Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

What is a good first job to work towards if I want to be a machinist in the end? Is there any particular race that is good at them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

cheesetriangles posted:

What is a good first job to work towards if I want to be a machinist in the end? Is there any particular race that is good at them?

Bard plays similar in some ways to mch, which is probably more than can be said of the other classes. Don't worry about your race, seriously. Don't pick it for anything but aesthetics. If you absolutely must tryhard it and get your extra 0.05% dps from your race choice, do whichever one gives the most dex.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Pick whichever race you think is the cutest (lalafell). There are stat differences, but they're so extremely minor that it does not make any real difference.

As for which job to play to 50, machinist takes cross class skills from lancer and archer, so one of those is probably a good bet. You'll likely want to level both of them eventually to get all your cross class skills.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Before Heavensward, there was only one race choice that mattered in the slightest, and it's that for some reason or another the Best in Slot gear was different for specifically a Dunesfolk Lalafell BLM, from what I heard.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Also, if you play as Bard, all the armor you get can be used on MCH too.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Grilox posted:

Before Heavensward, there was only one race choice that mattered in the slightest, and it's that for some reason or another the Best in Slot gear was different for specifically a Dunesfolk Lalafell BLM, from what I heard.

Catgirls at level 50 didn't meet the strength threshold on certain unspoiled nodes when gathering.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Burn racial differences and the 1.0 job/class system please

also the completely pointless stat allocation

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Okay I will make a kawaii bard lady.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Grilox posted:

Dunesfolk Lalafell gave you marginally more Piety which let you use an extra Fire in your rotation since you had more total mana or something.

big sperma shot
Jan 13, 2011

Big Cock Jerk Off with MASSIVE cum shot.
dunesfolk had enough pie to do a 5 fire thunder 2 rotation with a scholar

that's the only difference, it was super marginal since t1 was better unless you used a mp tick timer

big sperma shot fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 31, 2015

big sperma shot
Jan 13, 2011

Big Cock Jerk Off with MASSIVE cum shot.
anyway mooncats could do it too there's ur history lesson it's (even more) irrelevant now

e: they could also get f2 flare after a single convert w a scholar which i think was dunesfolk exclusive

eej go away

e2: actually w the current opener i sometimes only have 5 mp after b3 as a dunesfolk if i don't have a sch so maybe racial pie is still important

big sperma shot fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 31, 2015

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Merlwyb was played by the same lady who did Knight-Commander Meredith from Dragon Age 2.

It's more so the look of the character then the voice.

siotle posted:

It looks like A4S is going to be another brick wall?

https://twitter.com/endstasis

This just confirms the fact they are making savage ball crushing hard to stretch out the content. And the fact when you only have 4 bosses you can't have any semi hard ones they all have to be pretty hard to make it worthwhile.

Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.
I don't know that it's to stretch out content so much as it being a response to all the complaints that Final coil was cleared in one week.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Inverse posted:

I played this game on launch was thinking of getting into an mmo, does it still have that annoying server side menu lag?

You're thinking of 1.0, which was an effectively completely different game that they demolished to make this one.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Holyshoot posted:

This just confirms the fact they are making savage ball crushing hard to stretch out the content. And the fact when you only have 4 bosses you can't have any semi hard ones they all have to be pretty hard to make it worthwhile.

It's probably to shut the stupid loving babies up that complained content was too easy.

e: beaten, that's what i get for leaving the window up too long

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Leviabeetus lol

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Playing around with ReShader and SweetFX is fun:

The DoF stuff straight up murders your frame rate and does a fairly crap job of guessing what should have blur, so I play with it off. It is a ~8 fps hit to run the color and sharpness corrections though.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

big sperma shot posted:

e2: actually w the current opener i sometimes only have 5 mp after b3 as a dunesfolk if i don't have a sch so maybe racial pie is still important

It's less important than it was before currently, the deal is that you need 264 PIE to do Fire>Fire4*3>Firestarter,Convert>Fire4*3>Blizz3, which any race can achieve in 8-man parties (as long as it's not whm/whm healcomp), but only Dunesfolk Lalafell can get inherently outside of that.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Any race can be a cute boy.

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

I remember yoshi saying you can skip to certain phases of a fight in order to practice that specific phase. Is that true or has it not been implemented yet? I'm guessing not since you have to redo Faust if you wipe to the Oppressor?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

bleuraindrops posted:

I remember yoshi saying you can skip to certain phases of a fight in order to practice that specific phase. Is that true or has it not been implemented yet? I'm guessing not since you have to redo Faust if you wipe to the Oppressor?

That was done certainly to prevent people from making trash skipping groups or to be able to come in with an odd party makeup just to clear him and then come back regular.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Quite enjoying this game! It is nice with a MMO with such focus on the story (i am level 13) Looks like there is a vast amount of content to do with the main storyline, sidequests, guildleves, hunts, achievements, hunting log (seemingly a different "hunt" mechanic than the hunt "wanted posters")

A few quick questions:
What is the sequential alphabet that appears on enemies? Nothing seems to happen when you go from Z and back to a new cycle starting with A?
Am i able to join Goon Squad while playing the trial?
Is there a way for the map to display the chocoporters or blue teleport stones i have not yet discovered? (e.g. like the green ! in WoW on the minimap signifying a new flight path)

Could i get a different explanation on how the class/job system work? The stuff in the OP doesn't make much sense to me. I have never played a final fantasy game before, maybe this system is familiar to those who have played earlier FF games?
Lets say i am an archer and hit level 30, and i want to be a bard. I need to level pugilist to 15 and seem to remember reading one of the tips stating that the class you play is based on what weapon you have equipped. How does the game know it is a puglist i want to play and not the other class on that weapon? (all weapons i have seen have 2 classes listed on them)
When the pugilist hits 15 do i immediately turn into a bard? Will i then no longer be an archer or a pugilist but simply a bard?

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

Quite enjoying this game! It is nice with a MMO with such focus on the story (i am level 13) Looks like there is a vast amount of content to do with the main storyline, sidequests, guildleves, hunts, achievements, hunting log (seemingly a different "hunt" mechanic than the hunt "wanted posters")

A few quick questions:
What is the sequential alphabet that appears on enemies? Nothing seems to happen when you go from Z and back to a new cycle starting with A?
Is there a way for the map to display the chocoporters or blue teleport stones i have not yet discovered? (e.g. like the green ! in WoW on the minimap signifying a new flight path)

Could i get a different explanation on how the class/job system work? The stuff in the OP doesn't make much sense to me. I have never played a final fantasy game before, maybe this system is familiar to those who have played earlier FF games?
Lets say i am an archer and hit level 30, and i want to be a bard. I need to level pugilist to 15 and seem to remember reading one of the tips stating that the class you play is based on what weapon you have equipped. How does the game know it is a puglist i want to play and not the other class on that weapon? (all weapons i have seen have 2 classes listed on them)
When the pugilist hits 15 do i immediately turn into a bard? Will i then no longer be an archer or a pugilist but simply a bard?
The letter bit is just assigned as they're spawned (I assume) so it makes it easy to call out things if you're not using marks. It isn't useful very often, but in a few instances it's really nice, like in Ravana Extreme.
As for the chocoporters and aetheryte marks, they should be on your map always.

Weapons can have two different classes listed on them because they can be used by that class, or it's job; for example, Archer and Bard.

And no, when you level an Archer to 30, then a Pugilist to 15, the prerequisites for becoming a Bard will be met, and you'll be able to accept the quest that takes you on your way to getting your job stone, which you equip on that class (Archer) to become its job (Bard.)

Touchfuzzy fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 31, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Also equipping the job stone is what tells the game you want to be a Bard instead of and Archer. Although I can't for the life of me think of a situation where you'd prefer to be your base class rather than your job post-30.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Ineptitude posted:

A few quick questions:

The alphabet is just to help differentiate between enemies. Sometimes there is fights where you need to kill things in a specific order or focus a specific enemy, so you can use their alphabet marker to call them out.

No.

The map should display aetherytes even if you haven't attuned to them. I don't think there's any way to show porters though.

Basically the class/job system works like this: Jobs are extensions of a base class (for example, Bard is an extension of Archer) that give you new abilities and increased stats at the expense of some cross-class skills. Every job has a base class, a sub class, and a tertiary class.Using Bard as an example, base class is the level of your job and the class you need to get to 30 to unlock the Job (Archer), sub class gives you cross class skills and needs to be 15 to unlock the job (Pugilist), and tertiary class gives you cross class skills (Lancer).

Once you get Archer to 30 and Pugilist to 15, there should be a quest that you can pick up at the Archer Guild that unlocks your Job Stone (an item that you equip to turn your Archer class into the Bard job). Once you get your job stone, there's no reason to ever take it off.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

bonewitch posted:

Once you get your job stone, there's no reason to ever take it off.

Well by not using the job stone, every class does get access to fracture.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Tenzarin posted:

You just had to say it, didn't you?

now entering North Dakota
Feb 22, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Also equipping the job stone is what tells the game you want to be a Bard instead of and Archer. Although I can't for the life of me think of a situation where you'd prefer to be your base class rather than your job post-30.

I found one situation, there is a level 30 CNJ quest won't let you be a WHM to pick it up. Otherwise, no.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

Don't forget Invigorate for fracture spam. Why would you ever equip the soul stone?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

nuru posted:

I don't try to argue against people being pretty anymore , but you're right that the cost of the PLD weapon makes it a crazier choice.

I'm not doing any cutting-edge content, I'm going to get all the esoterics gear eventually, so, drat it, I'm going to look pretty sooner rather than later. :sparkles:

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Ahaha I cross-classed Triangulate on my bard for nearly a week before anyone in DF noticed

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Ineptitude posted:

How does the game know it is a puglist i want to play and not the other class on that weapon? (all weapons i have seen have 2 classes listed on them)

Every weapon has a class and its associated job listed on it. This spear can be equipped by lancers (the base class) and dragoons (lancer's job, made available by having the dragoon soul crystal equipped).

If you equip this weapon, you'll change class to LNC. If you then equip the dragoon soul, you'll change from LNC to DRG.

Evader
May 20, 2008

One morning, when I woke up, there was a lizard in my room.

I recall certain odd situations where having the survivability of crap like protect at some points trumps your job skills . . . probably true for bads. Or if you are surrounded by bads. Or something. Sometimes.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Certain DoM classes (CNJ, SMN), get very little from their 30 skills, and would prefer the raw power of Raging Strikes or Aero to it.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Holyshoot posted:

I'm not going to deny that it's hard (for reference, my group is on A3S progression) but what really strikes me about Alex Savage is that I strongly suspect it was tuned to expect esoteric weapons. There are a lot of mechanics in the first three floors which are difficult and cause wipes if not handled totally perfectly, but an awful lot of those would basically just go away if you had markedly more DPS then is currently possible for a raid group to throw out. Remove the direct and indirect DPS checks and A1/A2 are no harder than any other coil turn. Can't... really say that for A3S yet, but I think having a big chunk more raid DPS would change the dynamics of that fight pretty drastically as well.

I suspect they basically just scaled the fights this way to ensure no one would WF a full clear on the first week again, let the keeners and hardcore groups bash their heads against it for the first couple weeks, and open the gates for the rest of the raid statics on week three. At some point these raids will transition to Farm and people will be hashing them out in 1-2 nights for gear farming like always, it'll just take maybe a month later then previous raids.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Meiteron posted:

I'm not going to deny that it's hard (for reference, my group is on A3S progression) but what really strikes me about Alex Savage is that I strongly suspect it was tuned to expect esoteric weapons. There are a lot of mechanics in the first three floors which are difficult and cause wipes if not handled totally perfectly, but an awful lot of those would basically just go away if you had markedly more DPS then is currently possible for a raid group to throw out. Remove the direct and indirect DPS checks and A1/A2 are no harder than any other coil turn. Can't... really say that for A3S yet, but I think having a big chunk more raid DPS would change the dynamics of that fight pretty drastically as well.

I suspect they basically just scaled the fights this way to ensure no one would WF a full clear on the first week again, let the keeners and hardcore groups bash their heads against it for the first couple weeks, and open the gates for the rest of the raid statics on week three. At some point these raids will transition to Farm and people will be hashing them out in 1-2 nights for gear farming like always, it'll just take maybe a month later then previous raids.

I can't wait for them to make a game that only the 1% gets to see high end content. I bet that game stays in business for a long time.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Meiteron posted:

I'm not going to deny that it's hard (for reference, my group is on A3S progression) but what really strikes me about Alex Savage is that I strongly suspect it was tuned to expect esoteric weapons. There are a lot of mechanics in the first three floors which are difficult and cause wipes if not handled totally perfectly, but an awful lot of those would basically just go away if you had markedly more DPS then is currently possible for a raid group to throw out.

Sounds like the perfect game design to me. You get to do the ~super hard~ and ~world first~ raids, I get to do cool raids a few weeks later just by bringing better gear :v:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Ahaha I cross-classed Triangulate on my bard for nearly a week before anyone in DF noticed

Thank you for confirming in our newbie Vault run there were no gathering nodes

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

I can't wait for them to make a game that only the 1% gets to see high end content. I bet that game stays in business for a long time.

are you talking about everquest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Truga posted:

Sounds like the perfect game design to me. You get to do the ~super hard~ and ~world first~ raids, I get to do cool raids a few weeks later just by bringing better gear :v:

And ~casual shitelordes~ like me get to skip the whole drat thing and get to see all the story cues anyway, thanks to normal Alexander. Everyone wins!

loving coil

• Locked thread