Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

In order for the pro Smash scene to actually use a built-in-tournament mode, it would need to be possible for that tournament bracket to run on across any number of local systems (either by LAN, or by connecting to an online-hosted bracket using a passcode). Players in a pending match would need to be allowed to play out that match on any of the local systems, with live syncing of the results to the other setups. Best of X sets must be possible, and the TO would need the ability to manually adjust the bracket in case something goes wrong. While we're dreaming, let's provide the option to bake the tournament-standard stage-picking process right into the game's UI.

Even if you pare it down to just online, players would still want Best of X sets and bracket administration/override, and you'd still need some form of external coordination to get everyone logged on at the same time.

None of this is or was ever remotely likely to happen and I'm kind of surprised that there were hardcore players hyped up for the mode. The Mariokart-style quasi-round-robin thing was more or less what I was expecting, so I'm not really fussed.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Sun Salutation now heals 2% c:

:yeah:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

In order for the pro Smash scene to actually use a built-in-tournament mode, it would need to be possible for that tournament bracket to run on across any number of local systems (either by LAN, or by connecting to an online-hosted bracket using a passcode). Players in a pending match would need to be allowed to play out that match on any of the local systems, with live syncing of the results to the other setups. Best of X sets must be possible, and the TO would need the ability to manually adjust the bracket in case something goes wrong. While we're dreaming, let's provide the option to bake the tournament-standard stage-picking process right into the game's UI.

Even if you pare it down to just online, players would still want Best of X sets and bracket administration/override, and you'd still need some form of external coordination to get everyone logged on at the same time.

None of this is or was ever remotely likely to happen and I'm kind of surprised that there were hardcore players hyped up for the mode. The Mariokart-style quasi-round-robin thing was more or less what I was expecting, so I'm not really fussed.

I think most people just wanted 1v1 best-of double-elminiation stock matches, like literally every tournament Nintendo sponsored and went to supported. Just an automated way to do what Challonge does for offline.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I just read some comments on the patch and people are unhappy with tournament mode - does it really not support 4p FFA tourneys? Sakurai whyyyyyy!!

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aston posted:

I just read some comments on the patch and people are unhappy with tournament mode - does it really not support 4p FFA tourneys? Sakurai whyyyyyy!!

Goon news, Aston!

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Greninja got buffed, it's the greatest day.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Holy loving poo poo these Wii Fit Trainer buffs, time to stretch out my legs

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Were there any major changes to Peach? She seems.. slower for some reason.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
How is my friend Robert doing

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Ruggington posted:

leaf shield is quicker and my power only grows

Is there another character with a leaf shield in this game, or do people actually use Mega Man's suicide attack?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Reinanigans posted:

How is my friend Robert doing

Got killed by a boar

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

What are the costs for the stages? Do we know yet?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Fritzler posted:

$1.99 each for WiiU.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fritzler posted:

http://www.smashbros.com/us/dlc/index.html

$2 like the other stages. All prices are listed here.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Did the Doc Mario stage not get released? Did that turn out to be fake or is it coming out later?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Guy A. Person posted:

Did the Doc Mario stage not get released? Did that turn out to be fake or is it coming out later?

https://twitter.com/YTgameonion/status/626995532129533952

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

A pretty big list of minor changes this patch, but here is the stuff that matters:

Marth/Lucina, Lucas, Robin, and Wii Fit Trainer all got massive buffs. Robin is stronger in general and has throw combos, all of WFT's aerials have more knockback, has stronger smashes, and sun salutation heals 2% now, and her grab doesn't whiff on short characters now. Lucas has a bigger grab range, and down tilt links into itself and grab. Marth/cina's aerials all have less landing lag and some moves do more damage too.

Luigi is probably busted as hell, because the f-air damage nerf just makes it easier for him to combo and they made the sweetspot for up B bigger. But, they added 3 frames to the endlag of fireballs!!!!! Also they nerfed Sheik's f-air damage and actually gave it two frames of lag instead of none.

They took out Fox's jab lock but buffed his rapid jab in return, and also gave some more knockback and a bigger hitbox to his down b. 20XX anyone? Just a little joke for you melee fans.

Thats pretty much all the big stuff. Lots of small things that don't really change how the characters play or anything for other characters. Thanks for reading.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

oh that's cool, good on those guys

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Louisgod posted:

Were there any major changes to Peach? She seems.. slower for some reason.

Placebo is a powerful thing in these updates. I was freaking out yesterday that Ike's back air had more lag but it turns out it was always like that. Peach is unchanged.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Guy A. Person posted:

oh that's cool, good on those guys

Actually, those guys are scum.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

mabels big day posted:

A pretty big list of minor changes this patch, but here is the stuff that matters:

Marth/Lucina, Lucas, Robin, and Wii Fit Trainer all got massive buffs. Robin is stronger in general and has throw combos, all of WFT's aerials have more knockback, has stronger smashes, and sun salutation heals 2% now, and her grab doesn't whiff on short characters now. Lucas has a bigger grab range, and down tilt links into itself and grab. Marth/cina's aerials all have less landing lag and some moves do more damage too.

Luigi is probably busted as hell, because the f-air damage nerf just makes it easier for him to combo and they made the sweetspot for up B bigger. But, they added 3 frames to the endlag of fireballs!!!!! Also they nerfed Sheik's f-air damage and actually gave it two frames of lag instead of none.

They took out Fox's jab lock but buffed his rapid jab in return, and also gave some more knockback and a bigger hitbox to his down b. 20XX anyone? Just a little joke for you melee fans.

Thats pretty much all the big stuff. Lots of small things that don't really change how the characters play or anything for other characters. Thanks for reading.

*scans this post for any mention of nerfing ZSS*

all is right with the world....

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

mabels big day posted:

Placebo is a powerful thing in these updates. I was freaking out yesterday that Ike's back air had more lag but it turns out it was always like that. Peach is unchanged.

At least I feel better about getting my rear end kicked by Robin yesterday.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Wii fit hell yeah.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
http://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_updates_%28SSB4%29/1.1.0_changelog

A handy guide for your patch note pleasure.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Its been a dark week for Smash fans.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Eh, it's one of the better weeks. Robin getting buffs, WFT getting buffs, Marth/Lucina getting buffs, and cool/hilarious costumes.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

We're still getting new characters later and we didn't have to pay for the disappointing tournament mode so really it's not too bad. Mostly I am happy that I can keep lying to myself that being a Lucina main isn't a terrible life choice.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

codenameFANGIO posted:

Actually, those guys are scum.

They only became remorseful after they realized how far the con had spread. This seems to happen a lot with well-intentioned hoaxes. Really who got anything out of it? I...guess Gamexplain and other news sites/channels because they make these videos fast and furious.

Wait a minute...in the comments there's one of the guys behind the hoax totally leading everyone from a few days ago when the video first went up.

What a poop.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Halogens posted:

We're still getting new characters later and we didn't have to pay for the disappointing tournament mode so really it's not too bad. Mostly I am happy that I can keep lying to myself that being a Lucina main isn't a terrible life choice.

It's a terrible life choice

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I'm glad the Dr. Mario stage is fake honestly. Just ripping the flat game art and using it as a backdrop screams :effort:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Christo posted:

I'm glad the Dr. Mario stage is fake honestly. Just ripping the flat game art and using it as a backdrop screams :effort:

I've always liked the background art in the Hyrule Castle 64 stage, doubly so more now that I learned it was made with an older version of Ocarina of Time in mind. Which makes sense considering how long that game was in development respectively.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I've always liked the background art in the Hyrule Castle 64 stage, doubly so more now that I learned it was made with an older version of Ocarina of Time in mind. Which makes sense considering how long that game was in development respectively.

I thought it was based off the Zelda NES map?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tender Bender posted:

I thought it was based off the Zelda NES map?

You talking about the scale model in the manual? Because it really isn't similar to that.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I made a stupid tourney to mess around in, just to test things out.

Goonsmash
ID#: 37550919348231
Pass: lljk

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Canned Panda posted:

Goonsmash

Is there any way to enter this information in from the gamepad

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is there any way to enter this information in from the gamepad
Yeah... very carefully!

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Some loser with a terrible connection gets the game called no contest and so no one gets to play that match in the tournament. :bravo:

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Canned Panda posted:

Goonsmash

I was gonna join this but some idiot set it to Omega stages and no items, so I made a fixed one:

True Goonsmash
Password: stairs

I turned off the stages that suck. Feel free to bitch about my terrible stage choices.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Any chance of a goon stamina smash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEgVOpJMWv4

• Locked thread