Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Manslaughter posted:

How do you beat Gorilla without jumping?
As someone who also runs Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 (only any% though), this is something even I can't figure out. Every other stage in the game, I've done without jumping. The two GORILLA bosses, though? No clue on how you're supposed to avoid it.

I mean, sure, I could look it up on Youtube, but that's no fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

NLJP posted:

15 minute Fallout? drat, I had no idea it could be done so quick. Looking forward to this.

edit:

Oh god how do you not remember that. If you played any non-modded Fallout 3 at all, all the songs were repeated a shitton and they're all burned into my brain.

Well, I didn't listen much to the radio in general and it's been ages since I actually played. *shrug*

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Grinnblade posted:

Well, I didn't listen much to the radio in general and it's been ages since I actually played. *shrug*

Yeah fair enough, I think I basically always had the radio on. I hope there's more variety in Fallout 4 but hey, my own dumb fault I guess.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This run is like a house of cards, IIRC it can go to poo poo if that force field gets a bad rng

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I really wish 3 and NV would let your reverse pickpocket explosives without doing the stupid dance, it was more entertaining for them to stand there and blow up unaware. Also shooting people in the dick

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

UIApplication posted:

This run is like a house of cards, IIRC it can go to poo poo if that force field gets a bad rng

He's got just enough wiggle room to achieve victory in every case, just some looking a little more rough than others.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Hah I love blowing up the Overseer at the end. Yeah, what a fuckn' jerk that dude was. Neanderthal looking mofo.

One of my big regrets is that I've still never finished Fallout 2. Started it so many times, lost saves, got bored etc. And gently caress the Temple of Trials.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Think I'm gonna play through F1 and 2 again

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

So that's what that feels like
Should I play the first Fallout? I did enjoy 3 and NV but I know they're polarizing games when compared to the first two.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I tried playing the first Fallout 10 years ago and even then I couldn't handle all the jank.

Dunno about Fallout 2.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

homphgomph posted:

Should I play the first Fallout? I did enjoy 3 and NV but I know they're polarizing games when compared to the first two.

Yes, although Fallout 2 is better. Get a patched version and play that.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle

homphgomph posted:

Fallout 2 aged a little better imo, better pathing AI at least.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

homphgomph posted:

if you can deal with the dated interfaces then fo1 and 2 are absolutely worth playing

sout
Apr 24, 2014

homphgomph posted:

I managed to beat Fallout 1 (but not 2 yet, keep screwing myself over and getting frustrated) recently for the first time and enjoyed it once I got into it and nailed the controls eventually.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

homphgomph posted:

It's janky and unintuitive as all hell by modern standards, and 1 especially feels very bare bones in comparison to 2 onwards, but I'd say go for it. The atmosphere and world design are still top notch.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Playing properly, the combat is complete loving rear end in the first two games (which is saying a lot considering combat in the new fallouts) but man Fallout 1 is incredible. As I said I never finished 2 but what I did play of it is also great though a lot sillier than 1.

edit: yeah play them

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I tried playing both 1 and 2 and they're arcane as hell for someone who didn't play them in their heyday.

You get so many choices right from the start, and unless you make the right ones you can't even make it out of the tutorial. :shrug:

e: you think "oh hey, lockpicking sounds like a useful skill, and maybe I'll specialize in energy guns" but then the game only gives you a club and your melee skill isn't high enough to actually hit anything and the game doesn't tell you that you won't find an energy weapon until the end of the game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Fallout 1 and 2 are both a blast once you learn how to make a solid character build.

e; Fallout 1 doesn't have a tutorial, and the Temple of Trials in Fallout 2 is literally just a lovely thing they were forced to put in at the last minute.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
Yeah reading a character creation FAQ goes a long way for those games.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Fallout 1&2 are the buggiest games I ever played. I never actually finished FO2 because I kept running into poo poo that stopped me from progressing at all.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I played F1 and 2 for the first time like 9 years ago and thought they were great, so I'd so go for it.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

NLJP posted:

As I said I never finished 2 but what I did play of it is also great though a lot sillier than 1.

Yeah F2 is filled with all sorts of referential humor but the updates to gameplay are great. F1 is better at being Fallout, F2 is a better game.

e: F1 has New Vegas' Wild Wasteland perk off, F2 has it on.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Fallout 1&2 are the buggiest games I ever played. I never actually finished FO2 because I kept running into poo poo that stopped me from progressing at all.

Fallout 1 works decently, but Fallout 2 had a very rushed release. The Unofficial patch is absolutely essential.

Honestly though, as much as I love 1 and 2, New Vegas really is my favorite game in the series.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Same. I tried to play Fallout 2 and made good progress but gently caress that game really didn't want me too play it given all the glitches I kept running into, even with the fan patch. I think I gave up after reaching an Enclave military base where my partners kept teleporting across the room and getting killed every time I loaded the game.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Same. I tried to play Fallout 2 and made good progress but gently caress that game really didn't want me too play it given all the glitches I kept running into, even with the fan patch. I think I gave up after reaching an Enclave military base where my partners kept teleporting across the room and getting killed every time I loaded the game.

Yeah I had similar issues with Planescape Torment. Another absolute classic that I never finished because of bugs and bad luck. I think I had my save corrupted twice by the infamous Modron Maze.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

NLJP posted:

Yeah I had similar issues with Planescape Torment. Another absolute classic that I never finished because of bugs and bad luck. I think I had my save corrupted twice by the infamous Modron Maze.

I don't remember ever having bugs when I played it years ago but it's not nearly as janky as Fallout 1 and 2.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Wait a second didn't the donation incentive ticker thingy say to play as a girl?

e: TOUHOU HIJACK :ughh:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah, get the unofficial patches for Planescape and F1/2.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the savior of the capital wasteland, TOUHOU HIJACK

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I will never understand Touhou

edit: these fallout runs are whack but I guess it's not surprising they're kinda broken games. I think we all knew it. Still, being in the wasteland as a kid is amazing.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Shame that no one knew what that meant in the wastelands, so it was immediately shortened to Two H Jack.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Speedrunning PC games has always seemed weird to me, since you stuff like SSDs will make your time much faster

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Kid doesn't want to deal with any of this birthday bullshit.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

That is one brave 15 year old.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I'm out, suckas!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I guess doors and walls are nothing, too.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
When are they gonna take their G.O.A.T exam??? :ohdear:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The flashing from quicksave/load is really uncomfortable :( I want to enjoy this run.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Go back to class, young man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Stutter stepping in and out of reality, enemies only see an after image.

• Locked thread