Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009
I just remembered that I have a Snake and Ninja action figure from MSG1 somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Andrast posted:

Yeah, it's stupid but it's not like the previous metal gears haven't had plenty of cringeworthy poo poo in them. Quiet having a bad outfit is about a billion times better than whatever the B&B unit in MGS4 was.
I've been watching Giant Bomb's Metal Gear Scanlon playthrough of MGS4 and Dan Ryckert said that the B&B happened because Kojima liked this real life group of women who were models and he wanted to fit them into the game somehow so he modeled them in the game as the B&B Corps. I've played through that game like 10 times before and somehow I never knew that until I heard him say it :laffo:

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Megasabin posted:

I felt like they were slightly less disorganized and insane than the others, barring the ending sequence (real life footage in an MGS game = 30 minute diatribe bordering on psychotic disorganization )

They're not any different. The boss death scenes and the gigantic Liquid rant go on for ages and tons of important dialogue is delivered in slow codec scenes. Love it or hate it, this is how all of the Solid games are (except for Ground Zeroes)

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

The "best" MGS is 4 because you can actually use all of the cool guns you get. If you have the audacity to fire any non-suppressed weapon in the other games you are instantly swarmed and killed.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

MGS3 is actually really easy to play as a pure kill everything shooter. Ground Zeroes and Peace Walker too.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

titties posted:

The "best" MGS is 4 because you can actually use all of the cool guns you get. If you have the audacity to fire any non-suppressed weapon in the other games you are instantly swarmed and killed.

Or you could shoot all the swarming enemies and have the best nightmare sequence ever in the river like a man

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

lol at MGS4 having actual gameplay

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Andrast posted:

lol at MGS4 having actual gameplay
It does.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DrNutt posted:

It's not a non-issue but yeah, TPP will probably be a good game in spite of it.

I use to think this stuff in games was a big issue but then I realized no normal mentally healthy person outside of the internet actually cares. There's far more important problems in the world then imaginary female characters in video games, and plenty of research to show that it doesn't matter.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Sorry to be a clueless networking arse head, but would this solve the problem?

http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/home-solutions/connect/powerline/dhp-329av-powerline-av-2-port-mini-adapter-starter-kit

e: also any other brands anyone can recommend. TP-Link seem pretty cheap but I've had shady results from their hardware before.

Bobby, just wanted to point you in the direction of the SHSC forum, as they're pretty on point for recommending hardware and diagnosing networking. try the parts thread for recommendations on a router - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671266

If you're looking for Ethernet-over-power extenders, I run two pairs of the TPLink units and they've been solid for a few years. East Coast America, your voltage may vary.

I just think you might get better results there, bro.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I said come in! posted:

I use to think this stuff in games was a big issue but then I realized no normal mentally healthy person outside of the internet actually cares. There's far more important problems in the world then imaginary female characters in video games, and plenty of research to show that it doesn't matter.

Good games are worth talking about and analyzing, it's more fun than just pooping in your hand on a gaming discussion forum and saying nothing about anything. It's just dumb to be completely dismissive of something no one here has played.

Of course there's more important things to do. We're all still posting here anyway.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Surlaw posted:

MGS3 is actually really easy to play as a pure kill everything shooter. Ground Zeroes and Peace Walker too.

Okay, you got me. I only played MGS1, the beginning of 2 (once I found out what was really going on with the game I sold it), 4, and Revengeance.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Surlaw posted:

Good games are worth talking about and analyzing, it's more fun than just pooping in your hand on a gaming discussion forum and saying nothing about anything. It's just dumb to be completely dismissive of something no one here has played.

Of course there's more important things to do. We're all still posting here anyway.

All these discussions have been is a gigantic shitstorm on Twitter with absolutely nothing being accomplished. This is a dead topic that isn't relevant. Arguably the whole "trying to change representation in games" argument has been going for over a year now, with nothing to show for it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, I think Kojima's really overrated. He gets all the credit for metal gear solid being fun but I'm pretty sure the most Kojima elements of the games are the worst part of the games and the parts everybody likes (sneaking around, killing dudes, hiding in boxes) are probably more the product of Konami's other designers and engineers more than Kojima himself. He comes up with all this crazy stuff that's pretty much Molyneux-esque but manages to push his team to actually deliver. (which is at least better than Molyneux who leaves it half-assed)

MGS3 was the best MGS because it had the least Kojima. It was mostly just cold war james bond poo poo, and even the bad guys weren't too crazy. Bee man? Flamethrower man? Sure, I'll buy that. Not too different than Jaws or Oddjob.

But even in MGS3 you have things like this, a note about the fight with The End:

What in the gently caress Kojima. :stare: How did you think that was a good idea? The guy is drinking his own kool-aid. He doesn't really care about good gameplay, he just wants to do crazy artistic ~my vision~ stuff. He's like the George Lucas of videogames.

Funny that you bring up George Lucas because this is the same revisionist screed that Star Wars fanboys write about Lucas: everything bad in Star Wars is his fault and everything good was somebody else. It doesn't work that way. Lucas/Kojima have had both really good and really bad ideas, that's about all that's worth saying on the subject.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I said come in! posted:

All these discussions have been is a gigantic shitstorm on Twitter with absolutely nothing being accomplished. This is a dead topic that isn't relevant. Arguably the whole "trying to change representation in games" argument has been going for over a year now, with nothing to show for it.

OK, so start another conversation instead of just yelling "who cares." Or don't and just ignore it.

titties posted:

Okay, you got me. I only played MGS1, the beginning of 2 (once I found out what was really going on with the game I sold it), 4, and Revengeance.

You should give 2 another shot, it plays pretty rough today but it's a really good balance of funny, stupid, and spooky. After you beat it you get to see all the marines with their pants down, a worthy reward.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Surlaw posted:

You really think we'll stop seeing trashy costumes in video games because one man won't be working on Metal Gear games?

Oh, no I wasnt saying that Kojima was the only guy doing it. I just meant that people will defend it in this instance (notable terrible poster "I said come in!" for example) because of Kojima and the industry in general is slowing moving away from it.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, I think Kojima's really overrated. He gets all the credit for metal gear solid being fun but I'm pretty sure the most Kojima elements of the games are the worst part of the games and the parts everybody likes (sneaking around, killing dudes, hiding in boxes) are probably more the product of Konami's other designers and engineers more than Kojima himself. He comes up with all this crazy stuff that's pretty much Molyneux-esque but manages to push his team to actually deliver. (which is at least better than Molyneux who leaves it half-assed)

MGS3 was the best MGS because it had the least Kojima. It was mostly just cold war james bond poo poo, and even the bad guys weren't too crazy. Bee man? Flamethrower man? Sure, I'll buy that. Not too different than Jaws or Oddjob.

But even in MGS3 you have things like this, a note about the fight with The End:

Quiet is just loving too much. Its just awkward.

I also fall in the category of thinking the MGS games are pretty fun to play but that the story and writing are terrible. And just flat out terrible not "so terrible that its great" or whatever.

I said come in! posted:

This is a dead topic that isn't relevant. Arguably the whole "trying to change representation in games" argument has been going for over a year now, with nothing to show for it.

The conversation isnt dead, (as evidenced by the fact that a lot of people want to talk about it, as you just said) is relevant (as evidenced by the fact that some games are portraying women really poorly) and there is a lot to show for it (as evidenced by the fact games and comic books and other mediums that are usually associated with man-children are slowing growing up and are showing women as humans rather than titties and rear end more often over the past few years). Its very much worth discussing because there are a lot of women who want to play games but dont want to look at objectified women while playing them. This poo poo is embarrassing. Playing a game like that around an actual human woman is loving embarrassing.

Maybe Quiet wont be a poo poo character (the fact that she doesnt speak or speaks very little and only wears a bikini while fighting in a warzone indicates that this wont be the case) which would be nice, because women dont mind sexy women in video games. The issue is with overly and childishly sexualized women in games. My girlfriend thought Bayonetta was cool as gently caress because she was a great character, and part of the great character was her sexuality. Videogames dont have a great history of pulling this off though, and MGS sure as gently caress doesnt. Maybe I will be wrong, but I doubt this changes with Quiet.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 31, 2015

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sometimes to be a true genius you have to break the rules, rest in peace Kojima.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
MGS1 and VR Missions were and are amazing games. The rest were not and just compounded Kojima's weaknesses.

These are my cold-hard edgy takes.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

So much Metal Gear Slander in this thread.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I'm ready to buy and play some video games on my Playstation 4.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

ufarn posted:

MGS1 and VR Missions were and are amazing games. The rest were not and just compounded Kojima's weaknesses.

These are my cold-hard edgy takes.

You're right about MGS1 and VR, wrong about the rest not being amazing except POOPS and MGS4

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I'm ready to buy and play some video games on my Playstation 4.

OK. Octodad is good and Hatoful Boyfriend is good. There aren't any others.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

EZipperelli posted:

:drat:

Content: Playing Rocket League with pubbies is like trying to play soccer in a YMCA public league. Everyone chases the ball like it's a free-for-all with absolutely no regard for teammates, theres absolutely NO semblance of setting up plays, your teammates end up hurting more than helping 99% of the time, and there's always that one rear end in a top hat who will sit in the goal like he's going to be a keeper of some type, but lets every god drat ball go past him every. single. time. Seriously? GTFO and go play offense. Shithead.

Sorry. I've been getting smashed lately with idiots who have no idea what they're doing. I'll go take a time out now. /rant

Play ranked until you luck into the 500s ratings, players there still aren't competent but there aren't as many mouthbreathers. Of course this presents a new problem of leavers not getting replaced, in doubles you're going up against parties that communicate most of the time, and in 3v3s it's tougher to have a big effect on the game with 5 other players.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Vote to Play has been officially announced. It explicitly says that V2P is only for PS4 games, so there's that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I said come in! posted:

*citation needed

Really, it's not a big issue by itself, but it's a part of how society treats women and if you don't think there are issues with that then lol.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DrNutt posted:

*citation needed

Really, it's not a big issue by itself, but it's a part of how society treats women and if you don't think there are issues with that then lol.

"I, the lone male, will save all of the wimmins from their video game oppressors."

That's what you sound like. That's not a little bit pathetic to you? What's in it for you to do this? Why is this the hill you want to fight and die on? It really means nothing, dude. At best it's just very boring.

Surlaw posted:

OK, so start another conversation instead of just yelling "who cares." Or don't and just ignore it.

"Question things, just don't question MY THINGS, i'm always right and only my echo chamber should exist."

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 31, 2015

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
Quiet might be progressive if maybe just maybe she was a beautiful fat woman of 400+ pounds or more instead of some skinny sub 300 pound b word........................ as it is this videogame is seriously pissing me of

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ruddha is showing us how little he cares by posting about it a bunch of times.

Be right back i have to drop this in the PYF Quotes thread.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Szurumbur posted:

A man whom bees inhabit and who can control them telepathically and by voice: essentially nothing special, grounded in reality, even.

Nah its still totally out there, but its not nearly as ridiculous. Its more something you'd see in a bond villain than like, an anime villain like MGS4. Also they do explain the guy keeps a queen on his person and uses vials of pheromones to lure the wasps around, real beekeepers do that poo poo, although not in combat obviously :cheeky:

MoreMetalBrian posted:

I dunno, MGS3 is pretty much the most-Kojima game he's done, besides probably Peacewalker. The stuff you mentioned about James Bond / Cold War...that's his wheelhouse. If he could have put Joy Division in it, he probably would have.

I did like peace walker a whole lot, it was the least anime and most straight pulp fiction MGS game there is. I wish I could get more like that. I guess MGS5 does look mostly straight, although there's that giant whale... :stare:

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
if you dont care about the masterwork metal gear solid series and hideo kojima the master of game there's something wrong with you

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Ruddha posted:

Quiet might be progressive if maybe just maybe she was a beautiful fat woman of 400+ pounds or more instead of some skinny sub 300 pound b word........................ as it is this videogame is seriously pissing me of

lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I've been watching Giant Bomb's Metal Gear Scanlon playthrough of MGS4 and Dan Ryckert said that the B&B happened because Kojima liked this real life group of women who were models and he wanted to fit them into the game somehow so he modeled them in the game as the B&B Corps. I've played through that game like 10 times before and somehow I never knew that until I heard him say it :laffo:

:kojima:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I did like peace walker a whole lot, it was the least anime and most straight pulp fiction MGS game there is. I wish I could get more like that. I guess MGS5 does look mostly straight, although there's that giant whale... :stare:

You're talking about the game where Kojima hired an anime VA to sing a song for the final boss where you fight a robot piloted by a girl in her underwear.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Looking forward to knowing more about that whale.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Aphrodite posted:

Ruddha is showing us how little he cares by posting about it a bunch of times.

Be right back i have to drop this in the PYF Quotes thread.

My friend, I don't think you get Ruddha

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

anime japan :stonk:

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I said come in! posted:

"Question things, just don't question MY THINGS, i'm always right and only my echo chamber should exist."

I didn't even agree with the guy (anyone saying Peace Walker isn't "anime" is insane), I just think it's dumb to tell people not to talk about something just because you don't find it interesting or relevant.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Captain Yossarian posted:

My friend, I don't think you get Ruddha
code:
.ignored {
  display: none;
}
means I never will. If only I could get people to stop quoting him.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Ruddha is a good poster and cool dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Surlaw posted:

I didn't even agree with the guy (anyone saying Peace Walker isn't "anime" is insane), I just think it's dumb to tell people not to talk about something just because you don't find it interesting or relevant.

You should have a reason for why you want to talk about this. Someone questioning you on it is not dumb. If you can't even come up with a valid reason for why this topic is important, then the problem is you, not me. Like I said before, I use to find this issue important, and then I really started to question why this was even a thing, and I couldn't answer that, and no one else who was very vocal about it on the internet could do the same. It was just "this is important because of reasons." This is nothing but an echo chamber, people just wanting to be outraged in order to feel important, but without actually doing anything important or changing anything. This is a topic for people who want to check off a little "I did a good deed today" box. So I gave up and decided this was a pointless topic that had no relevance, and so far i've yet to see a reason to change my mind back to how I use to feel. All i've seen from this issue is a bunch of people who aren't even affected by it, chase some celebrities off of Twitter.

• Locked thread