Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Mizuti posted:

It's been discussed before in this thread, but a lot of design decisions they made to make the game more "hardcore" were not to make the game genuinely challenging; the stuff was time-wasting padding straight out of Everquest 1. Their lead developers don't seem to distinguish between "hard fights" or "tough raid progression" and "literally impossible fights" or "unforgivingly tuned to the point of being punishing". Combined with the huge raid size requirements and anemic rewards for clearing the content, it made for an ugly experience.

Massive time investment to get any traction = / hardcore

Oh they drat well knew what a hard fight was and what an impossible fight was. They buffed a bunch of raid poo poo when guilds starting progressing further than Carbine was ready for. I don't remember the entire context, but I also know that after one patch or another they dialed the raid numbers back from bullshit overtune land and people suddenly started progressing. Mind you not clearing an entire raid first go, but starting to actually get further and further into fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
What I meant is that the game's developers think that EQ1 logistics and TBC attunements are good and valid game design in 2014-15. They don't seem to distinguish the value between a tough but doable fight and one that is deliberately skewed to make the players suffer.

Wildstar advertised itself as having huge, difficult, awesome raids that would be clear on how to improve if you messed up, but players discovered the end product's "challenge" was unfair and plain unfun. Instead of fights that were genuinely engaging, they were weighted to be grindy as hell or even literally impossible.

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 30, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Sir Vanderhosen posted:

You could go into veteran Skullcano wipe for 4 hours and eventually finish it. At that point you might think, "I didn't finish in time for silver, but at least I probably got some decent loot to make it easier next time!" but nope. They made the dungeons so that the only meaningful gear came from getting a gold medal. I'm pretty sure gold medals were legitimately impossible. When i stopped playing 3 or 4 months after release, I don't think anyone had gotten gold on skullcano or swordmaiden. Initially, the adventures at least gave decent gear but they of course had to put a stop to that. Then outside of dungeons the only thing to do was the awful daily zones. I ran those every single day and eventually got max rep with them. The reward for max rep? Nothing. It's the first time I've ever seen an MMO give out nothing for 30 days of daily quests.

When you did finally get "good" gear, the itemization was so screwed up that it was useless. Due to the way they distributed stats on looted gear vs crafted gear, stats would always be more optimized on crafted gear. If I recall right, I crafted gear with 100+ assault power on it and that was better than any gear you could get up until the second 40 man. It wasn't even just gear, there weren't any interesting mounts, titles, pets etc. Any of the things people generally try to acquire in a themepark mmo. There was no incentive to really do anything besides the same dungeons over and over to get attuned to run the same raids over and over. All for mediocre gear, so your "power level" never increased and everything stayed difficult. Hardcore.

The way to play Wildstar was hit 50, get enough crafting to make gear (only the bare minimum, max took a full year of crafting daily quests) and then pound your head against a wall forever.

The itemization was hosed but they did sort of a bandaid round of itemization halfway through the time that silvers were required, and the new items were good. Idk what happened before release, or I guess what's happened since then looking at the zany new stat list, but that one round of items kept me going way longer than I should have because things were looking up. Items that were the same quality as addventure purples, but they all had a special challenge you could complete to unlock something extra. Usually beating a specific dungeon boss while wearing the item. Very cool stuff, but uh, since it was just a bandaid pass it was just a shared loot table for all trash in all the dungeons that dropped the stuff. I like to think they farmed it out to some bullshit intern who didn't have anything to do with any of this garbage and he/she's going to be the next lord british or whatever.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Mizuti posted:

What I meant is that the game's developers think that EQ1 logistics and TBC attunements are good and valid game design in 2014-15. They don't seem to distinguish the value between a tough but doable fight and one that is deliberately skewed to make the players suffer.

Wildstar advertised itself as having huge, difficult, awesome raids that would be clear on how to improve if you messed up, but players discovered the end product's "challenge" was unfair and plain unfun. Instead of fights that were genuinely engaging, they were weighted to be grindy as hell or even literally impossible.

Then when they beat them, the Devs re-tuned the fights to be harder.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I'm still awed at how dumb carbine actually is

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Did they ever end up changing rune slots? When I played they were basically like gem slots in WoW (or at least how I remember them from TBC) with one major exception. The type and number of slots you got were random. So if you finally got some 10% drop but it only had one rune slot instead of three it was worthless. Or if you got a drop that had 3 rune slots that weren't useful for your class.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

The Moon Monster posted:

Did they ever end up changing rune slots? When I played they were basically like gem slots in WoW (or at least how I remember them from TBC) with one major exception. The type and number of slots you got were random. So if you finally got some 10% drop but it only had one rune slot instead of three it was worthless. Or if you got a drop that had 3 rune slots that weren't useful for your class.

WoW introduced randomised secondary stats and warforged items which is equally as bad so here we are.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Byolante posted:

WoW introduced randomised secondary stats and warforged items which is equally as bad so here we are.

To elaborate on this, most drops in WoW can get an additional tertiary stat (Like speed or leech), Warforged (which increases the ilevel by 6), and a gem socket (Which you may put any gem into). It is possible, though rare, for an item to have all three of those.

I'm fairly certain most people see those as a good thing, though, so how is that equally as bad as anything Carbine does?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Tertiary stats don't count against an item's budget, fights aren't balanced against them, and since top level stuff is on a lockout, don't really entice people to grind. There's literally no downside to them, it's just free stuff.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
It triggers wild fits of rage in some people who don't get perfect rolls on their drops, like Diablo 3.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Givin posted:

It triggers wild fits of rage in some people who don't get perfect rolls on their drops, like Diablo 3.

Good. gently caress those people.

Streyr
May 14, 2006
Penguin God

30.5 Days posted:

Tertiary stats don't count against an item's budget, fights aren't balanced against them, and since top level stuff is on a lockout, don't really entice people to grind. There's literally no downside to them, it's just free stuff.

I think Byolante was referring to the randomized suffix on items like Fireflash/Deft/etc which you can get from Raids, garrison missions, and what have you.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Streyr posted:

I think Byolante was referring to the randomized suffix on items like Fireflash/Deft/etc which you can get from Raids, garrison missions, and what have you.

Both. Speed is actually a direct dps increase because you can stack it to the point where you can replace your boot enchant with a pure dps one. Also unbudgeting sockets then adding them was garbage too. This introduces loot distribution issues when a dagger drops with a socket and 2 rogues want it but one already has the unsocketed version. Adding in the worry of a lockout actually makes it worse because the less times you will see a drop. Something like a warforged immersius trinket for instance could cause all the drama in the world.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Realistically anyone who cares enough to cause drama about raid loot would never make it into one of the two end game raid guilds, and nobody else is still subbed to raid wod anymore, so they can throw tantrums about the loot their followers give them while they wait for 7.0 all they want

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
What are the people who are still subbed to WoW up to anyways? I got the free week offer recently and seriously considered giving WoW another go, but it seems like there just isn't poo poo to do.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

CoffeeBooze posted:

What are the people who are still subbed to WoW up to anyways? I got the free week offer recently and seriously considered giving WoW another go, but it seems like there just isn't poo poo to do.

They log in, collect stuff from their garrisons, queue up garrison missions, and log out.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
HI there, if you are tired of WildStar might I recommend a great subscription based mmo, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Minrad posted:

Realistically anyone who cares enough to cause drama about raid loot would never make it into one of the two end game raid guilds, and nobody else is still subbed to raid wod anymore, so they can throw tantrums about the loot their followers give them while they wait for 7.0 all they want

The only people who could possibly be left at this point are the ones who only care about loot. What the gently caress else is there to even do.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I have yet to clear HFC Normal but I am beginning to question why go to the trouble? I can LFR for the ring and then wait out until the next expansion when all my gear will be worthless anyway. I can only get titles and mounts from Mythic which I am not going to do.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Byolante posted:

Both. Speed is actually a direct dps increase because you can stack it to the point where you can replace your boot enchant with a pure dps one. Also unbudgeting sockets then adding them was garbage too. This introduces loot distribution issues when a dagger drops with a socket and 2 rogues want it but one already has the unsocketed version. Adding in the worry of a lockout actually makes it worse because the less times you will see a drop. Something like a warforged immersius trinket for instance could cause all the drama in the world.

WoW doesn't have boot enchants anymore. The tertiary stats are rare enough and minor enough in practice to not be a game changer to anyone. If someone really gives enough of a crispy poo poo about loot to pitch a fit about a socket then I probably don't want to raid with that person anyway.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

BigPaddy posted:

I have yet to clear HFC Normal but I am beginning to question why go to the trouble? I can LFR for the ring and then wait out until the next expansion when all my gear will be worthless anyway. I can only get titles and mounts from Mythic which I am not going to do.

I finally gave up on regular raiding this week. I'm just going to pug normal until I finish the ring/tier, then maybe pug heroic later on if I get bored.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Anoia posted:

They log in, collect stuff from their garrisons, queue up garrison missions, and log out.

I am astounded that Blizzard hasn't released a cell phone app to allow players to do this without logging. Garrisons seemed tailor made for the mobile market.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

CoffeeBooze posted:

I am astounded that Blizzard hasn't released a cell phone app to allow players to do this without logging. Garrisons seemed tailor made for the mobile market.

It was probably too on the nose.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
NCSOFT's Q2 2015 numbers are out.

quote:

Lineage 1 - 85 billion KRW
Blade & Soul - 29 billion KRW
GW2 - 22 billion KRW
Aion - 20 billion KRW
Lineage 2 - 16 billion KRW
Wildstar - 2 billion KRW
Others - 20 billion KRW
Royalties - 20 billion KRW
:laffo:

The best part is that the morons on reddit are saying the numbers are so low because people are waiting for F2P. F2P will save the game. I wonder what it's like to live in such a state of delusion.

edit: Yeah the tertiary/warforged stats in WoW are a complete nonissue and are in no way relatable to the idiotic itemization in Wildstar.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 31, 2015

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Byolante posted:

You cannot "stack" speed unless you're magically lucky enough to get it on multiple relevant pieces. Also the speed enchant is now on your cloak and doesn't give lower stats than the non +speed enchant.

If an item drops with a socket, one person has an unsocketed version and the other person needs it as a major upgrade, it goes to the person who gets a major upgrade, no questions asked.

6 ilevels don't cause that much drama unless you are a huge, huge baby in which case you're not likely to be raiding with anyone for very long.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
2.075 Billion Korean Won = ~$1,782,000.00 at today's exchange rate. So they're down to less than $8 million a year income, assuming F2P doesn't boost the game.

http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/earnings.aspx for anyone who wants to read the full report.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

-Inu- posted:

The best part is that the morons on reddit are saying the numbers are so low because people are waiting for F2P. F2P will save the game. I wonder what it's like to live in such a state of delusion.

edit: Yeah the tertiary/warforged stats in WoW are a complete nonissue and are in no way relatable to the idiotic itemization in Wildstar.

Every other game on that list did better than Q1, Wildstar's the only one that went down. Even with the humble bungle, even with the F2P open beta.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

There seems to be a bit of anger at Carbine because one of their developers was asked if subscriber numbers were increasing and responded that they were. Of course, this earnings report demonstrates that this was a lie.

I wonder if this will actually catch on. Carbine has a long history of taking its player base for granted. This seems to have pushed a few people over the edge, and there really aren't that many people left.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I hope that NCSoft never closes down Wildstar. I want Wildstar to live forever as a warning for all MMO's to come.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Rexicon1 posted:

I hope that NCSoft never closes down Wildstar. I want Wildstar to live forever as a warning for all MMO's to come.

Vanagard was that
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanguard:_Saga_of_Heroes

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CoffeeBooze posted:

The same reason why they didn't add the earlier expansion's farm to the existing mobile app: they aren't keeping the farm/garrisons relevant beyond the expansion in which they are in.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

MisterBibs posted:

The same reason why they didn't add the earlier expansion's farm to the existing mobile app: they aren't keeping the farm/garrisons relevant beyond the expansion in which they are in.

So they have done plants vs zombies, harvest moon and now farmville. Whats next, puzzle and dragons?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Byolante posted:

So they have done plants vs zombies, harvest moon and now farmville. Whats next, puzzle and dragons?

Candy crush

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

CoffeeBooze posted:

I went for the free trial a while back because a friend bugged me about playing again. Played for a couple of hours, game blue screened my PC, didn't go back. That's my story.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Clicker Heroes...

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Roflan posted:

Clicker Heroes...

Arms warrior is already in the game

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

-Inu- posted:

What does the CEO of Carbine have on NCSoft? Because I thought they were quick to pull the plug on poo poo games. They must have killed some hookers in Seoul or something.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Clickpocalypse 2, then. An idler in which you have a party of characters automatically wander dungeons fight random mobs and kill bosses for loot and all you have to do is equip the loot and assign level up points.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

So, kind of like Majesty but below ground?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'm guessing that if f2p doesn't provide at least a 20 fold increase of earnings wildstar will just be shutdown. Seriously less than 600k in revenue a month? Is this right? They have to be paying their employees with peanuts.

• Locked thread