Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
So any decent new source about the protests in Honduras? I mean besides the fact that the coup regimes current leader makes a buffoon like Zelaya look like Nelson Mandela.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Azran posted:

Something something Imperialist agents.

Edit: Sometimes I feel like we should combine the Venezuela and Latin American threads, if only to have a more, uh, comprehensive OP and also because I want more people to experience the Borneo Jimmy Experience.

Te ruego que no.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Say anything bad about Mana and I will cut you, ese.

Oye Mi Amor is like, my teenage Quinceranera jam. :ese:

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
Rayando el sol is the best single of the 20th century and I will fight anyone who dares to contradict me.

(Help me I only have a Maná CD to listen on my car)

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Azran posted:

Edit: Sometimes I feel like we should combine the Venezuela and Latin American threads, if only to have a more, uh, comprehensive OP and also because I want more people to experience the Borneo Jimmy Experience.

Write an OP then :justpost:

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Lawman 0 posted:

Where do you fall on the statehood vs indepence spectrum?
Do you guys think you could square the circle if congress offered special constitutional amendments for Puerto Rico on ascension to statehood?
For the record I'm in favor of having Puerto Rico, Guam + the Northern Mariana islands become states and having either the virgin islands given to Canada or buying the British virgin islands from them to create a viable state. :v:

I haven't checked this thread in like a loving month, since the current economic meltdown is getting a bit more treatment in the USPOL threads ( which is pretty puertorico.txt right there) so yeah took me a while to get around but here goes: I personally stopped caring about statehood vs independence because for me, that kind of thing is a fool's errand. Neither is going to happen, IMO. More likely, there will be some modifications to the current status to let us deal with whatever the crisis du jour is--and it will be during a crisis, because we're really good at putting things off until it's almost too late--while still retaining some sort of connection to the US. I'm a bit more sympathetic to independence than Happy Noodle Boy, but yeah if we were to get independence tomorrow (or hell, within the next ten years) we'd be utterly hosed. If independence is going to come, it has to come slowly so that Puerto Rican society, economy, politics, and everything has some time to adjust to the stresses of independence.

Anyways, I don't have any newspaper links this time because I've been busy these last few weeks, but here's the short and sweet version of what's been happening:
-the ongoing drought is getting worse--even the rich people are getting hit with rationing! This drought's supposed to be one for the record books, and word on the street is that it won't be getting better until September or so.
-economic meltdown continues as Puerto Rican government representatives meet with creditors to hash out repayments. Right now though, repaying debts is a bit of a pipe dream because of our broken-rear end economy.

That's about all I can sum up atm, like I said I haven't been able to pay attention to politics for a while now so I can't offer up much right now.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
You guys remember how fun was D&D during the 2012 London Olympic Games?

next year in rio is going to be so, so much better.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

nerdz posted:

You guys remember how fun was D&D during the 2012 London Olympic Games?

next year in rio is going to be so, so much better.

From the URL I thought it was going to be a poor people screed.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Rio seems like a pretty lovely place.

quote:

The Rodrigo de Freitas Lake, which was largely cleaned up in recent years, was thought be safe for rowers and canoers. Yet AP tests found its waters to be among the most polluted for Olympic sites, with results ranging from 14 million adenoviruses per liter on the low end to 1.7 billion per liter at the high end.

By comparison, water-quality experts who monitor beaches in Southern California become alarmed if they see viral counts reaching 1,000 per liter.
:barf:

And their solution to the rivers of feces because, in a completely surprise that no one could possibly ever foresee, the authorities won't make it even remotely "clean" before the event they are saying athletes should get there early to try and build up immunities.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Rio seems like a pretty lovely place.

:barf:

And their solution to the rivers of feces because, in a completely surprise that no one could possibly ever foresee, the authorities won't make it even remotely "clean" before the event they are saying athletes should get there early to try and build up immunities.

The thing is, they probably were overpromising when saying they would do a 20 year+ cleaning project in 4 years (and after spending a ridiculous amount of money on the world cup, which we are doing back to back with the olympic games). They said the cleanup would cost 4 billion, It already cost 10 billion to rush it, they are estimating 20 billion total and it won't be even remotely clean enough at the end.

Now, if this was the only unfinished project they had...

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
As all paulistanos know, Rio loving sucks.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

hoiyes posted:

As all paulistanos know, Rio loving sucks.

You guys took what, 20 years to clean the Tietê from being a death sludge river and now are trying to call out Rio?

Also what's with the silence on the money spent on the Olympics? Did the Impeachment crap and the FIFA investigations stop the hand wringing about "Olympic level healthcare"?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

You guys took what, 20 years to clean the Tietê from being a death sludge river and now are trying to call out Rio?

Counterpoint: we don't put the tiete on postcards.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
poo poo water x no water, Brazil's biggest rivalry.

We're hosed, aren't we.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Also what's with the silence on the money spent on the Olympics? Did the Impeachment crap and the FIFA investigations stop the hand wringing about "Olympic level healthcare"?

Tietê is still loving dirty.

We brazilians are great at making a mess but really terrible at cleaning it afterwards.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 31, 2015

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't live in either state, but this guy posting on a secessionist São Paulo page sure knows who's better:

He's apparently arguing that athletes from São Paulo scored the most medals compared to athletes from other states (more medals = better than) and completely managed to gently caress up the counts. 41 - 17 = 31?

Which state will win the olympic games? Rio athletes have the viral/bacterial immunity advantage. In other news, australian sailors found a dead dog while training on the bay and had to stop a few times to remove debris stuck on their boats.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Azran posted:

Please, for the love of God, no. Keep the cheerleading over there and let us actually discuss stuff.

The olympics hits PMDB golden boy Eduardo Paes much more directly, and no one can afford to be nasty to PMDB right now.

Hell, in case anyone had any doubts about how much all of the protests are really about corruption, the folks organizing the August 16th protests have decided not to make Cunha a target, since despite all the evidence that he is incredibly corrupt, he is the one who controls the impeachment process. Likewise, PSDB has decided that being associated with Cunha is worth the hit since he has more power to get rid of Dilma.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

nerdz posted:

I don't live in either state, but this guy posting on a secessionist São Paulo page sure knows who's better:

He's apparently arguing that athletes from São Paulo scored the most medals compared to athletes from other states (more medals = better than) and completely managed to gently caress up the counts. 41 - 17 = 31?

Doesn't São Paulo state have like 25% of the population of Brazil?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TheImmigrant posted:

Doesn't São Paulo state have like 25% of the population of Brazil?

Also over 25% of the GDP. You might be on to something here...

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

What's this deal about the Lula Institute getting bombed? Heard some people commenting it (and claiming it was a false flag...)

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

What's this deal about the Lula Institute getting bombed? Heard some people commenting it (and claiming it was a false flag...)

Someone tossed a small home made bomb at the gate of the Lula Institute during the night from inside a car. Nobody got hurt. It slightly damaged the gate and broke some windows.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

nerdz posted:

Also over 25% of the GDP. You might be on to something here...

We'd need that GDP to pay through the nose for energy, oil, steel and all the other stuff the state lacks if it ever separated from the rest of the country.

São Paulo separatism is often just badly disguised prejudice against immigrants from the brazilian northeast, delusions that we are somehow more moral and creative people brought down by the archaic, corrupt lesser states, or the last gambit at self-esteem by people whose only virtue was being born in a wealthier part of the country.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

There's still southern separatism even though jerky prices aren't that heavily taxed anymore :shobon:

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Let the gaúchos be gauchos

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Honestly, it seems like the already quite small number of separatists here in Rio Grande do Sul has shrunken even further when they started realizing "oh gently caress we're broke as hell aren't we". We're so hosed, our governor is basically doing something inconstitutional and paying public service workers piece-meal this month, and in response there won't be any police on the streets tomorrow. Yay.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
http://candidatosbuitre.com/ <- Reason I'm voting these people on Sunday.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Future Days posted:

http://candidatosbuitre.com/ <- Reason I'm voting these people on Sunday.
:captainpop:

:anarchists:

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
I like this spot for the other FIT candidate Jorge Altamira
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwcmAgm10X0

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Unfortunately I fear the usual thing will happen and progressive parties will get 5 votes and then splinter into 6 factions.

Fun fact, the PASO are only applicable to Cambiemos, Frente de Izquierda y de los Trabajadores, and Unidos por una Nueva Alternativa. Every single other party/political grouping is already proposing a unified list for the Presidential/Vice-Presidential candidates. So of the 12 PASO lists, popular vote will only have an effect on 3. What a fantastic system.

Ghost of Mussolini fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 6, 2015

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
To highlight once again how much the recent corruption investigations in Brazil have political motivation:

http://www.cartacapital.com.br/revista/861/fiapos-soltos-no-caminho-985.html

For those who don't speak Portuguese: two individuals already arrested and turned informants also had files documenting outsized revenues from contracts with Aecio Neves (leader of the opposition) when he was governor of Minas Gerais. So far, the case against Aecio Neves has been archived, and the deals with the people who had those files do not include requirements to disclose anything about those two deals. This is like the Mensalao scandal, only in bigger scale (to illustrate, Marcos Valerio has already been serving jail time for years for his role in the 2002 part of the Mensalao that involved PT, but has not even been tried for doing the exact same thing in 1998 for PSDB - and likely never will, since the statute of limitations is about to run out on that one).

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Saw a poll today that 2/3s of Brazil favors a Rousseff impeachment. What are the actual chances of this happening and being successful?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The opposition has been entertaining that idea for months but the leader of the congress is also in a, pardon my Lahey, a shitmire of shittanical proportions since he was accused of taking a 5 million bribe so they will probably use it only as a blackmail tool to get what they want from the government unless "public" pressure becomes far too huge.

The prospect of a PMDB government depresses the hell out of me because they are likely to stonewall or ignore every progressive proposition and anything that can't be used to further their own interests...

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Yeah, right now it is in PMDB's best interest to keep the threat of impeachment, but not impeachment itself, going. As long as Cunha et al can keep the impeachment threat going, both PSDB and PT will do everything in their power to avoid pissing off Cunha. I mean, the leaders of the protests organized for the 16th have explicitly said that they will not include Cunha as their target because, despite having more evidence against him than almost anyone else, he is the one who controls whether an impeachment process goes forward. Not to mention that for PSDB the best case scenario is a PT government with 4 years under threat of impeachment so that not even Lula can win in 2018. Only way the impeachment actually goes through is if Cunha's situation becomes desperate enough that he can't play both sides anymore.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Unfortunately I fear the usual thing will happen and progressive parties will get 5 votes and then splinter into 6 factions.

Fun fact, the PASO are only applicable to Cambiemos, Frente de Izquierda y de los Trabajadores, and Unidos por una Nueva Alternativa. Every single other party/political grouping is already proposing a unified list for the Presidential/Vice-Presidential candidates. So of the 12 PASO lists, popular vote will only have an effect on 3. What a fantastic system.

But every candidate needs a certain % of the votes to be able to participate in the general election so a lot of those unified list wont even get that many votes.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

hecko posted:

But every candidate needs a certain % of the votes to be able to participate in the general election so a lot of those unified list wont even get that many votes.
I know, what I meant to say is that the PASO system is being blatantly used to do that, to lock out small parties, because nobody is utilizing it for its actual purpose (defining different lists within the same party or coalition umbrella).

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

DING MOTHERFUCKING DONG, EL MAMO IS DEAD.

Don Sata doesn't deserve to put up with this kind of bullshit, but that's his job I suppose.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Traveller posted:

Don Sata doesn't deserve to put up with this kind of bullshit, but that's his job I suppose.

Yo, motherfucker was sentenced to fuckin' FIVE HUNDRED YEARS, that's hardcore.

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

Traveller posted:

:toot:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
He's being tortured by angels in a dungeon deep within Heaven's National Stadium :angel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Awrgh.

http://www.cartacapital.com.br/blogs/parlatorio/seis-imigrantes-haitianos-sao-baleados-em-sao-paulo-9027.html