Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Or use freely available VSTs that don't require you to hook a decade old piece of software into a three decade old box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
That's not very sporting

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Anyone care to chime on on the Pocket Operators? I used to use a couple of Korg apps on my 3DS for commute music-making but I've started to get carsick, so I'm looking for something more hands-on that I can mess about with to kill time. If you have a favourite out of the three, or can suggest only one to get, which would it be? I've a feeling either would do the job since I'm not looking for anything too serious, I've just no idea which provides the most flexibility overall.

Or are they neat toys for a week or two and then you get bored of them?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

WorldWarWonderful posted:

neat toys for a week or two and then you get bored of them

New thread title, please.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Anyone care to chime on on the Pocket Operators?

I haven't got bored of my PO-12 yet and I have managed to play with it in a car without getting sick so thats a pro. I ended up grabbing the 12 because I adore drums and it seemed the most capable of being used standalone. The other two got some drum sounds too, so they're probably not bad by themselves either.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

The drum kit voice on the other pocket operators is only one track of the two tracks available, not one track per sound like the PO-12. So, you can't do anything fancy with it. They also only play white notes C0-D2 on the sub and C3-D5 on the factory if I recall, which I was a bit disappointed with. You can use an effect step to apply a half note raise but since you can't stack effects this might sound weird ie if you were using the delay effect elsewhere then it suddenly stops for one step. Octave up/down are effects too, so you can't have those at the same time as half note up. PO-14 and 16 have effects and "styles" that you can apply per step such as chords, or triplet notes, and each voice can be tweaked in interesting ways with the little knobs for a fair variety of sounds.

If I wanted to use the step sequencer in earnest and I had to get just one I'd get the rhythm most likely however I find the factory to make some really cool sounds and find myself just playing little tunes on it. To compare to something like Korg DS-10 they all have less features but I almost never use DS-10 due to the frustrating interface but it's very easy to just pick up and play a pocket operator, even without looking at it because the display is pretty useless anyway. Unless you've got big hands then you might find it a bit fiddly.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

So Math posted:

I would like to send the clock signal from my Beatstep Pro into my Volca Keys. I have the Beatstep clock running in one step mode, but the Volca will frequently skip steps. The same problem happens if I try using one of the drum gates instead. How can I get this working?

I highly recommend a MIDI cable instead.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
re: pocket operator

Just to point out the obvious: an iPad will alleviate pretty much any interface hangups with music toys if you're willing to drop a few hundred instead of 70$ and if you can deal with something that won't fit in a pocket, but will fit comfortably in pretty much any bag.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Sizone posted:

re: pocket operator

Just to point out the obvious: an iPad will alleviate pretty much any interface hangups with music toys if you're willing to drop a few hundred instead of 70$ and if you can deal with something that won't fit in a pocket, but will fit comfortably in pretty much any bag.

Also it wins until someone puts out a pocket synth with a sampler, granular synth, Moog filter, and billions of unique sequencing possibilities.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

MockingQuantum posted:

Also it wins until someone puts out a pocket synth with a sampler, granular synth, Moog filter, and billions of unique sequencing possibilities.

Not if you get carsick. I had to put away my laptop and found 3DS unusable on a charter bus but had no problems using my OP-1. I find myself using software less and less for actually writing anything. I turn to either my OP-1 or ancient Electribe EMX for messing around and then go over to software where I rewrite it to sound nicer. Personally there's a whole load of reasons I can list for myself why a tablet isn't the solution I'm looking for. Other people have success with it and sometimes I'm envious but I know it'd be useless for me.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

utamaru posted:

I highly recommend a MIDI cable instead.

Yeah, I know. Maybe when I can afford a MIDI splitter. :geno: It's a little frustrating since clocking Volcas was mentioned during the hype train. I have the cables for this, it and I'd rather save the single MIDI out for something that doesn't already have a (polyphonic) sequencer built in.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
In general i feel the volcas have been kind of disappointing. I'm thinking mainly of clocking here but yeah, other things.

Beatstep -> Shruthi -> Volca beats and seq2 controlling CV gives me clock enough, sure you don't have midi thru?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
So, I performed my first live show as KYH. Felt pretty good, most of it was EDM improv stuff which is different from what I usually do along with some covers ("Funeral March for Queen Mary" AKA "The Theme from 'A Clockwork Orange', John Carpenter's "Escape From New York" theme, and "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of These) by the Eurythmics) and an original ("Vengeance", which is on my SoundCloud but I really liked the live version better). I'm kicking myself for not recording it because I kept reminding myself leading up to the show that I would record it and I forgot. In terms of bad, I discovered that my Access Virus KC probably needs to be repaired because some of the keys aren't working, and I found this out while I was performing a song. :smith:

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 26, 2015

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So I created a sample block generator for Patchblocks. Now I can do wavetable synthesis! Working my way through the Adventure Kid single-cycle waveform pack looking for interesting wavetable entries. What a chore!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Spoiler: there aren't that many good ones.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Where should I look for free, quality single cycle waveforms?

I presume that it would be copyright infringement to draw from most closed source synthesisers that bundle wav files.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Hyperreal's Music Machines

Goldbaby

There was a really really cool stripped down site from Germany (maybe Sweden?) that had heaps of waveforms and samples to play with. I'm gonna keep trying to find it.

edit: bam, kb6

2nd edit: I'm pretty sure you can't patent/trademark/copyright/intellectually propertize a waveform. It might be considered illegal to extract one, but I think that falls under fair use. Grey area at the most.

Unless fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 26, 2015

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks! Looks like I finally have a reason to code 24-bit input file support.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Warm up your drum machines and :getin:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/33852257/200-Drum-Patterns-for-Drum-Machines#scribd

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Luckily, you've just found it.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
i have a hard copy of that

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mr. Glass posted:

i have a hard copy of that

Same, book owns.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Do any of you guys have a korg microsampler? If so what do you think about it? I'm considering trading in my microkorg for one at a local music shop (because I haven't touched the microkorg in months).

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Anyone have the PDF they can upload? I don't want to sign up...

e- Got it, thanks

khysanth fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 28, 2015

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
This is my favorite source of drum patterns. I have a printed book from a Kickstarter campaign years ago:

http://funklet.com/

renderful fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 28, 2015

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Because noise.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

renderful posted:

This is my favorite source of drum patterns. I have a printed book from a Kickstarter campaign years ago:

http://funklet.com/

Holy poo poo thanks for this

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

toadee posted:

Holy poo poo thanks for this

samesies

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

64bit_Dophins posted:

Do any of you guys have a korg microsampler? If so what do you think about it? I'm considering trading in my microkorg for one at a local music shop (because I haven't touched the microkorg in months).

It's nifty for what it is. It doesn't have envelopes or LFOs or the usual synthy features of rack samplers. It samples, does effects and has a nice PC GUI. Think of it like an MPC with keys rather than an Emulator. People whine that the memory is fixed, but it's big enough and it's so easy to save to and update from PC that it's seriously not an issue. I haven't dove too deeply into it; if there's something specific you want to know I can investigate more or make a lovely demo.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

https://songadayforamonth.com/#/songwriter/573d4853347

Couple more song-a-days up. Coming to a close in just two more days and I'm a little sad. I'm glad overall that this has forced me to actually produce something for ~20-90 minutes a day from when I started earlier in the month. Some of these may become full songs one day. Looking forward to it starting back up again in January.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I think I want to replace my Mopho because I seem to enjoy the sounds my Volca Keys and other synths produce more than I enjoy the ones it makes. They're not bad but they don't really gel with me. I'm considering what I'd replace it with and I don't have much idea other than probably another mono-synth, maybe digital? Please help me think of things goons.

e: Small form factor is a big deal for me so if it's a desktop synth that would be ideal too.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I have a Roland D50 inbound. Hold me :ohdear:

Also what horrible bullshit should I be aware of?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

Keyboard crapping out on these is very common. You can usually douche the assembly and it'll be OK but the contact strips are available if you need to outright replace them.

net work error posted:

I think I want to replace my Mopho because I seem to enjoy the sounds my Volca Keys and other synths produce more than I enjoy the ones it makes. They're not bad but they don't really gel with me. I'm considering what I'd replace it with and I don't have much idea other than probably another mono-synth, maybe digital? Please help me think of things goons.

e: Small form factor is a big deal for me so if it's a desktop synth that would be ideal too.

Meeblip? Dual wavetable oscillator into an analog filter, very direct interface, small, cheap.
I'm sure too big for you but just a heads-up JRR is blowing out old slim phatty stock for $449 which is pretty god drat cheap. If it wasn't the Year of the Purge for me, I'd want onesome for poly chaining.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

net work error posted:

Pulse 2? It's the size of a Blofield, analog, and has 4/8 note paraphony so you could get some chords from it. Maybe the System 1m?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Would a Beatstep be a suitable replacement for that Hexinverter sequencer? I want to make some room for an Elements

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Startyde posted:

Keyboard crapping out on these is very common. You can usually douche the assembly and it'll be OK but the contact strips are available if you need to outright replace them.

Aww poo. I was hoping for this to be my main keyboard for the rest of my MIDI gear as well (especially the Analog Four) but looks like I'll need to be more careful. Thanks.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Going to check out the meeblip and Blofeld's good synthgestions goon friends.

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

I had one for a while and I found out it sends out CC123 "All Notes Off" whenever you release all keys from the keyboard. Google "D50 CC123" or "D50 all notes off" or something and you can find some discussion of it on messageboards. There are workarounds but it's not ideal as master keyboard/controller. Apparently other roland keyboards from the same era like the Alpha Juno have the same issue. I liked how it sounded though, and there are tons of patches floating around.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

K2000s are so cheap at this point and make a better master controller than most I'd look for one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Radio du Cambodge posted:

I had one for a while and I found out it sends out CC123 "All Notes Off" whenever you release all keys from the keyboard.
Hm. That's a pisser, but probably not a deal breaker as I should be able to filter it out. I have an iConnectAudio which can do the trick. Just means I won't be able to plug the D-50 into an instrument directly.

Thing is already en route and I do like that classic late-80s vibe so too late to turn it down now.