Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Out of curiosity, what's the corresponding scene for the hospital visit if you didn't manage to talk Kate off the roof?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Xanderkish posted:

poo poo is too real for me, man.

poo poo is Strange.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the corresponding scene for the hospital visit if you didn't manage to talk Kate off the roof?

There isn't one.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I wonder if there'll be a sequel or "season 2" for this game. I think it stands well on its own and doesn't necessarily need one, but if they follow the Telltale route it's possible.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Georgia Peach posted:

There isn't one.

Boo, there should have been a funeral or something.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

sout posted:

I wonder if there'll be a sequel or "season 2" for this game. I think it stands well on its own and doesn't necessarily need one, but if they follow the Telltale route it's possible.

there is and its not going to be these characters.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

bagrada posted:

what? the very nextday?

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

bagrada posted:

You get a text about the funeral.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Okay, who predicted the twist. I am a dope and I didn't, so it made for a neat shock, I'm sure there are clues in the game that I glossed over, and thinking about it I can see his motives as Weird Hipster Art Man

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

bagrada posted:

Her family doesn't live in the area, so it wouldn't really have made sense for a funeral to be held where Max could realistically attend. Would have been an interesting/heartbreaking scene, though.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

:goonsay: You don't understand how people could make a different choice in an earlier episode or not pay attention to a random family picture?

I mean you could not stand up for kate, not erase the link in the bathroom, forget about the poo poo they wrote on her door sign, and in general miss everything and say all the wrong poo poo on purpose.

exquisite tea posted:

From hearing other people's experiences, I think the system for talking Kate down goes roughly like this: If you make every pro-Kate decision in the first two episodes (confront David, answer her call, erase the whiteboard etc.) and respond correctly to the first four prompts, she'll step down without even needing the Bible verse. If you don't make every possible pro-Kate decision and respond correctly to 5/6 including the Bible verse, then she'll step down. If you make no pro-Kate decisions and respond perfectly to every prompt, then she'll step down. I think 65% / 35% is a predictable split given those conditions.

This explains alot, I only remember there being like 4 prompts and this is why.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 31, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Viva Miriya posted:

I mean you could not stand up for kate, not erase the link in the bathroom, forget about the poo poo they wrote on her door sign, and in general miss everything and say all the wrong poo poo on purpose.

This explains alot, I only remember there being like 4 prompts and this is why.

I didn't defend Kate, cause I figured photographing David would've been better in the long run. Everything else I did there, except I didn't memorize everything in her room. She gives you prompts that directly relate to things in her room like bible verses and stuff and it's easy to miss or forget that stuff.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Macaluso posted:

I didn't defend Kate, cause I figured photographing David would've been better in the long run. Everything else I did there, except I didn't memorize everything in her room. She gives you prompts that directly relate to things in her room like bible verses and stuff and it's easy to miss or forget that stuff.

I even went to go look up the Bible verses to see which one seemed more appropriate. I choose wrong. See ya on the other side Kate.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
I didn't save Kate in my game, infact I kinda thought it was supposed to happen and be all part of the plot. Like throwing out that Max's power isn't almighty and how she can't save anything.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Macaluso posted:

That makes sense but I felt that I could figure out another way to fry David. The only thing I remember from the prompts that I got that directly related to something in her room was bringing up the picture with her and her little sisters.

Georgia Peach posted:

I even went to go look up the Bible verses to see which one seemed more appropriate. I choose wrong. See ya on the other side Kate.

rip

Got a question though concerning Ep. 4 What happens at the bunker if you didn't remember the 3 digit code from the investigation bit?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I do really like that the Kate situation is the turning point from loving around and using your powers for trivial poo poo to Max realizing that she isn't infallible and being a hell of a lot more cautious in general.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You have to trial and error it from the three faded keys on the keypad.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Drakes posted:

I didn't save Kate in my game, infact I kinda thought it was supposed to happen and be all part of the plot. Like throwing out that Max's power isn't almighty and how she can't save anything.

Well yeah, Max either saves her or doesn't based upon how you have Max treat her or erase negative things and remember things about her. Her power has nothing to do with saving Kate.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Georgia Peach posted:

You get a text about the funeral.

Travel to the Morgue to identify the body. :unsmigghh:

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Codependent Poster posted:

Well yeah, Max either saves her or doesn't based upon how you have Max treat her or erase negative things and remember things about her. Her power has nothing to do with saving Kate.

Oh yeah, but her dying felt.....appropriate? Like this giant wake-up call on how while being able to rewind things Max can't save everyone.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

One thing I was not expecting in this game was a character literally having a bullet hole put through her forehead seemed extremely graphic and out of place in a game like this.

However it was a great reveal, even if the "twist" was extremely obvious.

Drakes posted:

Oh yeah, but her dying felt.....appropriate? Like this giant wake-up call on how while being able to rewind things Max can't save everyone.

That "wake up call" also happens at the end of episode 3/beginning of episode 4, and again at the end of episode 4.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Viva Miriya posted:

Got a question though concerning Ep. 4 What happens at the bunker if you didn't remember the 3 digit code from the investigation bit?

The number keys used in the code are worn. It's not had to brute force it.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I thought some of that scene was a little odd to be honest.
Max says "The other girls were doing really mean poo poo towards you but I stopped it."
and she says "thanks, you're a real friend" instead of "oh no, everyone did mean poo poo towards me" which is what I was expecting
I'm paraphrasing.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Paul Zuvella posted:

That "wake up call" also happens at the end of episode 3/beginning of episode 4, and again at the end of episode 4.

The setup leading to it makes it the thing feel less impactful through, cause at that point shes loving with time/space and stuff that happened half a decade ago. So you kinda go into it expecting somerthing rough and bumpy.

And the wake up call moment stands out most at its earliest moment since thats when you sorta see how serious things are.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Gotta day, DONTNOD have done a really great job fleshing out characters and making them more three dimensional than they originally seemed. I remember when the first episode came out and one of the complaints was that characters fit into easy archetypes. The last few episodes have gone a long way transcending those archetypes.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I can't remember the last time I wasn't on high alert for a twist or at least had suspicions. Like in any medium. They did a great job of guiding my thoughts so that I assumed we'd figured it all out and we were already smack dab in the middle of the climax.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

theblackw0lf posted:

Gotta day, DONTNOD have done a really great job fleshing out characters and making them more three dimensional than they originally seemed. I remember when the first episode came out and one of the complaints was that characters fit into easy archetypes. The last few episodes have gone a long way transcending those archetypes.
I feel Episode 1 was super stereotypical just to make later moments and twists feel more impactful. Like, the walk to the bathroom in Episode 1 is just a hall of cliches, but it's all in service of developing these characters in surprising ways.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Moltrey posted:

I feel Episode 1 was super stereotypical just to make later moments and twists feel more impactful. Like, the walk to the bathroom in Episode 1 is just a hall of cliches, but it's all in service of developing these characters in surprising ways.

I mean I'm not sure how you could make a quick introduction to so many characters not be clichéd.

One thing I like about the characters is how, if you don't take the time to interact with some of them, they pretty much stay clichés the entire game. You have to take the time (and unskippable dialogue sequences) to get to know them, and only then do they open up. I think that's pretty true to life, and I love it for that.

Speaking of unskippable dialogue, the fact that we couldn't skip ahead on the first run through of dialogue was frustrating to me. It's not that I don't love the dialogue with the characters. It's that I'm at an end of the world rave and my best friend/lover just ran off and she might kill someone and I'm really happy that you two are going to the museum together but I've ten more people to talk to and also there's two moons outside and can we please just chat a little quicker? Really makes my desire to experience every part of this world kind of a roadblock to my enjoyment, and I'm pretty sure that's not intentional.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Xanderkish posted:

I mean I'm not sure how you could make a quick introduction to so many characters not be clichéd.

One thing I like about the characters is how, if you don't take the time to interact with some of them, they pretty much stay clichés the entire game. You have to take the time (and unskippable dialogue sequences) to get to know them, and only then do they open up. I think that's pretty true to life, and I love it for that.

Speaking of unskippable dialogue, the fact that we couldn't skip ahead on the first run through of dialogue was frustrating to me. It's not that I don't love the dialogue with the characters. It's that I'm at an end of the world rave and my best friend/lover just ran off and she might kill someone and I'm really happy that you two are going to the museum together but I've ten more people to talk to and also there's two moons outside and can we please just chat a little quicker? Really makes my desire to experience every part of this world kind of a roadblock to my enjoyment, and I'm pretty sure that's not intentional.

fortunately the main character can rewind time, so if you feel like you are spending too much time talking to a person just rewind time :v:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Xanderkish posted:

I felt a lesser version of this on the way to raid Nathan's room and everyone's chilling outside the boys door which is fine and all until you get to Samuel who has nine dialogue options to exhaust and considering you can reply to his comments to with different questions, it gets a bit tiring.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Xanderkish posted:

It's that I'm at an end of the world rave and my best friend/lover just ran off and she might kill someone

While dual-wielding most likely.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

sout posted:

Okay, who predicted the twist. I am a dope and I didn't, so it made for a neat shock, I'm sure there are clues in the game that I glossed over, and thinking about it I can see his motives as Weird Hipster Art Man

A couple of things I noticed because I played it all in like two sittings that made me suspicious:
EP1: During class there's two things 1) Jefferson got a really creepy line about photographing "any of you" in darkness and capturing at your most vulnerable, which if you aren't paying attention to mr hipster-teacher you might miss. Nr 2 is that there's those binders (seen in the preview for the Dark Room during the end of ep 1 / 2) sprinkled around the school, which I did miss until checking closer, but it's not nearly as obvious either because even David got some, and Jeffersons is the wrong color.
I don't know if it's ep 1 or 2, but there's a conversation between Jefferson and Kate, and if you talk to him after she runs off upset and talk about the Kate-video he drops this weird line (especially for a teacher) about "Maybe she doth protest too much" and kinda victim-blaming her? Consider that she has often assisted him in class, it's even weirder. This leads into the suicide-event, where he's the last one to have talked to her before she runs off to kill herself, and if you pick Jefferson in the sit-down with the Principal afterwards he (Jefferson) lies (not obviously) about Max ignoring her calls (even if you did answer) to try to shift the blame on you.
Another less than obvious hint is that some of the art installations sprinkled throughout the campus, Jefferson is big into black-and-white photography (like Nathan), as he also mentions during the weird line in class about capturing you at your most vulnerable. The Dark Room itself also seems to be set up a little too professional to be merely Nathan's doing.
One hint I semi-missed that someone here mentioned is that when you are putting the clues together you notice Jeffersons car in the pile of photos of cars David was tracking, and if you tie together the coordinates you notice that Jefferson was also at the Dark Room Barn the same night, just before Nathan arrives there. I only noticed the car in the photos, not the date and place thing because I skimmed it.
The latest ep got a few more hints, but they aren't super obvious and relate to Nathan's phone messages that can be interpreted as coming from either his father or from Mr Jefferson, and a bit of weirdity that Jefferson is the one to show up during the End of the World Party to reveal the winners of the contest, seems like an odd place and time + he seems more involved with the party (there's obvious drugs/alcohol things going on when he strolls in that he doesn't pay any mind to) than he should be as a teacher, especially considering the events with Kate just earlier in the week.
Oh, and for the final cutscene I noticed the pants/shoes and height didn't match Nathan, before we saw the face.

Anyone else noticed anything more than this?

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Pimpmust posted:

One hint I semi-missed that someone here mentioned is that when you are putting the clues together you notice Jeffersons car in the pile of photos of cars David was tracking, and if you tie together the coordinates you notice that Jefferson was also at the Dark Room Barn the same night, just before Nathan arrives there. I only noticed the car in the photos, not the date and place thing because I skimmed it.

This one's actually a little more complicated than that. Jefferson doesn't drive his car to the Dark Room, he meets with Nathan at the gas station right beforehand and then they presumably carpool there together in Nathan's truck.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I wonder if he knows he's kidnapping someone with absolute power over space and time.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Reclaimer posted:

While dual-wielding most likely.

I feel like there should be a Chloe mod for Max Payne 3 now.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I wonder if he knows he's kidnapping someone with absolute power over space and time.

he knows because she is just like him.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
The reveal that Mr. Jefferson was behind a lot of it actually helps me make more sense of the rumors of him having sex with Rachael Amber. Like any relationship like that is going to have a major power imbalance, but I didn't initially think all that much of it because I was thinking about it in that quirky sort of teenage 'hot for teacher' sort of way, like the rumors were portraying it as. But thinking about it more I realize, yeah, of course Mr. Jefferson might do something like that. Even if Rachael was making advances on him like Victoria, he could refuse, but he didn't, because that power imbalance tied in with the complexities of a relationship plus a young person who's not as used to things like that as he is makes a perfect storm for manipulation, making it all the easier for him to kidnap her. To the extent that I'm surprised he didn't accept Victoria's advances, at least in that one scene in Episode 3, since it would probably make it a lot easier for him to kidnap her too.

Also how long are we sticking with spoiler tags? Someone suggested a week.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

PunkBoy posted:

I feel like there should be a Chloe mod for Max Payne 3 now.

:black101:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Xanderkish posted:

Also how long are we sticking with spoiler tags? Someone suggested a week.

Woops.
I unfortunately glanced the word "wheelchair" on the wikipedia page for LIS but not the context so I was always expecting characters to get hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Re: skipping dialogue, isn't there a way to mod this? You can skip lines you've heard before rewinding, maybe you could apply that flag (I have no idea what I'm talking about) to all lines all the time?

VagueRant posted:

I hate how despite the terrible dialogue and muddy dialogue choices, the barely serviceable gameplay with occasionally terribly designed puzzles (gently caress that time you had to prove to Chloe that you could time travel, I mean honestly)...This is 100% my game of the year.

Bloodborne was very mechanically solid and everything, but I just don't care about it anywhere near as much. Life Is Strange, despite its flaws is just the most interesting game I've played this year, and the one I'm the most passionate about.

(I really wish they would, like, patch some of the more tedious puzzles/sections though.)

You forgot to mention the cheapo character models that make the game look dated, though the lighting is pretty nice and somewhat makes up for it.

The game works so well I'm surprised something like this hasn't been done before. There's your typical world-ending event on the horizon, sure, but you're not a badass spaceship commander who constantly forgets about the mecha-squid invasion to go sex up aliens with his in the giant O'Neill cylinder. You're playing a regular teenager (with a twist) here so when she inevitably drops the impending Act of God - seen only a couple times through cryptic dream-o-vision - to go do teenager things, *my immersion* isn't at all compromised, specially with the kind of scenarios the game presents us with: mostly candid and personal situations we can all relate to, with a cast of (more or less) realistic people who are kept close throughout the story to allow you to develop a rapport as you personally witness the effect of your actions. This might all be seen as a twee indie-hipster simulator, but I'll take it because, after all, the best part of The Walking Dead - to mention a similar game - was its humanity (Lee's relationship with Clementine), not the who lives/who dies decisions, the arguments about supplies, the train puzzle or, God forbid, the goddamn zombies; and Life is Strange has humanity out the rear end.

• Locked thread