Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Who are the people who have to clean out these houses when these people die?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

the damned

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Rutibex posted:

but that sort of make my point for me. only people that are alone all the time will be able to create large hordes. if someone has a healthy home life at some point their family will tell them to clean up their poo poo and reign in the hoarding. it's only after the kids move out and the wife divorces you that hordes become epic and worthy of reality TV shows

Both of my parents are hoarders. I grew up in that kind of environment.

It's not at all about loneliness. I lived with my mom and my brother for a number of years. My mom always went out to visit other people. She'd have to turn down a lot of people who wanted to come visit us, and every few years, she would make the effort to make the house presentable for visitors. She was an elementary school teacher and was well liked in the community.

Hoarding is generally considered to be a form of OCD. Not being able to let things go is pretty obsessive compulsive. Many people think of neat freaks when they think OCD, but hoarders are on the other end of the spectrum. By god, if someone messed up my dad's pile of garbage, he would have a fit because he can't find anything if his garbage is rearranged.

My dad collects old radios and record players and that used to be most of the clutter in his house, but then there were broken clocks and broken toasters and packs of ketchup and used pudding cups and then just trash everywhere.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Demonachizer posted:

Did you move out or something?

This is almost a good burn but it doesn't quite make sense.

I laughed though.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Since hoarders seem to always have animal in the house, that's probably really loving nasty in person.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Seriously, this isn't even a joke. They really have to send Haz Mat suited up guys in to clean up that kind of filth.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Family members. My friend's aunt was a hoarder and when she died, her entire family had to fly to New York and stay there for 3 weeks just to clean up the garbage. There was a room filled to the brim with fireworks. She brought me back a couple signed X-men trades and a silver necklace still in the box.

Her aunt didn't have a working stove, so she lived off of ramen made with a hot plate. She had untreated diabetes and that's what did her in. Many hoarders never get new appliances when their old ones break down. They're too embarrassed to let someone into their home to install it and/or they have no way of clearing a path to get the old appliance out and a new one in. My mom hasn't had a functioning washing machine in nearly 10 years now. She was too embarrassed about the state of her basement, which was filled with garbage, dog poop and black mould due to flooding.

hopes
Apr 29, 2013
:yikes:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Charles Bukowski posted:

You'll find all of that but you won't find a small child.

:iceburn:

This is a thread of horrors.

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!
This thread is fantastic, even though it makes my skin crawl....

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Charles Bukowski posted:

:golfclap:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

ive seen many sights in my days on the internet but this is something truly memorable

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

e: changed bonfire to fire for syllabic purposes

social vegan fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 31, 2015

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

:perfect:

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

I should've realized that when someone says NMS in a hoarder horror thread, they goddamn mean NMS

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
This is amazing, but gently caress y'all for making me stare at this filth so closely. :mad:

I used to watch Hoarders all the time, so I'm fairly desensitized to this awful stuff, but that pad bathroom gave me pause.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

you were warned posted:

This is amazing, but gently caress y'all for making me stare at this filth so closely. :mad:

I used to watch Hoarders all the time, so I'm fairly desensitized to this awful stuff, but that pad bathroom gave me pause.

My favorite episode of Hoarders is the guy who got removed from his mom's home when he was a kid, and placed into the custody of his sister on the other end of the country. In the episode, he returns to his mom's hoard lair as an adult and you can tell in every scene that it's like he's visiting his own personal Silent Hill.

It is delicious.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

deadly_pudding posted:

My favorite episode of Hoarders is the guy who got removed from his mom's home when he was a kid, and placed into the custody of his sister on the other end of the country. In the episode, he returns to his mom's hoard lair as an adult and you can tell in every scene that it's like he's visiting his own personal Silent Hill.

It is delicious.

the best hoarders eps are when they clean up the mess only to find years of neglect have made the house structurally unsound and it gets condemned anyway. lol owned

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
I like the one where the man who never cleaned some 10-15y of piled up shed dog hair, and after the dog died, hoarded huge piles of it because it was the only way to remind him of the dog.

Alexios
Dec 31, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

It is delicious.

Wanna meet that episode

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014

bikesonyx fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 31, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Alexios posted:

Wanna meet that episode

Season 2, Episode 1, episode 8 overall. "Augustine". Had to do some googlin.
Bonus: Jason, the son, is a massive neckbeard and I bet he has a forums account.

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014

deadly_pudding posted:

Season 2, Episode 1, episode 8 overall. "Augustine". Had to do some googlin.
Bonus: Jason, the son, is a massive neckbeard and I bet he has a forums account.

Did you two see the episode with the lady who has to carry her poo outside :barf:
I wanted her to drop that pan so bad, then she stopped the crew so she could sniff her own feces and urine out of a bottle

Edit: Season 6 Episode 2

bikesonyx fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 31, 2015

PsionicAnt
Jul 16, 2001
Lmao that lady was a trip. Hoarders is the poo poo I'm sad they don't make new ones anymore

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

bikesonyx posted:

Did you two see the episode with the lady who has to carry her poo outside :barf:
I wanted her to drop that pan so bad, then she stopped the crew so she could sniff her own feces and urine out of a bottle

Edit: Season 6 Episode 2

Yeah, I saw that episode. It was really loving gross. :barf:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The Liquid Cat Lady was the WOAT.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
My favourite episode of hoarders was the one where the guy's wife died when she was supposed to be meeting him for dinner and he started hoarding rats...was cute/really sad

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

this is the saddest thread

Goldie The Mack
Nov 25, 2005

Go on and stick yo' seff

Holy gently caress! That can't be real.

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

This is a good thread

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

badass

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Charles Bukowski posted:

:thurman:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I passed my phone over to my wife to show her this picture, and within 10 seconds she gave it back in disgust, claiming that she could all of a sudden 'smell the picture'.

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

Do realtors have to reveal if a house was a hoarder house like they have to with meth houses and murder houses?

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
There is a mental health problem in this country.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

let me in mom!!! posted:

Lmao that lady was a trip. Hoarders is the poo poo I'm sad they don't make new ones anymore

They still make new episodes, it got renamed Hoarders: Family Secrets and is on Lifetime instead, it still owns

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Someone with a bottle of vodka, a rag, a lighter, and a decent throwing arm.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

Do realtors have to reveal if a house was a hoarder house like they have to with meth houses and murder houses?

A realtor showed my wife and I a house that was owned by a hoarder. The cellar was full of dog poo poo, one couldn't access the front porch and there were other rooms just full of assorted stuff that the doors didn't even open up all the way. The house just came on the market and the realtor had never been in the house before. She was new to field and was quite embarrassed. We didn't buy it. Sad, it was a an interesting 1820's Greek Revival style house on the outside, but chocked full o' crap on the inside.

There's seems to be quite a lot of hoarders in eastern NY/Vermont area. You can spot them just by driving by the house - crapped pile higher than the windows, porches loaded with assorted boxes and poo poo, yards look like a continuous yard sale of the damned and even their cars are brimming full of flotsam and jetsam. A story about someone with dozens of half dead cats and dogs is usually on the local news at least once a month. There's usually also a car or two in the Wal-mart parking lot owned by a hoarder as well - dumpster on wheels. It's like a loving epidemic.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I absolutely love watching Hoarders and revelling in watching their completely demented worldview of hoarding crumble over the hour. 'I need that rock! I NEED IT!' Plus the appeal of seeing tons of stuff hauled out from their stanky houses.

Best thread.

As for Hoarders, one of my favourite moments is the food hoarding lady who eats some nondescript black goo that's been in her fridge for YEARS and she's all 'It's like candy!' To the disgust of everyone involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I could never watch hoarders. I know all reality shows are basically mental illness tourism, but hoarders is just on another level.

• Locked thread