ok they're having naps at the moment though so here's a bunch of old ones

Remember that time I gave Ohtori a nut in a vase to see what he'd do

Bonus

Tadhg Dall
Dec 5, 2008

Griffball posted:

Guys meet Oliver!

Oliver, meet Oliver!

:3:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Steve is the best bird. :derptiel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Bitey refuses to let me take pics of his beakhole :negative: Though he's very happy to be scritched there.